Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
This car just saved me $100K

Well not exactly but probably close.
I was driving admittedly fast today. Completely my fault. Especially after this lady in a S55 gave me a thumbs up this morning.

I was hauling *** down the street near my office and I noticed the truck ahead of me slowing down to take a right turn (800 ft).
So I figured by the time I get to him he'll have cleared the intersection and didn't slow down.
At about 400 feet I saw that he's waiting for pedestrian to cross and the panic set in. I was going around 75.
So Naturally ( ) I sped up to change lanes, but immediately noticed there is a car right on my left and I was blocked.
Now I'm going 80 with what seemed like less than 100 ft. By the time I looked back the rear bumper of the truck looked awfully close.
I slammed on the brake and downshifted as fast as I could,
Everything in the car ended up in the front foot well and my eyes felt like they were going to come out of the sockets.

I can tell you that in almost any other car they would be calling my emergency contacts right now and that $100K would be nothing compared to the medical bills.

These brakes are amazing!!!
Old 02-21-2007, 04:39 PM

CLS500
Originally Posted by trezaei
I was driving admittedly fast today. Completely my fault. Especially after this lady in a S55 gave me a thumbs up this morning.

I was hauling *** down the street near my office and I noticed the truck ahead of me slowing down to take a right turn (800 ft).
So I figured by the time I get to him he'll have cleared the intersection and didn't slow down.
At about 400 feet I saw that he's waiting for pedestrian to cross and the panic set in. I was going around 75.
So Naturally ( ) I sped up to change lanes, but immediately noticed there is a car right on my left and I was blocked.
Now I'm going 80 with what seemed like less than 100 ft. By the time I looked back the rear bumper of the truck looked awfully close.
Everything in the car ended up in the front foot well and my eyes felt like they were going to come out of the sockets.

I can tell you that in almost any other car they would be calling my emergency contacts right now and that $100K would be nothing compared to the medical bills.

You definitely have to be extra careful when speeding!! That could have been really bad...not only for you but some other innocent soul as well.

Have fun but drive safe!
Old 02-21-2007, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 G550. 2018 AMG GT roadster
Expanding CLS

Is what the truck driver saw in the rear view.......
Old 02-21-2007, 06:32 PM

Don't have a Mercedes right now...
Originally Posted by trezaei

The braking distance from 60-0 in your car should be around 115-120ft (which is really good for a saloon). It probably felt like but if you were doing 80mph and try to brake from 100ft I am sorry to say but you were not going to make it! In addition to that you are not doing anything useful other than abusing your transmission by downshifting while braking. The brakes are carefully dsigned to give you optimum braking based on the weight distribution on the wheels, usually ~70% of the braking force comes from the front brakes and ~30% from the rear. By downshifting while hard braking it may cause the rear tires to lock momentarily. This reduces traction and thus increases your braking distance. It used to be for the old cars (with drum brakes on the back which were most of the times worned out) that by downshifting it would actually help a little bit for for a car like yours I don't think so.

Brakes on all AMG's are very good (C43/C32's brake about 112-115ft bacause of less weight), last year I was in a situation driving in the city doing regular speed ~45mph where 3 SUV's crashed on each other in front of me and my car stopped with about 5-6 feet before the last car. That's why I never complain if there is a little bit of sqeel, high performance brakes are supposed to do that a little bit.

Last edited by kchristos; 02-21-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kchristos
The braking distance from 60-0 in your car should be around 115-120ft (which is really good for a saloon). It probably felt like but if you were doing 80mph and try to brake from 100ft I am sorry to say but you were not going to make it! In addition to that you are not doing anything useful other than abusing your transmission by downshifting while braking. The brakes are carefully dsigned to give you optimum braking based on the weight distribution on the wheels, usually ~70% of the braking force comes from the front brakes and ~30% from the rear. By downshifting while hard braking it may cause the rear tires to lock momentarily. This reduces traction and thus increases your braking distance. It used to be for the old cars (with drum brakes on the back which were most of the times worned out) that by downshifting it would actually help a little bit for for a car like yours I don't think so.

Brakes on all AMG's are very good (C43/C32's brake about 112-115ft bacause of less weight), last year I was in a situation driving in the city doing regular speed ~45mph where 3 SUV's crashed on each other in front of me and my car stopped with about 5-6 feet before the last car. That's why I never complain if there is a little bit of sqeel, high performance brakes are supposed to do that a little bit.
I'll take your word for all that K. Hard to gauge distance when you're ... It may very well have been 150 ft, but whatever it was it seemed like a VERY short distance. I mean I could easily get my sand wedge to hit that far

I am sure I'll need new brakes ever 10K miles the way I've been driving this thing, gotta slow down. And the Sprintbooster doesn't help things any.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:02 PM

Don't have a Mercedes right now...
Enjoy your car man, CLS63 wasn't available but the E63 was the best car we drove at the AMG Challenge in Florida. Those cars are meant to be driven fast, just be careful. In my opinion, when spending the money to buy a car like that the expense of the brakes is minimal compared to not enjoying its power.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:08 AM

CLS55 AMG
would the 63 have stopped even quicker if it had SBC???

Last edited by 0700700; 02-25-2007 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:13 PM

CLS55 06 (K4, LSD), Range Rover Sport 06, Bentley Flying Spur 07
You're lucky you didn't get to check out the airbags on that baby!!!
Old 02-27-2007, 12:43 AM

thats why you need to always know who is around you, what they are doing, and how they are doing it when you are speeding or driving aggressively.

When you drive fast, you need to drive for yourself, AND for everyone else around you.
You need to know what they are going to do while they are still thinking about it ...

Good luck, and good save today.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mrdredd
thats why you need to always know who is around you, what they are doing, and how they are doing it when you are speeding or driving aggressively.

When you drive fast, you need to drive for yourself, AND for everyone else around you.
You need to know what they are going to do while they are still thinking about it ...

Good luck, and good save today.
yeah man, true that, no one knows that better than me, riding on a motorcycle those are words to live and die by. You always have to count on everyone on the road doing exactly the opposite of what you expect.