C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

06 CLS55 AMG or 07 CLS550 w/ AMG kit? which one would you get?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS55 AMG or 07 CLS550 w/ AMG kit? which one would you get?

If you were given two choices, a 2006 CLS55 AMG and a 2007 CLS550 w/ AMG kit and all else is equal, which one would you go for (both used of course)?

I am thinking about buying one of them, but I can't figure out which one. I am not really a "performance driver" but I would rather have it than not. I really like the way AMG looks and I know that even if you have the kit, you still don't have the rotors/calipers/quad exhaust (that's about the only difference on the outside right?)

The only reason I would be getting the real AMG is for the added looks and prestige, not really for performance.

I know 2006 was the first model year of the CLS and usually first model year cars have some trouble...that's why I was thinking 2007. I was also thinking that maybe a real AMG car would be more expensive to fix if something where to happen to it than one that simply has an AMG kit, what do you think?

I know AMG uses up a bit more fuel too..but that's not a big deal for the performance boost it must give compared to the CLS550.

Also, does AMG get an extra warranty or any other extra benefits besides the added performance?

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-29-2008, 12:35 AM

:)
AMG has been wash down to every model of any mercedes model line up... What does AMG really means these days???? Absolutely "NOTHING" in my opinion... on the 550 AMG, all you are getting is the wheels with AMG engraving, AMG engrave single exhaust, and rear badge, nothing else addition to my understanding...
So lets boil down to the true questions !!!! how much do you want to spend? what kind of guy are you? Most of us wants to have the bigger engine, bigger brakes, and louder exhaust and possibly even more power than our current 55 engines produces.

CLS 55, 63 are pretty rare to see, 90% of times is a CLS 500 or 550.. but if money is no object, go with the 55 or 63..

really depends on the buyer, I try to buy top of the line for everything, because I will second guess my purchase if I settle for a lower model, and I dont mine spending more for more power and better performance, which I cant imagine why any car guy would not want better performance...

Warranty are all the same between all models, brakes and other maintance are a bit more expensive, but not a big difference. you will spend ALOT more on gas, but thats the price you pay for driving a beast.

Oh I forgot to mention, you auto insurance will be a bit higher also in comparison to lower model, and the resale value on the 55 are horrible also...

Even knowing all the minor downside of 55's, I have been a proud owner of 55's AMG 4 times... 04 SL55 to 05 SL55 to 06 E55 to 06 CLS55.. and everytime I traded in my car for the next, it has taken some serious beating to my wallet everytime....

hopefully you will make the right decision base on your own situation.

sorry for the long reply....
Old 09-29-2008, 06:16 PM

14-F Sport, 07-CLS63 2003-HUMMER 2004-Suburban 2008-MAX 2005-YZF R1
Now that was as honest as one can get. Gotta love it!!!!
Old 09-29-2008, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mathmik
Now that was as honest as one can get. Gotta love it!!!!
You can always count on my honest opinion....
Old 09-29-2008, 11:14 PM

sorry for the long reply???

That's exactly what I needed!

Thank you very much for the explanation.

The money thing is the same for me. I am thinking about purchasing used and both will cost me almost exactly the same, that's why I asked the question here to see which one would be better 2006 CLS55 AMG or 2007 CLS550 w/ AMG kit.

I'm not really a car guy I guess....I like fast but I like looks and prestige more. I will probably never go above 100mph in it nor will I ever street race or track it. If someone on the road challenges me to a race, I just deny it. I'm just not that kind of a person.

But I absolutely love the way the AMG looks compared to a regular CLS.

The only reason I would get a 07 CLS550 w/ amg kit vs a 06 cls55 amg is because the 07 is "newer" and the only "looks" things lacking from the outside are the dual exhaust and the rotors/calipers.

But is that a worthwhile trade-off simply for a car that is one year newer? A real AMG car with the looks and performance vs an AMG-kit car with not all the looks and no AMG performance...just because the AMG-kit car is one year newer?

It would boil down to how many problems a CLS55 AMG can have vs a CLS550 w/ AMG kit (maintenance expenses/repair expenses). So part of my question is that.

The gas will be more expensive, but I don't care about that.

And the resale values, if both are $55k (which they are) and the 06 CLS55 AMG has 30k miles and the 07 CLS550 w/ amg kit has 20k miles....which do you think I would loose less in at resale and by approximately how much (resale in 2yrs, putting approx 20k miles/yr)?

I am thinking I am swaying a bit towards the AMG, but if there are some seriously expensive problems with it compared to the 07 CLS550, then I might want to avoid it. Or if you guys know the AMG's typically take a much bigger hit on resale if they are driven a certain amount of miles or past a certain "age" then I may want to avoid it if it is significant ($5k+ difference vs 07 cls550). Or even if such mileage puts more pressure on an AMG than a regular...and thus causes much more in maintenance/repairs...then I may want to avoid an AMG.

Thank you very much for your guidance and experienced replies!

Last edited by nanotech; 09-29-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:42 PM

If they are both in the same pricing, I suggest the 55... and just to be honest, not a day go by that I dont hit 100MPH.... you will have lots and lots of fun !!!!! so here's my last advise.... go out there and buy the damn car today !!!!! actually go now !!!! haha.. implusive purchase are always the best.... Enjoy.....
Old 09-30-2008, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
as a CLS550 w/AMG owner I will say get the 2006 CLS55. Interior has tons of upgrades and the motor is awesome.

CLS550 also has PLENTY of power, but if I had the choice I'd probably go with the AMG.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
I have to say CLS55. I love my 500, don't get me wrong.

At the time, it was the right options, at the right time. The AMG kit and bodystyling set it off.

However, if in the market right now, I would get a 55 and not even worry about the gas or depreciation. All cars, especially the high-end ones are taking a beating in depreciation.

Buy it, drive it, love it.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Kar don
as a CLS550 w/AMG owner I will say get the 2006 CLS55. Interior has tons of upgrades and the motor is awesome.

CLS550 also has PLENTY of power, but if I had the choice I'd probably go with the AMG.
Kardon there is no used car on planet earth that is clean enough and free of all squeaks and rattles to make you happy. Used cars just dont mix with Kardon. New is your friend!
Old 09-30-2008, 09:51 AM

C63, GL450, Panamera S, lots of little British leakers
Thumbs up Take the 550

Having owned an early '06 CLS, and quite a number of high-performance cars, I'd take the 550 with the AMG kit... unless you are willing to absorb a huge loss at trade-in time.

CLS550: Lower operating cost, lower fuel cost, wider resale market.

Here in the southeast, there have recently been spot shortages of gas, (Charlotte, Nashville, elsewhere) especially premium. The CLS55/63 has a cruising range of less than 300 miles... so you'll be looking for gas pretty often.

Unless you are a dedicated, high-performance driver, I doubt you'll explore the added thrill of the AMG engine often enough to justify the added purchase and depreciation cost.

Drive a 550 on a fast, windy country road. If you dont find yourself using half or more throttle very often, you don't really need the added boost of the AMG version.

The regular 550 is a great platform with more than adequate power and, with the AMG package, its a very good handling for a car its size. I think you'll be very happy with it.

Also, 06 was the first model year for the CLS, but many of these cars were in service in early 2005... mine was. Check the build date on the one you are looking at.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:53 AM

Ok so the opinions vary a bit like expected.

I don't care about the gas being more expensive because it's not really that much more and I like to weigh the greater expense in gas with the greater performance of the AMG (even if I don't really use it).

06 being the first model year for the CLS55 AMG is one thing I am afraid about...yet nobody seems to know whether or not it has known to cause more problems and thus more expense in repairs/maintenance than the newer 07 CLS550? Maybe they are just the same maintenance/repair wise that's why?

And then the resale, why would the 06 CLS55 AMG depreciate more than the 07 CLS550? Is it just because it is a year older? I would think they both would probably be worth about $25k two years from today. After thinking about it, even if the 06 CLS55 AMG were worth $23k and the 07 CLS550 worth $27k....wouldn't people just pay $4k more for the AMG (almost same mileage for both). And since people probably would pay $4k more, it would raise the demand for the amg more and decrease it for the CLS550...to where they would depreciate (in this particular case) to the same amount.

Even if I loose $3k more on the CLS55 AMG I don't care because hey...I'm driving a real AMG. Of course if you believe I will be loosing $5k or $7k+, then yeah I might want to reconsider it.

So, in your opinion, do you guys think that there will be more than a $5k drop in value for the AMG vs the 07 CLS550 (2yrs, 20kmi/yr)?

And, also, do you think since the 06 CLS55 AMG was the first model year, that I might experience more problems maint/repairs than for a 07 CLS550? And would that expense be more than just $3-$4k MORE (over 2yrs) than what I would spend for the 07 CLS550?

Because the way I am looking at it, if the AMG version has a "total cost of ownership" (w/ ins & gas) of more than $15k vs the 07 CLS550, then I am going to go with the 07 CLS550. $15k more for the CLS55 AMG is not worth it for me for just 2yrs. I'm not wealthy enough for that yet!

I would be willing to give up the performance (which I probably won't use anyway) and the rotors/calipers, quad exhaust, and the AMG badge for $625/mo ($15k over 2yrs, 15k/24mos = $625/mo). Heck if it really is probably going to cost me $15k more over the course of 2yrs to own a 06 CLS55 AMG vs a 07 CLS550 then I could literally use that savings to buy a loaded C300 (+pay for its ins) for my wife!

Last edited by nanotech; 09-30-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:35 PM

I got lost with all the numbers that you listed above... but all I know that driving the car that you love is Priceless.....

There's no major problems with 06 cls55 as far as I know.. I abuse my CLS as daily driver and yet to have any problems. actually I had 1 problem with the supercharger, but warranty covered it and replace with new parts, no cost to me, and a minor problem with the automatic rear trunk, but I think it was me who broke it while I was drunk one night trying to close my trunk...

lets face it, you will have 550 owner saying 550 is great, and 55's owner who never test drove or have the desire to drive the 550 at all, like myself I say for similiar pricing, go with the 55...

You will go crazy trying to compare every aspect between the 2 car... STOP BIT !!!!!!! just put both car in front of you, and somehow pick the one that you like most.. and move on... This is just one of many future toys that you will own, dont stress about it, keep it simple and buy it now.....

next posting we hope you will post pics of your purchase, either 550 or 55... both amazing car..... buy the one that will fit your lifestyle, your wallet, and your heart.....
Old 09-30-2008, 11:52 PM

well this post doesn't have any pics...but they will come when I do buy the car

i'm a bit analytical and this comparison and analysis is not stressful for me at all...i guess I'm the kind of guy that if I don't do a quick analysis b4 I buy something then I don't feel good about it. There's something about knowing that you didn't just do an impulse buy and bought something after giving it some thought. I don't know, maybe it's just me and maybe it's just at this point in my life.

Anyway, I saw the CLS550 yesterday...it just looked too basic for me to be driving. No offense to CLS550 owners, I'm buying this car for looks/prestige and I almost feel I have to have the CLS63 AMG...but I can't afford it and the CLS55 AMG will have to do.

Anyway, if somebody has a silver with beige interior CLS55 AMG that they want to sell, let me know!

Now I am going to do some research on here about that one performance package that I read somewhere on the board that I must get if I am getting the AMG. They said you can tell whether or not it has it because it comes with different looking wheels.

Anyway, thank you for all your help! (and please continue to post if you have any more opinions on depreciation/maint/repairs or any tips/hints on purchasing a CLS)
Old 10-01-2008, 01:11 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1987 Buick GNX,SL65 Black, 1987 Buick Turbo Limited, 2010 GT500
Talking Is this a trick question??? damn

CLS55........end of story.......this question is like someone saying...well should I get the Citizen? Or the Rolex? The Rolex is obviously stolen to match the Citizen price......but it is a no brainer.....They both serve the same purpose but one is worth owning ....

You can't compare a hand assembled supersedan to a common car period.....

Oh and my CLS55 has 44k miles...it is for sale...if someone finds one rattle or creak in my car I will give the car to them for FREE....sign the title right over.....There is none.......not one......these cars are simply bullet proof....

Last edited by retardedmunk; 10-01-2008 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:32 AM

2006 CLS55 AMG
CLS55 without a doubt! But then again I'm heavily biased
Old 10-01-2008, 08:24 AM

Velvet Fleetwood
test drive both cars. the answer should be obvious
Old 10-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
if you get the 550 and like its power, you will be left craving and thinking what the 55 power is like, same can not be said the other way around, you have the top of the range with the 55 and can go much further into super power lvls.

Do it once in your life and get a reall AMG, trust me if you get a clean one and can offered it go for it
If you do not like the power handling seates exhust stuff then maybe stick to 550
Old 10-01-2008, 08:54 PM

06 CLS55
its a no brainer at the same price! CLS55! at a 10-15k more for the 55 then it is a harder question. Why would u say no to all the extra power performance and prestige for 1 year newer, same generation car. Dont worry about the reliability of the 55, find a CPO one and have no worries till 100k miles. Even though you arent a performance driver, drive the 550 and 55 back to back, and hammer it. That will answer your question right there.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:14 PM

wow, thank you very much for your responses.

I am happy to see so many people contributed.

I sincerely appreciate your opinions.

Even though the price for both right now is the same....by the end of my ownership period, the price difference (maint/repairs/ins/gas/resale/depreciation) might be about $10k to $15k over the course of two years....so about $500 per month more for the AMG than the 550. So even though the initial price is the same, the final true (estimated) ownership cost isn't.

Anyway, I'm probably going to get the CLS 55 AMG...unless I just get a killer deal on the right color combination car (silver w/ beige int) I want that also happens to be close by (Nashville, TN).

I'll let you guys know what happens either way. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I should take advantage of the stock market decline and buy stocks instead while I for the car to depreciate a bit more over the next 3-4mos. It just doesn't "feel" like the time to be spending $60k+ after taxes and all on a used car right now.

Anyway, I will let you guys know the results and I sincerely appreciate all your efforts!
Old 10-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Banned

AMGs
Once you drive AMG, especially the 55K engine, you will never want to drive a NON-AMG again.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
07 CLS63 | 06 SLK350
sharing my pers. experience:-
1. bought wife's slk350 in july 2005. was in the same boat as you, should i pay 8g more for the slk55. didn't do it.
2.2 years later, when I had to get my cls, didn't even test drive the 550, knew exactly what i wanted, my 63
Old 10-04-2008, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
CLS55 AMG is AMG...CLS550 W/AMG PKG is just a Merc with extra attention to it. I love the CLS but only the AMG version not one with AMG PKG.