C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

Sourced Two 2012 CLS63 AMG's Thoughts...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a car that gets very poor gas mileage.
Congrats vic!
Great choice, but I'm slightly biased.
Although, the 793RS might look interesting (and are right out of the gate new, so you could very well be the first MBZ with them), my vote goes to the P43's in Satin Black.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
I actually heard a CLS63 today and I must admit its pretty loud when you get on the throttle.
Sounds as loud as the M156 engines.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Vic....

Silver...

I'm sure you'll do up the CLS in your typical fashion. Look forward to it!
Old 10-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by Centurion
Congrats vic!
Great choice, but I'm slightly biased.
Although, the 793RS might look interesting (and are right out of the gate new, so you could very well be the first MBZ with them), my vote goes to the P43's in Satin Black.
and you are correct!!!! Im doing the P43's in satin- confirming today with HRE!!!!

Originally Posted by _AMG_
I actually heard a CLS63 today and I must admit its pretty loud when you get on the throttle.
Sounds as loud as the M156 engines.
Owning both cars- I actually feel, on throttle, that my CLS is louder by about 10%. Serious.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
12 CLS63
Originally Posted by Vic55
and you are correct!!!! Im doing the P43's in satin- confirming today with HRE!!!!

Owning both cars- I actually feel, on throttle, that my CLS is louder by about 10%. Serious.
Sweet! What size wheels and tires?
Old 10-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by ajag
Sweet! What size wheels and tires?
Still confirming fitment with the HRE engineer but probably:

20x9 with 255x30 tires
20x11 with 305x25 tires

Offsets coming...

Last edited by Vic55; 10-11-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:13 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Very nice.

Seeing as to how you now have the E and CLS, being basically two rebodied versions of each other, more or less (performance and drivetrain aside, of course), how do you like each of them VS the other? Any notable differences in the construction or quality of the cars or interiors, and comfort, etc.? How about the interior ambiance (with the CLS's smaller greenhouse VS the E's airier one). And finally, you're E is so sharp, I'm curious as to how you feel both cars compare with one another on a visual level, as someone who can see and feel the cars side by side on a regular basis.

Reason I ask is because I keep considering the CLS if or when I'd move on from the E, but I have a few reservations about the styling still, and the incredibly limited headroom in the front, for a 6'4 person like me, unfortunately almost makes it a deal breaker.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:37 AM

a car that gets very poor gas mileage.
K-A,
I highly recommend you sit inside one.
There's only so much you can gather from reading about it here.

I don't believe you'll have issues once inside, however, it does have a lower roofline so getting in and out will be more of a concern.

The interior appointments exude class through and through.
The design and materials used rival an Aston Martin Vantage and (dare I say) look better than even a Bentley Continental.

You'll fall in love once inside:

One other thing I almost forgot to mention.....
If you happen to test drive one, take it inside somewhere dark (i.e Mall parking garage, etc.)
The interior ambient lighting just might seal the deal.

Last edited by Centurion; 10-25-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:53 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Yeah I have actually sat in several. Unfortunately, I guess due to a tall torso especially, my head was pressed up against the roof, even at the seats lowest setting. Pretty remarkable that M-B can't design a car with a sloping roofline, with 4-Doors, and that weighs over 4,000 lbs that can provide more than a meager (comparable to Ferrari 360 Modena) 36.9" headroom. Plenty of cars with lower or as low of rooflines have much more headroom (new 6-Series *Coupe* is one). But, whaddaya gonna do.

It's an extremely nice cabin indeed. Clearly related to and based upon the E-Class, but with more attention to detail in the refinement and "soft touch" aspects (kind of like taking an interior I already love to the next level in terms of luxury appointments). However, is the ambient lighting much different from the W212's? I thought it was basically the exact same thing?
Old 10-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by K-A
Very nice.

Seeing as to how you now have the E and CLS, being basically two rebodied versions of each other, more or less (performance and drivetrain aside, of course), how do you like each of them VS the other? Any notable differences in the construction or quality of the cars or interiors, and comfort, etc.? How about the interior ambiance (with the CLS's smaller greenhouse VS the E's airier one). And finally, you're E is so sharp, I'm curious as to how you feel both cars compare with one another on a visual level, as someone who can see and feel the cars side by side on a regular basis.

Reason I ask is because I keep considering the CLS if or when I'd move on from the E, but I have a few reservations about the styling still, and the incredibly limited headroom in the front, for a 6'4 person like me, unfortunately almost makes it a deal breaker.
Here is my short on it. Construction is relatively the same to me- the fit and finish of the paint is equal although I have black on the CLS and it does seem to be quite shiny but that could be due to the "newness" of the car. As for the interior; there is quite a difference. The CLS interior amenities are nicer with the alcantara headliner and better feeling and looking dash. Of course the Nav is better but its a 2012 vs a 2010. The leather is better in the CLS too but I think my 2010 was the cost cutting year no doubt and no wonder I got the car for so cheap My 2010 just feels cheaper inside with the concrete feeling dash and very straight forward approach. Its hard to put into words but the E seems basic and the CLS seems to cater to me- the driver. I like the feel of the CLS better- the cockpit tends to surround me more and the E seems maybe too big. But Im not 6'4" so that could be the difference too. I liken it to how I feel in my 997TT versus the GTR but not so extreme; in the 997TT I feel more part of the car and in the GTR I feel like Im in a shell.

As for styling, the CLS takes the cake in my opinion. From a stock to stock comparison the CLS's lines are amazing to me with the slanted roof line and LED headlights. The CLS in stock format turns heads but for the E it took wheels and lowering to make it look better. I can remember when I posted pics of my E after the mods and several members made statements to this effect: "I dont like the W212 but I love your E". Styling is so subjective so that will be something for you to really invest into. As for the 6'4" part thats either going to work or its not. If it does meet your height requirements I like the CLS over the E. Its the better made car IMHO especially considering the interior.

Originally Posted by K-A
However, is the ambient lighting much different from the W212's? I thought it was basically the exact same thing?
On the E, I only have the ability to pick the level of brightness whereas with the CLS I can choose the color of the ambient lighting: Polar Blue, Neutral, or Amber.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:39 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Thanks for the writeup.

Yeah I can see many of your points. The CLS definitely ups the ante on the sense-of-occasion level, while the E teeters the line toward practicality and understatement as well.

I just wish there was enough frontal headroom in the CLS to support my height, so I can really take one seriously when looking through it, in terms of "Will I give my money to you". Grr.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:22 AM

2006 cls55, Lexus GS350, GMC Yukon
I've seen 4 locally in white, none in black. The car is awesome in ANY color, but I think in 2 years you are going to find the black has the better resale potential.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
A car
Here is my short on it. Construction is relatively the same to me- the fit and finish of the paint is equal although I have black on the CLS and it does seem to be quite shiny but that could be due to the "newness" of the car. As for the interior; there is quite a difference. The CLS interior amenities are nicer with the alcantara headliner and better feeling and looking dash. Of course the Nav is better but its a 2012 vs a 2010. The leather is better in the CLS too but I think my 2010 was the cost cutting year no doubt and no wonder I got the car for so cheap My 2010 just feels cheaper inside with the concrete feeling dash and very straight forward approach. Its hard to put into words but the E seems basic and the CLS seems to cater to me- the driver. I like the feel of the CLS better- the cockpit tends to surround me more and the E seems maybe too big. But Im not 6'4" so that could be the difference too. I liken it to how I feel in my 997TT versus the GTR but not so extreme; in the 997TT I feel more part of the car and in the GTR I feel like Im in a shell.

As for styling, the CLS takes the cake in my opinion. From a stock to stock comparison the CLS's lines are amazing to me with the slanted roof line and LED headlights. The CLS in stock format turns heads but for the E it took wheels and lowering to make it look better. I can remember when I posted pics of my E after the mods and several members made statements to this effect: "I dont like the W212 but I love your E". Styling is so subjective so that will be something for you to really invest into. As for the 6'4" part thats either going to work or its not. If it does meet your height requirements I like the CLS over the E. Its the better made car IMHO especially considering the interior.

On the E, I only have the ability to pick the level of brightness whereas with the CLS I can choose the color of the ambient lighting: Polar Blue, Neutral, or Amber.
Leave it to Vic to put together a well expressed feedback
Old 10-28-2011, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Daum, cant wait to see what you do. Im a little late to the party, but black looks so sick when its clean. I like you take great care and mine is never dirty!
Old 10-29-2011, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030

Wonderful information Mr. Vic.

You need to start the "VIC REPORT"

Old 10-29-2011, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
Also, late to the party - CAN'T believe I missed this and the PDK. . .

Vic - I've been waiting. . .about to pop my cherry on this one. . .you sir. . .EBOLA VIRUS SICK!!!!!!!!!!

Can not wait to see it done up!!!!!!!!! CONGRADS!!!!!!!!!