C-Class (W206) 2021 to

Clunking Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c43
Clunking Noise

Yesterday I picked up my 2022 C300. I drove 61 miles from the dealer to my house and everything seemed fine, or maybe not since I was enjoy the music in my new car. Today I drive it and noticed that the car makes clunking noise in the front every time I brake. I won't be able to take it to the dealer until Friday the soonest so I will have to park it. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what do you think the issue could be?
Old 06-02-2022, 09:21 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes-Benz C 300 2022 4MATIC
3 weeks, 400 miles. No clunking noise during braking so far. Kept music off today to listen.
The following users liked this post:
Vinxboy (06-02-2022)
Old 06-02-2022, 04:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
F150 Lariat
Originally Posted by Vinxboy;[url=tel:8573686
8573686[/url]]Yesterday I picked up my 2022 C300. I drove 61 miles from the dealer to my house and everything seemed fine, or maybe not since I was enjoy the music in my new car. Today I drive it and noticed that the car makes clunking noise in the front every time I brake. I won't be able to take it to the dealer until Friday the soonest so I will have to park it. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what do you think the issue could be?

there is a bulletin out on it. Take it to the dealer. I had the same thing and they replaced the part today. But it is still making the noise so the dealer filed something with Mercedes today. 60 miles was about the time mine starting happening too. Good luck! I look forward to being able to drive my car at some point…
Old 06-02-2022, 05:46 PM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 C300 Sedan
Can someone post the tab on this as I haven’t been able to find anything online about it.
Old 06-02-2022, 06:23 PM

F150 Lariat
Originally Posted by Dstopsie;[url=tel:8574221
8574221[/url]]Can someone post the tab on this as I haven’t been able to find anything online about it.
My dealer is supposed to call me. Do I just ask them what ‘tab’ it is?

Old 06-02-2022, 08:58 PM

2020 C300 Sedan
Originally Posted by scriptx
My dealer is supposed to call me. Do I just ask them what ‘tab’ it is?

sorry for the typo- should have been TSB.
Old 06-07-2022, 02:07 PM

2020 C300 Sedan
Hi

have about 81 miles on my new C300 and I am hearing and feeling the same thing. It feels and sounds more like a thumping noise as I brake rather than a clunk. TI can both hear it no feel it when braking. It seems to be coming from the left side, drivers side of the car. Unreal, my car has 81 miles on it. But honestly I heard this when the car was 3 days old with 30 miles on it. I thought it was the chair I had in the truck that slid around and made the noise. I find it does not have any impact on the ability of the car to brake, and it only happens when I brake, and not all the time. I am going to call my service advisor to see if they have any similar reported issues. I am not rushing in to the dealer to get it fixed asap, because I don’t want them pulling part everything to find it. It would be better if they have similar reported issues. Swill keep you updated on what happens. This is ridiculous, never had an issue with my prior C300’s.. ever!

update: just spoke to my service advisor and he hasn’t had any cars with this issue and he had the shop foreman check and there are NO service bulletins on this issue. This is at Keyes Mercedes in Sherman Oaks, CA. I have to wait to take it in when they can give me a loaner because I want them to drive it without me. With covid cases rising in Los Angeles, and my being severely immune compromised, I don’t drive in my car with anyone. So i would rather drop it there, and let them figure it out. Can anyone say Lemon Law!!!!!! I know too soon for that, but don’t think I wont take action on that if needed. Not going to deal with the thump for 3 years.

Last edited by Dstopsie; 06-07-2022 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Typo

Trending Topics

Old 06-07-2022, 02:41 PM

F150 Lariat
Originally Posted by Dstopsie;[url=tel:8576494
8576494[/url]]Hi

have about 81 miles on my new C300 and I am hearing and feeling the same thing. It feels and sounds more like a thumping noise as I brake rather than a clunk. TI can both hear it no feel it when braking. It seems to be coming from the left side, drivers side of the car. Unreal, my car has 81 miles on it. But honestly I heard this when the car was 3 days old with 30 miles on it. I thought it was the chair I had in the truck that slid around and made the noise. I find it does not have any impact on the ability of the car to brake, and it only happens when I brake, and not all the time. I am going to call my service advisor to see if they have any similar reported issues. I am not rushing in to the dealer to get it fixed asap, because I don’t want them pulling part everything to find it. It would be better if they have similar reported issues. Swill keep you updated on what happens. This is ridiculous, never had an issue with my prior C300’s.. ever!

update: just spoke to my service advisor and he hasn’t had any cars with this issue and he had the shop foreman check and there are NO service bulletins on this issue. This is at Keyes Mercedes in Sherman Oaks, CA. I have to wait to take it in when they can give me a loaner because I want them to drive it without me. With covid cases rising in Los Angeles, and my being severely immune compromised, I don’t drive in my car with anyone. So i would rather drop it there, and let them figure it out. Can anyone say Lemon Law!!!!!! I know too soon for that, but don’t think I wont take action on that if needed. Not going to deal with the thump for 3 years.
Welcome to thump, clunk, knock club and I feel your pain. The dealer has mine longer than I have had it since I took possession.

Old 06-07-2022, 02:59 PM

2020 C300 Sedan
Welcome to thump, clunk, knock club and I feel your pain. The dealer has mine longer than I have had it since I took possession.

oh wow. We’re you ever to find out about the service bulletin on it? Because my SA said there is none per his Shop foreman. Once I take it in to the dealer, I will keep the forum posted. Have to wait until they can give me a loaner. Not going to deal with this bs for 3 years, thank god CA has a Lemon Law protection.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:12 PM

F150 Lariat
Not yet. He said he would look it up when I talked to him this morning. They are seven days into a 30 day limit for lemon law in WA. It’s a second vehicle for me so luckily I am not put out too much other than a little embarrassment from friends wanting to see it and I only have a ‘it’s broke and at the dealer’ reply. I have only bought 8 new vehicles in my life and this being the first time this has happened and my first Mercedes has me thinking I might live to regret my decision.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:33 PM

2020 C300 Sedan
Not yet. He said he would look it up when I talked to him this morning. They are seven days into a 30 day limit for lemon law in WA. It’s a second vehicle for me so luckily I am not put out too much other than a little embarrassment from friends wanting to see it and I only have a ‘it’s broke and at the dealer’ reply. I have only bought 8 new vehicles in my life and this being the first time this has happened and my first Mercedes has me thinking I might live to regret my decision.
I don’t have a second vehicle to drive. And I’m immune compromised so I don’t want to sit at the dealer. And I’m not going to be without a car. Hell no!

This is my third C300 and I never had any issues with my other two. This is quite upsetting. Trying not to lose it on them, yet. It’s just weird cause I really think I felt this the 3rd day I had the car with less than 30 miles on it. But was t sure. And then today bam, everything I braked there it was.
Old 06-07-2022, 04:08 PM

2020 C300 Sedan
HI

So I reached out to Mercedes Benz on instagram and they told me to report the issue to MBUSA. Been on hold for 20 minutes. Reached out to the GSM who got me my car and he offered to get it in for service for me, and he is looking into getting a loaner faster for me. I checked up on the lemon law in CA and it is 30 days also, if the dealer has the car for 30 days and can’t repair it. I had similar drama with a BMW years and years ago, and that car never was fixed. Ever, finally got rid of it. Hopefully they can figure out what it is.
Old 06-07-2022, 04:48 PM

2020 C300 Sedan
Originally Posted by Dstopsie
I don’t have a second vehicle to drive. And I’m immune compromised so I don’t want to sit at the dealer. And I’m not going to be without a car. Hell no!

This is my third C300 and I never had any issues with my other two. This is quite upsetting. Trying not to lose it on them, yet. It’s just weird cause I really think I felt this the 3rd day I had the car with less than 30 miles on it. But was t sure. And then today bam, everything I braked there it was.

update

My GSM came through and got me a loaner so I could bring the car in tomorrow morning. . So lets see what they come up with. The damn car better to do it when its there!!! Will update when i have any news

Last edited by Dstopsie; 06-07-2022 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 06-07-2022, 04:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
E Class 2017
Could the clunking noise be associated with these early US C300s being stuck in the VPC for months?
Old 06-07-2022, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by webby87
Could the clunking noise be associated with these early US C300s being stuck in the VPC for months?
My says 09/21 on the plate. So far no clunking (fingers crossed).
Old 06-07-2022, 05:42 PM

2020 C300 Sedan
Originally Posted by webby87

Have no idea. It’s not just the noise you can hear, you can also feel it on the brake pedal. So for me its a combo if a thump/clunk and the feel on the brake pedal.

my car was made 10/2021. Just checked the door jams.

Last edited by Dstopsie; 06-07-2022 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Add content
Old 06-07-2022, 05:46 PM

Have no idea. It’s not just the noise you can hear, you can also feel it on the brake pedal. So for me its a combo if a thump/clunk and the feel on the brake pedal.
Does it feel like ABS works even if it shall not?
Old 06-07-2022, 05:48 PM

2020 C300 Sedan
Originally Posted by Serg675
Does it feel like ABS works even if it shall not?

at first i thought it did feel like abs, but then the more I braked the more it does not. Just like a thump as an brake,. It has a noise and a feel to it. I can hear the noise, and I can feel it on the brake pedal as I brake. And I am not breaking hard.
Old 06-08-2022, 04:26 PM

2020 C300 Sedan
Car is at dealer today.

I decided to file a complaint with NTSB and I also called MBUSA to file an Incident report. I want it on record from the get go that there is an issue with braking with the car. Filing with NTSB was done because this could be as safety issue with operating the car.

I first noticed this noise 3 days after I got the car. I did notice right away when I first drove it that there is way more pedal play than on my 2020. There is also more play than on the C300 loaner they gave me.

so far dealer hasn’t even looked at the car cause it hasn’t moved or be driven since I dropped it off. Thanks to Mercedes me I can see if it’s been test driven.

the plot thickens
Old 06-08-2022, 04:34 PM

when I first drove it that there is way more pedal play than on my 2020
I think it's due to recuperation. It seems that if you apply brakes sligthly it does recuprative braking first at some degree instead of using calipers. I think that nothing is wrong with this if tuned properly. But clunking is definitely not OK.
Old 06-08-2022, 04:57 PM

2020 C300 Sedan
Originally Posted by Serg675
I think it's due to recuperation. It seems that if you apply brakes sligthly it does recuprative braking first at some degree instead of using calipers. I think that nothing is wrong with this if tuned properly. But clunking is definitely not OK.

it’s kind of weird. It makes a noise like a clunk and/or thumping sound which you can both hear it and feel it as you press on the brake pedal. I have never in 45 years of owning cars had a car do that. It’s not normal. My prior 2 C300’s didn’t do this at all.
Old 06-09-2022, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c43
Im noticing that this issue is reported only for the c300 with the AMG line package.....I experienced this myself on two different c300 exclusive trim with AMG, Dealer non AMG models brake fine??? This is weird yet interesting....
Old 06-10-2022, 12:36 AM

2020 C300 Sedan
Originally Posted by Vinxboy
Im noticing that this issue is reported only for the c300 with the AMG line package.....I experienced this myself on two different c300 exclusive trim with AMG, Dealer non AMG models brake fine??? This is weird yet interesting....

i have the AMG, exclusive trim

Dealer has now had my car for 2 days and I haven’t heard one word from them. Called today and service advisor never called me back. These morons drove it for 7 minutes and d I had specifically told them to drive it at lease 15 minutes. The longer they keep it the closer to the 30 day lemon law time period I get.
Old 06-10-2022, 01:00 AM

I have AMG package with AMG breaks. No issues so far (fingers crossed).
Old 06-10-2022, 02:23 AM

Received 396 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
To differentiate the clunking noise from a normal ABS in action, maybe, one can purposefully trigger ABS in an empty parking lot?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clunking Noise