C-Class (W206) 2021 to

Headlight issue-digital light package (dark shadows below the headlight line)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 11:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55
Any updates on this? I have the same issue with a 22SL.

Black spots in the middle of the light

Last edited by jjj benz; 04-27-2023 at 01:33 AM.
Old 04-27-2023, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 930 Likes on 556 Posts
N/A
Noticed the same thing on a loaner 2023 C300 a while ago. Thought the headlights were just dirty, but I guess not.
Old 04-27-2023, 07:20 PM

SL55
I inquired at the dealership. Was told it’s a known issue with digital light. Eqs customers have been complaining. Currently MBUSA has no fix. If others are having this issue, please report it to the dealers. Hopefully it will get their attention if enough cases are opened.
Old 04-27-2023, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 670 Likes on 528 Posts
c
It's probably the lens - I doubt we will get a fix. They will probably fix it for MY24 and leave us all stranded (I'm sure you could get the entire units replaced eventually and with enough complaining if they ever do fix it).
Old 04-27-2023, 07:28 PM

SL55
It’s not a hardware issue- the spots get filled when high beam is active.
Old 04-27-2023, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 670 Likes on 528 Posts
c
Originally Posted by jjj benz
It’s not a hardware issue- the spots get filled when high beam is active.
Well I hope you're right but that doesn't really give me confidence just because it's different when high beam is on
Old 04-29-2023, 01:51 AM

Received 159 Likes on 118 Posts
1986 Light Ivory R107 560SL, 2020 Lunar Blue W205 C300 AMG-line
My best guess is that’s there for US regulation of beam testing. There’s a brightness limit and I’m thinking that these are probably a little too bright to pass, but that there’s probably a loophole involving small darker patches on the left (where it’s most important because of oncoming traffic) where they test light output. I’ve seen cops do this with tint. Notice how some cop cars have illegally dark tint in states that don’t allow tint? Well they leave one tiny area lighter than the rest and so when they demonstrate it to you they only test that one little spot and voila it passes! I know that the W205 facelift with the basic “high performance LED headlights” and not the multibeam had dark patches throughout the entirety of their light output. The reason for that however was because they were reflectors (totally normal) and not projectors. Projectors shouldn’t do what you guys are dealing with, but these are “ digital” and have pixels that they can individually alter. I think it’s software related and something they can control, hence my regulation theory. The US headlight laws are archaic compared to Europe who allow brighter and more advanced lights, and as far as I can tell the only complaints are from the US. That’s my best guess if it were deliberate, they could also just be faulty.

Last edited by AzurSL; 04-29-2023 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-30-2023, 12:19 PM

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts
2023 C Class
On a side note, IIHS couple of days ago rated the W206 as Top Safety Pick+ (the highest award).
But the most interesting part is that while the standard LED headlights got "Good" score, the upgraded Digital LED got only "Acceptable".
https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/mer...p-safety-pick-
Old 04-30-2023, 05:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,935 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by 2010C-class
My best guess is that’s there for US regulation of beam testing. There’s a brightness limit and I’m thinking that these are probably a little too bright to pass, but that there’s probably a loophole involving small darker patches on the left (where it’s most important because of oncoming traffic) where they test light output. I’ve seen cops do this with tint. Notice how some cop cars have illegally dark tint in states that don’t allow tint? Well they leave one tiny area lighter than the rest and so when they demonstrate it to you they only test that one little spot and voila it passes! I know that the W205 facelift with the basic “high performance LED headlights” and not the multibeam had dark patches throughout the entirety of their light output. The reason for that however was because they were reflectors (totally normal) and not projectors. Projectors shouldn’t do what you guys are dealing with, but these are “ digital” and have pixels that they can individually alter. I think it’s software related and something they can control, hence my regulation theory. The US headlight laws are archaic compared to Europe who allow brighter and more advanced lights, and as far as I can tell the only complaints are from the US. That’s my best guess if it were deliberate, they could also just be faulty.
Interesting especially the tinting part, will never know.
Old 04-30-2023, 07:21 PM

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts
[deleted ]

Last edited by nosnoop; 04-30-2023 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-02-2023, 10:58 PM

SL55
Bump
Old 05-03-2023, 05:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Bump
Hmmm? What for? Curious.
Old 05-03-2023, 06:31 PM

SL55
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Hmmm? What for? Curious.
just curious if people have complained to dealers. I checked in the system for a TIPS case and nothing for digital light.
Old 05-03-2023, 06:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
just curious if people have complained to dealers. I checked in the system for a TIPS case and nothing for digital light.
I see, I wonder if people also reached out to MBUSA as well as apparently this is only an issue in NA?
Old 07-24-2023, 03:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
C Class (2022)
Interesting. I just picked up my 2023 with digital lights on Saturday and noticed this on my first night drive last night. Was pretty shocked and it appears no fix on the horizon.
Old 07-24-2023, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2022 c399
US headlight regs behind the world

I believe that the digital headlight operation to dim only a few LED to protect on coming cars or cars in front of you is prohibited in the US even though those benefits are on numerous MB videos.

Not a MB problem but a US regulation issue.
Old 08-12-2023, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2022 C 300
Originally Posted by Heavy924
Took vehicle in for service. Was told by the dealer that this is an “inherent condition of the vehicle.” Mercedes is aware of the concern and there are no plans to resolve this issue. WOW

Hope they are able to address the other issues.

Brakes very touchy at low speeds.

Creak behind drivers seat under load. Both on acceleration and braking conditions. UPDATE May 5th 2023: LI91.10-P-076097 Lower Seat Frame replacement

Center stack keeps resetting or not turning on at all. Six updates to the MBUX unit so far. UPDATE May 5th 2023: Software Update

Steering column make popping noise when returning to drivers position. UPDATE May 5th 2023: Software Update

Keyless entry works sporadically at best. In some cases the vehicle does not recognize the key fob.

Other than that it is a great car with only 2k miles on it.

I gotta say that this is not at all what I expected. I have owned Cadillac’s for the last 20 years and never once experienced this level of problems on a new vehicle. Especially that of a new Mercedes.
I have a 2022 C 300 with digital light package. I have the dark spots and all the same problems.

What update fixed the popping sound when the steering moves when you first get in?? Mine makes the sound now and it says I am current on all my software updates.

Also, when I first got the vehicle the lights would project and arrow on the road when changing lanes on adaptive cruise. Now it doesn't do that and it doesn't project the white arrow when singling and someone is in my blindspot. How do I get this feature back? Did a software reboot and still broken. Checked options and turned projection off and on ... In US.

​​​
Old 08-12-2023, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 559 Likes on 414 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by Mikeold
I believe that the digital headlight operation to dim only a few LED to protect on coming cars or cars in front of you is prohibited in the US even though those benefits are on numerous MB videos.

Not a MB problem but a US regulation issue.
US regs just changed earlier this year.
https://www.google.com/search?q=NHTS...mic+headlight+
Also,@rjautomotive might be able to program US headlights from previous model years without dynamic lights as long as you have the advanced LED headlights (the physical hardware option) on your vehicle. He did this on my v167.
Old 08-12-2023, 04:21 AM
SPONSOR

Received 88 Likes on 36 Posts
AMG C63 2019 AMG C43 2024 RS7 2016
We can fix this problem with our remote coding soltuion which programs the headlights to the european version of configurations

https://rjautomotive.net/products/di...ction-function

Old 08-12-2023, 09:17 AM

Received 349 Likes on 238 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
Originally Posted by Heloflyer68
I've noticed also that the projectors move that spot as the wheels are turned to follow the road.
Lights on my EQE 500 SUV have dark "lines" like spots above and mine also move when I turn the wheel. Then was watching an EQE review online and press car had same dark lines. So it has to be by design or they all have exactly the same defect.
Old 08-12-2023, 10:08 AM

2022 c399
No longer seeing lane change arrows on highway

Originally Posted by Jbcity
I have a 2022 C 300 with digital light package. I have the dark spots and all the same
Also, when I first got the vehicle the lights would project and arrow on the road when changing lanes on adaptive cruise. Now it doesn't do that and it doesn't project the white arrow when singling and someone is in my blindspot. How do I get this feature back? Did a software reboot and still broken. Checked options and turned projection off and on ... In US.

​​​
The answer, which i found by accident, is the left column lever. When you are driving with the lights on the auto setting, moving the left column switch in and out a white logo appears on the dash next to the headlight logo. I think moving the handle in and out activates the white logo and the on road signal ahead if the vehicle.
Old 09-01-2023, 03:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 C250
Originally Posted by Heavy924
Took vehicle in for service. Was told by the dealer that this is an “inherent condition of the vehicle.” Mercedes is aware of the concern and there are no plans to resolve this issue. WOW

Hope they are able to address the other issues.

Brakes very touchy at low speeds.

Creak behind drivers seat under load. Both on acceleration and braking conditions. UPDATE May 5th 2023: LI91.10-P-076097 Lower Seat Frame replacement

Center stack keeps resetting or not turning on at all. Six updates to the MBUX unit so far. UPDATE May 5th 2023: Software Update

Steering column make popping noise when returning to drivers position. UPDATE May 5th 2023: Software Update

Keyless entry works sporadically at best. In some cases the vehicle does not recognize the key fob.

Other than that it is a great car with only 2k miles on it.

I gotta say that this is not at all what I expected. I have owned Cadillac’s for the last 20 years and never once experienced this level of problems on a new vehicle. Especially that of a new Mercedes.
My built was Nov2022 with DLights for oz.
I dont have dark spots. My DL is quite even.
Quote above : I have had no end of intemittent software glitches similar to yours.
Error showing on dash for Driving / DRL light not functioning, Proximity sensors not working. Radar not working. Profile keeps gets lost therefore seat and mirror settings are lost and needed to re-adjust again.... Android Auto not starting...
My car door rubber making noises when on move. Noises coming from inside of seat belt cover.

With the lost Driver Profile - I find that if the car is driven for short distance or shor time and then stop and locked the car for maybe 5mins or less and reopen to resume journey - something like filling petrol / gas (US), mbux does not reboot properly and it just hangs on. So the seat may start to move to the set postion but stops halfway. Android Auto tries to restart but just hangs. The only way to get Android Auto working again is to delete device and go through the whole reconnection process. This is only for Android Auto. BT phone works just fine.

Car has been back to dealer a few times since I got it in Dec2022.

This is worst mb that I have. Next car WOULD NOT BE an mb anymore.
Old 04-30-2024, 09:53 PM

2024 Mercedes EQS 450 4MATIC
I just got my ‘24 EQS 450 4M SUV and my digital lights have the same weird spots. See photos. Looks like they did nothing about it for the ‘24 MY. It is very distracting.

Old 04-30-2024, 11:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 C250
Originally Posted by jesydney
My built was Nov2022 with DLights for oz.
I dont have dark spots. My DL is quite even.
Quote above : I have had no end of intemittent software glitches similar to yours.
Error showing on dash for Driving / DRL light not functioning, Proximity sensors not working. Radar not working. Profile keeps gets lost therefore seat and mirror settings are lost and needed to re-adjust again.... Android Auto not starting...
My car door rubber making noises when on move. Noises coming from inside of seat belt cover.

With the lost Driver Profile - I find that if the car is driven for short distance or shor time and then stop and locked the car for maybe 5mins or less and reopen to resume journey - something like filling petrol / gas (US), mbux does not reboot properly and it just hangs on. So the seat may start to move to the set postion but stops halfway. Android Auto tries to restart but just hangs. The only way to get Android Auto working again is to delete device and go through the whole reconnection process. This is only for Android Auto. BT phone works just fine.

Car has been back to dealer a few times since I got it in Dec2022.

This is worst mb that I have. Next car WOULD NOT BE an mb anymore.
Update:
I started paying a little more attention to the lights. This is only my suspicion, with all the glitches in the systems and the cruise/lane/proximity sensors and cameras.
I am also a hardware iT guy.
The software programming in the car is EXTREMELY immature coming from where its manufactured.
I have experienced some blank spots at different time and at different situations. These are the patterns I have seen:
1. similar to the halogen light days
2. curved bowl
3. small blackouts at different spots along the front edge
Most of the time it will try to maintain a straight front edge with the standard light pattern.

I would attribute the glitches to the cheap and slow old version of, or some new gpu and not enough ram for high speed processing of camera images and sensor data thats coming in. Together with immature inexperienced software programming, the results goes in a loop that it cannot get a good outcome, so the main control puts it in error mode - available to use but not ideal waiting for next input or command.

I also found out that if the system start is interupted in any way, glitches appears on that and a couple of subsequent drives. It will reset itself but its unpredictable when it will reset itself.
Engine management and gear changes are also affected, there some different notes from the engine and some unwanted roughness while driving, slowing down and stopping. Stop/Start also glitches with shudders/shivers while stopped. Something like the cpu is activating the starter motor BUT the other sensors are telling it that the car is not moving with brakes on so it stops the starter motor.