C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

CLS63 or M6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Cayenne Turbo
CLS63 or M6

I currently drive a CLS55 but have never really enjoyed the auto gear box. So I put a CLS63 on order (which is suppose to be delivered late Sept or early Oct.). In the mean time, though, I stumbled on a new black M6 that someone backed out of buying. I have to give the BMW dealer an answer in the morning as to whether I want the M6 or not. Would you wait for the CLS63 or take the M6?
Old 08-04-2006, 12:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL
Originally Posted by chiphomme
I currently drive a CLS55 but have never really enjoyed the auto gear box. So I put a CLS63 on order (which is suppose to be delivered late Sept or early Oct.). In the mean time, though, I stumbled on a new black M6 that someone backed out of buying. I have to give the BMW dealer an answer in the morning as to whether I want the M6 or not. Would you wait for the CLS63 or take the M6?
CLS63 all the way... see what forum u re in...
Old 08-04-2006, 01:01 AM

CLS63 Silver/charcoal, RRS S/C stornoway grey/ebony
if you were happy with the 55, then keep it, not worth trading it and paying over 20k for something very similar. But if you want something more sporty and dont mind losing two doors go for the m6...are they selling it for MSRP?
Old 08-04-2006, 01:04 AM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by AMG_Power
if you were happy with the 55, then keep it, not worth trading it and paying over 20k for something very similar. But if you want something more sporty and dont mind losing two doors go for the m6...are they selling it for MSRP?

Yes it's at list ($102K and some change).
I went from an M3 to the CLS55 and have never liked the tranny. Is the CLS63s paddle shifting even close to the Bimmers SMG?
Old 08-04-2006, 01:15 AM

CLS63 Silver/charcoal, RRS S/C stornoway grey/ebony
if you have made your mind on trading your 55 for another car,,,,, then,,,mmmmmm,,,,,i hate to say it especially in this forum hehe,, go for the M6
becuase ure going to pay 20k more for the same car more or less, why dont get something different...the m6 is lovely, unique and extremely fast car
Old 08-04-2006, 01:17 AM

14 'E550
Is the CLS63s paddle shifting even close to the Bimmers SMG?
No, the MB is a 7spd Auto with paddle shifters.

The SMG is a clutchless manual, with an auto mode.

Different animals.

It makes no sense to switch from a 55 to a 63.

If you aren't happy with the 55, consider the M6.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:19 AM
Almost a Member!

more involved sporty driving = M6......after all you already had an CLS55....

Very powerful more comfort/luxury = CLS63
Old 08-04-2006, 03:27 AM

magLipVE
I say stick with the benz. if sport cars is what you're after, why not go with a 911. FAST AND HANDLES GREAT

remember, speed is nothing without control! how fun is it drag racing? think i rather be up in some mountain hitting the corners at neck braking speeds.

Last edited by spinsonic; 08-04-2006 at 03:29 AM.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:40 AM

2006 SLK55 AMG
the M5 and M6 have the same gear box and let me tell you, it sucks. I have no other way of describing it. When you downshift, it revs and then downshifts - thats cool, but shifting UP is very very rough, you can feel the gears switching... it's disgusting, as well as the gearshift itself being slow.

stick to your cls55. you're already at 470 HP, mod it and you'll be at 550 more than the 6.3 L engine, plus u have a supercharger, torque!
Old 08-04-2006, 06:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
I drove the M6 and too wasn't all that impressed with the SMG gearbox. Compared to my SL55 that is. But I wouldn't say it sucks. I guess it depends on what you expect 'cause the 5 speed auto gearbox of the CLS55 that you don't like is (in my SL55) just lovely for me. So I guess this one comes down to taste more than any other thing. Why don't you drive the M6 to check it out? It is the only BMW that actually looks nice (IMO guys) and mean. So I would completely understand why someone would take an M6 over a CLS AMG.

It just needs some lowering that's all
Attached Thumbnails CLS63 or M6-06052-0524-0006.jpg   CLS63 or M6-06052-0524-0029.jpg   CLS63 or M6-06052-0524-0040.jpg  
Old 08-04-2006, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 559 Likes on 369 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
As in other threads on this board, the only people who knock the SMG are people who have never lived with the tranny. It can be as smooth as you want it to be with some practice.

I adore my M5 and the main reason is the transmission, its the best I've ever had, and the closest thing to a stick without a clutch that you can get. If given the choice I'd never go back to manual again. If the transmission is your main problem with the 55, and you don't mind losing some torque (obviously you don't if your other choice is a 63), I'd highly recommend the M6. Its an unreal GT and its strengths are the 55's weaknesses. Brake feel is perfect, the handling is responsive, and I can't gush enough about the SMG, its just amazing. Even on a mercedes forum, you see many of the guys in this thread are telling you the same thing I am, while others who've only maybe driven the car once are telling you they "hate" the SMG, yet they're happy with the same slushbox auto that you're unhappy with. Think it over, its worth a shot.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:36 AM

2006 SLK55 AMG
don't get me wrong, the M6 is gorgeous! I love the look, yet I'd stick to a CLS55 if I had one. I'd mod my car if I had one... I'm a little disappointed with the sound and feel of the V10 in the M5/M6. I can feel more torque in my SLk55 than in my friends M5.... If you want to get a new car, get an SL55... fast and hard top convertible ! The m6 doesnt even have that... but in the end its about what you want mate!
Old 08-04-2006, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
If you can spring for 102K you can probably spring for 120K? TT!! Seriously, if you don't like the 55 then I wouldn't get the 63. Would you rather have an apple or an orange?
Old 08-04-2006, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by nishi
the M5 and M6 have the same gear box and let me tell you, it sucks. I have no other way of describing it. When you downshift, it revs and then downshifts - thats cool, but shifting UP is very very rough, you can feel the gears switching... it's disgusting, as well as the gearshift itself being slow.

stick to your cls55. you're already at 470 HP, mod it and you'll be at 550 more than the 6.3 L engine, plus u have a supercharger, torque!
God, I feel like one of the M5Board guys - "what were you're settings"? I've driven an M5 and the SMG is outrageous.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:22 AM

CLS55
If the guy said he owned a ///M3 and implied that it had smg.... and went to the mbz auto and wasn't happy.... how can anyone here say he should stay w/ mbz over the ///M6 which would be the most similar to the car he preferred? He should buy the M6 today.

(i'll keep my cls55)
Old 08-04-2006, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dogshine
If the guy said he owned a ///M3 and implied that it had smg.... and went to the mbz auto and wasn't happy.... how can anyone here say he should stay w/ mbz over the ///M6 which would be the most similar to the car he preferred? He should buy the M6 today.

(i'll keep my cls55)

The SMG in the M5/6 is a vast improvement over the M3's SMG, and it cannot and should not be compared to the autobox in the '63s. No comparison there.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:18 AM

M5/m6

I owned an M5 for about 2 months and absolutely hated it!!! I can't say enough bad about the car as I couldn't wait to get rid of it. The funny this is that I had an M3 prior to that, which I really liked. The main reasons for ditching the car were: 1)about 180 miles to a tank of fuel, 2)iDrive is pathetic, and 3)SMG 3 is not very good and worse than SMG2. I don't understand how this car gets rated as highly as it does - I would rank it as one of the worst I've owned out of a 996, 996TT, Maserati, M3, and now an SL550.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:31 PM

CLS55, 335i, A6, Prius
Friday evening before dinner in London town and here's my 2 cents...I've pretty much own most of the cars all of you are either talking about or are referring to in this post (not to mention a Vanquish S, much better than M6 hands down, anytime, anywhere...and the exhaust, not even close) - and here's the nutcracker: two sides to every penny.

Firstly, it's personal. What do you like? Big, huge, heavy two doors that pretend to be sporting gts? M6? Even worse, a big 4-door pretending to be a big 2-door sporting GT? Very personal. You'll never drive to that car's limits anyhow, you'll hit your limits and crash before that...but..if you truly want to feel seat of the pants driving in an automobile designed to do so...? F355 Comp/F360 Stradale/F430 Stradale/Porsche GT3/Porsche GT2..maybe?

Secondly, these cars are not, and I repeat, are not true sports cars...they are luxury cars with big motors and big brakes and fancy air suspensions, etc..So, to feel the true sports car, refer to above list...

Oh, and there's only one manual (stick shift) tranny...and that's a manual (stick shift) tranny...sequential is fine, but only if you are shifting, and therefore, in control. Shifts when you shift, not when you suggest, eh?

Having said all this, I do not regret getting rid of my M6 (too much like driving something that's pretending to be Vanquish), handing down the 645Ci to my nephew, and giving my lawyer free reign of the M5. I love my luxo cruiser CLS55 and Vanquish S, and for sporting Saturdays at the track, my TT and GT2. I am actively searching for that perfect GT3 for even more fun. My wife only wants the Volvo S60R because she says it is the "safest" of all. And that's what it all boils down to. Whatever you feel like mate, just do the deed and smile, either way, you're miles ahead of alot of folks.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:13 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by acv999
Friday evening before dinner in London town and here's my 2 cents...I've pretty much own most of the cars all of you are either talking about or are referring to in this post (not to mention a Vanquish S, much better than M6 hands down, anytime, anywhere...and the exhaust, not even close) - and here's the nutcracker: two sides to every penny.

Firstly, it's personal. What do you like? Big, huge, heavy two doors that pretend to be sporting gts? M6? Even worse, a big 4-door pretending to be a big 2-door sporting GT? Very personal. You'll never drive to that car's limits anyhow, you'll hit your limits and crash before that...but..if you truly want to feel seat of the pants driving in an automobile designed to do so...? F355 Comp/F360 Stradale/F430 Stradale/Porsche GT3/Porsche GT2..maybe?

Secondly, these cars are not, and I repeat, are not true sports cars...they are luxury cars with big motors and big brakes and fancy air suspensions, etc..So, to feel the true sports car, refer to above list...

Oh, and there's only one manual (stick shift) tranny...and that's a manual (stick shift) tranny...sequential is fine, but only if you are shifting, and therefore, in control. Shifts when you shift, not when you suggest, eh?

Having said all this, I do not regret getting rid of my M6 (too much like driving something that's pretending to be Vanquish), handing down the 645Ci to my nephew, and giving my lawyer free reign of the M5. I love my luxo cruiser CLS55 and Vanquish S, and for sporting Saturdays at the track, my TT and GT2. I am actively searching for that perfect GT3 for even more fun. My wife only wants the Volvo S60R because she says it is the "safest" of all. And that's what it all boils down to. Whatever you feel like mate, just do the deed and smile, either way, you're miles ahead of alot of folks.

I appreciate the advice but your pockets are a lot deeper than mine.
This will be my one and only car. So basically the car has to be a compromise between performance and practicality.
I really enjoyed the 2004 M3 w/SMG I sold to buy the CLS 55 but it was too small and at the end of its product life.
The CLS55 has seemed underwhelming to me (and I've put 16000 miles on it).
Its beautiful, has loads of power and exhaust note is second to none but its boring to drive.
So when I stumbled on this M6 I thought that it would be the perfectly balanced car for me.

BTW, I ordered the M6 this morning.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by acv999

Clay J?
Old 08-04-2006, 01:46 PM

i drive an ///M6
i would go for the M6-- that will hopefully be in the future for me as well(or at least a 650i) -- anyway, if you live in Fargo, how can any of these cars be your only driver??
Old 08-04-2006, 01:50 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by ICEAMG
i would go for the M6-- that will hopefully be in the future for me as well(or at least a 650i) -- anyway, if you live in Fargo, how can any of these cars be your only driver??

I have managed to find winter wheel sets for the M3 and the CLS55. They're not great in the snow but they work.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good call on the M6!

Did ClayJ get a new forum name? Seems awfully fishy. Where's your Veyron?
Old 08-04-2006, 11:45 PM
Almost a Member!

I appreciate the advice but your pockets are a lot deeper than mine.
This will be my one and only car. So basically the car has to be a compromise between performance and practicality.
I really enjoyed the 2004 M3 w/SMG I sold to buy the CLS 55 but it was too small and at the end of its product life.
The CLS55 has seemed underwhelming to me (and I've put 16000 miles on it).
Its beautiful, has loads of power and exhaust note is second to none but its boring to drive.
So when I stumbled on this M6 I thought that it would be the perfectly balanced car for me.

BTW, I ordered the M6 this morning.
Congratulations on the M6 !

based on your comments you picked the right car.....I am the first on the list for a CLS63.....and after driving the CLS55 recently....I am am now SURE it is an M car I want...so I ordered the M5 2007...can't wait.... (by the way I had a 2004 E55 before)....The point is : The CLS AMG is a very nice powerful luxury car....It will never have the direct feel of the M cars and their raw viceral high rev power (SMG very smooth and fast when you are going fast: S5 mode)....

your choice matches what you are seeking.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 G550. 2018 AMG GT roadster
A bit off topic but

I heard from a buddy in Atlanta that BMW is abandoning the 6 series. Really????

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLS63 or M6