C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Hydraulic Lifters clicking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 06:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS55 AMG 06
Hydraulic Lifters clicking

So I bought the cls55 with 99k miles I put on around 1000 and the lifters on the passenger side started clicking, my father hastily/ took it to a mechanic friend that specializes with mercedes. Ok so they want 4800$ to replace the lifters, the man I bought it from said he replaced the lifters on the driver side and so its obvious the sound is coming from the passenger side. I have done hours of research on the rocker arms and hydaulic lifters inside both the intake/exhaust rocker arms/lifters, and understand that there can be 2 issues that happen.

1. The oil pressure is not at a fair pressure/ the rocker ports are clogged and not letting oil to the lifters.
2. The rocker arms themselfs have some play to them and pivot left and right and will lead to major issues as a result/ along with the bearings on the rocker being scored. I understand that because the m113k engine does not have variable vavle timing that usually the main issue inside the engine comes from the lifters and are common and not a major concern.

So my question is should I tell this mechanic to **** off and replace the induvidual rocker arm/arms that are an issue and or the induvidual lifters that are at fault after testing of course*, or test the oil pressue and potentially add a oil pressure sensor(Please link a oil pressure sensor/reader that is good quality if so) to test if that could be the cause first. Thank you I know my writing is kinda all over the place but I understand the issue and how this engine functions inside and out and dont want to pay some ******* an insane amount to do somewhat simple work(its not like the rockers are at the bottom of the engine, they are at the top :p)Thank you all for reading, ill be talking to the guy on thursday to discuss this further.

Last edited by Rpkxnoscope; 09-10-2019 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:24 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
07 GL450, 91 NSX, 12 Prius
Try Liqui Moly Hydraulic lifter additive? 2 pack for $19 on amazon. you will need 2 bottle for the 9 qt of oil in the CLS55. At under $20 prob wouldnt hurt to try. I have used Liqui Moly MOS 2 additive on all my german cars with good result to quiet engine sound. This is especially noticeable with BMW engines.
The following users liked this post:
Rpkxnoscope (09-12-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 10:39 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
2019 AMG E53 Cabriolet
Another option is a $9 bottle of Seafoam that you can pick up in any automotive store. Pour 1/2 bottle where you add oil, the other 1/2 bottle into your gas tank.
Rpkxnoscope (09-12-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 11:47 PM

CLS55 AMG 06
Thank you for the suggestions, I put stp oil stabilizer in the engine the 2nd day the car starting clicking and it made the car stop clicking at idle, when I step on the gas still it will rattle/click, I will go ahead and buy the Liqui Moly Hydraulic lifter additive that you have suggested and a few others have suggested to me to see if this fixes the problem, if not Ill go ahead and replace the lifters on the passenger side. The final estimate from the mechanic was $10,000 yes 10k for the lifter replacement/steering rack/front left shock/rear air bags/2 sway bar end links thats it. This didnt even include the front lower control arms that has ****ed bushings/tire rod with shot bushing/the alignment and adjustments needed for the after market upper contrtol arms and some more, what a joke how they want to rip me off. All these parts and a few more are going to cost me around 2500-2800$ for all the parts compared to their $7000 part list that doesnt include half of the parts, im going to fix the car myself as I always had, besides I knew these ****s would try to gouge me like this I wasint the one that took it to the mechanicc it was my father, but now he understands the parts/the price and how it can be fixed compared to the outrageous cost they estimated, thank you all ill update this post after adding the liqui molly.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:52 AM

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
W124 260E
FKHONG 777 Just what i was about to tell poster RPKX . My own W124 was ticking but not too bad . .I checked up and found this lifter additive on Ebay .Its made to clean out the hydraulic lifters . Over time they can build up inside restricting the oil flow. I did my normal oil change and put a tin of the Liqui Moly in with the new oil and filter . For a time i never noticed any change in the tappet noise .I thought at the time it was a waste of cash. Now this year it was time to change the oil again after 6 months and only 50 miles of use ... I went through the same plan as i did on the last oil change again and i purchased another tin of Liqui Moly .Then after a day or two i listened to the engine i could hear nothing . My friend said at the time she runs like a sowing machine . I thought the same as he did .Thanks to Liqui Moly it worked for me . I now have i tin of said product taking room up on my garage shelf. Worth you picking up a tin of the LiqiMoly and give it a try first .
Rpkxnoscope (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 12:55 PM

CLS55 AMG 06
Thanks for the insight optimus! I bought 10quarts of Mobil 1 m spec 5w40 oil, 2 cans of 300ml liqui molly lifter oil, and an oil filter for my m113k yesturday off amazon, since I'm not sure what oil the previous owner was using I'm going to do a full oil change along with filter and add a tin or 2 of the molly to the engine. Any recomendations on how much molly to put in? again ill have 2 300ml cans thx.1 last question if I were to replaced the hydraulic lifters would I need to drain the oil before doing them I'm not sure and cant seem to find an answer.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:54 AM

W124 260E
Rpkxnoscope Only put the right quantity in. You need to use the right amount in your engine read the instructions on the tin . Might be to much if you add 2 tins . Lot of information on youtube on this additive check it out .
Old 12-06-2019, 04:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carlsson CM60 EX:C36AMG'96
@Rpkxnoscope Any results?
Did it work in the end?
Old 12-06-2019, 04:40 AM

W124 260E
I would do a good engine fush , The STP is very thick oil,, and not for your type of engine ,.It wants removing with a good flushing oil to get rid of the thick STP thats blocking up hydraulic tappets and then re fill along with a new filter .D use the right oil , And then after this flush the oil will reach into those hydraulic tappets and stop the tick. If you have ever put the normal oil in to a engine that should have synthetic it will sound the same .The oil is to thick to lubricate the hydraulic tappets ,
Old 12-06-2019, 12:27 PM

CLS55 AMG 06
Originally Posted by optimusprime m1
I would do a good engine fush , The STP is very thick oil,, and not for your type of engine ,.It wants removing with a good flushing oil to get rid of the thick STP thats blocking up hydraulic tappets and then re fill along with a new filter .D use the right oil , And then after this flush the oil will reach into those hydraulic tappets and stop the tick. If you have ever put the normal oil in to a engine that should have synthetic it will sound the same .The oil is to thick to lubricate the hydraulic tappets ,
The car still ticks with the additive but not at idle, I am going to flush the oil tomorrow with 10w40 instead of the 5w40 I have in now and see if the thicker oil stops the tick, I also have an oil pressure gauge and the psi gets as low as 10-7 psi which is too low, on cold start the psi is at 70 and does not tick at all, also when revving to 3k the ticking also stops completely. I'm going to do the oil change before the oil pump o ring replacement but hopefully a thicker oil might just stop the damn ticking :P
Old 12-06-2019, 02:09 PM

W124 260E
Its the thicker oil thats causing this.Do read my post again . You have small holes that the synthetic oil will penetrate buy thick oil wont .Check out on youtube,just how to flush your engine ......./
Old 12-07-2019, 01:09 PM

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 E 300 Coupe and 2019 GLS 400
My E55 ticked badly. One mechanic said its the bottom-end, another bloke said it is the lifters. One bottle of Chevron Techron Concentrate additive cured the ticking completely, carbon knock was the cause. I even saw a big black cloud out the exhaust at WOT during the treatment.

Good luck.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:25 AM

W124 260E
Yes good but i dont think this product is avaliable in Beexit land .. But thicker oil will not solve posters problem .