C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

Question about Resonator Delete and New Mufflers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 02:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG S
Question about Resonator Delete and New Mufflers

Hi all. I have read many threads saying deleting the resonator to get more sound is a great mod without getting much or any drone. Have any of you deleted the resonator and put on new mufflers such as the Renntech sport mufflers together? I was thinking of getting the FI valtronic exhaust but that is fairly $$$. A resonator delete is very cheap and although the Renntech mufflers are pricey, still over 1K less then the FI cat-back exhaust. By the way, anyone ever use any other mufflers other then the Renntech Sport Mufflers? I am sure magnaflows or other brands are way cheaper but I do not want to loose the AMG sound either. Thanks in advance for any help with this matter.

Regards,

LF
Old 03-20-2020, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
I personally wouldn't chop off my AMG exhaust. I removed my secondary cats and resonator and the car sounds LIKE a BEAST. Downshifting makes an incredible bark with zero drone, I couldn't be happier. Only downside is my neighbors probably don't like my 6am cold starts.

Armani

Originally Posted by france2112
Hi all. I have read many threads saying deleting the resonator to get more sound is a great mod without getting much or any drone. Have any of you deleted the resonator and put on new mufflers such as the Renntech sport mufflers together? I was thinking of getting the FI valtronic exhaust but that is fairly $$$. A resonator delete is very cheap and although the Renntech mufflers are pricey, still over 1K less then the FI cat-back exhaust. By the way, anyone ever use any other mufflers other then the Renntech Sport Mufflers? I am sure magnaflows or other brands are way cheaper but I do not want to loose the AMG sound either. Thanks in advance for any help with this matter.

Regards,

LF
Old 03-22-2020, 04:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
CLS550 AMG Pkg.
Originally Posted by armaniE55
I personally wouldn't chop off my AMG exhaust. I removed my secondary cats and resonator and the car sounds LIKE a BEAST. Downshifting makes an incredible bark with zero drone, I couldn't be happier. Only downside is my neighbors probably don't like my 6am cold starts.

Armani
im pretty sure there are no secondary cats on the w218 CLS63, only primary cats in the downpipes

do you have a pic of what was removed?

i replaced my resonator with straight pipes and added valve controlled cut outs right before the mufflers; sounds really good

Old 03-22-2020, 07:37 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2018 E300 Sport:Current 2015 Mercedes Benz C300 Sport- Gone.

Regards,

LF
Hey Larry, I still have the Carlsson Valve Control exhaust system available, this system is still the absolute best value available in the market and is TUV tested and approved. If you want that extra sound and bark, the open position provides just that, and if you want a more subtle tone the option to push a button and close them is there and you retain all the correct flow and performance, no cabin droning and no exhaust smell inside.
These cars brand new were north of $100k and the valve control exhaust system from Carlsson retailed for almost $7k and the Brabus system was basically $10k, Akrapovic was also $10k+, and these systems were engineered and designed to retain and increase performance for these CLS63 cars, and keeping them functional. Going in and cutting off resonators and deleting mufflers for sound may provide some sound improvement, but seems like hacking up a once $100k car does not seem like a safe remedy for proper function. If you honestly cannot afford a Valve Control exhaust system, I would honestly say to leave the car stock and don't do anything to cheapen or risk the performance. Just my 02.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:24 AM

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts
CLS 63 and M4
Mine with just a res delete. IMO...perfect

Old 03-26-2020, 10:16 PM

Hi and thanks for the reply! Where did you get the valve controlled cut outs? Did not know that was an option? So I could keep the stock exhaust and get a valve controlled cut out to keep valves open to increase sound? Tell me more please!

Also you are correct, there are no secondary catalytic converters on a W218 CLS63 that I know of...at least 2015-2017.

Regards,

LF
Old 03-26-2020, 10:17 PM

[QUOTE=M1RAG3;8013655]im pretty sure there are no secondary cats on the w218 CLS63, only primary cats in the downpipes

i replaced my resonator with straight pipes and added valve controlled cut outs right before the mufflers; sounds really good

[/QUOTE

Hi and thanks for the reply! Where did you get the valve controlled cut outs? Did not know that was an option? So I could keep the stock exhaust and get a valve controlled cut out to keep valves open to increase sound? Tell me more please!

Also you are correct, there are no secondary catalytic converters on a W218 CLS63 that I know of...at least 2015-2017.

Regards,

LF
Old 03-27-2020, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by MBJIMBO
Hey Larry, I still have the Carlsson Valve Control exhaust system available, this system is still the absolute best value available in the market and is TUV tested and approved. If you want that extra sound and bark, the open position provides just that, and if you want a more subtle tone the option to push a button and close them is there and you retain all the correct flow and performance, no cabin droning and no exhaust smell inside.
These cars brand new were north of $100k and the valve control exhaust system from Carlsson retailed for almost $7k and the Brabus system was basically $10k, Akrapovic was also $10k+, and these systems were engineered and designed to retain and increase performance for these CLS63 cars, and keeping them functional. Going in and cutting off resonators and deleting mufflers for sound may provide some sound improvement, but seems like hacking up a once $100k car does not seem like a safe remedy for proper function. If you honestly cannot afford a Valve Control exhaust system, I would honestly say to leave the car stock and don't do anything to cheapen or risk the performance. Just my 02.
Hi, hope you are well.

Believe me I thought hard about buying your exhaust but for the money, deleting the resonator to get sound appears to be a no brainer. The resonator can be cut out and then replaced if need be very cheap and it does not hack up the car. Same with the mufflers IMO. This is all easy to do and can be reversed without harm. Only downside is that I can't control the sound like would be able to with your exhaust. I have two worries with your exhaust, the first is I do not know how it will sound? I do not know anyone with it and I just can't tell from a video? If it sounded like the FI valvetronic exhaust then that would be great! The next worry is fitment with my aftermarket rear diffuser and the muffler tips...and how it will connect to the car...just too many unknowns for me unfortunately. How much are you selling it for again? The resonator on it looks like a small secondary muffler...is it restrictive at all? It is such a rare exhaust...
Old 03-27-2020, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by 1MavRick
Mine with just a res delete. IMO...perfect

https://youtu.be/6rWIGF4UKzw
Any drone during regular driving that makes you regret doing straight pipes? That is my biggest worry. Thanks for the reply!

LF
Old 03-27-2020, 04:54 AM

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts
CLS 63 and M4
Any drone during regular driving that makes you regret doing straight pipes? That is my biggest worry. Thanks for the reply!

LF
not the least bit of drone. It’s barely noticeable over stock in normal driving. Maybe a bit deeper and slightly louder. The biggest difference is during cold start and WOT. And it always brings a smile to your face.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1MavRick:
C63fora2w1 (03-29-2020), france2112 (03-28-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 02:06 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
c292 gle63S, Range Rover LWB
Hi, hope you are well.

Believe me I thought hard about buying your exhaust but for the money, deleting the resonator to get sound appears to be a no brainer. The resonator can be cut out and then replaced if need be very cheap and it does not hack up the car. Same with the mufflers IMO. This is all easy to do and can be reversed without harm. Only downside is that I can't control the sound like would be able to with your exhaust. I have two worries with your exhaust, the first is I do not know how it will sound? I do not know anyone with it and I just can't tell from a video? If it sounded like the FI valvetronic exhaust then that would be great! The next worry is fitment with my aftermarket rear diffuser and the muffler tips...and how it will connect to the car...just too many unknowns for me unfortunately. How much are you selling it for again? The resonator on it looks like a small secondary muffler...is it restrictive at all? It is such a rare exhaust...
The Carlsson exhaust is pretty loud, loud as the FI exhaust. It will be a lot louder than doing just a resonator delete and you have valve control. Plus these rare parts will hold value in the future.
The following users liked this post:
france2112 (03-28-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 05:38 PM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by M1RAG3
im pretty sure there are no secondary cats on the w218 CLS63, only primary cats in the downpipes

Hey I love this !! its exactly what I have been looking for where did you get it and how much was it ?
Old 01-02-2021, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes-Benz CLS 550
Originally Posted by C63fora2w1
Hey I love this !! its exactly what I have been looking for where did you get it and how much was it ?
These look like what I just got for my CLS 550. They are called Granatelli Performance Electric Exhaust Cutout Systems with a Electronic Dump Pipe. I paid $378.50 from Jegs. I had to wait for my order to be build as they were out of stock, so they are popular. I'll get them installed in the next few weeks. The only pain in the A is where to install the toggle switch. I'm thinking in the Ashtray compartment.
Here's the YouTube clips.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+Cutout+System