C55 Carbon Fiber Hood?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cars and boats!
Originally Posted by SiLvaC32
well... my VIS hood doesn't have the hood shocks... so i have to lift that shiet everytime i pop my hood...=(
Man, with all the times I have to open my hood for an extended period of time, i need shocks!!

you knwo that little square bump they put so you could screw in these little ***** to pop teh stock shocks on... i modified them, used the screws off a VW and made the shocks fit, the hood works like OEM. Now I just need to find a way to reduce the shock rate b/c the hood jsut pops str8 up FAST when i open it and those shocks rated for the stock hood push that light CF hood up!!
Old 05-24-2005, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Benzo/Silva, I would greatly appreciate a couple of more pieces of info before taking the CF plunge:

Is it true what the VIS site says, that the CF hood weighs about 15 lbs? What was the stock hood weight?

How structurally sound is the CF hood? Would you be comfortable hitting, say, 170 MPH with the CF hood?

Do you think that the unpainted silver CF hood would look "ricey" on a black C32? They make the CF hood in black carbon fiber as well? Which would you guys go with?

Other than the initial purchase expense and the issues with the support shocks, what is the downside of the CF hood (i.e., any vibration/resonation of the hood? increased engine noise?

Thanks alot for the info! This seems like a great mod.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars and boats!
Originally Posted by Vomit
Benzo/Silva, I would greatly appreciate a couple of more pieces of info before taking the CF plunge:

Is it true what the VIS site says, that the CF hood weighs about 15 lbs? What was the stock hood weight?

How structurally sound is the CF hood? Would you be comfortable hitting, say, 170 MPH with the CF hood?

Do you think that the unpainted silver CF hood would look "ricey" on a black C32? They make the CF hood in black carbon fiber as well? Which would you guys go with?

Other than the initial purchase expense and the issues with the support shocks, what is the downside of the CF hood (i.e., any vibration/resonation of the hood? increased engine noise?

Thanks alot for the info! This seems like a great mod.
The CF hood is great but requires you take it to a good bodyshop to patch up what its missing and modify it a bit to fit like OEM. It is definately 1/2 if not less then 1/2 of the weight of the stock hood, w/e the stock hood weights. The hood is reinforced extremely well, that is comparing it to other CF hoods Ive seen on BMWs, Audis, and others. I have hit well over 170mph with the CF hood on and no problems.. its not as light or thin as a honda's CF hood so its pretty secure. No, I dont have hood pins. We modified it to fit just like OEM. Get the black CF hood, I think black CF and black cars looks great...if somebody says its ricey, tell them to go chew bark. I see no downside with having the hood besides the fact that its really lightweight and the hood shocks were made to support a lot more weight. After the CF hood was put onto my car i saw no changes in sound nor did i feel any vibration, I did feel however while taking hard corners taht I had noticably less weight up front. That is my experience for the past 4 to 5 months Ive had the hood. I would love to hear Silva's experience with his.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Has anyone actually weighed the stock (metal) hood?
Old 05-24-2005, 06:20 PM

Stock weight would be awesome. I think we can do this if we get good information and a good guarantee of quality. My color preference is black, to be honest, but I don't know if running two colors is more expensive or not.

What modifications are needed to make it fit like stock, and would these be done prior to shipment? I want to just clearcoat the hood, I don't want to paint it. this should save even more weight and look *****in' too.

Keep up the info. Thanks for the hard work.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Originally Posted by rguy
Stock weight would be awesome. I think we can do this if we get good information and a good guarantee of quality. My color preference is black, to be honest, but I don't know if running two colors is more expensive or not.

What modifications are needed to make it fit like stock, and would these be done prior to shipment? I want to just clearcoat the hood, I don't want to paint it. this should save even more weight and look *****in' too.

Keep up the info. Thanks for the hard work.

Actually, the main reason (for me, at least) for going CF is weight reduction. I am guessing that the stock hood weighs roughly 40 lbs. and that the CF hood weighs roughly 15-20 lbs., but this is a guesstimate. In any case, it seems like the CF switch will drop at least 20 lbs.. Switch the stock battery out for an Optima, and you will have dropped over 50 lbs. of elevated weight. These two mods should substantially improve handling (or return handling to stock, for those of you supercharging your C55).
Old 05-25-2005, 11:17 AM

I don't know if I was misunderstood or not, but what I meant earlier was "knowing" the stock weight would be awesome, not that having the CF hood be the stock weight would be awesome. Sorry for any confusion.

Weight reduction is my primary reason and a million-kajillion miles away in second place is that it would look pretty cool too.

How much do our stock batteries weigh? How much does an Optima battery weigh?

To get a 50/50 weight balance you have to either move ~4.5% of the weight to the back, or ~10% of the weight has to go that is over the front axle. The effect of removing weight that is so high, actually (to me) is kind of like removing unsprung weight, the poundage might be the same, but where it is makes removing it a much bigger deal than the actual weight would indicate. Methinks the center of gravity would be lowered significantly by removing weight from here.

Weight being that high up is an aweful thing to have. Presumably this is why the new M6 and the old M3 CSL have C/F roofs. I think the M3 CSL had C/F hood and trunk deck lid too, but wasn't sure.

For our purposes, I don't think a C/F decklid would work out well because I think this would undo any balance correction of the car and would lighten our load over the rear axle, thus reducing already precious traction.

Last edited by rguy; 05-25-2005 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Sorry, I misunderstood you. The Optima weighs in at 31 lbs versus the stock battery weight of 60+ lbs. The best part is that the cranking amps and reserve capacity are higher on the Optima than stock. If I remember correctly, the Optima model that I have is the 35R (reversed poles). There has been alot of discussion about the battery swap (search "Optima").

I called VISRacing for a C32 hood quote. The black CF is slightly less than $600.00 and the silver CF is slightly less than $700.00. The black is in stock and the silver is a six week special order.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:29 PM

That is much more than I was expecting. 60+ pounds? That sounds like an aweful lot, but who knows, it could be possible. I haven't tried to take the thing out. I wonder what the utility of all that extra weight is? Thanks for the info.

To the rest of us, any news on the group buy?
Old 05-31-2005, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
I weighed my (C32) stock battery when I removed it. It was 62 or 63 lbs! My best guess is that the porky battery was substantially cheaper for MBZ to use.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:50 PM

I think it is to make the AH capacity soar to commercial duty levels.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:53 PM

That Odyssey Battery is like 26lbs, but only 25AH which is 1/2 the optima and 1/4 stock.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W209
If the hood fits the W209 CLK, then I am interested. Please keep me updated. Thanks
Old 06-01-2005, 06:34 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
That is much more than I was expecting. 60+ pounds? That sounds like an aweful lot, but who knows, it could be possible. I haven't tried to take the thing out. I wonder what the utility of all that extra weight is? Thanks for the info.

To the rest of us, any news on the group buy?
I didn't forget. I just had not heard anything new. Still looking into a few things. Should have a definite answer and details next week. I will let you all know once i hear some news.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:38 AM

Gravy. Thanks for the work.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:41 PM
Banned

The CF hood is dope. Im going to get one soon.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Z06, M3, Mini Cooper S. Sold: C55
I would buy a black CF hood if someone has one with factory fit & mounts, of good quality, if the price is around $700-800.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:11 PM

I think a ton of us would, which is why I am eagerly awaiting news from blackc230coupe.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
I think a ton of us would, which is why I am eagerly awaiting news from blackc230coupe.

update on the CF hood group buy on this thread i just started. Its not down to 20 orders.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...54#post1149954
Old 06-06-2005, 08:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by BlackC230Coupe
update on the CF hood group buy on this thread i just started. Its not down to 20 orders.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...54#post1149954

i dont understand?????????? my thread was deleted???
Old 06-06-2005, 09:03 PM

Arrow hmm..

<Best Yoda impression>hmm....I sense a higher force there is behind this <Best Yoda impression>
Old 06-06-2005, 11:22 PM

i dont understand?????????? my thread was deleted???
Of course it was you gook. It was a commercial post soliciting commercial sales by a non-sponsor

heh. Need a hug?
Old 06-06-2005, 11:29 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by BrabusW203
Of course it was you gook. It was a commercial post soliciting commercial sales by a non-sponsor

heh. Need a hug?
haha!

dude, this was not threw my damn business. it makes no sense, there are regular members starting group buys here all the time. now they somehow delete mine?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????
Old 06-06-2005, 11:32 PM

haha!

dude, this was not threw my damn business. it makes no sense, there are regular members starting group buys here all the time. now they somehow delete mine?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????
Dude I feel your pain, but don't oppose the MB *****. tsk tsk they'll pop one right into your *** asap.

Ask the mods, I'm sure they will listen to reason if you take the effort to inform them about the g-buy in advance. Just a thought...
Old 06-06-2005, 11:37 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by BrabusW203
Dude I feel your pain, but don't oppose the MB *****. tsk tsk they'll pop one right into your *** asap.

Ask the mods, I'm sure they will listen to reason if you take the effort to inform them about the g-buy in advance. Just a thought...

i emailed them. already got nothing!!!!! i wanna know who deleted it and didnt even take time to PM me a reason why this was deleted???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C55 Carbon Fiber Hood?