C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Clunk sound from rear...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 Tesla Roadster, '06 AMG CLS 55; '00 SVT F-150
Clunk sound from rear...

Hi Guys, I'm relatively new to this board. Avid reader, lazy poster (thanks for the all the knowledge gained).

I've been hearing an intermitent loud clunking sound, probably coming from the rear suspension, that's most evident over uneven roads or bumps, but not very reproducible.

I took it to my mechanic and he checked everything out, suspension, exhaust, etc. anything that might make a metal on metal type sound.

Yes, I've emptied the car, trunk, no dead bodies, etc. My mechanic thinks something might be wrong with the air suspension, but no way to reproduce it on the rack.

Any similar experiences ? Ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
- Ed
Old 11-30-2007, 01:15 PM

You name it i've had it or got it...
might be your diff? how hard do you drive the car?
Old 11-30-2007, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Try this.Drive over a speed bump at slow speed,if it does it and its the same sound then most likely its the rear shocks and suspension.They all do it.

Another thing to try is back up slowly and stop.Put the car in drive and slap the throttle with your foot,as if you were leaving a stop light quickly.If you hear a thud from under the car then,you most likely have a broken rear sub frame mount.Somewhat common.Warranty will fix it.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:49 PM

OO7 CLS63///G55TANK ///S80-T6///R1///R6
had the same prob.
It was a couple of loose brackets located next to the trunk pillar to the left(close to the fuse box_). The way I figuered it out was Having my mech. ride in the trunk while I was driving. It did sound like metal clunking. I was told it was a defect from factory. Give it a try-get to your fuse box and see if everything is where it should be.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:03 PM

You name it i've had it or got it...
Originally Posted by SAMSSONZ
had the same prob.
It was a couple of loose brackets located next to the trunk pillar to the left(close to the fuse box_). The way I figuered it out was Having my mech. ride in the trunk while I was driving. It did sound like metal clunking. I was told it was a defect from factory. Give it a try-get to your fuse box and see if everything is where it should be.
So let me get this straight...you shoved your mechanic in your trunk and drove around. Now that is a damn good mechanic!!!
Old 11-30-2007, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by rbtronnie5
So let me get this straight...you shoved your mechanic in your trunk and drove around. Now that is a damn good mechanic!!!
PRETTY MUCH- Thats how I solved the problem.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:03 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
I also get this noise and thought it might have been bushings, will check it out!
thanks J

p.s lol i just thought to my self...where is this rear sub frame mount located

Last edited by Zod; 12-02-2007 at 02:06 AM.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:26 AM

'10 Tesla Roadster, '06 AMG CLS 55; '00 SVT F-150
Thanks for the replies

I got my wife to sit in the back while I took the car out for a spin, couldn't convince her that the trunk was ideal as suggested by SAMSSONZ...

rbtronnie5, I punch it every chance I get, but doubt I drive it harder than you fellas, so doubt it is the diff. The clunks happens mostly over uneven roads that make the car rock a bit, not on quick sprints, or hitting favorite fwy on ramps, etc.

Jrocket, found a couple of speed bumps near a local elementary and can't reproduce it reliably, but when we do hear it, my wife thinks it is coming from the rear passenger side suspension, so your suggestion of a broken rear sub frame mount, is interesting, since we already ruled out bushings.

Samssonz, didn't see anything loose in the trunk, but will try again to look for the brackets near the trunk pillar / fuse box area as suggested.

My wife's friend's brother-in-law apparently is head mechanic for AMGs at Beverly Hills MB, if my dealer (Rusnak) can't figure it out, I guess I'll send it out for a 2nd opinion next week and follow-up with you guys.

Thanks again,
- Ed
Old 12-02-2007, 05:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by SAMSSONZ
had the same prob.
Thats a good way of diagnosing the problem
Old 12-02-2007, 05:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Try this.Drive over a speed bump at slow speed,if it does it and its the same sound then most likely its the rear shocks and suspension.They all do it.

Another thing to try is back up slowly and stop.Put the car in drive and slap the throttle with your foot,as if you were leaving a stop light quickly.If you hear a thud from under the car then,you most likely have a broken rear sub frame mount.Somewhat common.Warranty will fix it.
I'm not sure how similar the CLS Airmatic is (I understood the OP's car had airmatic) with the W211 but my W211 had an odd clunk at quick bumps, not on slow ones. It turned out to the the rear suspension. The car was fixed on warranty and I never knew if the shocks were replaced or the airmatic spring, or both. But this CLS is newer and I understood it was a batch of airmatic parts that had problems. It really sounded like something was loose in the trunk.

I've had two different W211 cars with Airmatic and no sounds from the suspension, I wouldn't consider them all do it. Again, the CLS may be different, I did not check this.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I'm not sure how similar the CLS Airmatic is (I understood the OP's car had airmatic) with the W211 but my W211 had an odd clunk at quick bumps, not on slow ones. It turned out to the the rear suspension. The car was fixed on warranty and I never knew if the shocks were replaced or the airmatic spring, or both. But this CLS is newer and I understood it was a batch of airmatic parts that had problems. It really sounded like something was loose in the trunk.

I've had two different W211 cars with Airmatic and no sounds from the suspension, I wouldn't consider them all do it. Again, the CLS may be different, I did not check this.
Every airmatic cls and e Ive driven had the clunk sound over slow sharp bumps.Its very common.

The e and cls both have the same rear suspension parts.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Double check the battery and such for being lose.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:38 PM

Just like mine- It always happened on random and I could never tell precisely where it came from. gd-luck I know how annoying it is.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
So what is it exactly? My car has that same exact clunk when I go over speed bumps a little fast. If I take it slow, I don't hear the sound, but just a little faster than usual, I get that clunk.

After the mechanics checked the suspension, bushings, brackets, bars, etc..... they said everything looked fine. Then they tested 3 other brand new 63s and they all had that exact same clunk, so they told me that it was normal.

Is it really normal or can it be fixed permanently?
Old 12-03-2007, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
So what is it exactly? My car has that same exact clunk when I go over speed bumps a little fast. If I take it slow, I don't hear the sound, but just a little faster than usual, I get that clunk.

After the mechanics checked the suspension, bushings, brackets, bars, etc..... they said everything looked fine. Then they tested 3 other brand new 63s and they all had that exact same clunk, so they told me that it was normal.

Is it really normal or can it be fixed permanently?
Call me tomorrow- Ill walk u thru exactly what I did.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:35 PM

06 CLS55 AMG-all options sans Distronic; Carrera4S; 07 M5;Lexus GS300
Jrocket-
+1. Mine has it also and there's nothing loose in my trunk (only my mind, I think). what's the solution, if there is one?