C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

New M113K build “”Brute” please share your thoughts.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 CLS55 also 2011 ML350
New M113K build “”Brute” please share your thoughts.

So, here it starts! I have had my 06’ CLS55 for a couple years and it has been great. Raw power and thrust, but I know it can be even better. I am mechanically inclined and plan on doing everything myself, I have a Bendpak hoist and lots of tools. However I have never done “performance” oriented modifications, only maintenance stuff. I have been learning from the hundreds of posts I have read on this site, but I still have some questions and would appreciate any guidance that can be provided.
My car has 65,000 miles, and I don't know the maintenance history, so I assume just about everything is original. With this build I want to perform a major service, replacing many OE “maintenance” items with high performance pieces. I want to maintain reliability and greatly improve driveability (mainly acceleration!).
I am going to a local dyno here in Vancouver Canada, and plan on at least 3 pulls.
1st, stock, no mods.
2nd with OE tune only
3rd, with all mods done.
Should be interesting to compare.
I have already purchased some of the goodies including:
-Workshop manual on 4 discs.
-20” Carlsson CR-11s and Hancook tires with H&R spacers (appearance, not necessarily performance)
-Spectre 9832 housing with 4” inlet/5” body, and Hi-flow air filters, to improve cold air intake system.
-OE tune and My Genius.
-Transmission module with Race IQ tune.
-77mm UPD clutched pulley.
-Belt wrap plus 5 piece billet idler set from UPD
-Synthetic motor oil, filter, and crush washers
-Transmission level dipstick

Planned improvements:
-Repair leaking valve covers.
-Install Thermalnator” gaskets on supercharger.
-Installing oil pressure gauge, with alarm, to monitor for the dreaded oil pump tube
“O-Ring” failure.
-High performance tune from OE.
-TCU tune from Race IQ.
-Injen X-pedal throttle controller? Comments?
-Service Transmission including:
change fluid, filter, gasket, pilot bushing, wiring harness spacer, plug, and instal larger capacity finned transmission pan.
-Considering a performance valve body (VRP or southern in the future)
-Considering a 3000 stall torque converter (future)
-Considering limited slip differential (future)
-Secondary air block off plates.
-Motor and transmission mounts (black series, or Maybach?) comments?
-Poly suspension bushings.
-Lowered on Adjustable links.
-Adjustable rear camber arms.

More Intake Air.
-Spectre 9832 With Hi-flow airfilters
-Is there any way to improve the narrow intake beside the radiator on the drivers side? I would like to use 3.5” or 4” tubing (wrapped in heat shield material) where possible and larger “Y” pipe.

More exhaust.
- Planning on long tube headers and “X” pipe, all wrapped in heat shield material, using stock mufflers/resonators,
I understand there may be a performance improvement with the added backpressure of the 200 cel Cats, over the Cat delete option? If there was no difference, I would go with the cats to be more environmentally responsible. Ebay offers $766, no cats(Flaremotorsports) or $1020 w/ 200 cels (bigdawgtuning). Also wondering about adding exhaust “flex” pieces to reduce the risk of cracking. Comments?

More fuel.
-Moving fuel inlet to rear center of the rail, instead of looping? Comments? Adding in a port (or using existing fuel inlet?) for fuel pressure guage?
-Bigger injectors, is 550cc good? Is there a downside to going larger to a 630cc?
the Bosch ev14 seem popular, but is the spray pattern ok, or is there a better option besides the expensive SLR injectors?
-Throttlebody, lots of 82mm around, but some people have hiccup problems, anybody using the huge hellcat 92mm option?
-Replace fuel filter (maintenance), Is it advisable to upgrade to a high performance fuel pump, if so which one? Or just replace OE pump?

More boost:
-77mm clutched pulley, belt wrap kit.
-change supercharger oil.
-anybody using the “thermalnator” supercharger intake gasket?

More cooling of engine and especially for Intake air.
-180* thermostat.
-1 step colder spark plugs and new (Accel?) ignition wire set.
-10* “MB Star” mod to turn on radiator fan at a lower temp.
-Split cooling system.
-Killer Chiller, or Interchiller, (with Drag kit) with a temperature controlled electric “T” valve to switch the water flow from the chiller to an upgraded heat exchanger, (perhaps with additional heat exchanger in front of radiator) for when A/C is off.
-7 gallon “half round, “spare wheel well” trunk tank with rule pump.
- Superpump or Meziere intercooler Circulation pump, wired to “constant on”
-Is my waterpump likely to make it to 100K miles, or change it now at 65K?

So at this piont I will have changed out most maintenance items (spark plugs, ignition wires, thermostat, radiator fluid, transmission fluid, supercharger oil, tires, fuel filter/pump, engine oil and filter, engine, transmission and suspension mounts, etc) probably a good time to change and flush brake fluid, and rear differential oil. Is there any preventative maintenance I can do for the airmatic suspension, like filters or oil?
If there are any suggestions of “while I’m in there” things like sensors, while the exhaust is off for example, that would be appreciated.
I realize this is a very long post and appreciate those who made it to the end and especially those that comment with their expertise!
Any guesses what the final dyno number will be?
I’m hoping for 550whp and 660 torque.
Thanks.

Last edited by jetstream; 08-17-2020 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
1987 190e 2.3-16 sold and missed, 1966 220s, 2016 GL550, 1999 C43, 2006 CLS 55
Seems like a great plan for your baby. I’m in the same boat as you. My car only has 67k now and I want more out of it.

I'm very curious to see what others have to say.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,014 Likes on 787 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
You should post a cross-link in the W211 E55 AMG sub-forum. Lots of gear heads hang out there and the W211 and W219 are essentially the same car. Might be someone there can help you avoid pitfalls.

To answer some of your questions, I replaced my water pump at 150K miles as a preventive maintenance item. It was still okay but the seals were beginning to show signs of seepage. At the same time I replaced the alternator voltage regulator. This post gives the details:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ummary-2k.html

As far as Airmatic, the air compressor has a small filter to be replaced and the rubber hose dry rots over the years. Cheap and easy to replace. Part numbers in linked post.
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post6752613

Old 08-17-2020, 01:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, IWC
Originally Posted by jetstream
With this build I want to perform a major service, replacing many OE “maintenance” items with high-performance pieces. I want to maintain reliability and greatly improve driveability (mainly acceleration!).
in the same boat, couldn't have summarized it better.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:47 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Awesome, that's 3 "New" cls's in the group going down the modding street. Do post your progress and dynos as you go.. Suggest doing a baseline dyno first before you start, it's just nice what each round of mods produces and confirms your butt dyno haha.. My cls is running better than ever and just love this car. I will struggle to ever sell it, hopefully I want ever need to. Good luck guys, going to enjoy reading your threads.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, IWC
@OP - based on your extensive list for your build, and knowing you may do a lot of this yourself, what are you budgeting? Curious.
Thanks.
Old 08-18-2020, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 CLS55 also 2011 ML350
Biild Budget.

For the build, I would like to do it as “economically” as possible. I have about $10,000 CDN ($7,000 USD) Set aside for parts, not including the Carlsson wheels and Hankook tires ($1500 USD) already purchased. I had originally planned for a “clutch delete” supercharger pulley, which would have made the “Killer” or “Active” interchiller and trunk tank just about manditory, but with a clutched pulley, I may forgo that expense “when” (not “if” LOL) I run out of money. I would then better upgrade HX and pump, and split cooling system. I am trying to purchase things in order of importance.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
Forget about the Spectre filters they are restrictive, no need for the 3000 converter,leave the clutched pulley,limited slip is good idea, thermolater gaskets and heat shielding on your intakes not needed air moves so fast thru there don’t make a difference I tested it ,bigger TB I didn’t see,150 valve body from SGA but some don’t like the firmness on the way up and on the way down,extra cooling or killer chiller is good depending on your boost you may not need it , good luck
Old 08-19-2020, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by cnterline
Forget about the Spectre filters they are restrictive, no need for the 3000 converter,leave the clutched pulley,limited slip is good idea, thermolater gaskets and heat shielding on your intakes not needed air moves so fast thru there don’t make a difference I tested it ,bigger TB I didn’t see,150 valve body from SGA but some don’t like the firmness on the way up and on the way down,extra cooling or killer chiller is good depending on your boost you may not need it , good luck
Hi bud, just want to confirm your statement about bigger tb you didn't see a difference? Any more detail on that please. Which size tb did you upgrade to and did not see a difference? So you wouldn't recommend that as an upgrade...
Old 08-19-2020, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
Originally Posted by C32owner
Hi bud, just want to confirm your statement about bigger tb you didn't see a difference? Any more detail on that please. Which size tb did you upgrade to and did not see a difference? So you wouldn't recommend that as an upgrade...

yo BUD

I meant I didn’t see larger throttle body being added but after re reading I see it in another Paragraph
my bad

Last edited by cnterline; 08-19-2020 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by cnterline
yo BUD

I meant I didn’t see larger throttle body being added but after re reading I see it in another Paragraph
my bad
Cool thanks, I see how you meant it now. Ta