C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Whats the BEST way to Launch the C55???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whats the BEST way to Launch the C55???

I know this might sound stupid since its an auto but GOOD LORD this thing has alot of Torque. I mean even under various tests in M, and S mode, I get bogged down in S since the ESP kicks in and M mode as well. With ESP off nothing but tire spin. Had a little fun with my freind and his hopped up M3 yesterday. First couple of times lost badly but thats due to traffic and me not really trying but when I put it into M with ESP off, wow, I was standing still for a couple seconds with nothing but tire spin. I know I'm mashing the throttle to much but whats the correct way?

Off the line he was owning me quite badly but I started to reel him in even with the wheel spin. :v I feel so stupid asking how to luanch an AUTO?! but I came from another car with not even close to as much power as this bad boy has!

AGAIN, I know this car has the potential but damn. I need to learn this car and maybe thought someoen would give me some input. THANKS!
Old 04-04-2005, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
OK, IMHO this is the best way to launch..
1. click on the "search" button on the top, and type "launch"
2. Browse and read the results, learn and practice on it.

Have fun
Old 04-04-2005, 12:59 PM

All joking aside, the best way to launch is going to be different for different people. There seems to be two schools of thought:

(1) ESP on, Xmission in Sport Mode, Shift to 1st. Mash it and let the computer manage the torque and shift for you.

(2) (AKA the holy carnauba wax, batman! method) This method involves growing a pair, which you may or may not have done and may or may not be willing to do. I am not here to make judgments or tell you how to drive. ESP Off, Xmission in Manual mode, Gentle, partial throttle tip-in, smooth throttle inputs, balance wheelspin with forward momentum, slowly progress to pedal to the metal as the car begins to hookup (you will feel like you are getting more traction.

Version 1 is totally safe, good for bracket racing as it tends to be very consistent, but it might not be the fastest out there, since esp is going to dial back your throttle and it will take longer than it should for it to give it back.

Version 2 is wet and wild, expensive on tires, and produces the best runs, with the least consistency (depending on skill, but you have claimed you are a novice at launching a high horsepower vehicle, so I am assuming some things here)

Hope this helps, with advice rather than sarcasm. Take care.

Last edited by rguy; 04-04-2005 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:00 PM

Arrow lol

your funny, try it, tell me what you come up with??

Now MOVING ON for those people THAT ACTUALLY want to HELP? Thanks!
Old 04-04-2005, 01:17 PM

Arrow hey

Thanks rguy

Thats what I was looking for. But in S with ESP on, it still spins the rears a bit, comp jumps in and seriously shuts me down? Loss of time and other guy wins...kinda unitl i catch up that is.

I tried the 2nd method yesterday and man it was on and off. I would nail it sometimes but other times the rears went into "shread tire mode".

BTW, the M was running with Michlin PS2's w/wider rears while I was all stock. I have nothing but confidence in my sled but I just need to learn a bit more on luaching this beat V8. Just wanted to ask before I totally ripped up my tires, hehe

Any other good hinters?
Old 04-04-2005, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
i find it funny that you ask how to stop wheelspin while others on the forum want to learn how to induce wheelspin....my wheels just stop moving when theres any wheelspin at all i hate it!
anyway i only have a 320 engine but when i try to just hit the pedal half way then floor it when the car hits about 20mph its usually the best method..try that lol
Old 04-04-2005, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
ESP off and "roll" the throttle progressively....

to get the best times

Takes a little practice to perfect. Good luck
Old 04-04-2005, 11:09 PM

To elaborate on "pedal feel" it should feel like you are squeezing the accelerator pedal rather than hitting it with a hammer.

Other than that, you will be hit and miss for awhile without ESP until you get it right. Tires will get expensive, but if you are running stock and really want better times, you need to go wider. A LSD wouldn't hurt either, but now you are talking real money for an unknown straightline benefit and a possibly negative handling benefit. Also, that probably kills the drivetrain warranty since it is connected to the bulk of the other parts.