C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Need advice: CLS55 IWC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63
Need advice: CLS55 IWC

I saw a gorgeous IWC today, certified, with 26K. Car is clean, except for the driver seat (previous owner was a heavy-set man), which is a bit smashed.... There is curb rash on all 4 wheels but dealer promised to fix that. There are 3 remaining months on the original warranty, + 1 year warranty that comes with the certification. Asking price: 49K (sticker was 122K). Many questions:
1. Is it a fair price? If not, what is?
2. Does one need extra years of warranty? (1 extra year at 2k, 2 at 4k)
3. Would this car retain its value down the road?
4. Is this a better buy than leasing a new c63?
5. Dealer also has an 07 cls63 for a bit more, with only 15k miles, which I would also consider.

I realize that 4 and 5 are personal preferences, but it's a tough choice for me, so I am open to suggestions. I drove the IWC and loved the torque and uniqueness of the car. It is stunning in person and has lots of presence.

I would appreciate any feedback!!

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2009, 08:04 PM

Looking for CLS55 AMG
49k is a little high but not many miles so it seems ok.

Probably fair from a dealer
Old 12-31-2009, 08:48 PM

CLS55 plus a few Ducati's
When it comes to performance, the differences between the CLS and the C will be rarely experienced.
When it comes to the appearance and how it makes you feel, the differences will be experienced every time you open the garage door.
I have a C and CLS..... the C class is a shopping basket, the CLS, an experience!
Put it this way; which car will turn your head as you pass it?
At 49K it is not too bad if you ask me.... but I would want the seat fixed as part of the deal as well as the service history etc. and get the extra warranty.

Last edited by DucatiNut; 12-31-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:52 PM

E63
Ducatinut - Thanks for responding. Are they able to fix a seat like that? The guy was like 300lb...It would have to be replaced....
Old 12-31-2009, 11:21 PM

CLS55 plus a few Ducati's
Every part is replaceable but the cost will be the thing.....
Call another dealer anonymously and ask for a price.
Let us know what happens...........
Old 01-01-2010, 10:40 AM

IWC CLS55 & ML550
Here's my two cents because i went through this a couple months ago

1. Is it a fair price? If not, what is?
A: You should be able to get it lower a little but overall its not that bad. I paid just under $42k for the same one but with 39k miles NOT CPO though but it was in perfect condition also.
2. Does one need extra years of warranty? (1 extra year at 2k, 2 at 4k)
A: I would always keep i on the AMG engines because repairs are ridiculous if something goes wrong, mine expired actually today but I got the 5 year 70k miles from Chrysler, cost me about $3500 but you can pay in payments.
3. Would this car retain its value down the road?
A: No one knows for sure but I assume if you were planning to sell it down the road and you found someone specifically looking for the model then yes
4. Is this a better buy than leasing a new c63?
A. No brainer, dont' even consider the C63 compared to this car
5. Dealer also has an 07 cls63 for a bit more, with only 15k miles, which I would also consider.
A. That really depends on what you want, i like the CLS55 b/c of its stronger torque and more options to customize it. The IWC is also a lot more rarer and I love it everytime the sun hits the paint

Hope that helps!!
Old 01-01-2010, 01:02 PM

E63
Maimi thank you for your detailed reply and happy new year. Please tell me where you got the 5/70? Was it at dealer at time of purchase? How does the handling of your car? I would love to see pics!
Old 01-01-2010, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
If the drivers seat has to be replaced ask them for an all-in price with a new seat and (if applicable) the trade in. It's only the total that matters.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:37 PM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
Comapring to a C63

1. The CLS has more presence inside and out.

2. The interior material on the CLS are of a higher grade that a C by far

3. Command on C is better than the CLS in terms of interface (rotary control is far better)

4. Pre 2009 CLS have the older command with older nav that is antiquated IMHO

If not for the IWC car that you are looking at , I would look for a 09 model on in the CLS as I personally could not live with the older command or having the horrible blue tooth puck.

C63 will get old very fast. While it is exciting to drive, it is rather dull in the looks department. Also, the C class interior is full of cheap rubbermaid like materials.

The price you have is fair as it is from a dealer and a CPO.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:06 PM

E63
Leto thanks-great response. The question is, therefore, if the IWC package is worth the other sacrifices. Also, the 09 CLS63 is rather more expensive. This car could easily be had for $46K imho, and an 09 will cost be in the 70s. I have been driving the E63 for almost 3 years now. The nav is crappy! If one gets a CLK BLK, a car that I would get in a heartbeat if I could find one in a decent price, one has to deal with the same nav system and NO blutooth! I also found the c63 interior a rather depressing place to be in, but engine sounds sweet. For the $$, it is hard to find a more attractive car. Another car in the same price range that has tremendous gravitas: Maserati gransport.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG
The only year CLS worth buying is the 2006 Supercharged V8> natural aspiration.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:34 PM

IWC CLS55 & ML550
Originally Posted by E63ory
Maimi thank you for your detailed reply and happy new year. Please tell me where you got the 5/70? Was it at dealer at time of purchase? How does the handling of your car? I would love to see pics!
Happy New Year to you also. I got the extended warranty from chryslerfactoryplans.com. The guys name is Michael Case, if you do a search in the forums, you will see a lot of guys went with this extended warranty and it seems like it has nothing but positive remarks concerning it. Also the 5/70 is 5 years from Jan 1 and an additional 70k miles on top of what I have so I have it warranty on my car until 2015 and/or 110k miles.

The car was at a dealer, it was a trade in and one of my buddies was friends with the owner of the dealer and he saw it and called me right away, i had it brought the same day to the mercedes dealership to get a pre-purchase inspection(MAKE SURE YOU GET ONE) and it passed with flying colors so i bought it the same day.

The car drives great. My previous cars was a Porsche 911, then a Porsche 911 C4S, while they do drive different I love the sound of the CLS engine and the ride. Plus I have a newborn so the Porsche was no longer an option (my wife's words not mine) But overall I'm very happy with my car, no regrets.

I need to get you some pictures, i've been lazy and some idiot broke into my car on Christmas day so just had the window replaced and tinted today but still waiting on the leather to be replaced. But i'll try to get it up when its all done for you.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:50 PM

E63
Miami thanks again for the great info! You said that your car was from a dealer... Was it from a MB dealership? This car is certified and is sold by a local MB dealer. I get one year automatically as it is certified, plus 3 remaining months on the warranty. The warranty you got sounds amazing... Does that mean it is as good as what I could get from MB? They offer 2 extra years at roughly $3500, which would bring the warranty up till March 2013. I drove the car and it drives well. Only issues are: steering wheel not centered quite right (car doesn't pul though), drivers seat not in good shape, and curb rash on all 4 wheels. Dealer promised to fix wheels, but I still need to discuss seat with him. Other than that, the car is pretty lawless. The interior is stunning - so many great touches - they don't make them like that anymore.... I would love to see pics of your car - sorry to hear about the window! What a pain in the ****.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
w212 E63 / 996tt
IWC is sold!

I had been scouting it since it became available 26 days ago.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:20 PM

E63
I know, man, and I am not the lucky owner. I called the dealer today to try and work out a deal... he informed me that it has sold on the 2nd... I am very bummed out. I guess that i will have to wait for another IWC with extremely low miles to surface, and this time act quicker. Or, go with a different model altogether. Too bad - It was a beauty!
Old 01-04-2010, 10:54 PM

several
Originally Posted by E63ory
I know, man, and I am not the lucky owner. I called the dealer today to try and work out a deal... he informed me that it has sold on the 2nd... I am very bummed out. I guess that i will have to wait for another IWC with extremely low miles to surface, and this time act quicker. Or, go with a different model altogether. Too bad - It was a beauty!
I would'nt be so bummed out. I think 49k is bit too high, especially with damaged wheels and seat, plus you never know what else could have been wrong with it, and hiddened. I took my time an got a sweet deal. I bought my car in prestine condition. I paid 38,900k before taxes. Try an be patient. Have your funds available and when the right car comes along at the right price pull the trigger.
Mods
Two k&n filters.
Two hi-flow cats.
Secondary cats still on.
Resonator removed.
And a little bit of luck
On factory stock 19'' rims and Bridgestone tires.
12.07 @ 117.8 MPH.

Last edited by phantom1; 01-04-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:27 PM

w212 E63 / 996tt
[QUOTE=phantom1;3881453]I wouldn't be so bummed out. I think 49k is bit too high, especially with damaged wheels and seat, plus you never know what else could have been wrong with it, and hidden. I took my time an got a sweet deal. I bought my car in pristine condition. I paid 38,900k before taxes. Try an be patient. Have your funds available and when the right car comes along at the right price pull the trigger.
QUOTE]

I didn't pay 49.
The dynamic seats have just been repaired under warranty. The leather does have a bit of wear.

All the rims were refinished and look good as new.

As for hidden problems...Thx for your lovely wishes!

I'm just hoping the car is healthy in the HP department.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:26 AM

E63
So you are the one... They told me that someone traded in an e55 for it. good for you - hope you enjoy the car!
Old 01-05-2010, 06:38 PM

several
[quote=Roseylv;3881516]
Originally Posted by phantom1
I wouldn't be so bummed out. I think 49k is bit too high, especially with damaged wheels and seat, plus you never know what else could have been wrong with it, and hidden. I took my time an got a sweet deal. I bought my car in pristine condition. I paid 38,900k before taxes. Try an be patient. Have your funds available and when the right car comes along at the right price pull the trigger.
QUOTE]

I didn't pay 49.
The dynamic seats have just been repaired under warranty. The leather does have a bit of wear.

All the rims were refinished and look good as new.

As for hidden problems...Thx for your lovely wishes!

I'm just hoping the car is healthy in the HP department.
I hope i didn't offend you, and i certainly don't wish anything bad on you or your car. I'm just a little skeptical when it comes to buying a car like this. I bought several cars in the pass and did not know the warning signs. Things have changed, now i thoroughly inspect the vehical under a microscope before i purchase it. I hope your car is healthy as well.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:41 PM

w212 E63 / 996tt
[QUOTE=phantom1;3882667]
Originally Posted by Roseylv
I hope i didn't offend you, and i certainly don't wish anything bad on you or your car. I'm just a little skeptical when it comes to buying a car like this. I bought several cars in the pass and did not know the warning signs. Things have changed, now i thoroughly inspect the vehical under a microscope before i purchase it. I hope your car is healthy as well.
Water under the bridge!

I totaly understand. I just pulled the trigger and am now crossing my fingers.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:58 PM

IWC CLS55 & ML550
[quote=Roseylv;3882733]
Originally Posted by phantom1

Water under the bridge!

I totaly understand. I just pulled the trigger and am now crossing my fingers.
Congrats! How do you like it?

I love mine and would not change it one bit.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:24 PM

E63
I am having a really hard time not thinking about this car.... I missed it by a day, should have pulled the trigger on newyear's eve. Looking at c63s now...