Review - Mercedes CLS: Sexy, but a little weird

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2005 | 10:39 PM

2008 Bentley GTC, Porsche GT2/EVOMS GT700, 1968 Dodge Charger Hemi
Review - Mercedes CLS: Sexy, but a little weird

From CNN.com auto review:

Mercedes CLS: Sexy, but a little weird

'Four-door coupe' looks great and drives well, too. But there's a price for fashion.

September 15, 2005; Posted: 5:11 p.m. EDT (2111 GMT)

By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNN/Money staff writer

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Looks aren't everything. But they sure can make up for a lot.

Take the Mercedes-Benz CLS sedan, for example. This sexy and dramatic-looking car makes an awe-inspiring entrance with its swooping, windswept appearance.

The reason it makes such an impression, of course, is that most large four-door cars aren't shaped that way. And there's a good reason they're not. But, oh my, it sure looks sweet.

The design of the CLS does have some drawbacks and, for those who are less enamored of a striking appearance, there are four-door luxury sedans that are easier to see out of and easier on your back seat passengers.

Your friends will need supple spines to fit through the CLS's low, sloping back doors. They'd better not be too tall, either, because there isn't much room back there for anyone of above-average height.

In the front seat, though, things are pretty much fine except that the top of the narrow side windows might seem a bit close to your head. Visibility to the sides and back is somewhat crimped. That takes a little getting used to.

The version of the car I drove for a few days was not your ordinary CLS sedan, by the way, if one could call this hyper-stylized machine ordinary. I had the AMG version, the CLS55, meaning it was more expensive, used more high-test gas and went faster than the standard-issue CLS350 or CLS500.

For about $20,000 more than the CLS500 -- prices for the CLS55 start at about $89,000 -- you get a 469-horsepower supercharged engine, big wheels wrapped in tires so thin-sided they look like black rubber bands and, on the inside, some pretty amazing seats.

You also get a $1,700 gas guzzler tax. With the current price of premium gas, required by the CLS55's supercharged engine, the extra tax seems almost redundant. If you cared about $1,700 you wouldn't be studying the window sticker on a car like this, now would you?

Including that gas tax and some fancy options, like adaptive cruise control that automatically maintains a following distance behind the car ahead of you, my test unit gently poked through the six-figure barrier.

The car's leather seats, the front ones at least, adjust about every imaginable way. They heat you, they cool you, they even massage you. If you turn a corner hard the side bolsters automatically move in to hold you tight. The effect is startling at first but oddly comforting once you get used to it.

The CLS55's driving personality is easily changeable. Buttons below the gearshift can make the shock absorbers stiffen up for high-speed handling or soften for urban cruising. The gearshift itself can be set to "comfort" mode -- which doesn't even bother using first gear -- or "sport" mode which uses all five gears and holds each of them as long as it can.

Touch a button, flick the shifter, and the CLS55 AMG goes from "cruiser" to "screamer" in moments and without stopping.

In "Sport" mode acceleration is startlingly fast. In this country, at least, you'd better be ready to lift off the gas pedal quickly because you'll be breaking the law before you can say "I can explain, officer...."

With the suspension drawn up tight, the car stays smooth, flat and easily controllable. The toughest turns are taken with aplomb as the driver's seat gives you an appreciative embrace.

The CLS55 is a fairly big car and the small windows can exaggerate its size from the driver's seat, but it moves like a pocket rocket and sounds like a muscle car.

Interface plant

Unfortunately, few things in a Mercedes-Benz are as easy to control as the performance settings on an AMG car.

Mercedes-Benz cars feature an amazing variety of badly designed interfaces for controlling various vehicle functions.

For some reason, Mercedes' cruise control is on a steering wheel stalk that is placed within easier reach than the turn signal. Perhaps that makes sense on the Autobahn, but not where I live.

Some things, like settings for the lights and trip meters, are manipulated through buttons on the steering wheel. Even reading the manual doesn't help much with figuring out how they work.

Other things, like the navigation system and stereo, are controlled through an array of buttons surrounding an LCD screen in the center of the console.

Either way, the controls are as clear as a triple thick milkshake and figuring out how to do one thing is absolutely no help when it comes to figuring out the next thing.

The earth-shaking AMG performance features aside, the CLS is a strange creature: a four-door luxury car that shares some back-seat access issues with the coupes it's styled to look like. One could consider the inconvenient access part of the price of fashion.

But, for those who care more about seeing out than being seen, there are cars from BMW, Jaguar and Mercedes-Benz itself that offer plenty of power and performance without putting the squeeze on your guests.
Old 09-16-2005 | 02:58 AM

2006 SLK350
I must admit that the CLS is a damn pretty car... but it just has too many doors... Why live with the backseat hassles of a coupe and have the bother of four doors?

I'm probably wrong, but I just don't see this car being a commercial success. It is, in my opinion, just too confused about who it's market is.
Old 09-16-2005 | 03:16 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
Originally Posted by taroliw
I'm probably wrong, but I just don't see this car being a commercial success. It is, in my opinion, just too confused about who it's market is.
You can be 100% sure that you're wrong....You can visit my dealership and IF he has a CLS 55 in stock, you pay 15K over MSRP! This reflects commercial success, IMO. BTW, you have to consider that this car wasn't meant to be a car with high sales-numbers like a Dodge. Mercedes needn't sell as many cars as US-manufacturers to get their numbers straight.

The second review is simply stupid because they compare a CLS to "large four door sedans". EVERYBODY knows that the CLS should and wants be considered a coupe (if anybody needs more space, get an E-Class).

I'd like to see a BMW (that is available RIGHT NOW) and especially a Jaguar that can compete with this car! This guy has simply no idea what he's talking about.. If he's already confused with the Mercedes Navi- and Bordcomputer system and he refers to BMW, I wish him good luck with I-drive...
Old 09-16-2005 | 03:26 PM

2006 SLK350
Well, I guess time will tell. But I have seen several examples of the car around -- on road and in dealerships -- and I never think "coupe" when I look at it. I think "pretty E Class". And they aren't kidding about that back seat. I tried several cars on for size when I was deciding what to order, and hit my head every damned time I got into that back seat. I'm only 5'9" tall, for heaven's sake.

There is a lot to like about the styling of this car, but there is a lot to shake one's head at too. I guess in this regard it might well be considered to have had similar reaction to Bangle's 7-series.
Old 09-16-2005 | 03:46 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
Well, if I would have to carry passengers in the back on a regular basis, I wouldn't have ordered that car. Just to make that clear.

But everybody has to admitt that this car is not a family-van. Nobody would say "oh, there is only limited space in the back.." if they had built it without the rear-doors, and that makes absolutely no sense to me. It would be stupid to say that your CLK would be a bad car since everybody who wants to get in the back row of your car would have to climb over the front seats... or your SLK is even worse because "guests would have to walk" because this car has no second row at all.

I consider the CLS a coupe with emergency-seats in the back, and those two additional doors are really convenient, without a doubt (even if you want to go shopping etc.).

We must compare apples to apples and since I'll drive this car without passengers, I'm happy they didn't damage this great design by wasting additional space for unused rear-seats.
Old 09-16-2005 | 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 SL63
Originally Posted by FloridaE55
Well, if I would have to carry passengers in the back on a regular basis, I wouldn't have ordered that car. Just to make that clear

I consider the CLS a coupe with emergency-seats in the back, and those two additional doors are really convenient, without a doubt (even if you want to go shopping etc.).

We must compare apples to apples and since I'll drive this car without passengers, I'm happy they didn't damage this great design by wasting additional space for unused rear-seats.
What he said!!

The looks of the car... pull a cls55 up any where there are people and watch the group migrate to the car. I've had to put a baseball bat in the car to keep people away...
Old 09-16-2005 | 04:36 PM

as i said in another forum...

the car has never marketed as a roomy 4 door sedan but a coupe. the idea of coupe is never practical. now if u have 2 extra doors on a coupe then it's very practical. depends on how u look at it. from day one MB carefully stated it's a coupe. they did that is because they need to prevent people like u from complaining. the idea might sounds stupid but the market needs it. if u need a true 4 door & 5 seater car u'll buy the E-class or S-class. i rarely carry passengers but i like the idea to have doors for them if needed yet the car looks sporty enough. at least they don't need to kick back of my seats when they go in & out.

bottomline, if u have to have a true sports car the CLS is not for u. if the rear seating room is important the CLS is not for u. otherwise there's nothing else on the market yet, period.
Old 09-16-2005 | 04:43 PM

2006 SLK350
I guess that's my basic issue... I haven't drunk the Kool Aid regarding a foor door vehicle being a coupe... instead it's just an impractical sedan. A pretty one, mind you... but...

If I were to buy the CLS, I'd feel compelled to weld the rear doors shut.

Heh, actually, what this reminds me of were some of the older coupes that were based on the bodies of the sedans. Only this time they just left the second pair of doors on. I just don't get it, the marketing or the car.

But oh well. Perhaps they'll make a real coupe that's as pretty. I understand the '07 CL is on it's way....
Old 09-16-2005 | 06:08 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
Just want to remind you that it's just a question of getting used to this new style (Porsche just "jumped on" this idea as well). Hmmm, why should they do that if there is no demand for such a car??

I consider the SLK and CLK more impractical, and that's why I'm a bit confused that somebody who actually owns or claims to own these two cars sees a problem in limited second row space... What "practical" advantages do they have towards the CLS? The CL looks nice from the front, but the part where the rear-window flaws into the trunk is simply ugly and not dynamic at all, IMO. Looks like a temporary solution made by a cheap body-shop. This car is simply too big for a coupe. Actually, this is a good example where they took a big sedan and removed 2 doors....

I do respect your opinion but your point of view appears to me a bit strange though...

After all, it's just a matter of taste but as far as I know, this car in particular is considered good looking from the majority of people who have seen it in person.

Last edited by FloridaE55; 09-16-2005 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-16-2005 | 06:17 PM

2006 SLK350
Well, I think the jury is a bit mixed on the results, honestly. Which means it's either trend-setting or will be forgettable in a few years time. Has anyone else seen the CLS design appraisal in the last MB STAR magazine? If I remember when I get home, I'll post the quotes from it here. Let's just say that it was a mixed bag. If I remember correctly, the biggest slams were impracticality (low roof height & reduced outward view) and Japanese-like design queues (wow, isn't THAT A switch... Germans borrowing from the Japanese!).

As for Porsche... Well, let's just say that all the companies are hurting, and the apparent response is "we need to be in as many markets as we possibly can, and capture them early". Look at how many hard top convertibles are coming out, for example. And people thought that was a trend that would soon end in '97. These days, crossovers (incl R class) seem to be the next Big Thing... but who knows if they'll really spark buyers. I read one appraisal of the R that suggested it may have come at an unfortunate time.... high gas prices and decreasing demand for larger vehicles. To me, the notion of a four-door coupe fits in this same line: a trendy idea that may or may not take flight in the long term. But until they know, some companies will put them out there just to see if the concept works in reality.

But you are quite correct... it's a matter of preference and visceral reaction to the design. Pretty though it is, for me it just is too confused... it contrives to be a coupe, but also a sedan...

Just for giggles, I actually looked up coupe, sedan, and roadster on webster.com (see below). Well, I guess our "coupes" are just sedans without the extra two doors, after all! But then how can a four door vehicle be a coupe.... hmm....

Main Entry: cou·pé
Variant(s): or coupe /kü-'pA, 2 often 'küp/
Function: noun
Etymology: French coupé, from past participle of couper to cut, strike
1 : a four-wheeled closed horse-drawn carriage for two persons inside with an outside seat for the driver in front
2 usually coupe : a 2-door automobile often seating only two persons; also : one with a tight-spaced rear seat -- compare SEDAN

Main Entry: se·dan
Pronunciation: si-'dan
Etymology: origin unknown
1 : a portable often covered chair that is designed to carry one person and that is borne on poles by two men
2 a : a 2- or 4-door automobile seating 4 or more persons and usually having a permanent top -- compare COUPE b : a motorboat having one passenger compartment

Main Entry: road·ster
Pronunciation: 'rOd-st&r
1 a : a horse for riding or driving on roads b : a utility saddle horse of the hackney type
2 a : a light carriage : BUGGY b : an automobile with an open body that seats two and has a folding fabric top and a luggage compartment in the rear

Last edited by taroliw; 09-16-2005 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-16-2005 | 07:08 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
..without a doubt, the CLS is something special... :v
Old 09-17-2005 | 12:27 AM

06 CLS55, 07 997TT, 07 ML63, 10 X6M, 11 Alpina B7, 12 997TTS, 13 G63, 13 MP4-12C
Originally Posted by FloridaE55
..without a doubt, the CLS is something special... :v

That's just about sums it all up
Old 09-17-2005 | 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 SL63
Originally Posted by taroliw
I tried several cars on for size when I was deciding what to order, and hit my head every damned time I got into that back seat. I'm only 5'9" tall, for heaven's sake.
Strange, I've had the car for 2 months now and haven't hit my head getting into the rear seat once!!!!
but then I sit in the front seat to drive...
Old 09-17-2005 | 01:21 AM

2006 SLK350
OK. Tracked down the design appraisal I mentioned. This is from the September/October 2005 issue of The Star (an MBCA publication), and are a few quotes from the design appraisal done by Gregg Greeson, a noted car design expert since 1990 and also an MBCA Lone Star section member.

"An entirely new design direction for Mercedes-Benz, the CLS has also set new standards for luxury car styling and packaging..."

"Primarily because of the oversized star in the grille, the front view succeeds best in resembling a Mercedes-Benz. Otherwise, the headlamps and other details wouldn't look out of place on an Asian design."

Of the interior, he says, "... forms are organic, materials are top-class; graphics are elegant. Yet there's nothing really new or innovative about this [interior *], unless one counts the fact that its outside visibility -- as a result of the claustrophobia-inducing side windows -- is surely worst in class. This is an interior that Buick would be proud to call its own."

Of the exterior, Gregg comments, "... The undercut character line is reminiscent of a Bangled BMW or a Hyundai. ... there are few clues that this is a Mercedes-Benz -- not the latest Toyota. The CLS' busy shapes and surfaces look best disguised by black paint ..."

"Despite DaimlerChrysler's claims to the contrary, the existence of a center pillar on the CLS means it's not really a '4-door coupe' -- but the profile qualifies!"

CLS is certainly unique, for the moment. Whether this extends to special is yet to be seen. But it's hard to read Gregg's full assessment without getting the sense that even people who are skilled at car design are a bit uncertain of it. Gregg's overall rating was 75 out of 100.

[* replaced a word the forum editor apparently though was offensive...]

Last edited by taroliw; 09-17-2005 at 01:27 AM.
Old 09-17-2005 | 01:44 PM

2006 CLS55-030, 2002 BMW 540 Wagon, 1995 VW Jetta GLX
Thumbs up New & Stunning !!

The first time I saw the CLS was at Brabus in So. Cal. last November. When I walked into the showroom I was overwhelmed by the CLS's design. I kept walking around the car looking at it from every angle and was not disappointed, no matter what angle I was looking at it from.

I am 6'2" and had no problems entering and exiting the rear seat, and have never felt the side windows to be claustrophobia-inducing. Like any new & aggressive design it will be controversial, and will invoke a lot of negative & positive emotion.

For me it is an incredibly stunning design that I am totally comfortable with. - Bob