C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Trying to restore my faith in Mercedes...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Z06
Trying to restore my faith in Mercedes...

Well, tomorrow I am going to test drive a Alabaster white on black CLS63 that my dealership just received. I previously, this year, had a 2005 E55 and just too many problems with it to keep. So, I now have a 2007 Z06 which by this time next week will probably be gone (99% sure). Anyway, for people who have the CLS63, how are you liking it? This car must be kept for the next 2 years, so I am asking, how do you think it's going to hold up (mechanically). I know, I know, I'll have a warranty, but going in and out of the shop constantly is a pain in the *** when the car is your daily driver. Also, how's the handling/brakes/ride and how fast are the shifts compared the trans that was in my E55 for those who may know? Anyway, all opinions welcome.

Matthew Haynes

PS- Gay question, but, does it have rev-matched downshifting now? (the blip like the M5/6?)
Old 09-22-2006, 01:00 AM
Almost a Member!

i dont know about the cls63 but i have a cls55 that i bought in february and i have just over 5,000 miles on it...and i have had nothing but problems...in the 5,000 miles i have had broken rocker panels...a broken radio that would never turn on along with the navigation...my parktronic was beeping on the highway and when i brought it in to mercedes they "fixed it" by shutting it off completely so now i have no parktronic...my sunroof does not close all the time...and the ride pulls to the right and its not the wheels because i have gone threw 2 different sets... this is me personal and it might be my car but the service isnt great for me and i am extremely unhappy. i am actually trying to inquire about a lemon law and i would appreciate if anyone has information on it. ill say it again there might be people on this board that love their car and the service and there might be others in my boat...but you have to understand its basically luck on your car.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:02 AM

CLS63 Silver/charcoal, RRS S/C stornoway grey/ebony
[QUOTE=MHaynes772;1764462]Well, tomorrow I am going to test drive a Alabaster white on black CLS63 that my dealership just received. I previously, this year, had a 2005 E55 and just too many problems with it to keep. So, I now have a 2007 Z06 which by this time next week will probably be gone (99% sure). Anyway, for people who have the CLS63, how are you liking it? This car must be kept for the next 2 years, so I am asking, how do you think it's going to hold up (mechanically). I know, I know, I'll have a warranty, but going in and out of the shop constantly is a pain in the *** when the car is your daily driver. Also, how's the handling/brakes/ride and how fast are the shifts compared the trans that was in my E55 for those who may know? Anyway, all opinions welcome.

Matthew Haynes

Handling/brakes/ride & power are all excellent...so far of course!!
I purchased my CLS63 only 3 weeks ago...I have owned a couple of mercedes cars in the past, and honestly they have some serious reliability issues, the E class being the worst!! Personnally i predict you will be seeing the dealer a couple of times during the 2yrs you intend to keep the car. But if you love this car, like i do, i wouldn't mind taking it to the dealer a couple of times a year,, better than driving a stupid lexus and feel bored for the whole time lol !!
Old 09-22-2006, 08:45 AM
MHK

MB S63 AMG Coupe
My CLS63 is my second CLS (500 was the first). Aside from filling up the 63 with bad gas on one occassion which caused engine hesitation (we know it was the gas because after we removed it and refilled, the car was fine), the car has been great. I also had no mechanical issues with my previous CLS.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
After 3 years of ownership - 2 with and E55 and now one with a CLS55 I have not had any issues apart from the E55 safety recall on the brakes two years ago.

I have driven the E63 at its limit at two AMG Challenge days this year, and I was very impressed with both the power and the gearbox - the shifting paddles are an improvement on the buttons. The handling is also more precise than my 2004 E55.

The 63 definitely does not have the grunt of the 55, but it certainly feels stronger as the speeds pick up. I have been watching the E63 forum dicussion on the "missing power" in the 63 engines with interest. I dont believe a sample set of two is sufficent to get the wild guessing going, but everyone has their opinion as speculative as they might be.

As I say I felt that the 63 was at least as fast as my 55 at high speed, if not faster - but there is no way that the 63 will stay with the 55 from a dig. As to whether it is making 500 odd crank HP is another debate, and as the weather gets cooler and more of them show up to the drag strips we will start to see ET's and trap speeds more in line with the quoted power.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:07 PM

2008 Z06
Faith restored!!!!....I bought the CLS63 Alabaster White on Ash interior today. Has P2 package and trunk closer. Love it. Pics coming soon...
Old 09-22-2006, 08:12 PM
MHK

MB S63 AMG Coupe
Congrats! Your going to love it!
Old 09-23-2006, 11:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Originally Posted by isorryi
i am actually trying to inquire about a lemon law and i would appreciate if anyone has information on it. ill say it again there might be people on this board that love their car and the service and there might be others in my boat...but you have to understand its basically luck on your car.
Well, merc is apparently more reluctant to make repeat-buyers happy and give them a new vehicle, so they are more likely to drag out the lemon law process than Porsche or BMW have historically been. So says my lawyer, and with my experience so far, I am getting increasingly ticked off at them as a whole. If you want any feedback, feel free to PM me.