C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

oil change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG
oil change

is it ok to get oil changed at a jiffy lube or do you need to go do the dealer?
Old 12-20-2010, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Lincoln LS V8
I wouldn't recommend JL. To last the 12,000 mi oil change intervals, MB uses a fleece filter. JL will probably use a paper filter, which can disintegrate in that time frame. You can see pictures of this here.

Also, I've personally had bad experiences with previous cars at JL (e.g. cross-threaded oil filters). I'm not saying every JL technician is careless, or that there aren't careless MB techs out there, but JL techs are more likely to be rushed and focus more on getting the job done quickly than getting it done right.

Lastly, these are very complicated cars. An oil change tech isn't going to do all or the checks that a MB tech will check during an A/B service.

If you're looking to save money, you could look for independent shops who specialize in Mercedes. They're usually cheaper than the dealership, but still a lot more knowledgeable about your car than a quick-lube shop.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:10 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
---
Or change it yourself....but I wouldn't take it to a "quick oil change" type place. If you do end up taking it there, confirm they have the proper oil weight and you probably wanna bring your own filter. I bought several from RM European for about $10-12 each.