C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

2012 with carbon ceramic brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 10:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS 63 AMG
2012 with carbon ceramic brakes

Hi everyone, I just joined the forum and finalized my deal on a new CLS 63 today.

The search for one has been a tough one as apparently there aren't that many out there right now. My dealer finally located one that fit my needs, but it has the carbon ceramic brakes. I really wasn't looking for this option nor did I want the $12,600 extra cost

My question is this a rare option? I haven't seen any other 63's currently available with this option. When the time comes will my resale value be much more than a 63 with regular brakes? I'm just hoping I'm not spending 12k extra for something I will regret

other than that I think the yellow calipers will look great on my black car
Old 12-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by Ready2roll
Hi everyone, I just joined the forum and finalized my deal on a new CLS 63 today.

The search for one has been a tough one as apparently there aren't that many out there right now. My dealer finally located one that fit my needs, but it has the carbon ceramic brakes. I really wasn't looking for this option nor did I want the $12,600 extra cost

My question is this a rare option? I haven't seen any other 63's currently available with this option. When the time comes will my resale value be much more than a 63 with regular brakes? I'm just hoping I'm not spending 12k extra for something I will regret

other than that I think the yellow calipers will look great on my black car
If you are not tracking your car religiously its an overpriced option IMHO. Furthermore, when you have to do maintenance it will cost you way more to replace. Its just not necessary on a GT cruiser like the CLS. And for resale Id have to say its not going to help that much. For 12k I can think of so much more Id do on the car than Ceramics.

FYI- the calipers are gold (not a bright gold either) not yellow. I say this because there is a clear distinction between the two having seen yellows on Porsche TT's.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:27 PM

2012 CLS 63 AMG
Originally Posted by Vic55

FYI- the calipers are gold (not a bright gold either) not yellow. I say this because there is a clear distinction between the two having seen yellows on Porsche TT's.
aaah yes, I just did a search and see that now. The gold is even better. I love it!

Old 12-20-2011, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Corvette Z06/2011 BMW M3
If it were me, I'd order the car and get it exactly how I want it. Dont settle.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
I echo the "order it as you like it" opinion, and I would also try to experience a car that doesn't have the CCs before you decide. The "standard" brakes are already excessive - I beat up on them at Laguna Seca for a weekend, and they exceeded my requests pretty handily. Also, if you're in the US, I'd triple check that the car would even have the CCs - they are not, per MBUSA, offered as an option in the US. They might even show as an available option when you go through the program, but when the dealer either submits the order or receives confirmation that the build has started, they will be deleted.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
12 CLS63
If you are not tracking your car religiously its an overpriced option IMHO. Furthermore, when you have to do maintenance it will cost you way more to replace. Its just not necessary on a GT cruiser like the CLS. And for resale Id have to say its not going to help that much. For 12k I can think of so much more Id do on the car than Ceramics.

+1 and most guys that track cars w/ OEM CC swap them out 'cause the replacement cost is so high.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:33 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63
seriously, at that cost, it should be what you want, and not what they want.....
it is expensive, and not really worth it unless going to a track as mentioned.....
and when it's time to replace them......whoh mamma!
they do look good though, and when other enthusists see you they'd be impressed.....
but no one really knows what that means anyway right? hehe.....

good luck ad enjoy!
Old 12-20-2011, 03:08 PM

C63
I drove both cars (cls63) with and without carbon brakes. You can trust me that the difference is really huge. On car with carbon brakes you just touch brake pedal and car immediately stops. On standard brakes you have to push the brake pedal much stronger to stop it. It is hard to describe but brake feeling is much much better. I know, 12000 USD is not the bargain, but if someone doesn't take care about money it is "must be" option.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:51 PM

2012 CLS 63 AMG
Originally Posted by justthebest
Also, if you're in the US, I'd triple check that the car would even have the CCs - they are not, per MBUSA, offered as an option in the US. They might even show as an available option when you go through the program, but when the dealer either submits the order or receives confirmation that the build has started, they will be deleted.
Interesting!
Yes, I'm absolutely sure my car has the ceramic brakes. Attached is the sheet on it showing all the options

You confirm what I thought though... this is a VERY rare option for a car here in the US. Maybe they just started offering this option and this is the first one here in the US? I know when my dealer was searching for available units this was the only car with the CC brake option available at any dealer.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:56 PM

2012 CLS 63 AMG
Guy's, I really appreciate all the comments. You may want to do some more research on the carbon ceramic brakes. There are quite a few comments about replacement costs. Fact of the matter is the carbon rotors should last the life of the car.... they will certainly last far longer than I anticipate keeping the car.

If you track your car how often will you have to change your non CC rotors? I can tell you that I've got a C6 ZO6 making just over 1000 RWHP and I'm on my third set of rotors. I wish I had the CC brakes that were on the ZR1, I would never wear them out.

Originally Posted by ajag
+1 and most guys that track cars w/ OEM CC swap them out 'cause the replacement cost is so high.
Really? Think, about what you just said for a minute. No offense, but do you really think someone is going to pay $12,600 for a CC brake option to remove them and install lesser brakes just because of replacement cost?
Not to mention buying a set of the regular brakes will probably set them back anther 8-10K.
Sorry I just don't buy this. If someone pays that kind of money for the CC brakes they are NOT taking them off
Old 12-20-2011, 03:57 PM

2012 CLS 63 AMG
Originally Posted by Misiek4
I drove both cars (cls63) with and without carbon brakes. You can trust me that the difference is really huge. On car with carbon brakes you just touch brake pedal and car immediately stops. On standard brakes you have to push the brake pedal much stronger to stop it. It is hard to describe but brake feeling is much much better. I know, 12000 USD is not the bargain, but if someone doesn't take care about money it is "must be" option.
Thanks very much for your input. I like real world info

I'll be picking up my car late Thursday afternoon or Friday morning. I can't wait! Renntech tune is soon to follow
Old 12-20-2011, 03:58 PM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Interesting!
Yes, I'm absolutely sure my car has the ceramic brakes. Attached is the sheet on it showing all the options

You confirm what I thought though... this is a VERY rare option for a car here in the US. Maybe they just started offering this option and this is the first one here in the US? I know when my dealer was searching for available units this was the only car with the CC brake option available at any dealer.

Its available in the US and on the website to build- when I got my car in October there was a white one in the showroom with the gold package LOL...

I have seen several cars in Cali via Autotrader.com that had them- most of these cars will sticker for over 130k. The white one I saw was a 117k sticker, it didnt have the PP.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:01 PM

2012 CLS 63 AMG
Its available in the US and on the website to build- when I got my car in October there was a white one in the showroom with the gold package LOL...

I have seen several cars in Cali via Autotrader.com that had them- most of these cars will sticker for over 130k. The white one I saw was a 117k sticker, it didnt have the PP.
Thanks for clearing that up Vic. Glad to know there are others out there and my car won't be the guinea pig
Old 12-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Really? Think, about what you just said for a minute. No offense, but do you really think someone is going to pay $12,600 for a CC brake option to remove them and install lesser brakes just because of replacement cost?
Not to mention buying a set of the regular brakes will probably set them back anther 8-10K.
Sorry I just don't buy this. If someone pays that kind of money for the CC brakes they are NOT taking them off
Its true in quite some instances... do some searches over at 6 speed online in the Porsche community. My personal Porsche tuner Stuttgart in Costa Mesa has built some of the best GT3 Track cars and they always comment on the members/customers replacing the PCCB's with aftermarket upgrades. You dont have to buy it- you asked for the opinions and thats what you got. Enjoy your car!! I like the build... I got a black on black too.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:04 PM

2012 CLS 63 AMG
Its true in quite some instances... do some searches over at 6 speed online in the Porsche community. My personal Porsche tuner Stuttgart in Costa Mesa has built some of the best GT3 Track cars and they always comment on the members/customers replacing the PCCB's with aftermarket upgrades. You dont have to buy it- you asked for the opinions and thats what you got. Enjoy your car!! I like the build... I got a black on black too.
There just may be some truth to that. I come from the Corvette world where my car is a pretty heavy hitter and I know that none of the ZR1 guys are switching over to non CC brakes. That would just be sacrilegious with that crowd
Old 12-20-2011, 04:15 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63
the everyday use is still an isse for me........going really fast.....stopping really hard and fast, BUT you guys have made some great points I won't forget...
thanx for helping me understand more, (seriously)
Old 12-20-2011, 04:32 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
AMG
Congrats on the new purchase! Enjoy in good health
Old 12-20-2011, 04:34 PM

2012 CLS 63 AMG
Originally Posted by VelosDesignwerks
Congrats on the new purchase! Enjoy in good health
Thank you sir!
Old 12-20-2011, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
12 CLS63
There just may be some truth to that. I come from the Corvette world where my car is a pretty heavy hitter and I know that none of the ZR1 guys are switching over to non CC brakes. That would just be sacrilegious with that crowd
I'm speaking from most of my (limited) experience being in the Porsche racing community. The cost of steel rotors is less than 1/2 of CC, so most of my GTx buddies would try to get a car w/o CC, or swap out to steel after they got the car, and swap back to CC before selling. The cost differential may be less in Vettes. Regardless, congrats on the car, I loved the CC on my GT2.

Last edited by ajag; 12-20-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:57 PM

2012 CLS 63 AMG
Originally Posted by ajag
I'm speaking from most of my (limited) experience being in the Porsche racing community. The cost of steel rotors is less than 1/2 of CC, so most of my GTx buddies would try to get a car w/o CC, or swap out to steel after they got the car, and swap back to CC before selling. The cost differential may be less in Vettes. Regardless, congrats on the car, I loved the CC on my GT2.
That makes perfect sense!
Old 12-20-2011, 08:57 PM

C2S CAB & C6Z06 & CLS63

My dealer finally located one that fit my needs, but it has the carbon ceramic brakes. I really wasn't looking for this option nor did I want the $12,600 extra cost

My question is this a rare option?

When the time comes will my resale value be much more than a 63 with regular brakes? I'm just hoping I'm not spending 12k extra for something I will regret

This option is not rare, there are several cars with the these brakes in California.

Resale value won't help much at all. You got the mod blood in you, it won't matter anyways.

In reagards to regrets, based on your other post you seem quite excited and would like to justify the expense. If it makes you happy go for it.

Make sure the dealer does not BS you. Pricing near invoice (or a bit more) should not be too hard to achieve.

How do you go through 3 sets of rotors? On the streets?

Anyways, congrats
Old 12-20-2011, 09:06 PM

2012 CLS 63 AMG
Originally Posted by 805Benz
This option is not rare, there are several cars with the these brakes in California.

Resale value won't help much at all. You got the mod blood in you, it won't matter anyways.

In reagards to regrets, based on your other post you seem quite excited and would like to justify the expense. If it makes you happy go for it.

Make sure the dealer does not BS you. Pricing near invoice (or a bit more) should not be too hard to achieve.

How do you go through 3 sets of rotors? On the streets?

Anyways, congrats
Thanks my friend! You are right I'm very happy with the fact that I have the CC brakes on my new ride. It just took me a while to swallow the cost of them

Regarding my ZO6... I bought it new back in 2007 and have put quite a lot of hard miles on it. The stock rotors are crap and I had hair line cracks in the front rotors on two different occasions (hi speed stops)
I now have a better after market 2 piece rotor on the car, but I sure would like to have the CC ZR1 brakes one day.

And about that "mod bug" I have it worse than any other I assure you

I got a nice discount on the car also
Old 12-20-2011, 09:17 PM

C2S CAB & C6Z06 & CLS63
Thanks my friend! You are right I'm very happy with the fact that I have the CC brakes on my new ride. It just took me a while to swallow the cost of them

Regarding my ZO6... I bought it new back in 2007 and have put quite a lot of hard miles on it. The stock rotors are crap and I had hair line cracks in the front rotors on two different occasions (hi speed stops)
I now have a better after market 2 piece rotor on the car, but I sure would like to have the CC ZR1 brakes one day.

And about that "mod bug" I have it worse than any other I assure you

I got a nice discount on the car also

I know what you mean about the stock rotors. I got the Brembo's on my 2007 Z06, they are amazing. In regards to the mod bug, I dont think you have it that much worse... I've been down that path with no turning back
Old 12-20-2011, 09:36 PM

2012 CLS 63 AMG
Originally Posted by 805Benz
I dont think you have it that much worse... I've been down that path with no turning back
It's a sickness
Old 12-30-2011, 10:58 PM

2012 CLS 63 AMG
Just a follow up to this thread.... I've got 1000 miles on my car now and one thing that I noticed is ZERO brake dust on the wheels with the CC brakes. This is one feature I'm in love with as I'm constantly cleaning the wheels on my ZO6. The brake dust on that car is ridiculous.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 with carbon ceramic brakes