C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Newbie Needs Info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Needs Info

Yes I know how to use the search button.

Just bought 2003 C32 - black/black - 16k - picked up car on Saturday - time to mod...
The car ROCKS!

What are the most common mods for this car? i.e. high boost pulley? lowering kit? exhaust? stereo - What compainies should I search? Web sites please. I know nothing about MBs.

Looking to give it a more agressive look, more power and a little bit of ice without being ghetto.

Oh yeah, I also have a 2003 modded CL-Type S with the 6 speed - and a Kawasaki ZX-7R - gotta have something to drive on the weekends...

Thanks,
Old 06-17-2005, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Congrats on your purchase. The C32 is an amazing car, and not too common.

As far as mods go, we wouldn't want you to get all tired out doing searches , and I feel like writing, so you are in luck. Anyways, it kinda depends on what you want to spend, but the list would run pretty much as follows:

ECU reprogram
Pulleys (I like Evosport for the pulleys, as they use forged aluminum, which also drops 18 lbs. or so)
Exhaust mods (from simple resonator removal all the way up to headers and race exhaust-some people have also removed the two rear cats). IMO, the resonator removal is a great, and very cheap (<$50) mod. Removal of cats is great, but may screw you at smog inspection. Headers/race exhaust, IMO, are very expensive for what you get, but some people love this mod.
Air Filters (greenfilter, K&N, etc.)
SL55 "Y" splitter (at back of airbox intake)
Magnecor wires
Denso Iridium plugs
Insulation/Isolation mods (to keep airbox cool)
Intercooler mods (to increase supercharger cooling)
Limited Slip Differential (people keep toying with this idea, but it is like $2,000, and I don't think anyone has done it).
Weight reduction mods:
(1) lighter wheels (stock are 25-26 lbs each). HREs are best, but $$$$. Brabus are heavy as boat anchors, $$$$$$$, fugly (IMO), but some people think they are cool because they are $$$$$$$, Flik wheels are cheapest and are light, but people will see them and know that you are a tightwad. SSRs are nice, but a little heavy and $$$$.
(2) lighter battery (stock is 63 lbs, Optima is 31 lbs.)
(3) carbonfiber hood (probably drops 30 lbs or so)
(4) nix the spare (adios 50 lbs.),
(5) aftermarket brake discs (have heard that will drop 8 lbs./wheel
(6) lighter/better tires: PS2s are the best, Toyo T1s are a close second and alot cheaper, Rossos are light/ride nicely, but they suck on the rears (no traction and wear like crazy). Bridgestones and Goodyears are good, but relatively heavy.

The major suppliers are Evosport (the So. Cal. favorite), RennTech, Kleeman, Brabus, and a few others which I can't remember right now.

As far as stereo goes, I know almost nada, so I will leave that to someone else.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:03 AM

Arrow hmm...

I'll take the stereo part...

1) For headunit alot of people perfer to go with stock but then again you could always go with a Pioneer AVIC-N1 pop out screen WITH navi in a single DIN which should fit the slot nicely unless you have a COMMAND system, then i would just say leave it be b/c MB uses Fiber-optics to send and receive messages within the car, not normal cable. Pioneer is probably the best bang for the buck, want to go $$$ go get an nice Alpine...

2) For subs I personally would pick a JL Audio 10 W7 for nice deep bass in a 10x10x10 box. That sub should be way more then enough for anyone includeing audiophiles. Coupled with JL amps, they simply are again a very very good bang for the buck. Again, if you have more $$ to burn and want to go a bit better, head for an Alpine or MB quarts, but JL is well known for being an industry leader since they only do subs and amps.

3) Interior speakers.....well thats kinda up to you...Again JL are a nice bang for the buck, Alpine very good also, MB quart if you got the $$$, and Dynaudio if your the pimp. Dynaaudio is like the unheard of brand that just rocks basically...Again, its the most $$$

If your looking for weight savings.....dont do any of this stuff!!!

OH and if you DO decide to go this route you better have one hell of an installer that knows about MB b/c of that FiberOptic issue I was speaking of...Hope I helped!
Old 06-17-2005, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars and boats!
adding on to what Vomit mentioned, you may want to consider these things...

Wheels: Go staggered... size combinations you should get for tires are 235-40-18/265-35-18 or 235-35-19/265-30-19!

Exterior Mods: You can search ebay or any supplier for little things such as flat hood emblems and grilles. The Expression grille is the nicest but $$$$!!! As far as a decklid spoiler goes, you have choices that range from Carlsson, AMG (C55), to Lorinser. Of course lots of companies out there are making knockoffs but I think the authentic C55 spoiler is hte best.

Exhaust and performance: The best I beleive so far is teh Eisenmann Race exhaust, even though its a resonator back exhaust, I beleive it sounds best and has gone through real R&D. FongFlex has this exhaust and in combination with the current engine mods I have (RENNTech ECU, Pulley Kit, SL55 splitter), he pulls 12.5 @ 110mph at the track...amazing times and trap. Also, the SL55 splitter requires some custom fitment, you should research this more. The SL55 splitter only yeilds gains when combined with highflow filters (Greenfilter is best) and a Pulley kit to increase boost (need more room for air flow).

Brakes: Stay tuned for this one, I have an nice surprise for all of you in the next comming month.

Suspension: Mods range from Lowering springs to whole suspension kits to Coilovers. I have RENNTech springs and love them as far as my vehicles application goes (its a daily driver, handles a lot better eliminating understeer, retains factory-like comfort, matched for OEM shocks). The best and most $$$ option is go to with Coilovers. I beleive that KW Variant 2 are the best. If your walking on elbows and just want your car low, go with H&R springs, but be warned, your OEM shocks dont match the spring rate on teh H&R springs and your shocks will have a lot shorter lifespan. H&R also makes Coilovers but the rebound rate on them arent adjustable. Tien also came out with a set of nice coilovers for the C32/C55. Bilstein currently has the PSS9 available for our cars as well. H&R, Evosport, Carlsson, Brabus, RENNTech, and many tuners make swaybars for the car (great mod for autocrossing). As far as camber is concerned I think the best way to adjust/correct your camber is to get a set of adjustable camber arms from Jeff (Speedybnz). You could go with K-MAC but thats $$$$$ and not as good as Jeffs camber arms IMO.

Nitrous: A cheap way to go fast but be careful who you find to do the install, it can be tricky. Make sure you find some1 who has knowledge on both Nitrous and MBs.

Lambo Doors, Neon Lights, aluminum spoilers for C32: If your considering these mods, consider yourself a ricer.

Girls: Only pick up hot bizzaatcchess... any and all obese or ugly women will deface teh value of your C32.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:45 PM

OK so without going too nuts since I have only had the car a week would this be a reasonable plan:

ECU
Pulleys
Exhaust
Air Filter
Emblems
Grill
Deck-lid spoiler
Springs
Powered Sub Only

What is SL55 Y????

What is price range for above mods? I am decent with a wrench - are then DIY or do I need an MB mechanic?

Not doing wheels until I run through the stock rubber - still in good shape - not as much grip as the SO3s on my CL-S ,but ok for now.

So is evosport the place to shop?

Thanks for all replys - oh and those Lambo door...NO!
Old 06-17-2005, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars and boats!
Originally Posted by SRQLAW
OK so without going too nuts since I have only had the car a week would this be a reasonable plan:

ECU
Pulleys
Exhaust
Air Filter
Emblems
Grill
Deck-lid spoiler
Springs
Powered Sub Only

What is SL55 Y????

What is price range for above mods? I am decent with a wrench - are then DIY or do I need an MB mechanic?

Not doing wheels until I run through the stock rubber - still in good shape - not as much grip as the SO3s on my CL-S ,but ok for now.

So is evosport the place to shop?

Thanks for all replys - oh and those Lambo door...NO!
The SL55 splitter is the collector that goes from your airbox into the TB. The splitter from teh SL55 (V8K) is larger in diameter then the stock C32 splitter. When you have filters and a pulley kit to up the boost and allow better airflow, this mod can help more air flow in freely. Its a nice DIY mod but I would speak to somebody who has done this before, before you attempt a shot at this DIY mod. I did mine myself and messed up the first splitter by breaking off one of the tabs on teh bottom.

Evosport is a shop/tuner for MB located in California.

Do your research on which ECU/Pulley Kit combo you choose, so far the majority of ppl on this forum use either teh RENNTech combo or teh Evosport combo. RENNTech's ECU and Pulley Kit retails for $3495.00 for the C32, Evosport's is a little cheaper. RENNTech is located in Lake Park, FL, on the east coast of FL, you might want to go down there and check them out. As far as filters go, talk to BlackC230coupe, he can hook it up with the Greenfilters for a good deal as well as everything else you've mentioned.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:37 PM

Great thanks for the responses. Now for some specifics. I just got back from getting the car tinted - 5% all around - life in Florida... look great.

Now I think step one is going to be some springs. The wheel gap on the front is just too large. I am looking to improve handling while retaining the stock shocks. I do NOT want the car slammed - just lowered ~1inch. Also, car is daily driver - must ride reasonably well.

Suggestions? What is the cost for installation on this car typically? My Acura - sucked b/c you have to take out the back seats to get to the bolts for the rear shocks.

Thanks,
Old 06-25-2005, 03:43 PM

First you should get those dings on the drivers side front end fixed.
Then you will want to get Bi-Xenon headlights.
Also who signed the engine on your "03"?
Old 06-25-2005, 03:57 PM

What? I am kind of confused here - did the car get hit while I was at work???

What do you mean who signed the engine?
Old 06-25-2005, 08:49 PM

2005 C55
Originally Posted by SRQLAW
What? I am kind of confused here - did the car get hit while I was at work???

What do you mean who signed the engine?
Every AMG has it's engine signed by the person who built by hand.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:35 PM

OK - I will have to go check that out - actually I was kind wondering about the comment about the dings and the headlights???
Old 07-15-2005, 02:10 PM

The difference between 02s and 03s:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ighlight=02-03

Last edited by bobsc32; 07-15-2005 at 02:14 PM.