C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Test drove the S6 and the CLS550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test drove the S6 and the CLS550

These cars are in a similar price range (S6 slightly more).

Both cars are unbelievably quick. The S6 delivery seems instantaneous and linear (probably due to much higher torque and AWD) whereas the CLS has a slight downshift hesitation and then swoosh.

I was a lot more impressed with the CLS than I expected to be. It handles well although slightly tilted towards luxury. On WOT throttle from a stop you cannot launch it without traction control kicking in. For city driving, I can't imagine what a CLS63 would be like with only two wheels driving.

The S6 is a monster. The engine sound is amazing - true exotic sound. Exterior styling is not as nice but interior is more impressive. It feels more like a cockpit but still luxurious. (Whereas CLS is pure luxury on the inside). Handling was more like a true sports sedan and the car is point and shoot. The salesman had me park with two right wheels on gravel and two left wheels on pavement. Launched at WOT and the car took off like a rocket.

Two different philosophies, two fantastic cars. The Mercedes gets the nod for external wow factor. the S6 shows up as a sleeper (neither good nor bad).

If I did more highway driving I suppose a CLS55 gently used would make a lot of sense, but most of my driving is in the city.

So I'm still having two debates :

1. style vs substance (Mercedes vs Audi)
2. A6 4.2/CLS500 vs S6/CLS55 -> extra money, worse fuel economy, better for ego
Old 12-05-2006, 08:34 AM

did you get a chance to test drive the S6? Jeremy Clarkson gave it 2 thumbs down
Old 12-05-2006, 09:00 AM

I did indeed drive it and I also read Jermey Clarkson's review.

His complaints seem to be relative to his high expectations of the car. Specifically :

1. "Only" 435 hp out of a 5.2 V10 -> counterpoint, engine was retuned for more torque which makes day to day driving more useful. M5 in contrast has to be driven like it was stolen.

2. Ride too firm -> I drove it, defiantely firm as opposed to comfortable, but not in an annoying way. Mind you it was a short drive, on long drives maybe a different story?

3. Tranny too lurchy in first gear -> I like that! And there is an S mode and regular mode, maybe Jeremy missed the switch?

It's not a perfect car, but no car is. Real question for me is whether it's worth $20k over the 4.2 Sline....hard to say.

Last edited by HemantS; 12-05-2006 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Your decision should be based on car usage..City driving? I would lean towards 55. Off road, dirt, snow,rain, twisty roads, likely the audi. My Allroad tears it up but does much better off the pavement. The CLS looks alot better IMO, likely a bit less practical
Old 12-05-2006, 11:09 AM

06 CLS55 AMG & 08 CL65 Mystic White
Most of my driving is done in the City and I love driving the 55 around town.

Have you test driven one yet?
Old 12-05-2006, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
Originally Posted by HemantS
These cars are in a similar price range (S6 slightly more).

Both cars are unbelievably quick. The S6 delivery seems instantaneous and linear (probably due to much higher torque and AWD) whereas the CLS has a slight downshift hesitation and then swoosh.

I was a lot more impressed with the CLS than I expected to be. It handles well although slightly tilted towards luxury. On WOT throttle from a stop you cannot launch it without traction control kicking in. For city driving, I can't imagine what a CLS63 would be like with only two wheels driving.

The S6 is a monster. The engine sound is amazing - true exotic sound. Exterior styling is not as nice but interior is more impressive. It feels more like a cockpit but still luxurious. (Whereas CLS is pure luxury on the inside). Handling was more like a true sports sedan and the car is point and shoot. The salesman had me park with two right wheels on gravel and two left wheels on pavement. Launched at WOT and the car took off like a rocket.

Two different philosophies, two fantastic cars. The Mercedes gets the nod for external wow factor. the S6 shows up as a sleeper (neither good nor bad).

If I did more highway driving I suppose a CLS55 gently used would make a lot of sense, but most of my driving is in the city.

So I'm still having two debates :

1. style vs substance (Mercedes vs Audi)
2. A6 4.2/CLS500 vs S6/CLS55 -> extra money, worse fuel economy, better for ego
CLS550 with the sprint booster will get rid of that hesitation......
Old 12-05-2006, 03:12 PM

CLS 550 Black AMG pkg. E55 Platinum Blue Monte Carlo Blue Acura NSX-T Desert SilverBMW 650
Originally Posted by x-tian-230k
CLS550 with the sprint booster will get rid of that hesitation......
Sprint booster??
Old 12-05-2006, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
Yep do a search.... People swear by it....