C-Class (W206) 2021 to

Burmester 3d sound system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2022 C300
Burmester 3d sound system

what do you guys think of burmester 3d system in new c class? honestly a bit disappointed. sounds beautiful at low and medium volumes, but once i play loud, loses clarity and literally ur hurts my ears, and also do not understand “3d” part of it. let me know what you guys think.
Old 05-26-2022, 03:53 AM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 C300 Sedan
I thought it’s much improved over my 2020 system.
Old 05-26-2022, 08:01 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes-Benz C 300 2022 4MATIC
I'm not audiophile but to me it sounds fine when very loud. It has many setting to tune for your liking. If I recall correctly it has asked to set many audio related settings with audio samples when I was creating my profile.
As I understand 3D means that it can pinpoint audio for particular place in the cabin. For C class it's front or rear seat only. For S class I have seen in some review it can be each seat. Also spatial feeling. But this one I think depends on the audio quality. I don't think it can be appreciated when listening not HD radio, SirruisXM or from Bluetooth devices without quality codecs support.

Last edited by Serg675; 05-26-2022 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-27-2022, 12:22 AM

2022 C300
I typically listen to rap music, and it tends to hurt my ears when I play the music loud (typically just the voice). Everything else though sounds great. Using apple carplay to listen as well.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by mblover2472
I typically listen to rap music, and it tends to hurt my ears when I play the music loud (typically just the voice). Everything else though sounds great. Using apple carplay to listen as well.
I remember that it was ask to set vocal level or so. May be you need to play with this tuning.
Old 05-27-2022, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Serg675
I remember that it was ask to set vocal level or so. May be you need to play with this tuning.
Actually it's nothing about vocal level. Just checked. But still recomend to play with personal audio profile. It can be configured in the Media->Settings.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:35 PM

2022 C300
Actually it's nothing about vocal level. Just checked. But still recomend to play with personal audio profile. It can be configured in the Media->Settings.

When I do the sound personalization and turn up the knob for 3d effect I do not hear a difference. What am I supposed to hearing?
Old 05-28-2022, 03:56 PM

When I do the sound personalization and turn up the knob for 3d effect I do not hear a difference. What am I supposed to hearing?
To be honest I don't know either. I can hear difference for surround sound knob but 3D. Spatial audio tech (aka 3D) like Dolby Atmos and Sony 360 require that audio source is recorded in special format with spatial info encoded. So mp3, acc or whatever will not make any difference. May be there is the similar case here. But expectation is that tune is used to set personal audio profile is supposed to have spatial parts since they call that effect as 3D. Or may be it's just marketing buzz word which can be the case since MB has 3D and enhanced 3D.
Old 05-28-2022, 05:54 PM

2022 C300
To be honest I don't know either. I can hear difference for surround sound knob but 3D. Spatial audio tech (aka 3D) like Dolby Atmos and Sony 360 require that audio source is recorded in special format with spatial info encoded. So mp3, acc or whatever will not make any difference. May be there is the similar case here. But expectation is that tune is used to set personal audio profile is supposed to have spatial parts since they call that effect as 3D. Or may be it's just marketing buzz word which can be the case since MB has 3D and enhanced 3D.
gotcha. yeah I wasn’t hearing anything either. Can you control the equalizer after configuring the sound personalization?
Old 07-28-2022, 05:01 PM

2022 Mercedes Benz c300 maitc
what do you guys think of burmester 3d system in new c class? honestly a bit disappointed. sounds beautiful at low and medium volumes, but once i play loud, loses clarity and literally ur hurts my ears, and also do not understand “3d” part of it. let me know what you guys think.
At low and medium volumes the speakers do sound great but are you guys having issues with your surround speakers making a screeching sound when getting into higher volumes.

The speakers I’m talking about are the little ones located behind the rear view mirror in the ceiling. As soon as I set them to the 3d surround mode they get really distorted and screechy. I’m not sure if it’s a damaged/faulty speaker or they just aren’t capable to handle louder volumes.

I’m on the edge on calling my dealership to get them checked out but I figured you guys could help out.
Old 07-29-2022, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by huss44
I’m not sure if it’s a damaged/faulty speaker
Seems like this. I don't expierience this and I like my music loud.
Old 07-30-2022, 07:54 AM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 C300 Sedan
Seems like this. I don't expierience this and I like my music loud.

I don’t have this issue either and I constantly blast my music too.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2022 C300
Originally Posted by huss44
At low and medium volumes the speakers do sound great but are you guys having issues with your surround speakers making a screeching sound when getting into higher volumes.

The speakers I’m talking about are the little ones located behind the rear view mirror in the ceiling. As soon as I set them to the 3d surround mode they get really distorted and screechy. I’m not sure if it’s a damaged/faulty speaker or they just aren’t capable to handle louder volumes.

I’m on the edge on calling my dealership to get them checked out but I figured you guys could help out.
I had the same issue. The 3d speakers behind the rear mirror would create distortion at certain frequencies, so only some songs had the problem. When turning the 3D slider all the way down in the personal sound profile 90% of the distortion would go away, but I guess it just turns off those speakers, but I shouldn't have to do that. (There would still rarely be some distortion in the speaker on the center of the dashboard and the rear speakers). I took it to the dealership and they just ended up replacing the tweeters which apparently were faulty, but from what I remembered they didn't have any problems at all. When I asked them why they didn't look into the 3D speakers which is what I brought in for, they just said that the speakers had no issues, and that it was just that the plastic casing would vibrate and cause that noise, especially here in the south with 100 degree sun the plastic would expand due to heat and such. That explanation honestly didn't make sense to me as it was clearly the speakers making the distortion not the materials, but since apparently they weren't faulty there was nothing they could do with the warranty. Now that you experienced the same problem I don't think a got a faulty sound system, but rather that there is a flaw with the speakers on these first year models. I'm surprised almost no one has complained about it, maybe it is something insignificant and most people are not audiophiles per say. Also from what I hear there isn't many models with the "3D" part of the Burmester or even the normal Burmester option due to shortage, so maybe that's why.
Old 10-14-2022, 02:30 AM

2022 C300
I recently got my 2022 w206 with the burmester package and while it seems more powerful, I’m noticing a lot of rattling from the bass. This starts at medium volumes and gets much worse at high volumes. I have the bass set to 0 on the eq and in the middle of the bass matrix. I used to have a w205 with burmester and never had any rattling issues with the front bass.

Curious if anyone else has noticed this? I have also noticed some distortion from the 3D speakers at higher volumes.
Old 10-14-2022, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by mlrmb
I recently got my 2022 w206 with the burmester package and while it seems more powerful, I’m noticing a lot of rattling from the bass. This starts at medium volumes and gets much worse at high volumes. I have the bass set to 0 on the eq and in the middle of the bass matrix. I used to have a w205 with burmester and never had any rattling issues with the front bass.

Curious if anyone else has noticed this? I have also noticed some distortion from the 3D speakers at higher volumes.
Don't experience anything like this. Have 3D set and bass at +4. Have some heavy metal tunes among others. Sounds great.
I guess you need to push your dealer to check and replate speakers or subwoofer or both.
Old 10-16-2022, 06:01 AM

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2022 C300
Sounds like the amplifier (contains the chip in shortage, reason burmester has been getting canceled) is busted. If all speakers are distorted, more likely this the issue than each individual speaker.
Old 10-16-2022, 12:15 PM

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts
2023 C Class
Wouldn't be more honorable for MB to install a chip-missing-crippled Burmester system (wiring and metal covered speakers) for those like me who ordered a top trim, and later install whatever is missing when gets available?
I would totally understand if they told me: "this is you car, burmester is not 100% complete but as soon as we receive the chip we will install it here at the dealership, we will give you a call".
I wouldn't mind waiting couple of months to get whatever I paid for, because I understand the chip shortage situation.

Maybe easier said than done.
Old 10-18-2022, 01:28 PM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by giovane
Wouldn't be more honorable for MB to install a chip-missing-crippled Burmester system (wiring and metal covered speakers) for those like me who ordered a top trim, and later install whatever is missing when gets available?
I would totally understand if they told me: "this is you car, burmester is not 100% complete but as soon as we receive the chip we will install it here at the dealership, we will give you a call".
I wouldn't mind waiting couple of months to get whatever I paid for, because I understand the chip shortage situation.

Maybe easier said than done.
wish they did this instead of cancelling thousands of burmester builds. There’s going to be a lot of unwanted c classes sooner or later.
Old 10-19-2022, 01:51 AM

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2022 C300
At least MB upgraded base speaker systems after Burmester was removed as a build option for new orders. VINs ending under 200000 are left with speakers worse than the ones everyone is complaining about LOL.
Old 10-19-2022, 01:54 AM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by 818benz
At least MB upgraded base speaker systems after Burmester was removed as a build option for new orders. VINs ending under 200000 are left with speakers worse than the ones everyone is complaining about LOL.
wait reall? Where did you get this info?
Old 01-04-2023, 05:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
GLE W167
Originally Posted by alex15
I had the same issue. The 3d speakers behind the rear mirror would create distortion at certain frequencies, so only some songs had the problem. When turning the 3D slider all the way down in the personal sound profile 90% of the distortion would go away, but I guess it just turns off those speakers, but I shouldn't have to do that. (There would still rarely be some distortion in the speaker on the center of the dashboard and the rear speakers). I took it to the dealership and they just ended up replacing the tweeters which apparently were faulty, but from what I remembered they didn't have any problems at all. When I asked them why they didn't look into the 3D speakers which is what I brought in for, they just said that the speakers had no issues, and that it was just that the plastic casing would vibrate and cause that noise, especially here in the south with 100 degree sun the plastic would expand due to heat and such. That explanation honestly didn't make sense to me as it was clearly the speakers making the distortion not the materials, but since apparently they weren't faulty there was nothing they could do with the warranty. Now that you experienced the same problem I don't think a got a faulty sound system, but rather that there is a flaw with the speakers on these first year models. I'm surprised almost no one has complained about it, maybe it is something insignificant and most people are not audiophiles per say. Also from what I hear there isn't many models with the "3D" part of the Burmester or even the normal Burmester option due to shortage, so maybe that's why.
I have a 2020 W167 (GLE 450) and have the exact same problem! Surround speakers get scratchy at certain frequencies and I've identified which songs / segments cause that (e.g., Good Bad and Ugly theme by Ennio Morricone, 'Greenback bogie' 'Suits' version). Was there any resolution to this problem? The system sounds fantastic and I like the 3D setting with equalizer set to zero for Bass, Mid and Treble. But this scratching sounds are a downer.
Old 01-04-2023, 10:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2022 C300
Originally Posted by CarLover73
I have a 2020 W167 (GLE 450) and have the exact same problem! Surround speakers get scratchy at certain frequencies and I've identified which songs / segments cause that (e.g., Good Bad and Ugly theme by Ennio Morricone, 'Greenback bogie' 'Suits' version). Was there any resolution to this problem? The system sounds fantastic and I like the 3D setting with equalizer set to zero for Bass, Mid and Treble. But this scratching sounds are a downer.
Nope, no resolution. Took into the dealership twice, both times they claimed the technicians could not replicate the issue, and that they could not keep on trying because listening to the music at higher levels could cause hearing damage. Found it weird since I think the problem is very clear to hear, especially with the certain parts of songs I told them to listen to where it is very evident. The advisor that took my car in even heard and acknowledged the problem, and wrote down the notes with me before handing off the car the technicians in the shop. But since he was just an advisor and not an actual tech, apparently his word doesn't count. So him and I apparently just hear an issue that can't be "replicated". I kinda gave up on it, especially since I can't find anyone else having a similar issue online.
The following users liked this post:
CarLover73 (01-05-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 10:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,831 Likes on 2,412 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by CarLover73
Originally Posted by alex15
Nope, no resolution. Took into the dealership twice, both times they claimed the technicians could not replicate the issue, and that they could not keep on trying because listening to the music at higher levels could cause hearing damage. Found it weird since I think the problem is very clear to hear, especially with the certain parts of songs I told them to listen to where it is very evident. The advisor that took my car in even heard and acknowledged the problem, and wrote down the notes with me before handing off the car the technicians in the shop. But since he was just an advisor and not an actual tech, apparently his word doesn't count. So him and I apparently just hear an issue that can't be "replicated". I kinda gave up on it, especially since I can't find anyone else having a similar issue online.
Not sure if this helps or we are talking about the same issue with the system but there was a common issue with the Burmester system on the GLE (V167) addressed through software:
Post #53: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post8278595
Post #57: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post8279094
Post #86: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post8323929
Post #98: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post8389456
Post #106: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post8390927
Post #130: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post8550942