C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Audio System Upgrade (Keeping Comand Headunit)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS55, 2005 Boxster-S
Dyno - thanks for the response. I was able to find pricing on the AMG E02 upgrade and it's almost $2,100. Dealer still hasn't gotten back to me on install cost but I have a feeling it's not going to be worth the money when looking at $3-3.5K or more. I would have my audio guy install them but dealer says once I open the package there are no returns even if defective so I pretty much have to have dealer install.

When you installed the Dynaudio tweeters did you just swap them with your stock ones running them off the factory amp? My installer wasn't sure if swapping the tweets to run on stock amp would work out and sound better (they also thought it could end up sounding worse based on the HK setup). Also which Dynaudio tweets did you originally go with?
Old 10-11-2010, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
Originally Posted by tzenri
Dyno - thanks for the response. I was able to find pricing on the AMG E02 upgrade and it's almost $2,100. Dealer still hasn't gotten back to me on install cost but I have a feeling it's not going to be worth the money when looking at $3-3.5K or more. I would have my audio guy install them but dealer says once I open the package there are no returns even if defective so I pretty much have to have dealer install.

When you installed the Dynaudio tweeters did you just swap them with your stock ones running them off the factory amp? My installer wasn't sure if swapping the tweets to run on stock amp would work out and sound better (they also thought it could end up sounding worse based on the HK setup). Also which Dynaudio tweets did you originally go with?

really, I would NOT retrofit their full E02 option (except I had it coming as stock with the car) because you need to replace also the AGW and in the end you will not get a much mor epowerful system.

don't get why you shouldn't be able to swap speakers while running your stock amps ... seems your installer is not aware what he is talking about, sorry.
- stock speakers are just normal 4 Ohms speakers coming from our same planet.
- stock amp is just a simple, normal amplifier output stage (it is STmicroelectronic mosfet IC, code TDA7563): you can, in principle, connect at it whatever transducer you want.
- whatever HK setup, a better quality/performing speaker always yield a corresponding result ... except your installer is going to fit an aftermarket tweeter as replacement of a stock mid-low !

TZensry .. it's not rocket science: just take whatever tweeter you may find in your garage and connect it in place of the stock one.
the worst thing that can happen is that you will burn the tweeter if its too under-dimensioned or if you don't bypass it with a similar cap as the one fitted to the stock tw.

btw, I can tell you that as the embedded Logic7 processor cuts itself frequencies for each channel, I ran a DYNaudio MD100/102 tweet without even fitting the cap and it did not burn !
but, as a disclaimer, if you'll do the same it will be at your own risk

I regret I did not take pictures of the really nice work I did myself at fitting those DYns into the stock housing ..

look here how big they are: could you imagine to fit these into the stock housing ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

.. well, it was a totally stealthy job and fitted right exploiting the maximum available space.
and it was the maximum of craftmanship I could ask to do myself.. LOL

Last edited by dyno; 10-11-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:45 PM

2006 CLS55
My cost for the peripheral, speakers, sub and amp were about 1600 and it sounds awesome.
Attached Thumbnails Audio System Upgrade (Keeping Comand Headunit)-043.jpg   Audio System Upgrade (Keeping Comand Headunit)-pch8.jpg  
Old 10-11-2010, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the quick response Dyno - I think my installer was trying to say that they weren't sure if replacing stock tweets for after market tweets would have an improvement over the stock sound due to the HK processor cutting at certain frequencies and / or stock amp not providing enough juice to the new tweets allowing for the full potential of after market tweets. I will use the stock amp spec you provided to see if it covers the necessary frequency and wattage to run the Dynaudios so that it fills more of the mid level sounds that the cabin is missing.

Rick thanks for the response. Did you swap out the front tweets and lows running off the stock amp?

Last edited by tzenri; 10-11-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tzenri
Thanks for the quick response Dyno - I think my installer was trying to say that they weren't sure if replacing stock tweets for after market tweets would have an improvement over the stock sound due to the HK processor cutting at certain frequencies and / or stock amp not providing enough juice to the new tweets not allowing for the full potential of after market tweets. I will use the stock amp spec you provided to see if it covers the necessary frequency and wattage to run the Dynaudios so that it fills more of the mid level sounds that the cabin is missing.

oftenly its much simpler to do something than think at it.
again, if you like playing with your car, try fitting a different speaker, whatever you have or you like and you will discover by yourself if you like the outcome.
it's much simpler than deciding to install a 165 or 172 or 180 or 185mm pulley
Old 10-12-2010, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

... decided to take a few pics

stock is first in the image and appears bigger than it really is: it's about 3cm diameter (magnet, net) vs about 4-4.5cm of the E02 and DYN.
I was surprised to see that E02 has a much thicker magnet than the Dyn.
its capacitor also is much bigger than in the stock one.

Last edited by dyno; 10-12-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

.. obviously, no comparison with the Morel Supremo Piccolo I currently have installed

(these Piccolos were for rear doors but my installer said it would have been overkill ..)

Old 10-12-2010, 11:18 PM

Dyno - thanks for the pics and updates. It's really neat to see the differences between the tweeters. I'll keep you posted on my progress
Old 10-19-2010, 06:05 PM

CLS 55
Replacing Center Dash Speaker

My CLS55 has a crackling noise when I turn up my radio.The audio store advised me that I cannot use any aftermarket speakers because the setup that comes with the factory is not compatible. Is this true?
Old 10-19-2010, 11:31 PM

i used to have crackling from center speaker but i don't anymore.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:20 PM

Lexus GS400
Hi, guys. This is a very informative thread!

Quick question: I am trying to hook up my line out converter. I am trying to get access to the stock subwoofer on the decklid to splice into those signal wires powering the stock subwoofer. Do you guys have any input on how to get access to these wires? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-22-2010, 06:26 AM

Lexus GS400
Never mind! I figured it out. Here is my 4-hour install: https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...ml#post4363932
Old 11-22-2010, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

good to know you already solved ..

in any case, here is a useful link for wiring of all cars: click on bottom of page "install info" and for CLS it shows under CLS63 2008

http://ms8.jbl.com/index.html#/ms-8-demo
Old 12-14-2011, 01:00 PM

Bump for anyone that is thinking of upgrading their audio system. Dyno, Thanks for all your feedback - I've learned a lot through your responses and am contemplating a full system for my other ride now.

For anyone that is interested - I'm selling my JL HD 750/1 Amp and JL 12w3 (2) sub box in the classified section for $750 OBO. Thanks.

Last edited by tzenri; 12-14-2011 at 01:17 PM.