C-Class (W206) 2021 to

Lost Key Fob

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C Class W206 Estate
Lost Key Fob

Recently when I went to use my new C-Class I found I had the slim metal emergency key on my key ring but no electronic KeyFob. The latest generation of C-Class & S-Class cars have a new design of key & KeyFob, with a silver button that is easily knocked or depressed (see photo). When the button gets depressed the KeyFob separates from the emergency key. The problem is that it’s the emergency key that is attached to my key ring. And whilst the emergency key lets you gain access to the car, it does not allow you to drive the car.

So I went to my local Mercedes Dealer, who are charging me £232 for a replacement KeyFob, and another 100 pounds to program it. Needless to say, the replacement KeyFob is on back in Germany, so it’s going to be nearly a month before I get a replacement.

I feel that there is a design fault with the new KeyFob, in that the silver button on the back can all to easily get knocked, and then key and KeyFob become separated. I know previous generations of Mercedes KeyFobs have had, a button to release the emergency key, but the button is much smaller, and more recessed. Hence, I feel that I have lost my KeyFob because of poor design with the latest generation of KeyFob. Hence I feel the Mercedes Dealer should make a good will gesture, and refund part of the cost.

What are your thoughts? Have others had similar experiences?

Old 05-18-2023, 01:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2023 C300 4Matic, 2006 SLK280 6-speed stick
I haven't had any issues with my key fob; indeed I only just now experimented with the emergency key release while reading your post. It does seem to take a fairly determined push of the silver button to release the emergency key. That said, I don't put any other keys on my key ring and the key fob typically shares a pants pocket only with a Chap-Stick. There aren't any real opportunities there for the release button to be hit accidentally. Any chance that the rest of the fob is in the car, or in a pocket or purse, or elsewhere around home or your usual daily haunts? Just asking to see if you've searched for it in the places any of us would usually check. Good luck!
Old 05-18-2023, 02:23 PM

C Class W206 Estate
Originally Posted by Greg Buechler
I haven't had any issues with my key fob; indeed I only just now experimented with the emergency key release while reading your post. It does seem to take a fairly determined push of the silver button to release the emergency key. That said, I don't put any other keys on my key ring and the key fob typically shares a pants pocket only with a Chap-Stick. There aren't any real opportunities there for the release button to be hit accidentally. Any chance that the rest of the fob is in the car, or in a pocket or purse, or elsewhere around home or your usual daily haunts? Just asking to see if you've searched for it in the places any of us would usually check. Good luck!
I've searched everywhere of it, sadly with no joy. With the one remaining KeyFob I have glued an Apple AirTag to it, so at least it should be easier to find! Unfrotuantly makes it very bulky and ugly. On the remaining KeyFob the, I feel the botton can quite easily be depressed. It only needs to move about 1 mm to release the key. I tend to have a lot of other keys on my key ring. Hence why I see it as a design fault. Plus TBH not that pleased with the attitude of Mercedes. Not sure I'd buy another Merc.
Old 05-18-2023, 02:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2023 C300 4Matic, 2006 SLK280 6-speed stick
Mercedes-Benz does exhibit a considerable level of what is typically seen as German arrogance. They can't help themselves, it seems, even in places where Germans aren't directly running the show like in the USA. We live in the Pacific Northwest, where steady winter rains and mountain snow is typical. We ordered our C300 as RWD, because we know how to drive (we used to autocross regularly) and have found that such cars to just fine in snow with proper winter tires fitted. Our old C230 never missed a beat in up to ten inches of the stuff on the rare occasions when we experienced it. When our new car was delivered, we noticed that it was a 4Matic and asked why. The response was along these lines: MBUSA won't send RWD cars to your geographic area because you get real winter and customers want all wheel drive. So that's what they sent. Admittedly, we aren't their typical customer; we bought the car outright rather than lease it. I don't doubt for a moment that CPO and used buyers looking for a 2-3 year old car prefer AWD so the dealer would order for stock accordingly. But despite having a firm sold order for an RWD car, the top brass in their infinite wisdom refused to build it that way. Typically German...
Old 05-18-2023, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,827 Likes on 2,557 Posts
2019 C63CS
Honestly, neither the dealership nor MB is responsible for customers losing their belongings. Key fobs fundamentally shouldn't really be kept on a key ring with other keys, because that way you can easily accidently press one of the buttons and unlock your car, open the windows or trunk w/o noticing. Just recently somebody reported they came back to their parked car and found the windows and sunroof open. Likely cause was their other keys press down on the unlock button just long enough to open the windows while they were walking away. Not to mention that all these other keys scratch up the key fobs pretty badly over time. That hole in the physical key is primarily there to attach a tag when it's in for service or at most an AirTag.

FWIW, I don't even carry keys anymore. Except for the car key fob all my other keys are digital now and I leave the key fob at home unless I leave by car. Most days I don't drive, so it stays mostly at home. My phone is the key to my house and elsewhere and I have keypads on my house locks in case I don't have my phone on me. I often don't even carry my wallet anymore, because everything I need such as digital credit cards for contactless payment, transit cards etc. are on my phone, so I only have to keep track of one thing and if I lose my phone I can track it and/or remote wipe it to avoid unauthorized use, and w/o unlocking it nobody can actually use it. A lost physical key can be used by whoever finds it.

Anecdotally, my wife once locked herself out because she forgot her keys at work and I was abroad. She had to call a friend late at night to see if she could stay at her place, because she couldn't retrieve her keys until the next day. That was kind of the trigger moment to ditch physical keys for me. Just waiting for MB to adopt digital keys like BMW and others have already done.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-18-2023 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-18-2023, 05:09 PM

C Class W206 Estate
Originally Posted by superswiss
Honestly, neither the dealership nor MB is responsible for customers losing their belongings. Key fobs fundamentally shouldn't really be kept on a key ring with other keys, because that way you can easily accidently press one of the buttons and unlock your car, open the windows or trunk w/o noticing. Just recently somebody reported they came back to their parked car and found the windows and sunroof open. Likely cause was their other keys press down on the unlock button just long enough to open the windows while they were walking away. Not to mention that all these other keys scratch up the key fobs pretty badly over time. That hole in the physical key is primarily there to attach a tag when it's in for service or at most an AirTag.

FWIW, I don't even carry keys anymore. Except for the car key fob all my other keys are digital now and I leave the key fob at home unless I leave by car. Most days I don't drive, so it stays mostly at home. My phone is the key to my house and elsewhere and I have keypads on my house locks in case I don't have my phone on me. I often don't even carry my wallet anymore, because everything I need such as digital credit cards for contactless payment, transit cards etc. are on my phone, so I only have to keep track of one thing and if I lose my phone I can track it and/or remote wipe it to avoid unauthorized use, and w/o unlocking it nobody can actually use it. A lost physical key can be used by whoever finds it.

Anecdotally, my wife once locked herself out because she forgot her keys at work and I was abroad. She had to call a friend late at night to see if she could stay at her place, because she couldn't retrieve her keys until the next day. That was kind of the trigger moment to ditch physical keys for me. Just waiting for MB to adopt digital keys like BMW and others have already done.

Whilst I can see the argument that it's not MB/Dealer fault if a customer looses their KeyFob, I think in this case it is made much more likely by the latest KeyFob design. Over the last 30 years I've had many other cars (including MB) with KeyFobs and never had such a problem. The whole point of keeping my keys together is I'm less likely to loose them. Of course if they easily get separated then this does not hold true. Personally I'm not that bothered if the KeyFob suffers from some cosmetic ware & tare as long as it keeps working. Given how complicated the electronics are in the latest generation C-Class I can't see myself keeping it outside the 3 year warranty period. So I suspect scratches will be kept to a minimum in that time. Note Most days I do drive so I need to keep car keys with my other keys. Not sure about attaching an AirTag to the emergency key, given how easily it can separate from the KeyFob. At the moment as I only have one Key Fob, it has the AirTag stuck to the fob rather than the emergency key. I do like the idea of a digital key. Perhaps next time I'll get a BMW!
Old 05-18-2023, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,827 Likes on 2,557 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by C-Class_Driver
Not sure about attaching an AirTag to the emergency key, given how easily it can separate from the KeyFob. At the moment as I only have one Key Fob, it has the AirTag stuck to the fob rather than the emergency key. I do like the idea of a digital key. Perhaps next time I'll get a BMW!
Yeah, so the thing with that is if you have a key ring, then the fob is the part hanging on it and generally you hold on to the key ring. If you carry the key fob by itself and have an AirTag hanging from it, you'll likely hold on the fob when grabbing it. If you think about it, the fob is the valuable part, so that's where you should always grab and hold it. If the emergency key falls out that's less of a deal than if the fob falls off.

Perhaps something to consider is a key fob shell if you must carry it on a key ring such as this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384623352603

Last edited by superswiss; 05-18-2023 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-24-2023, 06:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,472 Likes on 2,105 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Recently when I went to use my new C-Class I found I had the slim metal emergency key on my key ring but no electronic KeyFob. The latest generation of C-Class & S-Class cars have a new design of key & KeyFob, with a silver button that is easily knocked or depressed (see photo). When the button gets depressed the KeyFob separates from the emergency key. The problem is that it’s the emergency key that is attached to my key ring. And whilst the emergency key lets you gain access to the car, it does not allow you to drive the car.

So I went to my local Mercedes Dealer, who are charging me £232 for a replacement KeyFob, and another 100 pounds to program it. Needless to say, the replacement KeyFob is on back in Germany, so it’s going to be nearly a month before I get a replacement.

I feel that there is a design fault with the new KeyFob, in that the silver button on the back can all to easily get knocked, and then key and KeyFob become separated. I know previous generations of Mercedes KeyFobs have had, a button to release the emergency key, but the button is much smaller, and more recessed. Hence, I feel that I have lost my KeyFob because of poor design with the latest generation of KeyFob. Hence I feel the Mercedes Dealer should make a good will gesture, and refund part of the cost.

What are your thoughts? Have others had similar experiences?

OP, does your keyfob have the red panic button as well or it is exactly as pictured in the illustration you found online?
Old 05-25-2023, 06:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yeah, so the thing with that is if you have a key ring, then the fob is the part hanging on it and generally you hold on to the key ring. If you carry the key fob by itself and have an AirTag hanging from it, you'll likely hold on the fob when grabbing it. If you think about it, the fob is the valuable part, so that's where you should always grab and hold it. If the emergency key falls out that's less of a deal than if the fob falls off.

Perhaps something to consider is a key fob shell if you must carry it on a key ring such as this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384623352603
Anyways, good advice and your post reminded me of this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/eqs-suv/8...er-sleeve.html
Old 05-29-2023, 12:42 PM

C Class W206 Estate
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Anyways, good advice and your post reminded me of this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/eqs-suv/8...er-sleeve.html
The key fob does not have a red panic button - it just looks like the one in the photo. There is a panic button inside the car - just st above the rear view mirror. I believe this is required by EU law.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

The key fob does not have a red panic button - it just looks like the one in the photo. There is a panic button inside the car - just st above the rear view mirror. I believe this is required by EU law.
I see, I wonder if it is an option then (the panic button on the fob itself I mean) even for EU markets?
Old 05-08-2024, 01:39 PM

GLC 300

What are your thoughts? Have others had similar experience
. I have a GLC 300 2023 lost the fob but luckily it fell in the footwell, my husband lost his and it was in his jacket. Told mercedes the key is totally useless the only way to stop it falling apart is our thick tape over the button.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
W206 C300e AMG Line Premium Plus with driver assistance package
I bought this silicone cover for mine which would also stop the emergency key from being separated.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EHtVzVd
Old 05-13-2024, 04:53 PM

C300
Angry Key Fob 2023 C300 Design FLAW! Fob detaches from key

I've searched everywhere of it, sadly with no joy. With the one remaining KeyFob I have glued an Apple AirTag to it, so at least it should be easier to find! Unfrotuantly makes it very bulky and ugly. On the remaining KeyFob the, I feel the botton can quite easily be depressed. It only needs to move about 1 mm to release the key. I tend to have a lot of other keys on my key ring. Hence why I see it as a design fault. Plus TBH not that pleased with the attitude of Mercedes. Not sure I'd buy another Merc.

Just bought a 2023 C300. I put the key on my keyring. Never had this type of key fob from Mercedes. Within 24 hours it obviously became detached from the skeleton key and was lost unbeknownst to me. I was unaware that the silver button so VERY easily detached from the fob, just by rubbing up against other keys on the key ring. Called the dealer. They are charging me $1000 to get another key and have it reprogrammed. I feel completely ripped off! There was no warning that the key dislodges so easily. Don't think I'll buy another Mercedes. The sales experience was great and left with a very good feeling. Not so much, now...