No Tele-Aid error message

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
No Tele-Aid error message

I never activated my Tele-Aid and have no intention of doing so. However, I still have the no tele-aid fault malfunction on my instrument cluster....

I called tele-aid and they told me I couldn't remove the fault. How could this be?
Old 06-27-2002, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of the above
Why not use it?

The first year of tele-aid is free. Why wouldn't you use it?
Old 06-28-2002, 12:45 PM
rrf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ask the dealer

I had a "NO PHONE" display when I scrolled thru them, the dealer removed it in a jiffy. (I got the car without phone and the system "knew" it wasn't there). Now one less thing to cycle thru.

Anyway a 5-10 minute job via Star Diagnostics, for me.
I would guess it is no charge to you.
Old 06-28-2002, 02:46 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
If Tele-Aid is activated the first year and you cancel it prior to the renewal, you will not get the error message after cancellation. If you never activate it, you will always get the message.

Problem is that "No Tele-Aid" shows up as a legitimate fault code see the fault code boxes in the lower right corner of your multi-function display. Without activating Tele-Aid, the fault code boxes will always be there, possibly masking some other fault code of more importance. Since you are used to seeing the fault code in the display, you may not realize something is really wrong.

Tele-Aid is free the first year, and cancelling is easy enough. Biggest challenge is remembering to cancel it. Plus, you can have some fun playing with it. Just to determine the limitations of the remote unlock capability is a little fun.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 06-28-2002 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-28-2002, 03:24 PM

All of the above
Re: remembering to cancel your tele-aid.
Mercedes will send 2 letters to you towards the end of the first year asking if you want to continue or cancel your service. So you shouldn't have to remember to cancel it.

Re: masking other fault codes.
Your multi function display should "say" 1 malfunction, when you press the arrow on the left side of the wheel it should display "tele-aid not activated".
If another fault is detected the display should read 2 malfunctions and display the tele-aid as well as the 2nd fault when you press the arrow.
Old 06-28-2002, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Thanks for all your help, but one little problem...

I bought my vehicle with a few hundred miles on it, therefore it was considered used. According to my closest dealer, the second owner would not be entitled to a free year, even though the original owner had never activated tele-aid. The dealer again told me there is no way to get rid of the message.

BTW, I do make sure that there is only 1 malfunction, and I consider that normal now. When the "reserve" gas tank kicks in, the car considers there to be 2 faults.
Old 06-28-2002, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by JustinTRW
Thanks for all your help, but one little problem...

The dealer again told me there is no way to get rid of the message.

All your dealer's service dept. needs to do it hook the car up to the SDS laptop and program it correctly. Your SOS button will not light and you will no longer get the fault code.
Old 06-29-2002, 09:48 AM

All of the above
JustinTRW,

I think your dealer is mistaken. I sell MB in PA and have had people buy demos that did not have the tele-aid activated.
If it was never activated you can fill out the form and fax it in to tele-aid and get the first free year.

I also spoke with one of our techs and he confirmed that they cannot delete the error message. If you hit the reset button it will clear it but it will come back next time you start the car.

Sounds like sign up, or ignore it.
Old 06-29-2002, 02:19 PM
rrf

That is just crappy

Poor software programming at its best. I'd complain till the message somehow disappeared. Just because the car was "used", (what did you pay 90% of list anyway), doesn't mean that it should suddenly be OK to tollerate rather POOR design.

Dealer could activate/deactivate, and make a customer happy.

I don't think we would tollerate a NO CD CHANGER message if it was never installed would we?

Start squawking. Write to Benz, nothing to lose.
Old 06-29-2002, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by CME4BENZ
JustinTRW,

I also spoke with one of our techs and he confirmed that they cannot delete the error message. If you hit the reset button it will clear it but it will come back next time you start the car.

I've had a vehicle with this exact msg. SDS programming made the malfunction msg. go away. So I don't know why some techs do not know this.
Old 06-29-2002, 09:57 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Re: remembering to cancel your tele-aid.
Mercedes will send 2 letters to you towards the end of the first year asking if you want to continue or cancel your service. So you shouldn't have to remember to cancel it.

Re: masking other fault codes.
Your multi function display should "say" 1 malfunction, when you press the arrow on the left side of the wheel it should display "tele-aid not activated".
If another fault is detected the display should read 2 malfunctions and display the tele-aid as well as the 2nd fault when you press the arrow.
I did not receive a single letter concerning the renewals.

I was referring to the malfunction display in the lower right of the MFD. It does not tell you how many faults there are until you scroll the arrows, as you suggest. But you have to take this action in order to see how many there are.

Most of the people aroud here don't read their manuals to understand these functions...
Old 06-29-2002, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by MB-BOB

I did not receive a single letter concerning the renewals.

Same here... Not a single correspondence.
Old 07-08-2002, 07:03 PM

'00 C280W, Obsidian Black/Charcoal
CME4Benz is correct on this issue. ...RAB

If it was never activated you can fill out the form and fax it in to tele-aid and get the first free year.
Old 07-10-2002, 01:28 AM
rrf

StarDiagnostics menu, follows

From a different forum.......
This guy was interested in deleting the No Phone message
(as was done successfully on my car), apparently TeleAid is in "same" software location....

------------------------------------------

According to my local dealer, In stardiagnosis :-

Control Units -> Info. and comms. -> ICM -> Control Unit Adaptations -> Version Coding -> Optional Equipment

In the optional equipment menu you can set the following
to present or not-present depending on what you have

AUDIO, Tele-aid, Cellular Telephone, Trip Computer, Navigation

He beleives that turns on and off different menus.

Last edited by Richard on 07-09-2002 at 05:16 PM
Old 08-09-2003, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Update. This is straight from the Teleaid/MBUSA Telemetric people:

Question: If the customer declines service how do we remove the "1 Malfunction" message from the IP?

Answer: The "1 Malfunction" message will always remain on the IP if the customer declines the service. Legally it must appear as an indication to the customer that the service is not activated. If you scroll down that menu, you can see it says, "Tele Aid Not Activated" if you need to clarify the malfunction message for your customer.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Richard's post worked for me a year ago. My dealer was hesitant to do it for me, but did anyway.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
son of a.... dealer said cannot remove the NO PHONE. gonna print this thread....