C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

Start-Stop Sillyness

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sequoia
Start-Stop Sillyness

I plan to order an E63 this fall, and have one question that may be best answered by someone who already has the M157 in a CLS63. The question - Can I turn off the "start stop" feature? I want this feature like I want a hole in the head. The US version of the Porsche Panamera (which has this nasty little feature) allows the owner to turn it off. Obviously, they realize that Red-Neck Americans (in this case, a red-Neck Texan) want no part of it... Lay it on me. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:50 PM

2012 CLS63
Yes, you can turn it off, but you have to do so everytime you start the car. It is about the only thing I dislike about the 2012 CLS 63. The second and really only other thing I dislike is that you have to push a seperate button to put the car in park (you can not do it with the gear shifter that only functions for reverse, neutral and drive). This seems like poor engineering to me for both items.

I think both issues together are an accident waiting to happen. The problem is that if you don't disable the start stop, you put your foot on the brake and the engine stops. You then push the shifter towards the park button (which really puts it in reverse) and think you are parked. Take your foot off the brake (because you think it is safe) and the engine will suddenly start and move the car in reverse to your surprise! If you have practice driving the car you are aware of the problem, but how do you expect a valet to know this? You have to tell them that when the car is started to push the disable button for the start stop (or the AMG button which will do this too) and be sure to hit the park button when you want to stop the car. I don't think most strangers to the car will remember.

Maybe there is a way around this, but I have not found it. Until then, I really wish that the start stop "eco" button could be permanently disabled.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:47 PM

2012 CLS 63 AMG,Alpina B7, Audi R8,Rossion Q1,Porsche 4S cab,1967 Sunbeam Tiger MK2
Originally Posted by AMGLAB
Yes, you can turn it off, but you have to do so everytime you start the car. It is about the only thing I dislike about the 2012 CLS 63. The second and really only other thing I dislike is that you have to push a seperate button to put the car in park (you can not do it with the gear shifter that only functions for reverse, neutral and drive). This seems like poor engineering to me for both items.

I think both issues together are an accident waiting to happen. The problem is that if you don't disable the start stop, you put your foot on the brake and the engine stops. You then push the shifter towards the park button (which really puts it in reverse) and think you are parked. Take your foot off the brake (because you think it is safe) and the engine will suddenly start and move the car in reverse to your surprise! If you have practice driving the car you are aware of the problem, but how do you expect a valet to know this? You have to tell them that when the car is started to push the disable button for the start stop (or the AMG button which will do this too) and be sure to hit the
park button when you want to stop the car. I don't think most strangers to the car will remember.

Maybe there is a way around this, but I have not found it. Until then, I really wish that the start stop "eco" button could be permanently disabled.
---
I personally do not find turning it off when starting an issue but driving in S is an option I use from time to time regardless.
I actually like the P button..not sure why but maybe because on my B7 I would push an electronic control at the end of the shift stalk and I have to do the same in my wives ML 320... Conclusion being I am used to a separate P control...
Old 06-19-2011, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
i think you can disable it via STAR as someone said. i don't recall who was he.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:30 PM

a car that gets very poor gas mileage.
Originally Posted by GarbageMan
I plan to order an E63 this fall, and have one question that may be best answered by someone who already has the M157 in a CLS63. The question - Can I turn off the "start stop" feature? I want this feature like I want a hole in the head. The US version of the Porsche Panamera (which has this nasty little feature) allows the owner to turn it off. Obviously, they realize that Red-Neck Americans (in this case, a red-Neck Texan) want no part of it... Lay it on me. Thanks.
So the 2012 E63 AMG will have this feature as well? Oh joy.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:10 PM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
I test drove the new C coupe with this feature in Europe and was impressed with the speed the car turned back on. It was pretty much just push the accelerator and go. To save fuel around town, why not? I only didn't test whether the A/C would work for long with the engine off.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:20 PM

Sequoia
Originally Posted by GMW
I test drove the new C coupe with this feature in Europe and was impressed with the speed the car turned back on. It was pretty much just push the accelerator and go. To save fuel around town, why not? I only didn't test whether the A/C would work for long with the engine off.
1. It reminds me of a gas powered golf cart.
2. I presume (maybe incorrectly) that the engine really is off, so at long lights, which we have a lot of here in Texas, that A/C compressor is off? Also, the car is basically "re-starting"? I want oil pumped through my engine at all times. No dry, or "semi-dry" starts that don't need to happen...
3. If I was consumed with saving fuel/oil, I would not be looking at an E63. Further, we Texans aren't as consumed with that stuff as is the rest of the world. Most of us drive Suburbans and trucks as primary vehicles. We like our guns and our gas around here...
Old 06-23-2011, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
Originally Posted by GarbageMan
1. It reminds me of a gas powered golf cart.
2. I presume (maybe incorrectly) that the engine really is off, so at long lights, which we have a lot of here in Texas, that A/C compressor is off? Also, the car is basically "re-starting"? I want oil pumped through my engine at all times. No dry, or "semi-dry" starts that don't need to happen...
3. If I was consumed with saving fuel/oil, I would not be looking at an E63. Further, we Texans aren't as consumed with that stuff as is the rest of the world. Most of us drive Suburbans and trucks as primary vehicles. We like our guns and our gas around here...
You may change your mind once you've driven it with the feature on. It's seamless and in stop and go, it really does save significant amounts of gas without you even trying.

MBZ engineers are very smart; they have the system set up so that it only engages when the engine vitals support it (proper oil temps, lubrication, etc) and when the battery power supports it. The AC does NOT turn off, you do not notice anything when it cuts power at rest other than lack of engine noise.

Also the new engine has sensors that monitor exact piston/valve placement and when you press on the accelerator, it fires back up immediately with no cranking. It's not as much a standard restart as it is an instant fire-up. The engine oils/etc are all monitored and this feature will not damage your engine--too many engineering protections.

I'm with you, I love my gas and guns and initially this system sounded stupid...but at the same time I'm not into burning my cash for no good reason. You may like/not notice the system once you try it.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:15 PM

1999 Coupé Fiat 1.8 16v
You are gonna make people scared to dead by the starting growl every time! Just think of that, and maybe it's not as hard as it seems!