C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

this 4 door coupe business

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NSX
this 4 door coupe business

OK I really like the CLS, and would buy one myself.... but I thought a sedan had 4 doors, and a coupe had two doors. I understand the CLS looks kinda like it would be a 2 door, but it still HAS 4 DOORS!!!. So what is this "coupe" business and why is it listed in the forum under the coupes section? Now MB and some other manufacturers are calling some of their OTHER upcoming cars "four door coupes". HUH? what the hell is a "four door coupe??"... did this word change its meaning while I was sleeping last night? Before you know it some marketing genius will come up with something like "extended coupe" as a name for their new minivan.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MGT, 12 CLS63 Launch
Originally Posted by AMG2GO
OK I really like the CLS, and would buy one myself.... but I thought a sedan had 4 doors, and a coupe had two doors. I understand the CLS looks kinda like it would be a 2 door, but it still HAS 4 DOORS!!!. So what is this "coupe" business and why is it listed in the forum under the coupes section? Now MB and some other manufacturers are calling some of their OTHER upcoming cars "four door coupes". HUH? what the hell is a "four door coupe??"... did this word change its meaning while I was sleeping last night? Before you know it some marketing genius will come up with something like "extended coupe" as a name for their new minivan.

its on a coupe platform from what i understand
Old 11-01-2005, 03:18 PM

2006 CLS 55 2007 M6 Vert, 2008 S550
I prefer Coupan....or the often overlooked Sedoup!
Old 11-01-2005, 03:25 PM

NSX
Originally Posted by TectiteE
its on a coupe platform from what i understand
I think a platform is a platform... and you can do with it what you will.... 4 or 2 doors. And I believe the CLS shares it with the E... which, by chance is a 4 door.

I don't think there is any logic behind this wording except some marketing BS and I think its just going to be way overdone. I don't know where I read this but the CLS is not the only vehicle that will be called a 4 door coupe.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:27 PM

NSX
Originally Posted by BurnR8
I prefer Coupan....or the often overlooked Sedoup!
I think you may have a marketing job waiting for you at MB.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG
I think they call it a 4-door coupe because its a little bit of both. Its a 4 door and its also a 4 seater?
Old 11-01-2005, 04:09 PM

NSX
Originally Posted by Bipasha493
I think they call it a 4-door coupe because its a little bit of both. Its a 4 door and its also a 4 seater?
Ummmmm...... isn't that called a sedan?

Trending Topics

Old 11-01-2005, 09:37 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Its Mercedes- They can call it whatever they want......I wonder the same thing actually.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:29 PM

2007 ML 320CDI
AMG2GO, why does it matter so much what they call it? The car is beautiful and is a revolutionary concept. Let's just enjoy it.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:51 PM

No longer car shopping...
Next license tag...4DCoupe

Pure 1000% marketing BS. Just because Merc got tot he market first doesn't mean it's the only one doing this. Seen the next Porsche 4-door coupe coming out yet? You might as well get use to it, like the SUV's of yesteryear, the 4-door coupe is the "next big thing" with the big price tag to match it
Old 11-01-2005, 11:08 PM

NSX
Originally Posted by aniantchev
AMG2GO, why does it matter so much what they call it? The car is beautiful and is a revolutionary concept. Let's just enjoy it.
Of course its a beautiful car. That's exactly why it doesn't need some gimicky marketing name. Its just dumb. That's all. The car has 4 doors, its a sedan. List it under sedans on the website. Don't send someone looking for a 4 door car searching under coupes.

Call it what it is: The best looking sedan in the world.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:59 AM

2012 Diavel
This has been debated to death for months. Who cares? So they invented a new definition that will be used again in the future by other car manufacturers. MBenz is again on the forefront of inovation.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Nij

2005 Black/Black E55
Sedans fit 5 people....coupe's either fit 2 or 4. Since this only fits 4, its a coupe! that makes sense
Old 11-03-2005, 05:52 PM

NSX
Originally Posted by Nij
Sedans fit 5 people....coupe's either fit 2 or 4. Since this only fits 4, its a coupe! that makes sense
No, it really doesn't.

Definition of coupe in Meriam Webster's dictionary:

a 2-door automobile often seating only two persons; also : one with a tight-spaced rear seat .

I guess the CLS definitely qualifies judging by that second meaning. :p Still, the definitions have to do with the number of doors, not how many it seats.

I know some people are reading this thread thinking who cares... honestly... I don't care myself. I was just bored so I started this thread.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by AMG2GO
It appears that the nomeclature worked because it really got your attention; he he