C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

Steering noise from 2014 CLS63 S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 08:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 CLS 63 S AMG / 2004 E55 AMG
Steering noise from 2014 CLS63 S

When stopped or at very low speeds my car makes a strange noise when turning the steering wheel. It's impossible to describe, but it's similar to a high speed rotary tool (like a dremel), but MUCH quieter. With the radio or hbac blowing it's hard to hear. It may come and go throughout a drive, but on every drive I can hear it at some point.

The dealer also hears the sound and has replaced the front struts, strut bearings, bump stops and steering column collar (over 2 visits that spanned a week each). The noise hasn't changed...

Does anyone have this issue, or has anyone solved it?
Old 01-10-2016, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 CLS 63 S
I am not sure it is the same sound/issue as mine, but when i turn the wheel at low speed, I sometimes get a clunk in the suspension. I also hear it nearly everytime I back out of the drive way. Seems to originate from the driver side.

Did/Do you have anything like that happening?
Old 01-10-2016, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by LA_ML350
I am not sure it is the same sound/issue as mine, but when i turn the wheel at low speed, I sometimes get a clunk in the suspension. I also hear it nearly everytime I back out of the drive way. Seems to originate from the driver side.

Did/Do you have anything like that happening?
Nope, no clunk (that sounds like a ball joint or something similar). It's such a strange sound to describe, almost like dry rubber grinding on dry rubber...
Old 01-11-2016, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
I just assumed that was the weird electro-hydraulic power steering making that noise.....Most if not all the E63s I test drove had that sound. Its usually at idle or very very little movement and you turn the wheel
Old 01-11-2016, 05:13 PM

E63 estate
@moehler saw your cross post and figured I'd chime in. I recently developed a grinding/ moaning sound heard at 5mph or less while turning. Taking it in this week and will update my results. My first thought was electronic steering problem as I see a dip in revs that almost cause a stall. The sound is persistent but the rpm dip only occurs when cold.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:48 PM

2015 cls63 amg
I am experiencing the same problem (whining noise from the steering wheel on turns at very speed AND occasional clunking noise when backing out of the driveway) . I bought my car in Feb 2015 and the problem started in October 2015 right after the first scheduled service. The car went to the dealer at least 3 times and they cannot find any problem and insist that there is no problem with the car and the noise is 'normal'. I find their answer unacceptable. Taking the car to a different dealer next week and will update once done. It is extremely annoying to hear the noise and hoping somebody on this thread has an explanation for this.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by RomeStarrS4rs
@moehler saw your cross post and figured I'd chime in. I recently developed a grinding/ moaning sound heard at 5mph or less while turning. Taking it in this week and will update my results. My first thought was electronic steering problem as I see a dip in revs that almost cause a stall. The sound is persistent but the rpm dip only occurs when cold.
Please post if they diagnose it... I'm curious if this is occurring on a lot of cars. From the posts so far, it may turn out to be a common problem as these cars build up miles.

Originally Posted by sureshdongre
I am experiencing the same problem (whining noise from the steering wheel on turns at very speed AND occasional clunking noise when backing out of the driveway) . I bought my car in Feb 2015 and the problem started in October 2015 right after the first scheduled service. The car went to the dealer at least 3 times and they cannot find any problem and insist that there is no problem with the car and the noise is 'normal'. I find their answer unacceptable. Taking the car to a different dealer next week and will update once done. It is extremely annoying to hear the noise and hoping somebody on this thread has an explanation for this.
^ it is definitely not normal for a low mileage $100k+ msrp car to squeak when turning the steering wheel!

So, I was back at the dealer today (4th visit for this) and I met the tech that worked on the car. He fully agrees that the noise is still there. Although he replaced both struts and both strut bearings, he quickly diagnosed it as (again) coming from the front right strut bearing. My guess is that it's a faulty part, or it was installed wrong. He wants to replace all 4 parts again... While I'm happy he's trying, at this point I'm skeptical that it will fix it. The car is going in tomorrow, so I'll post as soon as I get an update.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:49 PM

So, everything was finally fixed. While the top bearings and struts were replaced, in the end the noise was caused by the rubber dust shields on the struts rubbing against the rubber edge of the top bearing housing. MB greased it and all was quiet. No noise for a few days now. So moral of the story, it may be struts or the top bearings, or simply the sound dry / dirty rubber on rubber makes (silly design imo).
Old 02-05-2016, 09:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 CLS63 AMG S-Model
I'm starting to hear the same thing on mine...

Sounds like rubber on rubber when turning at extremely slow speeds (or stopped for that matter)...
Old 02-06-2016, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Zhariak
I'm starting to hear the same thing on mine...

Sounds like rubber on rubber when turning at extremely slow speeds (or stopped for that matter)...
Hopefully a dealer will take care of it for you.

If not, here is a thread where you can see a few pics of how I re-greased the strut dust covers when adding lowering springs. You can also see the bearings that may go bad.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w218/6133...-e63-w212.html

No noise for a few weeks now...

Last edited by moehler; 02-06-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:59 AM

2015 CLS63 AMG S-Model
Originally Posted by moehler

If not, here is a thread where you can see a few pics of how I re-greased the strut dust covers when adding lowering springs. You can also see the bearings that may go bad.

Thanks bud!

I've only had one visit to service, but I'm getting the feeling I have an awesome dealer/service just from that one visit. I'm going to mention it when I go in to get my winter tires swapped to summers and my first oil change
Old 02-08-2016, 11:18 AM

E63 estate
Mine is having its steering rack replaced and once i get it back i'll know exactly what parts were replaced. Should have it back tomorrow.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:08 AM

2015 CLS63 AMG S-Model
I'm not fully convinced it's the dust shields rubbing yet...

I've noticed lately the sounds have changed a bit... It occurs more when the wheel is close to being fully turned to the left or right. It could however be the temperature changes outside.

I'm seriously thinking it's something rubbing where the steering wheel meets the firewall. Just because of how quiet the sound is, and I tried turning the steering wheel while parked and put my head down in the pedal area... I could be wrong, but I donno... I'm going to wait and see.

I just don't want to start having the vehicle taken apart if it's unnecessary when reporting the problem to service...
Old 02-09-2016, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by RomeStarrS4rs
Mine is having its steering rack replaced and once i get it back i'll know exactly what parts were replaced. Should have it back tomorrow.
Great, let us know if that solves it the problem.

Originally Posted by Zhariak
I'm not fully convinced it's the dust shields rubbing yet...

I've noticed lately the sounds have changed a bit... It occurs more when the wheel is close to being fully turned to the left or right. It could however be the temperature changes outside.

I'm seriously thinking it's something rubbing where the steering wheel meets the firewall. Just because of how quiet the sound is, and I tried turning the steering wheel while parked and put my head down in the pedal area... I could be wrong, but I donno... I'm going to wait and see.

I just don't want to start having the vehicle taken apart if it's unnecessary when reporting the problem to service...
If it's at the extremes of steering, it could be as simple as cracked bump-stops (I believe this car has rubber/plastic stoppers)
Old 02-09-2016, 12:55 PM

2015 CLS63 AMG S-Model
Great, let us know if that solves it the problem.

If it's at the extremes of steering, it could be as simple as cracked bump-stops (I believe this car has rubber/plastic stoppers)
I'm not sure if that's the case, I'm noticing its louder on the ends, but it can still be heard when the steering wheel is straight and slightly turned left/right as well...

I might wait until winter is over and all this snow and crap is off the ground, give it 5-10 good cleanings (I always clean the wheel wells, etc)... and see if it gets better in warm temps...

It only occurs after the vehicle has been warmed up and driven. Turning on first thing in the AM it doesn't happen. And it doesn't happen at all when there's decent speed.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:21 PM

2015 CLS63 AMG S-Model
Sorry for another post...

Finally got some help finding where the sound was coming from. Got my dad to turn the wheel while I was outside of the vehicle...

Sound is definitely not coming from around the wheels/suspension. I'd bet money it's coming from the steering column/firewall area...
Old 02-09-2016, 03:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,070 Likes on 1,443 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Had this same issue day one with two brand new 2014 e550's with distro

Dealer didn't work too hard before they said "normal"
Old 02-09-2016, 04:17 PM

2015 CLS63 AMG S-Model
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Had this same issue day one with two brand new 2014 e550's with distro

Dealer didn't work too hard before they said "normal"
Hmmm... Did they ever check where the steering goes through the firewall? I'd bet money something is rubbing on my vehicle in there... Betting it just needs lube...

I just don't want them to start replacing stuff if some good old KY lube and love is all it needs Especially since the vehicle is only 4 months old (but I've already put 13,000km on it haha).
Old 02-10-2016, 08:31 PM

2015 CLS63 AMG S-Model
Just got it back!

It was the dust shield... They were well aware of it. Removed everything, did something to it, and then put it all back... Sound was gone on the way home

My dealer rocks!
Old 02-18-2016, 01:56 PM

E63 estate
Here is my report from service.
Attached Thumbnails Steering noise from 2014 CLS63 S-e63-steering.png  
Old 12-18-2020, 11:53 AM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts
09E350, 07E63, 13CLS63

Man, I wish I had paid attention to the noising part of your thread before I had mine lowered. I will have to pay the tech to remove the struts and apply the grease to the rubber dust shields see if it will take care the rubbing noise. Thanks.

Edit: Just check mine, the spring on the right does not seat against the stop-tab of the strut as you have mentioned on your thread. More reasons to believe these have caused the steering noise, especially on the right.

Last edited by dustinN; 12-18-2020 at 12:47 PM.