C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

CLS63 or M6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 366 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
First of all, the IWC edition is nothing but a paintjob and a premium, maybe a different colored tach. The car doesn't have a special tune or anything that will make it faster than a regular CLS55. Unless its modded, an M6 will walk it from 80mph on, that's been mulled over a million times already on this board, its been videotaped, documented, admitted, you name it, do a search.

Second of all, you want to compare the CLK63 to the M6, right? Both run from naught to 60 in 4.6 seconds, however we all know that the M5/M6 have horrible 0-60 times due in large part to their torque and hp curves. Unlike the "big boy" 63's, the CLK63 is DOWN on power compared to the E and CLS. It gives up 30 horses to a car that ALREADY has better gearing up top. Read the Edmunds article on the CLK63, they talk about how LONG the gearing in the car is, that is definitely not going to help against a car with significantly closer gearing and a 30 pony advantage.

Now do your due diligence and look further than this forum. Google search "M6 vs. CLK55", you won't find many, if any articles comparing the two, I tried. Type in "M6 vs. CLS55" and you'll get plenty of hits comparing the CLS to both the M5 AND the M6. Merc calls it a "4 door coupe" which pits it against BOTH M cars. The CLK is not in the same league, it was originally designed based on C-class architecture.

You can also find plenty of articles comparing the M6 to the SL55 as well, chew on that a bit. I found an article comparing the CLK55 to the 650i, but that's the ONLY comparison the largest search engine on the planet could come up with.

Mercs are supposed to out accelerate the BMW's in their class, thats their bread and butter, while BMW relies on handling. Read any article talking about the M6 and they call it a "formula 1 GT car." You will never hear anyone say that about a CLK.

You want to talk "Apples to Oranges" until you're blue in the face, but you can say that about any BMW vs. Mercedes comparison, they're two totally different carmakers with different agendas. The CLS created a new market niche but its PLACE IN THE HEIRARCHY puts it right next to the M6. EVERYBODY HERE KNOWS THIS.

Sorry if I bruised your ego, but the bottom line is you are truly biased and obviously haven't done your homework.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cntlaw
JLee

Thank you for sharing your extraorfinary experience with your IWC CLS55 in Korea. I am sure many like to hear more about street racings in South Korea. I have only been sitting inside an awsome IWC CLS55 in the HK IWC AMG road show, and its exclusiveness is hard to beat by any normal versions of luxury cars. Pity it is 380K here, hard to afford, or I would get it if it were 250K.

And yes, CNTLAW gives no fck to some who would be upset, and I repeat again,
" M6 will find a hole to hide in front of a CLS55 AMG IWC Edition.
cnt
p.s. photos I took in 2005:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...&highlight=IWC
hmmm....

This guy is simply hopeless!
Old 08-11-2006, 08:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 CLK55, IWC CLS55 AMG(one of 55), 07 Honda CR-V 4WD
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
First of all, the IWC edition is nothing but a paintjob and a premium, maybe a different colored tach. The car doesn't have a special tune or anything that will make it faster than a regular CLS55. Unless its modded, an M6 will walk it from 80mph on, that's been mulled over a million times already on this board, its been videotaped, documented, admitted, you name it, do a search.

Second of all, you want to compare the CLK63 to the M6, right? Both run from naught to 60 in 4.6 seconds, however we all know that the M5/M6 have horrible 0-60 times due in large part to their torque and hp curves. Unlike the "big boy" 63's, the CLK63 is DOWN on power compared to the E and CLS. It gives up 30 horses to a car that ALREADY has better gearing up top. Read the Edmunds article on the CLK63, they talk about how LONG the gearing in the car is, that is definitely not going to help against a car with significantly closer gearing and a 30 pony advantage.

Now do your due diligence and look further than this forum. Google search "M6 vs. CLK55", you won't find many, if any articles comparing the two, I tried. Type in "M6 vs. CLS55" and you'll get plenty of hits comparing the CLS to both the M5 AND the M6. Merc calls it a "4 door coupe" which pits it against BOTH M cars. The CLK is not in the same league, it was originally designed based on C-class architecture.

You can also find plenty of articles comparing the M6 to the SL55 as well, chew on that a bit. I found an article comparing the CLK55 to the 650i, but that's the ONLY comparison the largest search engine on the planet could come up with.

Mercs are supposed to out accelerate the BMW's in their class, thats their bread and butter, while BMW relies on handling. Read any article talking about the M6 and they call it a "formula 1 GT car." You will never hear anyone say that about a CLK.

You want to talk "Apples to Oranges" until you're blue in the face, but you can say that about any BMW vs. Mercedes comparison, they're two totally different carmakers with different agendas. The CLS created a new market niche but its PLACE IN THE HEIRARCHY puts it right next to the M6. EVERYBODY HERE KNOWS THIS.

Sorry if I bruised your ego, but the bottom line is you are truly biased and obviously haven't done your homework.
Ok.. You made it clear that this debate is absolutely pointless since all you are trying to do is to put someone down instead of presenting the backup sources to support your idea. I am not going to reply your post.

Well..CLS IWC may mean nothing to you because you are one of those who do not value special edition vehicles. But I do because I could afford such cars with my salary, which you wondered about in your last post.

My CLK55 is just a fine vehicle.. It is my daily commuting car. I love the way it drives and the size of the car. It may not be your choice but that does not mean that it is a inferior car to your godly M5.

You drive an M5 which is just one of plain M5s that BMW sells in most dealership.

MY CLS IWC is limited to 55 vehicles in the world. CLS is design opened a new segment in car market, a coupe sedan. And I like AMG and IWC dearly and that is an awesome combination to me. Don't you think it is meaningful? If you don't like watches and AMG.. then this vehicle is totally meaningless to you. I understand that.

Grow up a little bit more than think wise instead of acting like 15 year old boy who is only obsessed about the speed of the car. It is important but it is not everything certainly. I don't how you led the direction of this thread from CLS63 vs. M6 to CLK55 & CLS55 vs M5,M6. You think you drive a better vehicle? Are you trying to say what I have are slower than your M5 so they are all inferior to yours? Wake up man.

I would love you bash your M5 but I won't because it is just waste of my time. In fact, it is a good car. I would rather make more money during that time and prepare to buy one more vehicle for my collection. Next one is gonna be a real good one.

Lastly, CH, you completely failed to scar my ego, because what you said is totally opinionated, and for the most nonsense.
Keep trying.. you might accomplish it sometime.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 366 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by JLee81
Ok.. You made it clear that this debate is absolutely pointless since all you are trying to do is to put someone down instead of presenting the backup sources to support your idea. I am not going to reply your post.
Wrong, one of the first things I did was reference multiple articles which I found on a reputable search engine. Did you even read what I wrote?

Well..CLS IWC may mean nothing to you because you are one of those who do not value special edition vehicles. But I do because I could afford such cars with my salary, which you wondered about in your last post.
My Supra happens to be one of the rarest cars in America. There are 21 of them (Royal Sapphire Pearl 6 speed), and its actually the "Special Edition"

My CLK55 is just a fine vehicle.. It is my daily commuting car. I love the way it drives and the size of the car. It may not be your choice but that does not mean that it is a inferior car to your godly M5.
It is an inferior car to the M5, in every performance category imaginable.

You drive an M5 which is just one of plain M5s that BMW sells in most dealership.
There's a year long waiting list for these things, its no 325.

MY CLS IWC is limited to 55 vehicles in the world. CLS is design opened a new segment in car market, a coupe sedan. And I like AMG and IWC dearly and that is an awesome combination to me. Don't you think it is meaningful? If you don't like watches and AMG.. then this vehicle is totally meaningless to you. I understand that.
I love AMG, your point was that it was somehow better than every other AMG because its an IWC. Its not, it just costs more, and you were dumb enough to pay double what anyone else pays for them.

Grow up a little bit more than think wise instead of acting like 15 year old boy who is only obsessed about the speed of the car. It is important but it is not everything certainly. I don't how you led the direction of this thread from CLS63 vs. M6 to CLK55 & CLS55 vs M5,M6. You think you drive a better vehicle? Are you trying to say what I have are slower than your M5 so they are all inferior to yours? Wake up man. :
I mentioned speed in my last post maybe once, but only to counter your claims of speed. The reason why I bought my plain old M5 was because of its transmission and the way it handles. I have a 1,000hp car for going in straight lines and blurring the space-time continuom.

I would love you bash your M5 but I won't because it is just waste of my time. In fact, it is a good car. I would rather make more money during that time and prepare to buy one more vehicle for my collection. Next one is gonna be a real good one.
Abject arrogance. Please do bash my M5. We don't even know for real if you have an IWC. Bragging about your paycheck in this forum will probably only get you shat on. I know it will by me.

Lastly, CH, you completely failed to scar my ego, because what you said is totally opinionated, and for the most nonsense.
Obviously I did by the way you're scrambling to defend yourself and change the subject at the same time. Everything I said was clearly based on fact that other people in this thread vehemently agree with.

Now go ahead and respond even though you said you wouldn't.

Last edited by Cylinder Head; 08-11-2006 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:03 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Here she is (sorry for the poor picture quality, it was dusk and I suck with a camera)

Old 08-11-2006, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90

Grow up a little bit more than think wise instead of acting like 15 year old boy who is only obsessed about the speed of the car. It is important but it is not everything certainly. I don't how you led the direction of this thread from CLS63 vs. M6 to CLK55 & CLS55 vs M5,M6. You think you drive a better vehicle? Are you trying to say what I have are slower than your M5 so they are all inferior to yours? Wake up man.

JLee

Good day. I honestly could not help laughing when I read someone not even have a M6 is coming to a Benz forum educating a CLS55 IWC Edition owner that the car he has bought is 'overpaid' . and read on.

cnt

"the IWC edition is nothing but a paintjob and a premium, maybe a different colored tach. "

"I love AMG, your point was that it was somehow better than every other AMG because its an IWC. Its not, it just costs more, and you were dumb enough to pay double what anyone else pays for them."

"My Supra happens to be one of the rarest cars in America. There are 21 of them (Royal Sapphire Pearl 6 speed), and its actually the "Special Edition" "
Old 08-11-2006, 10:39 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
a few more pics

Old 08-11-2006, 10:55 PM

A160 CLASSIC (The Tardis), VW Passat Diesel
looks awesome chip love the carbon fibre roof.. what are your impressions so far?
Old 08-11-2006, 11:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 CLK55, IWC CLS55 AMG(one of 55), 07 Honda CR-V 4WD
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Wrong, one of the first things I did was reference multiple articles which I found on a reputable search engine. Did you even read what I wrote?

My Supra happens to be one of the rarest cars in America. There are 21 of them (Royal Sapphire Pearl 6 speed), and its actually the "Special Edition"

It is an inferior car to the M5, in every performance category imaginable.

There's a year long waiting list for these things, its no 325.

I love AMG, your point was that it was somehow better than every other AMG because its an IWC. Its not, it just costs more, and you were dumb enough to pay double what anyone else pays for them.

I mentioned speed in my last post maybe once, but only to counter your claims of speed. The reason why I bought my plain old M5 was because of its transmission and the way it handles. I have a 1,000hp car for going in straight lines and blurring the space-time continuom.

Abject arrogance. Please do bash my M5. We don't even know for real if you have an IWC. Bragging about your paycheck in this forum will probably only get you shat on. I know it will by me.

Obviously I did by the way you're scrambling to defend yourself and change the subject at the same time. Everything I said was clearly based on fact that other people in this thread vehemently agree with.

Now go ahead and respond even though you said you wouldn't.
Nice provoking man.. Don't post the pictures of your neighbor's garage.
The above sentence shows the same level of your mocking, ignorance and stupidity. So why don't you prove that they are yours?

Only 1 CLS 55 IWC was dispatched from DCAG and was sold in South Korea from the class hyosung(MB dealer in Korea) in March. And that's me and I recently had my time to pick up the IWC watch that came with my car from Richmond Korea and I took a picture with president of Richmond Korea so that Richmond HQ could confirm the process. Did you know it has to be done this way? What did you do when you bought your supra? Did they let you run along with it on a dyno until it reached 790rwhp? No matter what, it's rare and you value it in your own perspectives. I do the same with my cars.

You only talk about how special your cars are.. You are the one who's arrogant because you cannot stand that something could be better than yours. I have learned to accept that there are better cars out there since there are so many high performance cars inc. Ferrari FXX, Zonda F in Seoul.

Just live on, or come to South Korea and do the military work with me. You will make lots of money in a short period of time. You still wanna know my salary? Do you truly think that I don't own the car because of my current job? Let me make it more interesting. I am only 25 and graduated from Tufts last year and I have those cars fully paid. Are you still suspicious about something? There are more riches out there and I know. But a guy like you start accusing me for telling lies to the other members, that makes me upset. Also I am a moderator of MB forum in South Korea right now, some of the community members are in this forum i think. So I wish they could also back me up on this. Let me know I will answer your question anytime.

You don't have a MB or M6 and tries to make all CLS AMG owners feel bad about their cars by saying that M6 is superior. Go to that in your own house.

You are the one who did not read the article that I first suggested. You do speak english, right?^^;; So there goes how dumb you are. I told you to read that specific article before saying something like M6 will smoke CLK63.

I hope you take a picture of your garage and post it up. Ok?
You still did not a come back.. I will be waiting.

Last edited by JLee81; 08-11-2006 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:37 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by WishforE55
looks awesome chip love the carbon fibre roof.. what are your impressions so far?

It's great. Even though I can't hit the magic "M" button (or push the car very hard) until after the 1200 mile service it seems quick. It feels like a bigger more powerful M3.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by chiphomme
It's great. Even though I can't hit the magic "M" button (or push the car very hard) until after the 1200 mile service it seems quick. It feels like a bigger more powerful M3.
Congrats !
Old 08-12-2006, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Only 1 CLS 55 IWC was dispatched from DCAG and was sold in South Korea from the class hyosung(MB dealer in Korea) in March. And that's me and I recently had my time to pick up the IWC watch that came with my car from Richmond Korea and I took a picture with president of Richmond Korea so that Richmond HQ could confirm the process. ........

JLee,

No one can lie about a CLS55 IWC Edition with such details unless he were the owner! Congrats ! As it has to be very lucky and a special person under a very special occasion to get the 1 and only 1 CLS55 IWC allocation in Korea. You are a true car fanatic !

I had been working in Seoul for a year, Benz and BMW fanatics in South Korea , no doubt are just second to Japan. And, 260K was a very good deal plus the gift of a IWC AMG watch which is another 8K.

t
Old 08-12-2006, 01:13 AM

A160 CLASSIC (The Tardis), VW Passat Diesel
what is the silver item to the right of the gearshift?
Old 08-12-2006, 02:28 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by WishforE55
what is the silver item to the right of the gearshift?

A cupholder. Its the only lame feature in the car.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:02 PM

Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche, Aston Martin, Chevrolet
Cls63
Old 08-22-2006, 10:33 PM

'06 M6, '05 Lambo Gallardo
OK...If there is one thing I have it is ownership experience of the E55, CLS55, M5 and now the M6. They are all great cars with different strengths and weaknesses. My unemotional take is this...

The MB torque makes their cars feel quicker in "around town" driving.
The BMW overall performance is better. The relatively nimble feel is amazing for a big, heavy GT.
The BMW interior in pictures looks inferior and plain, but is actually much nicer than the MB after living with both.
iDrive blows...it is pretty much useless and is a pain in the ***. The rest of the car makes up for it.
Conversely, the MB interior is cluttered and MB lacks Bluetooth and Nav isn't standard, nor are Xenon lights....MB has lost sight of value.
The styling is subjective, but I prefer the M6 over the CLS (angle dependent). My car gets lots of positive nods.
The M6 lacks the option of a power trunk closer....WTF???
SMG is fine and can nail shifts as quickly as you could ever want. SMG (combined with lower torque) also can be frustrating if you don't downshift to the right gear.
The full leather in the M6 is simply gorgeous and makes the 107K pricetag seem worth it.
The CLS isn't much cheaper comparably equipped. (030 is needed to bridge the gap)
The BMW has a much sportier feel....but it is not a sports car. It is a GT.
The CLS is not any more luxurious then the M6. The M6 pampers the driver equally well.
The nano paint on the MB is a huge plus...every high end car should have this.
The switch gear has a superior feel in the BMW...downside = shared amongst the entire BMW line (turn signal lever for example)
MB's computer info system is horrible. I can never remember what section handles what functions. This is the iDrive advantage....easy to do vehicle setup.
The M steering wheel is thick and sporty and really adds to the experience...the MB wheel is thin and wimpy (but easily replaced...I did it 2x)
BMW offers HD radio...pretty cool feature.
BMW's full maintenance is a nice plus as well.
BMW's break-in period is too long and frustrating.
MB needs a hockey puck on the trunk link for sat radio...their overall technology is weak compared to BMW.

I may have left off some things, but I think this is a pretty comprehensive list of my opinions based on actual experience.

Neither the MB AMG or BMW M (in my opinion) does nearly enough to differentiate themselves from the standard issue cars. The M5 is the only one that is somewhat easy to distinguish. The others need a better look. I wish there was more visual distinction given the huge increase in the price. The performance alone is not enough.

There is no right or wrong decision...it all depends on what's important.

I would like to see an end to the luxo coupe/sedan comparisons to cars like the Gallardo. I am fortunate to have a Lambo and while the straight line acceleration is a coin toss, the game ends there. If my M6 is quicker from 60 - 100 I couldn't care less. The feel, handling and overall experience of a true exotic sports car is in a completely different league from the Ms and AMGs.

Hope this sheds some "neutral" light on the debate.

Last edited by jkrutch; 08-22-2006 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:46 AM

2002M3
Originally Posted by MikeHK
I pity this guy! After reading his numerous posts. I conclude this guy only judges cars ONLY based on its value and the status it brings.

And base on your logic, most mercedes would need to find a hole to hide everytime they run into those double decked buses in HK simply because the bus cost more?

I happened to be from Hong Kong, and I feel ashame of you.
Well said I'm also ashamed of him too for being such a clueless Cantonese in automobiles!
Old 11-02-2007, 01:20 AM

2015 CLA45 AMG, 2008 w204 - 97 W210
ok first of all congrats beautiful car,enjoy it, even though i prolly would have picked a different car.(by the way love the roof,enjoy the smg gearbox)
and to those who say M6 COMPETES with cls63 ! um wow how the hell did you come up with that! bmw is putting out a car to compete with the cls! so wait for it. CLK63 competes with the m6! thank you (they do compare the sl55 to it too sometimes since they are both on top of the list of both companies)
if you want to go by price range, then you cant, because MB is more expensive that BMW. since mercedes has sooo many engine options. and obviously is more luxury.
for example what car from bmw is competing with CL = NONE
CL competes with BENTLEY GT! there are no any bmw vehicles that compete with cl. SL competes with z8 which sadly z8 failed horribly even though its a very well engineered car. C63 competes with M3/ (c63 has been titled the m3 killer) and obviously e with 5
i just got the ML63 and hotdamn! what a car, the 4.8 x5 cant step up to it , you have to grab the porsche cayenne turbo S
damn im getting tired of typingg...anyways i hope you get the point

thank you chiphomme for starting this, and hope you enjoying your m6, my cousin is planning on buying one soon so please tell me what you think, he does own a m3 right now but getting sick of the stiff ride and very plain dead interior. so its either sl55 or m6, tell me what you think
Old 11-02-2007, 01:36 AM

2005 SL55 AMG
Here she is (sorry for the poor picture quality, it was dusk and I suck with a camera)

Nice M6!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 05:36 PM

06 CLS55 AMG-all options sans Distronic; Carrera4S; 07 M5;Lexus GS300
WOW!!!! truly unbelievable, all these comments and emotions and analysis re the dueling cars, when frankly it's so simple: just personal choice based upon analysis, likes/dislikes, situational analysis.

But hey, the person I want to thank most is cntlaw for the finest granular description of features and options for the 55. Cheers, cntlaw!

Drive on>>>>>>
Old 11-07-2007, 05:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
07 CLS63 | 06 SLK350
chutia: nice nick... lol.... good thing not that many desis on this board...

+1 on your post... i drove both back to back, and the M6 felt like a sportscar with the constant kicks in my back on every gear shift, whereas the CLS felt more like a luxurious sportscar that provided some cushioning while the gears changed...

its personal preference based on what you want... coming from a stick 350z, i had my share of racing around shifting hard etc, and now before i turn 30, need something easy on my back! lol

i went with the cls, moreso cause there aren't too many places in los angeles that I would ever get to use the 100mph+ features of the m6...
Old 11-07-2007, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
wannabuyane63, did you get your CLS yet? You better post some pictures soon......

Also, you may want to e-mail one of the Admins on this board and change your screen name to "Bought A CLS63"......
Old 11-07-2007, 06:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
07 CLS63 | 06 SLK350
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
wannabuyane63, did you get your CLS yet? You better post some pictures soon......

Also, you may want to e-mail one of the Admins on this board and change your screen name to "Bought A CLS63"......
i know! lol on my old forum i went from wannabuya350z to a more appropriate name, although I had to make a new account in that case...

picking her up friday will post proper pics sunday once i zaino her up...
Old 11-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Hey I had a super modded E55 and a CL65 and now I have an M6 and the 65. I drive one for 2 days and I love it and then once I swap over I love the other one too.

Both serve their purposes of driveability and comfort and I am sure you can figure out which is which. You have to really drive the M6 to get the most out of it and thats its beauty where the 65 is mash and go and just smile and be impressed.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:54 PM

You name it i've had it or got it...
I currently drive a CLS55 but have never really enjoyed the auto gear box. So I put a CLS63 on order (which is suppose to be delivered late Sept or early Oct.). In the mean time, though, I stumbled on a new black M6 that someone backed out of buying. I have to give the BMW dealer an answer in the morning as to whether I want the M6 or not. Would you wait for the CLS63 or take the M6?
if you don't like the tranny then get the m6..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLS63 or M6