C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Anyone try to change the clock?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spyker C8, MB ML63 AMG, land rover
Anyone try to change the clock?

I know this sounds pretty basic, but I just tried to change the clock on my new baby and I can tell you, it is the least intuitive exercise you can imagine and very painful. Is it just me, or did others have problems adjusting their clocks for daylight savings?
Old 04-03-2005, 10:08 PM
Almost a Member!

CL65 & ML63
Push the service button next to the command display, then push the button next to the word Clock, then when the time is displayed on the screen push the up button then push OK. Once you have done it once it will be no problem in the future.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:13 PM
Almost a Member!

CL65 & ML63
Sorry, I told you to plush Clock and you should push Time.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:47 PM

Tesla
I sat in the driveway trying to change my clock this morning. Took a few minutes but eventually I did find it. Yeah I agree it's not the most intuitive menu system.

Can the COMAND screen display current time? Or do I have to rely on the clock in cluster?
Old 04-04-2005, 09:39 PM

Challenged a friend of mine who's part MB freak, part tech geek and it took him a good 20 mins before he figured it out and that was WITH the manual!.

The real trick, which again, is about as intuitive as navigating the space shuttle, is that you must first turn the time synchronization to head unit (whatever the heck that means!) and then set that to the "off" position.

Then the other wildly non-intuitive bit is that even when you think you've got the clock set correctly, you must "confirm the action" by pressing the reset button, otherwise it will not correct the time. Also had this wacky thing where the analog clock just started spinning around without any rhyme or reason...thought the thing was possessed.

I love my car, but cursed the Control System most of the night last night.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Ummm... I don't know exactly why it is so difficult for everyone else, but if you leave the time synchronization with head unit in the "ON" setting, then all you have to do is set the time on the head unit. Press the SERV button, select TIME from the soft keys, change the hour with up/down. Press OK and you're done. This is on a US-spec COMAND.

Just like what Ken Rogers wrote above.

-s-
Old 04-05-2005, 11:04 AM

2013 w204 C350
Originally Posted by scorchie
Ummm... I don't know exactly why it is so difficult for everyone else, but if you leave the time synchronization with head unit in the "ON" setting, then all you have to do is set the time on the head unit. Press the SERV button, select TIME from the soft keys, change the hour with up/down. Press OK and you're done. This is on a US-spec COMAND.

-s-
Suprised people are having so many problems, took me all of 8 seconds to change the time.

Fazooley
Old 04-05-2005, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
Am i correct in assuming all you guys have the same clock as in the new CLS55? I had no idea there were so many CLS55 owners already.

T
Old 04-05-2005, 02:01 PM

-s-
If this is an intuitive exercise for you, then you must hail from planet Vulcan...on planet Earth, we simply either turn the dial of an analog clock (one step) or follow some very basic steps to accomplish the same thing...there are even some cars equipped with "Smart Clocks" with neat little features like automatic daylight savings time correction where you NEVER have to touch the clock, but that's for another thread.

On a serious note, just count the number of steps you've described above, coupled with some rather funky use of the English language for commands ("head unit"?...maybe "moon unit") and what should be a pretty straightforward exercise starts to give this car the same level of complexity that the BMW 7 series suffered from.

Again, love my car, but hate when the Germans over-engineer something.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by swisstrader
If this is an intuitive exercise for you, then you must hail from planet Vulcan...on planet Earth, we simply either turn the dial of an analog clock (one step) or follow some very basic steps to accomplish the same thing...there are even some cars equipped with "Smart Clocks" with neat little features like automatic daylight savings time correction where you NEVER have to touch the clock, but that's for another thread.

On a serious note, just count the number of steps you've described above, coupled with some rather funky use of the English language for commands ("head unit"?...maybe "moon unit") and what should be a pretty straightforward exercise starts to give this car the same level of complexity that the BMW 7 series suffered from.

Again, love my car, but hate when the Germans over-engineer something.
Let's see... I am looking down at my Rolex Seadweller watch, would I think most would agree is a pretty basic "clock" movement (compare to my JLC Master Geographique, and you'll know what I am saying). My instructions for setting the time on this device would be something like:

Unscrew the crown fully. Pull the crown out past the first click to the second click. Rotate the crown in the desired direction to change the time. Depress the crown one click. Set the date by rotating the crown. Fully depress the crown. Screw the crown in being careful not to crossthread.

(I won't go into how you're not supposed to change the date between certain times of day and need to change the time to a "safe" time before changing the date.)

"Head unit" is a pretty standard term if you are talking about cars. We are talking about cars here, aren't we? I would suspect that using a standard English term on a forum specifically about cars would be a safe bet. Just like "crown" is pretty generic when you're talking about a watch.

If you're complaining about how difficult it is for you, that's fine. But you should probably take a little initiative and maybe get some self education before complaining too loudly.

-s-

p.s. many Mercedes do have clocks that adjust for summer time. But with the propensity for governments to actually change the rules for summer time on an alarmingly frequent basis, it becomes difficult to "program" this in to the clocks. Search on the web if you'd like to see when the rules have been changed in both the US and other countries.

p.p.s. I own no cars nor clocks, and haven't for quite a while, that would change time simply by turning something. As far as I can remember, it requires first taking some action such as pulling the crown out, etc. When you get into satellite controlled timepieces, it is unlikely that you need to change the minutes, so changing just the hour by rotating a device seems counterintuitive.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:19 PM

2010 599 HGTE, 2009 LP560-4, 2010 Range Rover Sport SC
clock is easy, keep it sycned with command. i have no probs.

the trick though, is how to get the time to dispaly on the command, and not by going into the "set time" menu every time. anyone know if its even possible, Scorchie maybe??
Old 04-05-2005, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by adam76
clock is easy, keep it sycned with command. i have no probs.

the trick though, is how to get the time to dispaly on the command, and not by going into the "set time" menu every time. anyone know if its even possible, Scorchie maybe??
Not possible with the current software in COMAND... I think the designers knew that there is a clock in the instrument cluster and felt it would be unnecessary to do this.

Strange, because the Audio 50 APS / Audio 50 USA can continuously display the time, large, in the display.

-s-
Old 04-05-2005, 05:59 PM

Tesla
While we're on the topic of COMAND, is there a way to use the navigation without audio being turned on?
Old 04-05-2005, 10:37 PM

Let's see... I am looking down at my Rolex Seadweller watch, would I think most would agree is a pretty basic "clock" movement (compare to my JLC Master Geographique, and you'll know what I am saying). My instructions for setting the time on this device would be something like:

Unscrew the crown fully. Pull the crown out past the first click to the second click. Rotate the crown in the desired direction to change the time. Depress the crown one click. Set the date by rotating the crown. Fully depress the crown. Screw the crown in being careful not to crossthread.

(I won't go into how you're not supposed to change the date between certain times of day and need to change the time to a "safe" time before changing the date.)

"Head unit" is a pretty standard term if you are talking about cars. We are talking about cars here, aren't we? I would suspect that using a standard English term on a forum specifically about cars would be a safe bet. Just like "crown" is pretty generic when you're talking about a watch.

If you're complaining about how difficult it is for you, that's fine. But you should probably take a little initiative and maybe get some self education before complaining too loudly.

-s-

p.s. many Mercedes do have clocks that adjust for summer time. But with the propensity for governments to actually change the rules for summer time on an alarmingly frequent basis, it becomes difficult to "program" this in to the clocks. Search on the web if you'd like to see when the rules have been changed in both the US and other countries.

p.p.s. I own no cars nor clocks, and haven't for quite a while, that would change time simply by turning something. As far as I can remember, it requires first taking some action such as pulling the crown out, etc. When you get into satellite controlled timepieces, it is unlikely that you need to change the minutes, so changing just the hour by rotating a device seems counterintuitive.
Sounds like it's time for a new watch!...besides, Rolex is old technology, heavy and generally speaking, somewhat outdated, but then again, for a guy in your age group or a guy that's still driving around a 1987 190E, that might be perfectly acceptable. To compare changing the time on a Rolex to that of an analog clock on a 2006 MB is akin to comparing an Edsel Corsair 410 cubic inch engine to that of the CLS55 AMG...nonsensical at best.

Also, when you indicate that "head unit" is pretty standard speak when talking about cars, it's actually the heart and soul of the car's audio system and less about the car itself...funny, you seem to not know it had anything to do with the audio portion of the car. Again, how many cars do you know that ask you to first syncronize the head unit??

p.s. are you really 14 or 15 as your profile indicates?...that may explain a thing or two.

Last edited by swisstrader; 04-05-2005 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL-500 (mine), Ferrari Spider convertible (was Husbands, mine now!)
Rolex is old technology, heavy and generally speaking, somewhat outdated
But a Rolex is like a nice Benz, timeless, classy and dripping with money... :p
Old 04-06-2005, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Natalie
But a Rolex is like a nice Benz, timeless, classy and dripping with money... :p
Natalie: agreed, but depends upon which Rolex and at this stage, there are actually more counterfeits out there than the real deal and counterfeits can be had as cheaply as $50. A very close lady friend of mine goes to Chinatown every few weeks and picks up 5 or 6 Prada, Chanel and Fendi bags, all for under $100!

Also, real playas don't wear a Rolex these days: they wear Constantin Vacheron (some watches as high as $540,000) or a $60,000 Patek Philippe Perpetual Calendar watch, although they've been known to fetch as much as $11M at Sotheby's or a Girard-Perregaux or my personal favorite, an Audemars Piguet classic in black....then again GW Bush wears a Timex
Old 04-06-2005, 01:06 PM

Too funny...seems I'm not the only one dealing with the pain of changing the clock...clock threads popping up all over the place on this silly issue:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...39#post1081239

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ighlight=clock

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ighlight=clock

Last edited by swisstrader; 04-06-2005 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Swisstrader, you say Rolex is "old technology" yet than you mention VC. Do you have any idea how long VC has been making watches? I'm not a Rolex fan but Scorchie's point about chaning the time on them is dead on. Do you think it's any different on a VC or GP (which, by the way is not in the same league as Patek or VC)? I'd much rather change the time on my car than my Patek Annual Calendar or JLC Perp. or Lange 1 etc. On another note, of all the high end watch makers do you realize how few manufacture their own movements in-house? I would much rather own pieces from these companies than the others, but that's just me.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:07 PM

SL-500 (mine), Ferrari Spider convertible (was Husbands, mine now!)
there are actually more counterfeits out there than the real deal and counterfeits can be had as cheaply as $50. A very close lady friend of mine goes to Chinatown every few weeks and picks up 5 or 6 Prada, Chanel and Fendi bags, all for under $100!
Imitation is the greatest form of flattery :p True you can get knock-off's if you want to impress other people for cheap, but I am the only one who needs to know my Rolex is genuine. Kinda like Diamonds (yes I have to go there) you can get a CZ that no one can tell is fake but we gals like to know it's the real deal
Old 04-06-2005, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Natalie
Imitation is the greatest form of flattery :p True you can get knock-off's if you want to impress other people for cheap, but I am the only one who needs to know my Rolex is genuine. Kinda like Diamonds (yes I have to go there) you can get a CZ that no one can tell is fake but we gals like to know it's the real deal
I hear that and there's a world of difference between the real deal and a knock off and that goes for anything from watches to golf clubs to handbags.

In the case of CZ, I can tell the difference but others apparently cannot...in fact, just to hold my wife over when we got engaged, I gave her a 10 carat CZ just as a gag of sorts and to allow her to pick out her diamond herself...problem was, she thought it was real and was so jazzed, I could barely tell her that it was just a placeholder for the real deal, which while it was nice, it was not 10 carats. Still made her happy.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
Sounds like it's time for a new watch!...besides, Rolex is old technology, heavy and generally speaking, somewhat outdated, but then again, for a guy in your age group or a guy that's still driving around a 1987 190E, that might be perfectly acceptable. To compare changing the time on a Rolex to that of an analog clock on a 2006 MB is akin to comparing an Edsel Corsair 410 cubic inch engine to that of the CLS55 AMG...nonsensical at best.

Also, when you indicate that "head unit" is pretty standard speak when talking about cars, it's actually the heart and soul of the car's audio system and less about the car itself...funny, you seem to not know it had anything to do with the audio portion of the car. Again, how many cars do you know that ask you to first syncronize the head unit??

p.s. are you really 14 or 15 as your profile indicates?...that may explain a thing or two.

dude i usually stick up for other ny'ers on the board but you have no idea what you are talking about. noobs should read the boards before they open their big mouths and start talking ****
Old 04-06-2005, 08:26 PM

"dude i usually stick up for other ny'ers on the board but you have no idea what you are talking about. noobs should read the boards before they open their big mouths and start talking ****[/QUOTE]

Coming from you "dude", I view that as a huge compliment. Just a sampling of posts from BklynBenz....ever consider anger management "dude"?

03-22-2005, 07:35 AM #13
BklynBenz
MBWorld Fanatic!
hey taiwan you crack me up, i didny say **** to you and you come off attacking me. insecure maybe? i dont give a **** where you lived or where your brown stone was. good luck with this sale and the sale of your bag that when added together are worth more than your c240 sport, hahahahahahahaha. learn to speak and type then go kill yourself!

03-20-2005, 11:18 PM #32
BklynBenz
MBWorld Fanatic!
whats the big fukin deal? if you cant see what the guy is doing youre a retard. i guess the score board in the upper right hand corner is how many times he beat it and how long it took him

03-12-2005, 05:29 PM #66
BklynBenz
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds/looks like youre the one getting upset. no need to get your panties twisted but the black card is not translucent.

03-08-2005, 12:14 PM #70
BklynBenz
MBWorld Fanatic!

not as cute as my sac on your girls chin, lol

BklynBenz

sorry dude im not a dinosaur like you, haha. you are right i am 25 but ive been going out since i was 15 years old and to me 10 years feels like a hot minute.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:16 PM

Also, real playas don't wear a Rolex these days: they wear Constantin Vacheron (some watches as high as $540,000) or a $60,000 Patek Philippe Perpetual Calendar watch, although they've been known to fetch as much as $11M at Sotheby's or a Girard-Perregaux or my personal favorite, an Audemars Piguet classic in black....then again GW Bush wears a Timex
Man...even watch debates on ths forum - I'll take my old white face daytona or my stainless Panerai Marina any day - guess it depends on who you wanna impress though.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by john87699
Man...even watch debates on ths forum - I'll take my old white face daytona or my stainless Panerai Marina any day - guess it depends on who you wanna impress though.
The Great Watch Debate!...always the most inocuous of threads produce the greatest smattering of blather and venomous trash.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:43 PM

2010 599 HGTE, 2009 LP560-4, 2010 Range Rover Sport SC
anyone see the CLS55 forum, i thought it was around here somewhere????

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone try to change the clock?