C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Transmission settings-Comfort, Sport or Manual

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 CLS 63
Transmission settings-Comfort, Sport or Manual

What transmission program do you run on different occasions?
1. D/C mode
2. D/S mode
3. 1/M mode
4. 1/C mode
5. 1/S mode

For my daily commute, I set it to D/C for max mpg and use 1/S when I want to extract the most aggressive shift program out of my car. Will using D/S for daily commute yield a worse mpg? Also, when will you ever use 1/C mode?

Thanks for your input.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
63 Transmission Modes

Originally Posted by Ak63
What transmission program do you run on different occasions?
1. D/C mode
2. D/S mode
3. 1/M mode
4. 1/C mode
5. 1/S mode

For my daily commute, I set it to D/C for max mpg and use 1/S when I want to extract the most aggressive shift program out of my car. Will using D/S for daily commute yield a worse mpg? Also, when will you ever use 1/C mode?

Thanks for your input.
1. D/C --> like you mentioned, is best for most comfot drive and max mpg.
2. D/S --> for more sporty/aggressive driving around town and seems to yield best results on drag strip (or at least until someone masters the M mode).
3. 1/M --> best setting to do a burn out with (ESP off of course).
4. 1/C --> should not be used; when in C mode, the car is designed to reduce power and increase "luxury" and comfort, and so it starts slow and in 2nd gear. If you try to hammer it in comfort, it will force a downshift to 1/C and temporary over-ride comfort mode.
5. 1/S --> this setting will attempt to hold 1st gear to higher rpms when you're not in kick down mode. So if you're accelerating slow or hard (but not kickdown), this setting will stay in 1st gear almost to red-line. But once in kickdown mode, it acts identical to D/S mode.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:06 PM

07 CLS 63
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
2. D/S --> for more sporty/aggressive driving around town and seems to yield best results on drag strip (or at least until someone masters the M mode).
4. 1/C --> should not be used; when in C mode, the car is designed to reduce power and increase "luxury" and comfort, and so it starts slow and in 2nd gear. If you try to hammer it in comfort, it will force a downshift to 1/C and temporary over-ride comfort mode.
5. 1/S --> this setting will attempt to hold 1st gear to higher rpms when you're not in kick down mode. So if you're accelerating slow or hard (but not kickdown), this setting will stay in 1st gear almost to red-line. But once in kickdown mode, it acts identical to D/S mode.
Thanks MBForever! So the D/S is actually faster than 1/S?
From my limited time playing around with the settings, it seems that D/S still upshifts earlier than in the 1/S mode. And yeah....that 1/D mode is just doesn't make any sense to use at all.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Ak63
Thanks MBForever! So the D/S is actually faster than 1/S?
I wouldn't say faster, but it has yielded better results more consistently. But like I said, if you use kick-down mode, 1/S will behave just like D/S.

Anytime you're in D and try to use the levers to select a gear (lets say 3rd), this tells the computer to "limit" your driving gears to the first 3 gears ONLY. So, if you select 2nd gear, the car will try to only shift in 1st and 2nd gears only. If you select 5th gear, then the car will shift through the first 5 gears only. If you select 1st gear, the car will try to stay in 1st gear only, and so on. However, if reach redline in any of these selected gears, unlike Manual mode, the car will up-shift for you due to rev-limiter.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:58 PM

07 CLS 63
I wouldn't say faster, but it has yielded better results more consistently. But like I said, if you use kick-down mode, 1/S will behave just like D/S.

Anytime you're in D and try to use the levers to select a gear (lets say 3rd), this tells the computer to "limit" your driving gears to the first 3 gears ONLY. So, if you select 2nd gear, the car will try to only shift in 1st and 2nd gears only. If you select 5th gear, then the car will shift through the first 5 gears only. If you select 1st gear, the car will try to stay in 1st gear only, and so on. However, if reach redline in any of these selected gears, unlike Manual mode, the car will up-shift for you due to rev-limiter.
Thanks for your help MBForever. Now, let's go back to Jangy's thread.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:41 PM

2007 CLS63 AMG
What about comfort, sport 1 and sport 2. What does everyone use? Also, do you ever raise the car with button next to comfort and sport 1 and 2?
Old 04-24-2008, 08:26 PM

07 CLS 63
Originally Posted by RobCLS63
What about comfort, sport 1 and sport 2. What does everyone use? Also, do you ever raise the car with button next to comfort and sport 1 and 2?
I use the comfort suspension setting when my wife or kids are in the car. I like sport 1 during daily commute because comfort is a bit too soft for me. I use sport 2 during weekends without family member in my car.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:52 AM

a car that gets very poor gas mileage.
In regards to D/S mode...

Because of the "learning" nature of the transmission, isn't the shifting pattern of D/S mode dependent on your most recent driving behavior while in this mode?