Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Question for those who've owned or had extensive seat time in both CLS55/63

Considering getting one of these beasts, trying to decide....few questions:

1) which is stiffer ride-wise in comfort mode, assuming there's any difference? I'm tooling around most of the time, no need for the kidney-crushing ride...

2) which gets better mileage? Yeah, I know, neither are fuel misers, but I'm still curious!

3) any pluses or minuses in terms of feature content?

4) overall impressions of each? Favorite?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 09-12-2008, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Anyone??
Old 09-17-2008, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Dang, 123 hits and no responses....oh, well.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Go for the 55k bro, yrs of proven mod friendly perf! I can't wait to read your posts after some seat time in whatever you ultimately choose
Old 09-17-2008, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
They are exactly the same in every way with the exception of available mods. Although if you were to ask me the 55 can have more problems because it has more parts so I would go for the 63 if you feel 500 HP is enough for you.

BUT, you can get a heck of a deal on the 55 so that could also play a part in your decision. mpgs is about the same, the suspension is the same, everything is the same.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:42 PM

14-F Sport, 07-CLS63 2003-HUMMER 2004-Suburban 2008-MAX 2005-YZF R1
Originally Posted by TREZ63
They are exactly the same in every way with the exception of available mods. Although if you were to ask me the 55 can have more problems because it has more parts so I would go for the 63 if you feel 500 HP is enough for you.

BUT, you can get a heck of a deal on the 55 so that could also play a part in your decision. mpgs is about the same, the suspension is the same, everything is the same.

I thought the Suspension in the 63 was upgraded... I swear I read that somewhere.... here!
Old 09-19-2008, 08:39 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
It's the transmission that's different.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
Originally Posted by Jocampo
It's the transmission that's different.
Oh yeah, I can't believe I forgot that!

7-Speed FTW!!!

I can get 24mpg if coasting on the highway and driving like a 70yr old. And I can also get 7mpg when I drive normally
Old 09-20-2008, 06:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Improviz
Dang, 123 hits and no responses....oh, well.

Driving a N/A car that is capable of hangingwith the boosted is satisfying. I love the smooth feel of the 63 but I also love the violent snap of the 55....

The CLS is the best looking in the lineup, 55 or 63 in a cls is the B O M B
Old 09-20-2008, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'17 CLS550
I am debating the same thing. You can get a helluva deal on the 55s now. I just like the actuall paddle shifters on the 63 compared to the plastic buttons on the 55....may be a stupid reason but I'm having trouble getting past it. Plus, the additional year of warranty, most likely...(depending on when the car was put in service).
Old 09-20-2008, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Got one!!

Ended up getting a fantastic deal on an absolutely mint Obsidian Black CLS55, and even better it is an 030!! And to put some nice icing on the cake, it still has two full years of warranty, which given the experiences I had w/the CLK55, is a pretty good thing to have!

Absolutely loving this thing, though...hands down the most amazing car I've ever owned.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:57 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Ended up getting a fantastic deal on an absolutely mint Obsidian Black CLS55, and even better it is an 030!! And to put some nice icing on the cake, it still has two full years of warranty, which given the experiences I had w/the CLK55, is a pretty good thing to have!

Absolutely loving this thing, though...hands down the most amazing car I've ever owned.
Improviz i have seen you post arguments my friend...and this review of yours is weak!!!! show us your true wall of text skills review or else
and congrats by the way
Old 09-21-2008, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner

The best advice comes from within.

You got the best and then some with the 030.

To take it to the next dimension--go for the ECU and the pulley upgrades.

Welcome to the madness.

btw...whats the $, mileage, options?

Last edited by m_berman; 09-21-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030

Pics or B A N

WOW BRO CONGRATZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!
Old 09-21-2008, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Zod
Improviz i have seen you post arguments my friend...and this review of yours is weak!!!! show us your true wall of text skills review or else
and congrats by the way
Lol....thanks!

OK, pretty busy these days, but here's a quickie...to me it is a good "transition" car, in that I, having two kiddos these days, needed something more "family friendly" (i.e., a car into which I can stick a car seat if needed, and insert kiddo(s) into said seat without throwing my back into traction)....however, I did NOT want a mega-stiff ride, and didn't want 10 mpg either, which ruled out the M5 (yes, I took a look at one, but on looks alone, this one won out in my heart), and wanted something like an E Class, wherein you've got a great ride but can still have fun driving the thing...and of course, I love sporty looks, and this baby has them in spades.

Now, this thing, of course, is stiffer than the E Class, but in comfort mode it's just perfect: nice ride for everyday driving, luxurious, quiet, yet doesn't have much lean in a stiff corner, and if you want to get wild in the twisties, there's always Sport II...but for me it's tranny and suspension in comfort mode, in which I've been able to get about 23-4 mpg highway and 18-19 city--the same as my CLK55 got!!

Back to the "transition front" for a moment: I couldn't quite get myself to give up the power just yet....looked at & drove a new CLS550, and seriously considered two '07 CLS63s on which there were really good deals available, but when I saw this one advertised at a local dealer, a one-owner on trade, thought I'd have a look....and when I saw the wheels, thought to myself "holy sheeit, this is an 030 at a great price--for a BASE model!", and the condition it's in is simply amazing: I thought I was the all-time winner for most **** caretaker, but this guy was the MASTER! Not a single swirl mark or auto car wash mark on the thing, and aside from two tiny stone chips which will take about five secs to touch up, paint is juts pristine, as is the interior, which honestly doesn't appear to have ever been sat in and still smells like a new car...so, that was all she wrote. As it was a cash/trade no finance deal, was able to get a great price as well. And man, I just absolutely LOVE that Obsidian Black...gleams like a black diamond, just gorgeous. But with this and the dark interior, ventilated seats are mandatory!

And acceleration is just out of this world. It for some reason seems to me to be a bit less visceral as the CLK55 was (probably due to more noise isolation, and I haven't bothered to play w/the suspension settings yet), but the speed at which the numbers on the speedo fly by definitely tells the tale. No kills to report other than some dumb kid in a Mustang GT, but I'm not really out there trolling for races either...gotta keep the word to the wife.

Steering is much lighter than the CLK's was, so it's a bit odd to get used to, but it's nice at low speeds and is quite linear. 186 mph top speed: I can promise that, unless I'm being chased by some armed lunatics and am running for my life, this will be a conversation topic only!

Brakes, well, with 15.4" discs up front, I figure it'll put me through the windshield if need be...pedal is a tad bit more sensitive than the CLK was, but they'll do fine after a bit of adaptation by moi. Trunk closer on this vehicle is ridiculous, but it's nice to show off, lol...also found out that it is idiot-proof today when I accidentally left the key (has keyless go) in the trunk and closed it; trunk closed and promptly reopened, as if to say "hey, idiot: your KEY is in here!!".

Seems to have all options except the parktronic, distronic and dynamic seats, all of which frankly I have no use for anyway; also has bluetooth phone adapter, a nice extra....in fact, if anyone can point me to an options list I can be more specific...it definitely has leather on the dash and door panels, satellite, nav, keyless go, trunk closer, 030 as mentioned before, xenons w/washers, ventilated seats, CD changer, bluetooth phone thingie in the console, that's all that comes to mind.

LOVE IT!!!

Last edited by Improviz; 09-21-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by juicee63
Pics or B A N

Thanks!!!

Pics will have to wait 'till later, as I'm stuck at home babysitting the new arrival and can't leave her here all alone! Stay tuned, I'll post soon...also gotta update my avatar pic!
Old 09-21-2008, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Thanks!!!

Pics will have to wait 'till later, as I'm stuck at home babysitting the new arrival and can't leave her here all alone! Stay tuned, I'll post soon...also gotta update my avatar pic!
That trunk feature has saved me numerous times. Also your car is gonna be fast since it is not bogged down with Parktronic and distronic. The brakes are amazing, and that color is silly sick. You won,

Im babysitting as well, and yes the britax fits easily
Old 09-22-2008, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
The CLS is the best looking in the lineup, 55 or 63 in a cls is the B O M B
+1,000,000
Old 09-24-2008, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Pics or B A N

Here's one I snapped tonight on my iPhone:

More to come as soon as I get friggin' time to take 'em!!
Old 09-25-2008, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Congrats man and enjoy in good health..... The CLS is an AWESOME car on the track as well as the streets. It'll take your breath away every time. I've been fortunate to drive one on the track and can attest to it's power and finesse

Please keep the pictures coming
Old 09-25-2008, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Congrats man and enjoy in good health..... The CLS is an AWESOME car on the track as well as the streets. It'll take your breath away every time. I've been fortunate to drive one on the track and can attest to it's power and finesse

Please keep the pictures coming
Thanks!!

I love it...it is like the Swiss Army Knife of cars, with a bazooka attachment thrown in for good measure! Absolutely amazing machine, I'm so glad I found it w/this package. Happy camper here, no doubt about it!!