C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

What's up with the black roofs?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PUMAs!!!
What's up with the black roofs?!

hey guys, i noticed that the EP guys and some others have their roofs painted black...i don't know about you, but you guys live in a sunny city rite?! and doesn't the black roof make the car turn into a sauna on wheels?! it looks good, and one of my friends have been contemplating about doing the paint job, but just wonderin why!?
Old 06-04-2005, 12:27 AM

'08 SL65
IIRC that's the Panoramic (all glass) roof option.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by MercedeSChink
hey guys, i noticed that the EP guys and some others have their roofs painted black...i don't know about you, but you guys live in a sunny city rite?! and doesn't the black roof make the car turn into a sauna on wheels?! it looks good, and one of my friends have been contemplating about doing the paint job, but just wonderin why!?
Painted black? Dude, it's CF my flend~!
Old 06-04-2005, 12:50 AM

PUMAs!!!
huh!? panoramic roof on a c class?! huh cf roof?! huh?! is this some option to make c class to compete with something like a csl m3!? huh?! i'm confused now...
Old 06-04-2005, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is not yet completed
huh!? panoramic roof on a c class?! huh cf roof?! huh?! is this some option to make c class to compete with something like a csl m3!? huh?! i'm confused now...
well they have panoramic roofs on cclass coupe and some Eclasses...the reason why they painted theirs roofs is to make it look like it has panoramic roof... but alwin's aka brabusw203 roof is not painted black.. its CF pano roof....
Old 06-04-2005, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
I don't think it's painted to make it look like it has pano - many people that do this are trying to tie the color in with a different element of the car, be it a carbon fiber hood or dark window tint.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Josh K
I don't think it's painted to make it look like it has pano - many people that do this are trying to tie the color in with a different element of the car, be it a carbon fiber hood or dark window tint.
SPoken like a passionate modder.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is not yet completed
Originally Posted by BrabusW203
SPoken like a passionate modder.
amen...
Old 06-04-2005, 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
my roof is black is to flow with my CF hood, and black wheels. maybe i'll get a CF trunk in the near future. who knows?! =P
Old 06-04-2005, 04:55 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!

Put a black car side by side to a white car baking in 100 degree sun for 8 hours and let me know if you actually can feel a difference between the temp from the 2. I know i sure haven't.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:21 AM
Almost a Member!

http://phoenix.about.com/od/car/qt/carcolor.htm

Car Colors For Hot Climates

Car Color Selection Tip
From Judy Hedding,

Dark Cars or Light Cars: Does it Make a Difference?
People who are relocating to hotter climates have lots of questions about their cars. Should you sell your dark blue car because it will be like an oven in Phoenix? Should you buy a car with leather interior? Does everyone in Phoenix drive a white car with a tan interior?

There have been many studies done and opinions proffered by car experts, and I assure you that you can find statistics proving whichever side you are favoring. Some studies show that dark exterior cars are definitely hotter, and some show that they really aren't. Some research indicates that dark car exteriors are what makes or breaks the temperature inside the car, and others claim that it doesn't matter, since they all have steering wheels, dash boards and other heat conductors.

I haven't any empirical evidence of my own to share with you, but having read about 20 articles on the topic, here are my conclusions:

1. A car with a darker exterior color will get hotter on the inside somewhat faster that a light colored vehicle standing out in the Phoenix summer sun. After a while, they both approximate the same temperature: hot.
2. A vehicle with a darker interior color may get hotter on the inside somewhat faster that a vehicle with a light color interior.
3. A vehicle with a leather interior that has been sitting in the Phoenix summer sun will burn your thighs (even through pants!) every time, no matter what color the leather seats are.
4. Cracking the windows does nothing to prevent temperatures from rising in the car, although it may help minimize the risk of your windows being blown out from rising interior pressure.

So there you have it. But what do you do with your dark blue car with leather interior? Should you immediately sell it because you are moving to the desert? Not unless you want to. There are plenty of ways to minimize the affects of summer heat on the temperature of your car. Frankly, if you have to park your car outside in the sun all day while you work, the interior temperature of your car, no matter what color it is, will be take-your-breath-away hot. I recommend getting the car you like. If you have always wanted a dark cherry Cadillac, go for it. I happen to love leather interiors, but I know what to do to prevent butt-burn in the summer.

Let's face it--when it is 115º outside in Phoenix, your car will get unbearably hot if left out in the sun. No matter what the color of the exterior or interior of your vehicle, here are some tips to help you minimize the impact of the heat in the summer.

In one hour, the temperature inside a vehicle in the summer sun in the Phoenix area can rise more than 50º. Too many children (and pets) die, or are permanently brain damaged from the consequences of their body temperature rapidly rising. It only takes minutes for the temperature inside a car to get high enough to kill your child or your pet. Do not ever leave children or pets inside your vehicle in the heat--not even with the windows cracked. Never. Not for a minute. I'm not joking.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:10 AM

PUMAs!!!
whoa!!! so the roof of alwin's is a cf!? sickness!!! where abouts did you get this alwin?! custom job?!
Old 06-04-2005, 11:02 AM

whoa!!! so the roof of alwin's is a cf!? sickness!!! where abouts did you get this alwin?! custom job?!
Nothing on my car is mainstream baby~! All custom one-offs, well until some dip**** like ggong150 comes along and copies it, but o wells. First one to do it always gets all the glory
Old 06-04-2005, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
Black roofs are soooooooo played out
Old 06-04-2005, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
^^^^

seriously...........

like jerry and josh said, said's to tie the mods together.....when i did mine i wasn't looking to knock off the pano roof style but i have a theme with my ride like the others........funny how it's mostly ep guys
Old 06-04-2005, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
Originally Posted by alexbenz
^^^^

seriously...........

like jerry and josh said, said's to tie the mods together.....when i did mine i wasn't looking to knock off the pano roof style but i have a theme with my ride like the others........funny how it's mostly ep guys

LOL or how all EP benzes have black wheels
Old 06-04-2005, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whatever there's gas in...
EP?

EDIT: Nevermind
Old 06-04-2005, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
LorinserCClass Quote:LOL or how all EP benzes have black wheels
hahahaha....... :p
Old 06-04-2005, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is not yet completed
Originally Posted by LorinserCClass
haah that so true... hah... black wheels.. black roofs
Old 06-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It doesn't get that hot.

But it sure looks hot
Old 06-04-2005, 06:40 PM

2002 c320 wagon
Originally Posted by LorinserCClass
hmm... i wonder who started that?? to all you ep ****** :v

edit: josh..ur wheels dont count....theyre not actually black.. heh
Old 06-04-2005, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is not yet completed
Originally Posted by silverLorinserC
hmm... i wonder who started that?? to all you ep ****** :v

edit: josh..ur wheels dont count....theyre not actually black.. heh
mmmm i wonder who started it BEN...haha
Old 06-04-2005, 08:19 PM

2002 c320 wagon
Originally Posted by xxbenzc230kxx
mmmm i wonder who started it BEN...haha
ask alwin...
Old 06-04-2005, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
when i did my set up i didn't see one single white car with black rims and so on......now i see it everywhere, a lot of the time i see it on bimmers now......
Old 06-04-2005, 09:35 PM

2002 c320 wagon
Originally Posted by alexbenz
when i did my set up i didn't see one single white car with black rims and so on......now i see it everywhere, a lot of the time i see it on bimmers now......
hahaha... ya... oh well..at least u know ur car looks nice!! nice enough for other ppl to copy u... and me.. hehe :p

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's up with the black roofs?!