C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Chrome looking taillights..is it doable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrome looking taillights..is it doable?

I orginally posted in the cls 500/550 section but its dead in there.
Anyway, I recently saw a cls with a busted taillight..and i like the look..not of the busted taillight lol but the chrome outer shell of that taillight once the red was removed. Here is a pic(sad to see the car banged up tho ):

I think it flows better with my dark grey cls(and if it turns out horrible I was going to get LED lights anyway). I would need to replace the light bulb with a red bulb perhaps(As I there there are laws requiring brake light to be red). Anybody know how I would go about doing this. Would it be simply as heating up tallight with oven/blowdryer to pry it open..and then scrap out the red? I would probably smoke them a tab bit grayer(non dark) as well since it might be too shiny.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 71 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche, Cadillac
I know they make these type of tails, as I've seen them on the W220, but honestly, they looked quite cheap. The ones in the pics above you've posted look nicer.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
I think it would look ugly like that. Might not be legal either.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 CLS500 with 55 AMG motor, 2008 Infiniti G35, 2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager
im looking for aftermarket headlights, just to replace the glass on my OEM headlights due to rock chipping.

Do they exist ?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:31 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG
Why on earth would you want to destroy the lines of such an elegant automobile with rice-lights? Please go buy a civic.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:04 AM

Nope, Your only option would be to purchase a preferably used headlight that is in great condition and screw then melt off the top glue with a heat source and then epoxy the new shell to the old headlight(after removing the old shell as well). Bodyshops can do this rather easily. I wouldn't recommend you do it because that glue is expensive.

Originally Posted by khelawanb
im looking for aftermarket headlights, just to replace the glass on my OEM headlights due to rock chipping.

Do they exist ?
Old 08-26-2009, 10:06 AM

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion(And I could care less because I am doing this for ME not YOU..lol) but What does the color of the taillights have to do with the lines??? I can see if you said you thought the flow of colors of the car was out of wack or you just hated the lights but your reason is off the wall..but anyway it actually works great with a white/grey and BLACK CLS in my opinion..lol. I think its on the new tailights of the SLR as well if I am not mistaken.

Originally Posted by Full Throttle
Why on earth would you want to destroy the lines of such an elegant automobile with rice-lights? Please go buy a civic.

Last edited by erifly; 08-26-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:08 AM

Yeah if its doable..thats about only thing I'm worried about, the legal implications.

Originally Posted by JonMBZ
I think it would look ugly like that. Might not be legal either.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by erifly
Nope, Your only option would be to purchase a preferably used headlight that is in great condition and screw then melt off the top glue with a heat source and then epoxy the new shell to the old headlight(after removing the old shell as well). Bodyshops can do this rather easily. I wouldn't recommend you do it because that glue is expensive.
I've done it six times already.

I can take apart the headlights, and put them back together in 45 min.

I wanted a cheap option to get a brand new clear glass. I contacted Hella and they won't sell the glass alone.

I could buy a non HID set from the dealer, which is cheaper, but still $500 each.

Last edited by khelawanb; 08-26-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:10 AM

6 times??? Where do you live? it must be raining and snowing rocks where you are at..lol

I've done it six times already.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

6 times??? Where do you live? it must be raining and snowing rocks where you are at..lol
LOL! I was one of the first to start exploring the options of a black headlight, then I swithced to Carbon Fiber headlight inserts. So, I had to take the headlight apart many times due to bad paint jobs, pealing paint, etc.

To get back on topic, I just wanted to say that as much as I like making my car look "different", I think chrome tail lights would be a bad idea. And, they might be mistaken for the cheap aftermarket tail light systems.

I decided to do my headlights with the black carbon look because I love the look that it gives the Lambo's.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:39 AM

Really? So you are an expert at it. Alright expect a pm from me shortly.

I'm def. think I'm going to do it if it's legal and doable(not sure how i can scrap that red off). It's gonna look kind of like sterling slr's taillights(especially since I want to grey out the light a little...)..and I am going to see if I could possible rewire with red LEDs. If it fails, I can always purchase new taillight anyway..lol

LOL! I was one of the first to start exploring the options of a black headlight, then I swithced to Carbon Fiber headlight inserts. So, I had to take the headlight apart many times due to bad paint jobs, pealing paint, etc.

To get back on topic, I just wanted to say that as much as I like making my car look "different", I think chrome tail lights would be a bad idea. And, they might be mistaken for the cheap aftermarket tail light systems.

I decided to do my headlights with the black carbon look because I love the look that it gives the Lambo's.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

looks great on that car.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:31 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
I know everyone is entitled to their opinion(And I could care less because I am doing this for ME not YOU..lol) but What does the color of the taillights have to do with the lines??? I can see if you said you thought the flow of colors of the car was out of wack or you just hated the lights but your reason is off the wall..but anyway it actually works great with a white/grey and BLACK CLS in my opinion..lol. I think its on the new tailights of the SLR as well if I am not mistaken.
My apologies i thought you had a 55.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My apologies i thought you had a 55.
Here we go with another AMG vs 500/550 owner beef.

Full throttle, do you know how boring this site would be if people kept all of their benz's stock ? Or, if this site allowed only AMG owners to join.

Last time I checked, used 55's cost half of what my 500 cost brand new bro!

You do drive a second hand 55, or am I wrong about that?

You are attacking another member that just wanted some info bro.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:12 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Here we go with another AMG vs 500/550 owner beef.

Full throttle, do you know how boring this site would be if people kept all of their benz's stock ? Or, if this site allowed only AMG owners to join.

Last time I checked, used 55's cost half of what my 500 cost brand new bro!

You do drive a second hand 55, or am I wrong about that?

You are attacking another member that just wanted some info bro.
Typical ricer logic. Im disappoint i thought you were a cool local oh well. I purchased my CLS55 because of the K55 engine. If the 09 had a blower i would have purchased that. I also purchased my 700whp Supra and my 650whp cobra used as well, so i guess im missing your point. Only a riced out CLS500 driver would use vehicle ownership and cost as the basis of an argument, "typical ricer". Whats next your engine makes more power per liter You see i like performance, you know power speed, all the things your car does not have. I like fast cars as i have owned them all. Only a FOOL would purchase any of these cars new. My car was $96,000 in 2006 and i paid less than $40,000 for mine CASH. Seems like smart money to me. But then again its different when you're spending cash and not paying a note. I see you 500 drivers are very sensitive so good luck to you all with your bodykits and light bulb mods.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:23 PM

LMAO. Ok, Buddy, Your first comment was about the "look". Explain to me how changing the light bulbs and it messing up the look of the lines have to do with performance? You should be praising me since I am taking extra weight off the car . Anyway, Don't answer that(I got a feeling this will be a never ending convo). I'll just continue on my way and you can do the same.

Typical ricer logic. Im disappoint i thought you were a cool local oh well. I purchased my CLS55 because of the K55 engine. If the 09 had a blower i would have purchased that. I also purchased my 700whp Supra and my 650whp cobra used as well, so i guess im missing your point. Only a riced out CLS500 driver would use vehicle ownership and cost as the basis of an argument, "typical ricer". Whats next your engine makes more power per liter You see i like performance, you know power speed, all the things your car does not have. I like fast cars as i have owned them all. Only a FOOL would purchase any of these cars new. My car was $96,000 in 2006 and i paid less than $40,000 for mine CASH. Seems like smart money to me. But then again its different when you're spending cash and not paying a note. I see you 500 drivers are very sensitive so good luck to you all with your bodykits and light bulb mods.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Full Throttle, I remember when this forum was filled with "FOOLS" in 2005/2006. We were all very happy to talk to each other, AMG or not, because our numbers were few. Now, the overnight AMG owners seem to think that they are suddenly above everyone else, and have the ability to talk down to 500/550 owners.
I am very dissapointed with you because it's obvious that you are a very negative member of this community. Your method of posting makes that very clear.

By the way, I'm not a "ricer", I'm a MB enthusiast.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:44 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
This is the AMG forum correct?
Old 08-26-2009, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBworld members are free to post here, correct ? last time i checked, BMW 335i owners were posting here as well.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
MBworld members are free to post here, correct ? last time i checked, BMW 335i owners were posting here as well.
Then why have a specific vehicle sub forum? Do you really think you're going to get the best feedback about light bulbs in a *performance* oriented sub forum? Maybe i should come over to the cls500 forums and ask questions about heat exchangers and crank pulleys. Anyway this is not a chat forum i apologize to the Mods for taking this off topic. Please delete is you see fit.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Then why have a specific vehicle sub forum? Do you really think you're going to get the best feedback about light bulbs in a *performance* oriented sub forum? Maybe i should come over to the cls500 forums and ask questions about heat exchangers and crank pulleys. Anyway this is not a chat forum i apologize to the Mods for taking this off topic. Please delete is you see fit.
the CLS 55/63 forum is for members with these cars to talk about anything that has to do with the AMG vehicle. The tail light in your car is the same as mine, so why not start a thread here in reference to it?

If you want to talk about performance, there is also a section for that.

Have a nice day A Robinson, oops, I mean full throttle. I forgot, you were banned under that previous name.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:42 PM

cls 55 amg
your superiority complex is actually pretty funny.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by anachronist
your superiority complex is actually pretty funny.
+ 1
Old 08-30-2009, 12:36 AM

Ferrrari 458 Lamborghini SL 570-4 Mercedes CLS63
Light bulb mod!...... Now that is pretty funny

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Chrome looking taillights..is it doable?