C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Bentley GT ??? Advise Please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
:)
Bentley GT ??? Advise Please

My Wife Is Planning On Getting Rid Her 07 M5, She's Been Looking At Pre-owned Bentley Gt. Do Anyone Have Any Opinions Or Experience With That Car? I Dont Know Anyone With A Gt. Please Advise !!!!

What Type Of Problem Do People Usually Have With The Gt?
Is The W-12 High Maintance?
Old 10-19-2007, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
What does a pre-owned GT go for these days anyway?
Old 10-19-2007, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
my friend has a Bentley...owners are generally price incentive wealthy people. if you think resale's bad for MB or BMW, imagine what a rebadged VW's resale might be, LOL.
hearing the high end of market suddenly dropped the past 2 months due to economy. in fact, heard that recently a 2007 Rolls Royce Phantom, 2k miles, $380k MRSP...was trying hard to get $240k at auction.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:29 PM

yeah i understand the bad resell, thats why i am looking at pre-owned.
we been looking around at 05 and 06 with approx 5k miles, price tag is around $119k.

not bad if you compare the M5 we purchase for her at 98k to a Bentley GT. w-12 !!! haha.. actually i think she will drive the CLS 55 and i will drive the GT. haha..
Old 10-23-2007, 09:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Silver CLS550, Blk M45, Lexus GX470 & an endless fleet of Avis Premium Rental Cars
Originally Posted by newguycls55
My Wife Is Planning On Getting Rid Her 07 M5, She's Been Looking At Pre-owned Bentley Gt. Do Anyone Have Any Opinions Or Experience With That Car? I Dont Know Anyone With A Gt. Please Advise !!!!

What Type Of Problem Do People Usually Have With The Gt?
Is The W-12 High Maintance?
I have a friend who has one. Very heavy car and it eats breaks. Make sure your wife isn't a break rider. Other than that the car is solid, almost like a Nissan Frontier Truck in my opinion. I do not see this car as a daily driver. Save it for Friday nights, Saturday afternoons and maybe a Sunday morning paper run.

This car for your wife will be like a nice pair of Prada hi-hill shoes that hurt her feat. She will be running back to target for those comfortable pair of flat walking shoes.

I did witness a GT getting hoisted up on a flat bed one summer afternoon next to my job. Repo, Dead battery, not sure. I wish I knew the details

http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/ben...ontinental_gt/

Last edited by CakeDaddy; 10-23-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Almost a Member!

2008 CL63, 2008 S63, 2008 ML 63, 2008 S65
i had one for two months, i put 2,000 miles on it and sold it and went right back to a benz..... its great because its all wheel drive and powerful but every1 has one its the most played out car.... i could count more GTs and Flying Spurs on the road then any other high end car.... there are a lot of other choices out there make sure she looks around befor buying it...

Old 10-23-2007, 10:34 AM

CLS55
man that car looks cool. i love it. is it as reliable as our 55's?
Old 10-23-2007, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 246 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by bzliteyear
my friend has a Bentley...owners are generally price incentive wealthy people. if you think resale's bad for MB or BMW, imagine what a rebadged VW's resale might be, LOL.
hearing the high end of market suddenly dropped the past 2 months due to economy. in fact, heard that recently a 2007 Rolls Royce Phantom, 2k miles, $380k MRSP...was trying hard to get $240k at auction.
Compare resale of comparable (pricewise) MB and Bentley.
The latter is within the same percentages as most cars in a $100k range.
Where is the MB 65 series now?
2006 S65 was $175k new and about 60-70% cheaper just a year later($60-65k in trade)
2006 Spur with MSRP of $175k is still worth $120k in trade.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:30 PM

You name it i've had it or got it...
the car is reliable. fairly quick. bullet proof compared to older bentleys. it is a great car you will like it very much. do remember what it is though...it is all about luxury with this car. the ride is very soft. 05's are creeping into the high teens now...06's are about 8k more then the 05's.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:13 PM

thank you for all the response.

Yes i agree, Bentley GT are one of the more common high end luxury car out there, but is not as bad as you describe, is everywhere.. you might come across 5 or so per day, especially if you live in my area of irvine, newport, southcoast. but than again, is a great car, and at a great pricing,

i have try to look at other options, but i think the wife has her eyes set on the GT, so most likely we are going to make that purchase, i think for a women, is a perfect car, not too flashy, but yet it represent class and status. what other options are out there? not very much i suspose.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:38 PM

CLS 55
GREAT car! One of my favorites that I've owned!

Old 10-23-2007, 07:46 PM
Banned

S65
It's very common in my area but I like them. A great daily driver; comfortable, fast, good-looking and not flashy.

We had a Flying Spur but honestly the S65 is a better car. But the Bentley's AWD was a + in the snow.

I am shocked how cheap they are when they're used. For $115,000, I don't think you can do better or there are any cars comparable besides maybe an SL AMG, CL AMG or an Aston Martin DB9.

Last edited by NYC V12BITURBO; 10-23-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:29 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
Its a tough choice but I might pick the DB9 over the GT.....Bond factor

Last edited by CY; 10-24-2007 at 12:32 AM.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:40 AM

yeah but i have to agree, i was super shock when i saw the price tag on a pre-owned Bentley, $115K to $130K depending on miles. at that price, i happy to write a check and never look back.

i do love the DB9, but price factory is not reasonable for a pre-owned. beside i dont feel comfortable if my wife drives around in a 200k car running errans. and she's a tiny Asian girl, guarantee a easy target. At least with the GT, is more common here, mostly driven by wifes.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:53 AM

CLS 55
No offense if anyone has one, but the DB9 doesn't even compare. I actually had my heart set on a Vanquish S when I bought the GT. I drove a couple of Astons and wasn't really impressed, so I went across the street to the Bentley store just so I could say I did. I never really liked the looks of the GT that much, so I don't know why I went over, but I LOVED the car! It's a big, heavy, well built car that feels like a sports car, and the interior is wayyyy better than just about anything out there. No squeaks, no rattles, and zero problems.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Big Carrot
No offense if anyone has one, but the DB9 doesn't even compare. I actually had my heart set on a Vanquish S when I bought the GT. I drove a couple of Astons and wasn't really impressed, so I went across the street to the Bentley store just so I could say I did. I never really liked the looks of the GT that much, so I don't know why I went over, but I LOVED the car! It's a big, heavy, well built car that feels like a sports car, and the interior is wayyyy better than just about anything out there. No squeaks, no rattles, and zero problems.
i agree, i also test drove a few AM, and wasnt impress by it. since i already have a Gallardo, i dont want another sport car. actually leaves me with only 2 choices, GT or Flying Spur. i know most people say Mercedes, but the CLS 55 is the end of my Mercedes relationship. time to move up and up !!!! and a few years, maybe a RR. i love that car..
Old 10-24-2007, 10:25 PM

CLS 55
i agree, i also test drove a few AM, and wasnt impress by it. since i already have a Gallardo, i dont want another sport car. actually leaves me with only 2 choices, GT or Flying Spur. i know most people say Mercedes, but the CLS 55 is the end of my Mercedes relationship. time to move up and up !!!! and a few years, maybe a RR. i love that car..
I'd definitely go for the GT over the Spur. I have come to love the looks of the GT, but the spur just looks like a *******ized version of it. I think the rear of that car looks like a Hyundai or something. I have a CLS55, and it's nowhere near the car that the Bentley is. More fun to drive? Yes, but I think it loses in just about every other category. BTW, my best friend has a Phantom, and I am absolutely in love with that car! I feel like a king when I drive it!
Old 10-24-2007, 11:05 PM

I'd definitely go for the GT over the Spur. I have come to love the looks of the GT, but the spur just looks like a *******ized version of it. I think the rear of that car looks like a Hyundai or something. I have a CLS55, and it's nowhere near the car that the Bentley is. More fun to drive? Yes, but I think it loses in just about every other category. BTW, my best friend has a Phantom, and I am absolutely in love with that car! I feel like a king when I drive it!
i have to agree, the GT looks better than the Spur, but i have seen some Spur with wheels that looks really good. i also have a CLS55 for daily driver. but is all up to the wifey. we only have 1 kid right now so the GT is okay, but anything more than that, we need a bigger car, and the wife will not drive a SUV.

i knew several people that has a phantom, but all much older business man, i am only in my late twenties, so it wouldn't look right for me, but i do feel like a king when i am riding in it. the price tag suck, but that's for sure Status !!!!
Old 10-25-2007, 12:48 AM

You name it i've had it or got it...
Well the DB9 is more of a sports car that has luxury....and the Bentley is more of a luxury car that performs like a sports car. The funny part is in straight line performance the DB9 is actually slightly slower (by a hair). A DB9 is one of the only cars I have never owned...I have been close to pulling the trigger a few times. My friend actually offered me his 05 with 4k miles for $100k 3 weeks ago and I thought long and hard about it. I just couldn't do it. I just wish the car was a lot faster then it is. The other thing about it is that yes...the Bentley isn't as scarce as the Aston...but in this case...it is a potential trap. I know my friend was trying to sell his car for 8 months now...obviously not as cheap as he offered it to me...but still cheap relative to the mkt...and he has had no luck. I have had 2 Bentley's and both of them I was able to move in less then 2-3 weeks of when I started the selling process. I guess that outlook is just my outlook...because I only keep certain cars for 6-8 months and then I am out. There is a reason why the Bentley is seen everywhere too...because it is a great car. It has a little bit of everything..with a cherry on top. Just my 2 cents...
Old 10-25-2007, 08:51 AM

CLS 55

i knew several people that has a phantom, but all much older business man, i am only in my late twenties, so it wouldn't look right for me, but i do feel like a king when i am riding in it. the price tag suck, but that's for sure Status !!!!
Hey, I'm in my 20's too! You're correct about a young guy looking odd in a Phantom, or even a GT for that matter, but I like it! I get asked what I do for work almost any time I'm out!
Old 10-25-2007, 08:51 AM

CLS 55
Originally Posted by rbtronnie5
Well the DB9 is more of a sports car that has luxury....and the Bentley is more of a luxury car that performs like a sports car. The funny part is in straight line performance the DB9 is actually slightly slower (by a hair). A DB9 is one of the only cars I have never owned...I have been close to pulling the trigger a few times. My friend actually offered me his 05 with 4k miles for $100k 3 weeks ago and I thought long and hard about it. I just couldn't do it. I just wish the car was a lot faster then it is. The other thing about it is that yes...the Bentley isn't as scarce as the Aston...but in this case...it is a potential trap. I know my friend was trying to sell his car for 8 months now...obviously not as cheap as he offered it to me...but still cheap relative to the mkt...and he has had no luck. I have had 2 Bentley's and both of them I was able to move in less then 2-3 weeks of when I started the selling process. I guess that outlook is just my outlook...because I only keep certain cars for 6-8 months and then I am out. There is a reason why the Bentley is seen everywhere too...because it is a great car. It has a little bit of everything..with a cherry on top. Just my 2 cents...

Well put.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:56 AM

Hey, I'm in my 20's too! You're correct about a young guy looking odd in a Phantom, or even a GT for that matter, but I like it! I get asked what I do for work almost any time I'm out!
well i get asked all the time also, and i typically dont like to discuss business with strangers, so my standard reply is "I am a trust fund baby" and they usually leave it at that. But in Orange County, CA, Bentley GT are mostly driven by younger generation and females, hardley do i see a GT driven by older men. But i view the GT as the same class at my Gallardo, i have a exotic semi-supercar for myself, and the wife wants to feel equal, so she wants to get rid of the M5 and move up.

i veiw Phantom as a entire different league. phantom to me is, "look !!! i made it" and money is growing overnight by itself, and my kids will never have to work. thats when i want to have a Phantom. we are all currently rich, but not "wealthy" , well at least for myself..
Old 10-25-2007, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
But i view the GT as the same class at my Gallardo, i have a exotic semi-supercar for myself, and the wife wants to feel equal, so she wants to get rid of the M5 and move up.

i veiw Phantom as a entire different league. phantom to me is, "look !!! i made it" and money is growing overnight by itself, and my kids will never have to work. thats when i want to have a Phantom. we are all currently rich, but not "wealthy" , well at least for myself..
speaking of "wealth" - Sir John Templeton the Billionaire investor was asked the key to true wealth, his reply was "gratitude" - without it, one will never feel wealthy.

p.s. here a quick plug for www.compassion.com.
i just helped my 4 yr old daughter sign up to help support a poor child. there are pictures posted and she helped me specify boy/girl, country, etc... i then used google earth to show her where the country is located. it costs $32/month...and our family's plan is to skip one meal per month or for my daughter to sacrifice one toy to help support her
Old 10-25-2007, 03:54 PM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
well i get asked all the time also, and i typically dont like to discuss business with strangers, so my standard reply is "I am a trust fund baby" and they usually leave it at that. But in Orange County, CA, Bentley GT are mostly driven by younger generation and females, hardley do i see a GT driven by older men. But i view the GT as the same class at my Gallardo, i have a exotic semi-supercar for myself, and the wife wants to feel equal, so she wants to get rid of the M5 and move up.

Funny... here in the Newport/Newport Coast area almost all the GT's seem to be driven by 40 something men... unless that's what you mean by younger generation... I certainly think it is! =)

~ Ian
Old 10-25-2007, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by bzliteyear
speaking of "wealth" - Sir John Templeton the Billionaire investor was asked the key to true wealth, his reply was "gratitude" - without it, one will never feel wealthy.

p.s. here a quick plug for www.compassion.com.
i just helped my 4 yr old daughter sign up to help support a poor child. there are pictures posted and she helped me specify boy/girl, country, etc... i then used google earth to show her where the country is located. it costs $32/month...and our family's plan is to skip one meal per month or for my daughter to sacrifice one toy to help support her
very well put. but most of us are so caught with our day to day meeting and business that there's no time stop and think about "gratitude". But i feel bless when i am at home, playing with our son, and knowing that he can have everything that i didnt.

but the realistic factor is this, we buy what we see and we are always trying to keep up with what other people have.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bentley GT ??? Advise Please