HID: headlights and Fogs suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e63s
Talking HID: headlights and Fogs suggestions

Gents,
As many of you have seen this site is extremely outdated with current information. I have searched and most results are from 2-4 years ago. Does anyone have a good suggestion to increase the lighting output and not look so "ricey".

I am looking to go from the boring 3500k ish look of our CLS to a more vibrant white for both heads and fogs. With out triggering any codes and as simple as possible.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Steven-
Old 09-09-2013, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG
Hey SIN3,

I recommend going with 6k aftermarket HID's. That's what I will be installing on my CLS55 and I think the color is perfect, however 'perfect' is subjective. As for the fogs, I think I read somewhere that once a car is equipped with HID's, fog lights are not a necessity (I do not know the validity of this, though). With that in mind, the fogs can be replaced with something more eloquent, such as DRL strips (which I am planning on doing, too).

I am told the installation for HID headlights is fairly simple, so I don't think it's necessary to take the car somewhere if you're good at DIY and feel comfortable with the task. Best of luck with whatever you plan to do!
Old 09-10-2013, 09:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
I highly suggest/recommend you going with 8000k for your lowbeam and 10,000k for your fog lights, This will give it a nice diamond white with a hint of blue for lowbeam and a nice icy/deep sea blue for foglights, looks outstanding at night and highly exotic. I have 8000k headlights and 12000k foglights, foglights are a deep blue/purple color, going to switch to 10,000k foglights once these burn out. Here are some pictures
Old 09-16-2013, 10:09 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 CLS550
Steven, I was just considering this exact question today. Thanks for asking it for me.

Ben, thanks for the info, I've swapping out the external lights (license, side markers, etc) for LEDs and want a diamond white light for the headlights. You answered my exact questions with the temperatures I need. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS, Grand Cherokee, Range Rover HSE, 70 cuda 440+6
Only run 6000k kit, and get ultra white led for parking lights. Looks factory with a tinge of blue, anything higher number will look too blue or way to purple.. I did it looks great
FYI : the higher the number is NOT THE BRIGHTER THE LIGHT!! Just used for color . Brightest light is a 3000 or 3500 but I like the 6000
Old 09-17-2013, 07:22 PM

Chevy Cavalier(206,000 miles)
I have a headlight that just went out. It's there anything I should know before replacing it?

Where can I get a bulb from?

Thanks!!
Old 09-18-2013, 10:06 AM

2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by val69
I have a headlight that just went out. It's there anything I should know before replacing it?

Where can I get a bulb from?

Thanks!!
The lowbeam bulb size is a D2S bulb, make sure when replacing it you have to put the bulb into the ballest first before connecting the fuse to the ballest, there is a clib that will not allow the bulb to lock into the ballest if the fuse is clipped in, its a real headache without knowing this. Took me a while to put them in myself anyways, you can get them from ebay , make sure your bulbs are halogen or not before buying..
Old 09-20-2013, 01:56 AM

e63s
thank you gents. I am still doing some additional data searching.... will post pics for the best results. thanks.

s-
Old 01-03-2014, 01:09 AM

e63s
any updates on this gents? I am still looking into what kit to buy. Any suggestions or is it just a quick bulb replacement?
Old 01-03-2014, 11:48 AM

2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
I STRONGLY recommend using The Retrofit Source for your headlights. Comparisons have been done for them vs. OEM Philips, and their Morimoto bulbs have equivalent performance and longevity, at about half the cost. Plus, the colors are right on. I got 5000K for a white look and I'm replacing my lenses next with optically clear lenses. They have tons of good info on the "Research" (or is it Resource?) section, and you can compare different bulbs, lenses (not a simple modification, but great info), ballasts, etc.

If you just want to replace a single bulb and want to closely match your factory headlight you want a 4300K bulb, or if you want a little more white, go with 5000K. To add a hint of blue, go with 6000K. Anything above 6000K starts really cutting down on the light output, not to mention that our eyes don't pick up on the blue/purple spectrum like we do with white or even yellow.

I don't recommend doing HIDs in your foglights. It is possible, but if your car lights up one side or the other with the steering input (my car does), then you'll quickly ruin the fog HIDs. Additionally, the light output of foglight housings is very different from the optics in a main beam. They are designed to disperse light more broadly, as to be able to penetrate fog better. As driving lights, they'll be obnoxious and dangerous to oncoming drivers. As foglights for penetrating fog, they are too bright and will reflect a lot of glare back at you, making them less effective anyway.

That's my view, and I applaud your patience in asking around before just slapping in the first thing you found on eBay. The Morimoto bulbs in D2S are like $25-$30 for a pair on The Retrofit Source's website, and they come with a really good warranty. I put the 5000K D2S's in my wife's ML as well, and even she has mentioned how much she loves how bright and white they are. I'm not affiliated with the Retrofit Source in anyway, but I've been doing HID's in cars for almost 8 years, and used to buy them for almost $1000. I've had a tough time finding reputable sources for them, who you can expect will be around to cover warranty issues. TRS has been around a while, and all of the products I've gotten from them have been stellar, or the exchange process has been easy.

-Brad

I'll also be posting my DIY for my DRL install inside my headlights with photos on my C Class soon. I'm tackling the project on Saturday. That will give you an idea of colors of lights when I get the photos posted.

Last edited by hondafan; 01-03-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:49 AM

e63s
Thank you for the information. I am still looking into this? Anyone have any feed back? now with Day light savings kicking in. This isn't such a priority. time for other mods!
Old 03-22-2014, 01:00 PM

2016 C63S Sedan
I still recommend you getting HID lights , the bulbs are so cheap who cares if they burn out 8-12 months later , there like 9$ for both lowbeam and 15$ for the foglights, I actually changed my fog lights down to 10,000k from 12,000k it's actually a very nice bright white/blueish, my lowbeams are still 8000k and are white with a hint of blue, gives the Car a great look when coming down the steet and as well as visibility ?? I have ton of light on the road and I am happy with that .. If you ever plan on taking your car out to the city at nights or the beach or any popular area I suggest
You get some exotic colors on your lights .. You have the exotic car why not put some exotic lights
Old 06-01-2014, 01:13 AM

e63s
I like the way you think Big.. any pics of your set up?

thanks Gents

s-