Question on Adding 1 Quart of Mobil 1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 CLS55 AMG
Question on Adding 1 Quart of Mobil 1

Hey everyone,

My '06 CLS55 AMG has 14k on it, and this morning I received a warning beep stating to 'add 1 qt of oil at next refueling'. Since these things do not have a dipstick, am I to blindly trust the computer and dump 1 qt of M1 5W-40 in? Or should I check the dash readout and add based on that?

Just never had a vehicle without a dipstick so I want some extra assurance before putting a quart in there. Thanks!
Old 06-21-2010, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
They're pretty accurate. Just let it check itself when you're on a flat surface and it'll tell you exactly how many quarts you'll need.

The 55 n/a and the 55k engines like to eat a bit of oil when driven hard so no worries.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:59 AM

I don't think its common for our cars to burn oil. You should check for valve cover gasket leak as this is a common issue and could explain the loss of oil.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:15 AM

'06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by RLx02
They're pretty accurate. Just let it check itself when you're on a flat surface and it'll tell you exactly how many quarts you'll need.

The 55 n/a and the 55k engines like to eat a bit of oil when driven hard so no worries.
Ok, so I have two different perspectives on this. You are saying they eat a bit of oil and nJuDunno saying it shouldn't consume any. Wouldn't a valve cover leak eventually make its way down to the floor, at least a few drops? It is completely dry under my car.

The dash indicator warning said to add 1 quart at next fuel up but the oil level indicator self check said I was '2 quarts from max level'...so how much do I add and is it in fact normal to burn some oil? I know my E39 M5 went through it like crazy. I'm not expecting that, but is some loss normal..yes? no?

edit: what is the best way to check the valve covers, do I pull the rearward plastic piece off the engine (vs the front which exposes the front of the blower?)
Old 06-21-2010, 02:21 PM

'06 CLS55 AMG
Ok someone help me...184 views. Message states add 1 qt at next fuel up but self check states 2 qts for maximum fill level.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML63
Here's my take 2 qt's from max saves what it says. Adding one quart would put you in the middle of the dip stick if you had one. We all know that to much oil is the worst thing you can do so in the middle is where i would want to be not at the top or at max level.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:00 PM

'06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Roverron
Here's my take 2 qt's from max saves what it says. Adding one quart would put you in the middle of the dip stick if you had one. We all know that to much oil is the worst thing you can do so in the middle is where i would want to be not at the top or at max level.
Thanks Roverron, this is exactly what I was thinking, to play it safe with the 1 quart. I spoke to my soon to be Merc tech and she said something that I hadn't thought of - that possibly the indy dealer (high end) I bought it from slightly underfilled it and that the 55 shouldn't burn too much oil. In any case, I am going to check the valve gaskets for leaks, then fill one quart to be in the safe zone and get a full inspection from these guys. Between now and then, I will see if I get any sort of message. The more I think about it, the more I like the slightly underfill theory!

You guys that complain about having dipsticks in the 63's you are lucky! I have to rely on a computer to tell me how much oil I have, and that computer can't tell me which color family it is in!!! AMBER, BROWN, DARK BROWN, MEDIUM BROWN???

Trending Topics

Old 06-21-2010, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Originally Posted by HeatSoak
Thanks Roverron, this is exactly what I was thinking, to play it safe with the 1 quart. I spoke to my soon to be Merc tech and she said something that I hadn't thought of - that possibly the indy dealer (high end) I bought it from slightly underfilled it and that the 55 shouldn't burn too much oil. In any case, I am going to check the valve gaskets for leaks, then fill one quart to be in the safe zone and get a full inspection from these guys. Between now and then, I will see if I get any sort of message. The more I think about it, the more I like the slightly underfill theory!

You guys that complain about having dipsticks in the 63's you are lucky! I have to rely on a computer to tell me how much oil I have, and that computer can't tell me which color family it is in!!! AMBER, BROWN, DARK BROWN, MEDIUM BROWN???
Keep driving and talking about adding oil. After a while, you may need an engine. Just follow the German Instructions and add the oil.

I hope you know which Mobil 1 quart of oil to add. If not, ask the question.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:29 PM

'06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by m_berman
Keep driving and talking about adding oil. After a while, you may need an engine. Just follow the German Instructions and add the oil.

I hope you know which Mobil 1 quart of oil to add. If not, ask the question.
I am adding M1 5w-40 ESP MB Spec full synthetic. You seem to be under the impression that I'm not going to add the oil, I just don't know how much to trust the computer - don't the sensors sometimes break? Could it be possible that I'm not down all that oil, and that filling the 2 quarts would be catastrophic?
Old 06-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
1) Since you are at 14k miles when was your last service?
2) Did you experience oil loss previously, prior to service?
3) Who did it? Stealer or Indy?
4) Its been known to short change the customer but bill him for full.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:09 PM

'06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
1) Since you are at 14k miles when was your last service?
2) Did you experience oil loss previously, prior to service?
3) Who did it? Stealer or Indy?
4) Its been known to short change the customer but bill him for full.
Ok then - added 1 quart about an hour ago and the message when measuring still says 'add 2 quarts to reach max level'. This is after starting the car and taking it for a drive. What the **** is going on? And no dipstick to check the level either!

I've only had the car for 1500 miles, bought off merc/bmw private dealer who told me the oil was changed prior to me picking it up.

Any ideas? I'm afraid to add the second quart if the first one didn't have any effect.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:11 AM

ML63
Is it still saying that you need a quart? Or just that it's 2 quarts to max? You can order a MB dipstick if that will make you happy. But if the car is not telling you to add a quart then you should be fine. Don't keep adding oil. And if you are super worried take it in for an oil change at a dealer. The $ you spend will ease your mind.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:25 AM

'06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Roverron
Is it still saying that you need a quart? Or just that it's 2 quarts to max? You can order a MB dipstick if that will make you happy. But if the car is not telling you to add a quart then you should be fine. Don't keep adding oil. And if you are super worried take it in for an oil change at a dealer. The $ you spend will ease your mind.
Ok so here's the latest update. I went to the measurement feature in the message center yet again (this morning) and it now says 'add 1.5 quarts to reach max level'. So adding 1 quart yielded a reduction in the required amount to reach max level by only .5 quarts. - from 2 to 1.5, another wtf moment. At least the amount has gone down, but doesn't 2 -1 = 1??

I have not driven since so I will have to see tomorrow if the intermittent warning goes away (I expect it to, since I added the quart last night). Roverron I am going to do exactly what you said, that is to get an oil change and read the invoice looking for 9 quarts and know I have the proper amount. FYI, the car does run like a freakin monster.

Yes I do absolutely hate the fact that there's no dipstick. At least to serve as a redundant mechanical check should the message center confuse the hell out of the operator.

Last edited by HeatSoak; 06-22-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:17 PM

When my valve covers were leaking I never saw any oil on the floor in the garage, I guess it always burned off while driving.

As another member said you can always buy a dipstick from the dealer, they probably don't cost too much and could be useful if you have issues again.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:34 PM

'06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by nJuDunno
When my valve covers were leaking I never saw any oil on the floor in the garage, I guess it always burned off while driving.

As another member said you can always buy a dipstick from the dealer, they probably don't cost too much and could be useful if you have issues again.
Valve covers were dry upon inspection, FWIW. Two weeks from now I have a full inspection from the MB dealer separate from where I purchased, this will include inspections of the oil level sensor, IC pump, etc. I will then take the vehicle back to the dealer where I purchased if anything is found to be wrong. I will also include a list of specific items I want them to check. I will also have the oil changed.

My warning message went away. Car pulls like a mother f'er.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:37 AM

ML63
Here is the part number for the dipstick in a 550 {A2730100072} in case your thinking about one. I feel safe with the digital one.