C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Kleemann 55K S7 Update -- Pictures & Dyno

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2005 | 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG 2002, C 63 AMG 2009
Originally Posted by dragonAMG
Yes the stock brakes do rock! Check out the C&D review of the upgraded brakes...

"The Kleemann's braking performance was better than the stocker's as well, halting the 55S8 from 70 to 0 mph in just 160 feet, compared with 165 for the factory C55. Kudos to Kleemann's 370 brake kit ($9800), which includes bigger calipers (six-piston front, four-piston rear) and fully floating, cross-drilled rotors."

... being that I'm not planning on tracking this car and don't plan to be an idiot with the new found power, I don't think spending 6-10k on brakes is very "brilliant". But hey, I appreciate your input genius.
Quick "?"
why did you go with the color silver??? Your car looks sweet and I might be leaning towrd a silver or pewter car
Old 08-15-2005 | 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
Originally Posted by 04E55 AMG
Not a expert, but the rule of the thumb is that you lower your crank dyno #'s by 80-100 for drivetrain loses to get a more real RW # for HP & TQ.

His RWHP is around 430-440 and RWTQ is 440-450....VERY SICK #'s
btw - a stock E55 is around 410-420 RWHP.

At the end of the day his C55 is putting down slightly more HP&TQ then a stock E55.
and don't forget to mention the difference in weight. approx ~ 500 lbs.

And, using that same calculation, a stock e55 would have roughly 375-390 rwhp.

BTW - Cory said that my car pulls like a Stage 3 E55.

Last edited by dragonAMG; 08-15-2005 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-15-2005 | 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Childish///AMG
Quick "?"
why did you go with the color silver??? Your car looks sweet and I might be leaning towrd a silver or pewter car
I almost bought the pewter C55 buy changed my mind last minute to silver. It was totally a toss up.
Old 08-15-2005 | 03:07 PM

'05 C55 '07 Toyota FJ Cruiser '92 Jeep "drive over your ass" Wrangler
Standing O!!!!!!! The crowd goes wild.
Old 08-15-2005 | 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Yes the stock brakes do rock! Check out the C&D review of the upgraded brakes...

"The Kleemann's braking performance was better than the stocker's as well, halting the 55S8 from 70 to 0 mph in just 160 feet, compared with 165 for the factory C55. Kudos to Kleemann's 370 brake kit ($9800), which includes bigger calipers (six-piston front, four-piston rear) and fully floating, cross-drilled rotors."

... being that I'm not planning on tracking this car and don't plan to be an idiot with the new found power, I don't think spending 6-10k on brakes is very "brilliant". But hey, I appreciate your input genius.

ya... and who needs upgraded brakes when you've got a parachute in the back.

Not too mention, CynCarvin32 - I still have the helmet you let me borrow that you used to wear on the "special bus" back in grade school.
So you are admitting that you don't drive fast? BLING! I drove 100+ mph (where permissible) on the way to the office this morning in my old s-class, how fast did you drive?

BTW, how does it feel to have essentially the same 13.6" front brake it as an '04.5 C230K with 189hp? And, only slightly larger ventilated, 11.8" vs. 11.4", discs in the rear?
Old 08-15-2005 | 04:47 PM
Bux
MBWorld Fanatic!

G
Originally Posted by schwarzwagen
So you are admitting that you don't drive fast? BLING! I drove 100+ mph (where permissible) on the way to the office this morning in my old s-class, how fast did you drive?

BTW, how does it feel to have essentially the same 13.6" front brake it as an '04.5 C230K with 189hp? And, only slightly larger ventilated, 11.8" vs. 11.4", discs in the rear?

jealous? ...how about you compare your 300sel to the C230K and feel like a bit*ch before you talk **** about cars > you
Old 08-15-2005 | 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Originally Posted by Bux
jealous? ...how about you compare your 300sel to the C230K and feel like a bit*ch before you talk **** about cars > you
Jealous, No. You have no idea who I am. Don't bore me with your snide commentary about my car! I have heard it before, invariably from people who have no idea how to formulate an argument based on the topic.

A car greater than I, how does that work? It’s a piece of metal buddy, you may think it garners credibility with it, but you are mistaken. Only shallow individuals with low self-esteem think a car gives them an edge over the rest of us.

Last edited by schwarzwagen; 08-15-2005 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-15-2005 | 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Then let's get back to your point. You're criticizing dragonAMG's decision to not upgrade his brakes. Through your sarcastic remarks, you imply that it is stupid to increase the engine power so much without increasing the stopping power of the brakes. dragonAMG already indicated that the Kleeman brake upgrades are pricey and decided against it despite limited, but real decrease in stopping distance compared to stock brakes, as illustrated in the Car and Driver test.

The stock C55 is electonically limited to 155mph (250km/h), and Merecedes thinks the stock brakes are good enough to scrub speed from that speed. Sure, dragonAMG can probably exceed that speed given his ECU reprogram, so his stock brakes may not be up to snuff at speeds above 155mph.

But here is the point of my post: I doubt anybody in North America with a supercar will run ABOVE 155mph for any extended period of time unless there is so much clear space and lack of traffic. Almost always, owners of supercars have their fun ACCELERATING extremely rapidly, reaching speeds well below 155mph. As such, there is no reason why the stock brakes will not suffice in most scenarios.

Last edited by PC Valkyrie; 08-15-2005 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-15-2005 | 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz

Not too mention, CynCarvin32 - I still have the helmet you let me borrow that you used to wear on the "special bus" back in grade school.

U stole my Bell MR 3? crap i better get that back for my track day next month.

Any bus that requires a closed face helmet is my type of bus!

Never rode the bus either... did not find it enjoyable to live on the bus route.
Old 08-15-2005 | 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
U stole my Bell MR 3? crap i better get that back for my track day next month.

Any bus that requires a closed face helmet is my type of bus!

Never rode the bus either... did not find it enjoyable to live on the bus route.
HAHA... cool, I'm glad you didn't take that as a flame... It was completely a joke in good humor.
Old 08-15-2005 | 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
Then let's get back to your point. You're criticizing dragonAMG's decision to not upgrade his brakes. Through your sarcastic remarks, you imply that it is stupid to increase the engine power so much without increasing the stopping power of the brakes. dragonAMG already indicated that the Kleeman brake upgrades are pricey and decided against it despite limited, but real decrease in stopping distance compared to stock brakes, as illustrated in the Car and Driver test.

The stock C55 is electonically limited to 155mph (250km/h), and Merecedes thinks the stock brakes are good enough to scrub speed from that speed. Sure, dragonAMG can probably exceed that speed given his ECU reprogram, so his stock brakes may not be up to snuff at speeds above 155mph.

But here is the point of my thread: I doubt anybody in North America with a supercar will run ABOVE 155mph for any extended period of time unless there is so much clear space and lack of traffic. Almost always, owners of supercars have their fun ACCELERATING extremely rapidly, reaching speeds well below 155mph. As such, there is no reason why the stock brakes will not suffice in most scenarios.
I would recommend in all seriousness (not being sarcastic), that you visit your local canyon or racetrack. You will find that the stock brakes on the C32/55 are woefully inadequate. Adding 500+hp to the equation is a recipe for disaster, unless, of course, you are a poser. Why spend the money on 500hp if you are not going to use it? Cost, why would anyone who already spent a lot of money be concerned about another 6 grand? At least get a Stoptech kit if you want to save some cash. And even if for only the front axle, it’s better than the OE brakes.
Old 08-15-2005 | 05:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by benzmodz
So the dyno graph shows you gained all of the power at the bottom end and lost power at the top end. So in reality you did a mod which taps into the same engine power at lower revs.

I can see how that would make the car a lot more fun to drive in a city but what I dont seem to realise is how you have gained overall power once the initial kick from the start line fades out.
Look at the dyno again- LOST (?) power at the top end? I dont think so.
Old 08-15-2005 | 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz

So you spent 20k on going quick and you wont go quickly? Ok that’s a waste of money then.

I don’t know about you but I have made the brakes on nearly EVERY MB I have ever driven fade with only moderate use. Some are worse than others but I must say the brakes on my old C32 were a joke. They faded and turned into smoke way faster than anything else out there (well the E500 is not that great either but some of that can be written off by SBC).

So my little C32 with 349 hp was not safe for quick driving but I guess your 550hp super sled is save with whippy factory brakes. Find a test that said the C55's brakes worked well after a couple of stops. I will save you the time since there are none. Most say the brakes get mushy and go away long before you get into a rhythm.

Real tuners would not send a car with 200 extra hp out on the road with stock brakes. If I worked for Kleemann I would make u sign away all liability before taking the car off my lot.

Go stop form 140 in a hurry and then do it again from say 120 (and if mean slow down not stop) and let me know how the brakes feel on the third time. Bet those pads will be smoking, bet those rotors will be scored and or glazed.

If cash is your worry buy some StopTechs! They are nearly as good as brembo's F50 kit and cost a good chunk less. 10k for brakes is a bit much but Stoptech is not anywhere near that.

Edit:

So when MB builds a E55 they go from the small factory brakes to the 8 piston/ 4 piston set-up because the car gained 200 hp. Guess your car does not suffer from any increase in speed. Lord know its faster than stink so get some brakes!

My daily drive C230k 2005 now uses C55 brakes because the factory brakes were killed after 1 20 minute drive. It stops well now and feels safe. Again 189 hp vs 550 hp. That seems really goofy to me.

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 08-15-2005 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-15-2005 | 06:01 PM
Bux
MBWorld Fanatic!

G
Only shallow individuals with low self-esteem think a car gives them an edge over the rest of us.

obviously you think $8-9K on a 5ft braking advantage (the price of your car) is worth the edge over others (don't get puss*y hurt)

Last edited by Bux; 08-15-2005 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-15-2005 | 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Originally Posted by Bux
don't get puss*y hurt cause you got rocked on a internet forum
Wow, thanks for your incredibly useless response! You really rocked my world. I was hoping for some better smack than that. Clearly I am dealing with an amateur.
Old 08-15-2005 | 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Originally Posted by Bux
obviously you think $8-9K on a 5ft braking advantage (the price of your car) is worth the edge over others (don't get puss*y hurt)
That's a little better, keep trying.
Old 08-15-2005 | 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
with all honesty though brake upgrades normally show little to no decrease in stopping distance in the first stop. Most factory cars have more than enough brake to over stress the tires on the first stop.

After a three stops the car is seriously not what it was at the fist stop. A big brake upgrade is far more consistent. The first stop equals the last!

I am not trying to be rude here but in all seriousness a 550hp car should have a nice set of big big brakes!

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 08-15-2005 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-15-2005 | 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
So you spent 20k on going quick and you wont go quickly? Ok that’s a waste of money then.
Hahaha... I do plan of driving the car fast, I just don't plan on being stupid with the speed. In any event, I appreciate both your and schwagen's advise and comments. I think both of you are misinterpreting what I'm really saying. Do I think upgrading the brakes is wise? Yes. Do I think that 530 hp warrants upgraded brakes? Yes. Did I want to spend 6-10k on it right now? No. The stock brakes will suffice for now. Like I said, I don't plan on driving like an idiot, or driving the car extremly hard for long periods of time.

Now if you would be so kind to take your negative comments to another thread and/or site, I'm sure that all us would greatly appreciate it.

Why spend the money on 500hp if you are not going to use it?
Answer - Because I can.

Last edited by dragonAMG; 08-15-2005 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-15-2005 | 06:24 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
having more hp doesn't mean stopping from regular highway speed needs better brake. Like dragon said, he's not gonna track his car. why bother spending extra cash for something he doesn't feel he needs.

the stock brembo are more than enough for his car on occational spirited driving.
Old 08-15-2005 | 08:36 PM
Almost a Member!

p10t
instead of people being happy for someone, they do nothing but hate.
dragon, don't even read those hateful comments.

those that can afford, do, those that can't, just hate.

again, congrats on a "new" powerful car, and upgrade it as you deem important and at your own discretion. enjoy it, have fun with it, and "shake off the haters!"
Old 08-15-2005 | 08:42 PM
Bux
MBWorld Fanatic!

G
Originally Posted by e63sds36e

again, congrats on a "new" powerful car, and upgrade it as you deem important and at your own discretion. enjoy it, have fun with it, and "shake off the haters!"
exactly (schwarzwagen)
Old 08-15-2005 | 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Originally Posted by e63sds36e

And you know how much money is in my bank account how? Let's just be plain here, it seems you don't get it. POSERS drive around of stock brakes. End of story. Call it "hate" or whatever wanna-be thug talk you choose to call it. That's my point, no more, no less. CynCarvin32 and myself have shattered every argument in favor of stock brakes on a 550hp car, would you like to take a turn?
Old 08-15-2005 | 09:39 PM
Bux
MBWorld Fanatic!

G
lol a guy with a kleeman c55 is a poser? more like a 300sel driver
Old 08-15-2005 | 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Originally Posted by Bux
lol a guy with a kleeman c55 is a poser? more like a 300sel driver
I can see this is going no where. Ask yourself this, would the factory let a car out of the doors with 550hp and essentially C230 brakes? Heck no.
Old 08-15-2005 | 10:02 PM

2006 BMW X5 4.8is and 2005 C55 AMG
And you know how much money is in my bank account how? Let's just be plain here, it seems you don't get it. POSERS drive around of stock brakes. End of story. Call it "hate" or whatever wanna-be thug talk you choose to call it. That's my point, no more, no less. CynCarvin32 and myself have shattered every argument in favor of stock brakes on a 550hp car, would you like to take a turn?
Man, lay off him. It's not your car so why do you even care? Dragon said he would upgraded his brakes in due time, so can't you just except that and move on with your life.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Kleemann 55K S7 Update -- Pictures & Dyno