C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Bought a salvage CLS55 (A story for your entertainment..)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 10:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2007 Audi A8, 2006 Porsche 911 C2S, 2006 CLS55 AMG
Bought a salvage CLS55 (A story for your entertainment..)

Bought a salvage CLS55.

I have been mostly been a BMW guy. E36 E-Series, E39 5-Series, X5, and recently sold my E46 M3 and bought a Porsche 911 (997) that I only drive for pleasure (not commuting) at this point. None were/are salvage. Thought about getting a BMW E60 M5 as a DD, and then watched some Youtube videos about their (lack of) reliability (VANOS, a grenade living in your motor full time, et al.) One of those videos also had a MB-tech that touted the reliability of the M113K motor in the "55" series AMG cars (5.4L SC) as being fairly bulletproof, sans some electrical gremlins.

I did some eBay searches (not serious, just looking) and saw this one. Hope the link still works. If it doesn't I'll post some pics later:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Mercede...72.m2749.l2649

I watched the auction for a few days and was invested (at least in watching the auction.) No reserve, guessing where it would land. My guess was around $8K. The night it ended (at 10PM my time) -- I had a few drinks and decided after watching for so long I needed to at least participate (it was at $6K an hour before ending.) I bid $7K just to be outbid (in my mind) and have something to talk about at the watercooler at work the next day. Didn't happen, I won @ $6,900. What did I do? Rolled over in bed, tried to figure how to tell my wife, and went to sleep. I live in Ohio, the car was in Virginia -- figuring the logistics was the next step.

Disclaimer: No PPI, no real legwork on the car on my end. Straight emotional thing -- have a drink and bid was my strategy. Feel free to tell me I'm an idiot (admittedly, I am) but it supposedly runs/drives and passed a rebuilt inspection of the basics in the state of Virginia.

From here, I move on execute the transation: Get the cashiers check, book a one-way flight to Richmond, Va, take a day off work, etc. Once I get down there I drive the car. Seems OK. Needs an alignment. Pulls strong. It's chipped up cosmetically but no glaring mechanical issues. I pay the dealer and ask, "now that you're paid -- do you know the story on the salvage title -- what happened?" Given the cars history I was thinking flood damage, but that was not the case. The seller told me the car was involved in a "domestic dispute" and went further to tell me he had pictures if I was interested. I was!

Short version: Someone did something to someone else that was majorly PO'ed and went Babe Ruth on this car. There was not a single body panel, piece of glass, or side mirror that went unscathed. Here you go:

For me, this was a "good thing" in so much that it wasn't in a flood and I wouldn't antipate frame damage or something major going forward. I was pleased and started my drive home (about 10 hours drive.)

I made it from VA, to WVA, through Maryland, and into PA. The check engine light came on (now I'm worried about getting plates/registered) and a headlight went out (and I'm driving at night.) Got irritated enough to get a hotel just into PA and called it a night. Next morning (a Saturday) I got up around 6AM and started home, which was about 4 hours remaining. After a few miles, the check engine light went out. For the headlight, I figured I could swap parts from one side to the other to find the culprit, buy a ballast or bulb, and move forward. I was feeling good!

Until this:

Blew it out doing 75MPH on the PA Turnpike. Freaked me out. If you're observant (the eBay add) -- you will notice the car has new tires (it does/did) and also no spare. Time to get a tow.

The guy towing the car recommended a place for a replacement tire so we went there. Unfortunately, they didn't have the size required so we towed the car a second time to a Chevrolet dealership. No dice there either. I don't recall the exact size -- but it was a 18" fairly wide tire (I think this is the non-AMG size, which should be a 19" -- but I couldn't argue with the wheels on the car..!) Eventually, the guy towing the car (that already went above and beyond -- towing it twice) let me know we had to leave the car there so he could get back to the turnpike and helping other people. I get that and asked if he could at least drop me at a diner we saw along the way. He did.

At the diner, I sat at the counter and believe that everyone there knew everyone else there -- except me. Very rural area of PA (Bedford, PA.) I'm Googling/calling any and all tire shops trying to find a tire nearby that the Chevy dealer can mount/balance to get me on my way.

No luck -- but others at the diners overhear my struggle. After about an hour (and a lot of coffee -- I am absolutely stranded) I think the entire place is trying to help me. The waitresses boyfriend knows about tires -- let's call him, etc. Guys at the counter are recommending places to call (no dice.) Ultimately, this tire size has no godly place in Bedford, PA on a Saturday -- and Bedford is OK with that. My focus shifts from replacing the tire and getting home -- to simply getting home without the car (and figuring it out later.) I call my wife and discuss options (she is not pleased.) My best plan is to Uber to Pittsburgh (about 1:45, one way) and have her meet me there. $200-some bucks; we discuss options for a while and hang up. Another guy at 'the counter in the diner" -- Jim -- overhears this and says: "Y'know what -- I'll drive ya to Pittsburg."

Keep in mind, this is 1:40 one way -- three hours+ roundtrip for him -- away. I say, "that is too much to ask" and he tells me (I'll never forget) -- that he's got nothing going on, but more importantly his sister is in town. Verbatim, "she's family, so I love her -- but I sure don't like her" and I'd be doing him a favor getting him out of the house.

We leave the diner and get in Jim's truck -- which is about as road-worthy as 3-wheeled Mercedes. He recommends changing cars -- his son has a Nissan that is better suited for the trip. We make that change.

I know a lot about Jim as a result of our drive. Military veteran, worked as a bouncer at a country bar in Texas. Trying to buy the family farm to keep in it the family as his mom is becoming too old to maintain it. There is more I won't share.

Jim got me to Pittsburgh. My wife met me there and I picked up the car a week later once the tire (and unfortunately wheel) was replaced. I did stop at the diner on the way back but didn't see Jim.

Long story short -- I was trying to buy/get a car home and found something else entirely. A big thank you to Jim -- but I think the entire town of Bedford is similar. Good, generous people -- which are harder and harder to find -- are alive and well there. I'll leave it here for now..!

The following 4 users liked this post by Rodie:
dlawj15 (07-25-2019), Feuerdrachen (10-09-2019), PapaChop83 (05-06-2019), RobSmith (04-25-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 11:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG
Lol good story nice read thanx for sharing
Old 05-06-2019, 12:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2004 CLK 55 AMG, 2012 Mazda 5
Good read! Sounds like quite the adventure - how's the car working out so far?
Old 05-07-2019, 07:24 PM

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts
2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Great story. Thanks for sharing it. Hope the "new" car works out for you...
Old 05-10-2019, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Somebody swapped wheels with an E55
CLS is a great car, but will cost you a fortune if you don't understand it.
Most of the info is on the E55 forum (same car, different body style) Assuming you have an AMG
Old 05-10-2019, 07:09 PM

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
E55 amg
Nice story but you bought a pile of trash ...
Old 05-10-2019, 07:28 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

So far, so (relatively) good. I've put about 4,000 miles on it without major issue. I did have to put an EVAP shutoff valve in to clear a check engine light (it was about $60) but that is about it -- aside from replacing the rear tires in the blowout driving it home. I'm frustrated with the COMMAND system (laggy, low volume AUX input, no Bluetooth) but aside from that I enjoy driving it quite a bit and love the power. It does run really well.

Costing a fortune: Yeah, I'm most concerned about Airmatic -- what else should I be concerned about? My impression was the M113K itself was pretty solid from a reliability standpoint. Some of the other stuff (dynamic seats is one thing) -- I don't really care if they work or not.

Pile of trash: Could be, I guess we'll see. I put $7K on it and worst case I figure could sell it as a parts car for 3-4K less. It's a third car for me and not particularly necessary for any practical reason. Guess I'm just the right buyer...!

Thanks all for reading and the feedback!
Rodie
Old 05-11-2019, 03:46 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2004 CLK 55 AMG, 2012 Mazda 5
I agree - pile of trash is a little harsh. If you're willing to do the work yourself, source parts carefully, and it's not a daily driver, who cares? For $7k I'd have snagged it too.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soon to be E55
Great Story Rodie!!!
Funny I was looking at doing doing similiar. I also like to buy "project" vehicles but mostly older American cars. I have been drooling over the 55 series AMG's after I found out about them when I briefly had a 09 BMW 535xi that also was a project car. I am also eyeing a project CLS55 but this one has front body damage. I too worry about the suspension hearing that they are expensive to repair but don't know what are the actual issues and are parts rebuildable/repairable, used parts available or have to buy new replacements.

Looking back are you still glad you started on the journey?
Old 05-18-2019, 08:20 PM

Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
CLS55
Front struts most problematic they 360 each remanufactured from rockauto. Rear bags are a problem sometimes too. The front struts piece of cake to replace I do them in 30mins tops in my driveway
Old 05-20-2019, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Nice story and a good buy. If you can make it nice with total cost of $12K is worth it.
I have my CLS55 for 5 years, very solid reliable. It has 103,000 miles now. I paid a lot more and I don't see any other car has the same good value in performance and style !
It's a very unique car. I love the W219 way better than W218.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK32
Hey! I’m pretty sure I just purchased this exact car from Bedford, VA as a “salvage/flood” car. Do you have anymore info on it??!! If so do you know the VIN, I’m headed to pick it up Monday lol. I’m in it much cheaper than you were ($3900) but it supposedly isn’t running right now?? Any info would greatly appreciated!!

ps. This thread is about to get very interesting if it is indeed the same car. How many “salvage” black cls55 amg cars with the badges swapped to cls63 cars are out there??? Lol

Last edited by Tyler Jordan; 09-29-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:18 PM

Must be more than one!! Still have mine and it’s in the road...! Good luck with yours — I’d do it again!

Originally Posted by Tyler Jordan
Hey! I’m pretty sure I just purchased this exact car from Bedford, VA as a “salvage/flood” car. Do you have anymore info on it??!! If so do you know the VIN, I’m headed to pick it up Monday lol. I’m in it much cheaper than you were ($3900) but it supposedly isn’t running right now?? Any info would greatly appreciated!!

ps. This thread is about to get very interesting if it is indeed the same car. How many “salvage” black cls55 amg cars with the badges swapped to cls63 cars are out there??? Lol
Old 09-30-2019, 07:02 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
CLS55
A silver 63 with 403k miles sold for 6k on ebay a little while back. Lots of crazy stuff is out there if you look.

Last edited by coupesedan; 09-30-2019 at 07:05 PM.