C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Test Drove CLS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63 AMG
Test Drove CLS

I had a chance to test drive the E63 and the CLS63(second time).
I took the E63 out with the salesperson. Great improvement over my current E55. It actually felt really really fast. Suspension was awsome compared to mine.

Then I got to drive the CLS63 by myself. It had all the plastics and protective covers all over it inside and outside. Obviously nobody had driven it.
I placed the car in S mode and gear 1. Floored it and and nothing. The car didn't go at all. Very Very slow. After 2.5K rpm, the thing took off.
2. Stopped the car and did it again. This time, better, but still very very slow.
3. Brake torque and then floored it. Still slow, but better.
4. Brake torque and then floored it. About the same.
5. Just floored it. Better.
6. Just floored it. Better.

Each time it got better, of course nothing like my E55 from a stop.
One thing I noticed, everytime it got to arounnd 5K, the ESP would start going crazy because the upper power band was so strong. That was really cool.

The E63 felt better from a dead stop with 1 salesperson. The CLS63 also felt faster last time I drove it with a salesperson. So this time, I am going to chock it up to a brand new car that hasn't been prepped and has been sitting outside for quite some time. The car is a beast once it gets going. It does have lots of torque for spirited city driving and the power at 5K rpm; to be able to spin at 5K rpm with 285 in the back is pretty crazy.

I will decide in the next 2 weeks whether to place my order or not.
Just wanted to share my experience.

amgbg
Old 01-01-2007, 05:26 PM

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts
2021 E63S Wagon 2019 S63 AMG Coupé 2015 S Coupé Edition 1 1970 Chevelle LS5
Whoa!. sure hope I am not the person buying this car after your test drive.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
So much for the break in
Old 01-01-2007, 07:06 PM

CLS63 AMG
I am sure the engines are broken in quite well before they leave the factory. In fact, that is what the AMG reps said awhile back. With that said, I didn't pass 63 mph in any run and before I got back to the dealership, I ran is very slow for 5 minutes going around 35 mph back to the store.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
The car was very definitely not prep'd. WOT in my car means look out there's going to be a rocket launch . Go back and test one that has been preped properly. Also I wouldn't floor it all the way, the drive by wire kills all mercs when you do that, go about 75%, then go all the way.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:15 PM

CLS63 AMG
trezaei,

You made a very interesing comment. When I drove the E63, I did the 80% throttle then floored it and it did seem to go way faster.
That might the trick.
Have you every tried brake torque launch? Does that help at all?

amgBG
Old 01-01-2007, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by vmspionage
So much for the break in
There is a school of thought that says hammering the car during break in makes it faster overall.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by amgbg
I had a chance to test drive the E63 and the CLS63(second time).
I took the E63 out with the salesperson. Great improvement over my current E55. It actually felt really really fast. Suspension was awsome compared to mine.

Then I got to drive the CLS63 by myself. It had all the plastics and protective covers all over it inside and outside. Obviously nobody had driven it.
I placed the car in S mode and gear 1. Floored it and and nothing. The car didn't go at all. Very Very slow. After 2.5K rpm, the thing took off.
2. Stopped the car and did it again. This time, better, but still very very slow.
3. Brake torque and then floored it. Still slow, but better.
4. Brake torque and then floored it. About the same.
5. Just floored it. Better.
6. Just floored it. Better.

Each time it got better, of course nothing like my E55 from a stop.
One thing I noticed, everytime it got to arounnd 5K, the ESP would start going crazy because the upper power band was so strong. That was really cool.

The E63 felt better from a dead stop with 1 salesperson. The CLS63 also felt faster last time I drove it with a salesperson. So this time, I am going to chock it up to a brand new car that hasn't been prepped and has been sitting outside for quite some time. The car is a beast once it gets going. It does have lots of torque for spirited city driving and the power at 5K rpm; to be able to spin at 5K rpm with 285 in the back is pretty crazy.

I will decide in the next 2 weeks whether to place my order or not.
Just wanted to share my experience.

amgbg
I have not tried the E63 but my CLS 63 is every bit as quick as my 03 E55 was and kills it in braking and handling. This car is so smooth at high speed I wonder sometimes if it is off.. I think the 63 engine definately needs training, unlike the brutal power the 55 offers the 63 seems tricky and wide ranging in available power. The car will actually be faster if you mash from a roll. starting in M1 and using the paddles according to most folks here is the fastest 0-60 one can attain under 4 seconds seems to happen alot. I have done 4.2-4.3 everytime I have 733 miles
Old 01-02-2007, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
There is a school of thought that says hammering the car during break in makes it faster overall.
I actually subscribe to the same school of thought. It is definitely true with my motorcycle. In fact they tell you to damn near redline it within the first few thousand miles so you can make sure it's race ready. I read a bunch of articles on it too saying the same thing.

I just hope the car gets a little louder cause as it stands it's kinda quite for my taste and I don't like doing mods to perfect cars so ...
Old 01-03-2007, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 cls 63 030
The 63 cars have detailed break in requirements due to the 7 speed transmission, not the engine. All AMG engines are broken in prior to delivery, the same is not true of the tranny. I was at the dealership with my mom a month before my car was delivered to take pick up her 07 s65. The same salesman who would one month later warn me at length about the break in of my cls 63 was also quite clear with her to not worry about breaking in the car and feel free to mash the pedal at will early. Clearly the 7 speed needs to be prepped, and from what I have seen in my 63, the car is growing more ***** as I get more miles. 800 miles and now the car is shifting down two gears one the highway when asked instead of the down, lug, down shifts it was previously doing. Long story short, when a car has a clear sticker in the upper corner of the windshield telling you how to break in a car, I would listen....it is for a reason. And secondly, I am glad I ordered my car direct and only had 23 miles on it when I got it after hearing stories of amg's taking test drivers such as yourself.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:20 AM

2006 CLS55, Barolo Red
The break-in recommendations for the CLS63 are identical to that of the
CLS55.