C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

TEIN coilover updates...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
TEIN coilover updates...

What's up C32 and C55 members.

I rarely post on this board, but thought I would update you guys on the TEIN R&D for coilovers and springs.

Here's a thread that I started in the w203 boards:
LINK: TEIN COILOVERS THREAD - W203 FORUMS

Since you all are w203's as well, I thought that I would open up questions to you, if you are interested in me passing on any questions to the rep I'm dealing with over at TEIN, USA.

I know that the AMG suspension is something a lot of people don't like to mess with or change (because it's pretty good already), for those of you who are interested, please feel free to post your questions here or on the w203 forum, so that I can add that to a list of questions already posed by other mbworld.org C-Class owners.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jaguar STR
That would be very nice if Tein looked into the 203 so long as its in a flex series or something of the like, the CS is a bit soft for an AMG car. I hope they make it happen I am a Tein dealer and run there products on a lot of my cars, I love the flex series stuff with the EDFC.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by None
That would be very nice if Tein looked into the 203 so long as its in a flex series or something of the like, the CS is a bit soft for an AMG car. I hope they make it happen I am a Tein dealer and run there products on a lot of my cars, I love the flex series stuff with the EDFC.
Nice. I'll definitely check with the rep I'm dealing with. I'm not sure if they would go to the extent of putting out the FLEX for the w203, but never hurts to ask. I'll let you know what they say.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:22 PM

Jaguar STR
Originally Posted by drexappeal
Nice. I'll definitely check with the rep I'm dealing with. I'm not sure if they would go to the extent of putting out the FLEX for the w203, but never hurts to ask. I'll let you know what they say.
Just no CS for an AMG and I know thats the way they would lean. IMO that would be a downgrade from the AMG factory equipment.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just no CS for an AMG and I know thats the way they would lean. IMO that would be a downgrade from the AMG factory equipment.
Why would it be a downgrade from the factory equipment?

The AMG suspension ride quality on my C55 can be deemed by some as "****ty" but the handling on it just doesn't justify the firm ride. In my mind it should handle better for how firm the suspension is but that isn't the case. The car still feels "floaty" and would benefit from a coilover suspension perhaps by lowering the center of gravity. The car would also look better by eliminating the wheel gap.

I think if TEIN came out with something similar to the KW Variant 2's there would be some interest. EDFC compatible would be a plus. I have TEIN coilovers on my other car and I don't really have any bad things to say about them.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars and boats!
a local shop told me that the edfc will not work with the C32
Old 08-19-2005, 05:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Please ask TEIN this question.....

Can the car be dumped on the coilovers without having to use spacers? If it requires spacers, what size?

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:30 PM

Jaguar STR
Originally Posted by sdsilverm3
Why would it be a downgrade from the factory equipment?
It would be a downgrade because CS series AKA comfort series handles like crap. If you would like to turn your AMG into a caddy it would be the perfect mod I just don't see that being the case with most AMG owners. The Flex series would vastly improve the handling along with giving you not only the option to lower the ride higth but the option to do it with out adding preload to the springs or better yet adding your desired amount of preload, A huge advantage over some other Tein series shocks, I would bet the ride quality would be better then stock as well depending on your personal dampener settings.

Tein tends to release suspensions in what they consider luxury cars only in the CS series or at least launches with the CS.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:34 PM

Jaguar STR
Originally Posted by BenzoAMGpower
a local shop told me that the edfc will not work with the C32
EDFC should work with any series Tein, the only thing that could cause a problem is space in the car as in strut bars or hood clearance issues.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Please ask TEIN this question.....

Can the car be dumped on the coilovers without having to use spacers? If it requires spacers, what size?

Thanks.
Definitely will put that down for you, sdsilverm3. Dumped as in to the ground (lowest setting)? or Dumped as in 3 inch drop, but not quite lowest setting?
Old 08-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

EDFC should work with any series Tein, the only thing that could cause a problem is space in the car as in strut bars or hood clearance issues.
The SS-P's will be in development, which would also mean that the EDFC will be compatible. No point of having the SS-P's if the EDFC is not going to be compatible. At that point, they might as well stick with the Super Streets that are currently available.

Also, to add, the EDFC is only compatible with TEIN coilovers that have the Upper Pillowball mount.

Last edited by drexappeal; 08-19-2005 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

It would be a downgrade because CS series AKA comfort series handles like crap. If you would like to turn your AMG into a caddy it would be the perfect mod I just don't see that being the case with most AMG owners. The Flex series would vastly improve the handling along with giving you not only the option to lower the ride higth but the option to do it with out adding preload to the springs or better yet adding your desired amount of preload, A huge advantage over some other Tein series shocks, I would bet the ride quality would be better then stock as well depending on your personal dampener settings.

Tein tends to release suspensions in what they consider luxury cars only in the CS series or at least launches with the CS.
As far as I know, this is the status:

Super Street/Basic Coilovers - Available for 320 and 240.
S-Tech/Super Street - In Development for 230 K (my car, but am planning on asking about the coupe compatibility as well)
SS-P - In Development (not sure if my car will be used for that as well, but we'll see. I'm highly interested in the SS-P for a simple reason = EDFC)

Now, since the current availability for TEIN parts are the BASIC's and the SUPER STREET coilovers for the 240 and 320, I don't see any reason why these wouldn't work on the C32's. Also, do any of you know if there are any differences in the suspension setup from the C32's vs. the C55's? I don't know if they changed anything, since they borrowed the CLK front end for the 55's.

I was planning on asking about compatibility with the C55's. Would all of you 55 owners like me to ask if they are interested in having someone come in for R&D on w/ the 55?
Old 08-19-2005, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Definitely will put that down for you, sdsilverm3. Dumped as in to the ground (lowest setting)? or Dumped as in 3 inch drop, but not quite lowest setting?
Dumped as in any setting that would cause a problem with the wheel touching the suspension. Let's just go ahead and say 3 inch drop. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2005, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Dumped as in any setting that would cause a problem with the wheel touching the suspension. Let's just go ahead and say 3 inch drop. Thanks!
No prob. I'll check with them for sure.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Update from TEIN R&D...

Here is more information on the TEIN's for you guys. No real "confirmation" on the C32's, but it seems like it shouldn't be a problem. C55's, read the info I posted below:

Okay, so I ended up getting my car back yesterday afternoon and I have some info to share (both good and bad).

What are the spring rates?
Front - 336 lbs/inch, Rear - 448 lbs/inch

What are the compression rates?
TBD

What are the rebound rates?
I have a pdf file that shows these rates, but I don't know how to upload this or host it as an "image". If somebody does know how, email me and I will reply with the pdf file.

What model C Classes (w203) can purchase/install the TEIN coilovers?
At this point, only the 230 K SS, 240, 320, 320 SS are good to go as far as getting these setups for both the BASIC and SUPER STREET coilovers
As for the C32's, I wouldn't be surprised if these would work for you as well since the weight shouldn't be that far off from the 320, but I would call TEIN, USA to inquire. They didn't mention whether it would be good to go. Unfortunately, this is bad news for coupe owners because the coupes have not been confirmed for either the 230 or the 320 in terms of fitment/compatibility. For those coupe owners that are interested in more information or updates on the progress with these, you can contact the rep I was dealing with, Sergio Campos at TEIN, USA.

What spring only options will be available?
S-Tech springs R&D is done for the 230 K SS. I don't know when they will have pricing available, but I've completed my part of the R&D. Now it's only a matter of time until they post them available. As far as I know, there were no snags with those (since I'm currently running on the Super Street coilovers).

Will the SS-P (SUPER STREET W/ PILLOWBALL MOUNTS) be available?
Contrary to what was indicated in their catalog, this might not be possible at this point. There's an issue with the top mount design on the C Class. I will be keeping in contact with them to see if they need my car again for more testing. This one will have to be a "wait and see" thing. Tommy, this is important for us because if the SS-P isn't going to be available/compatible, then that also means NO EDFC

Will there be any setups for the C55 (V8 engine w/ w203 chassis) AMG?
They may need a car for R&D around September. For those that are interested, please give Sergio a call and tell him that Aldrex recommended you. The current setups are not compatible with the C55.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the info !
Old 08-26-2005, 06:29 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
how's the Tein basic compare to the H&R coilover?

I planning to either A) get the basic if it's comparable to the H&R coilover or B) get my friend's H&R coil when he sells the car in Oct/Nov.

With either choice I will have to change the rims.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by FrankW
how's the Tein basic compare to the H&R coilover?

I planning to either A) get the basic if it's comparable to the H&R coilover or B) get my friend's H&R coil when he sells the car in Oct/Nov.

With either choice I will have to change the rims.
Hey Frank, I'm not sure how the TEIN's compare to the H&R's because I've never rode in a car with the H&R coilovers. Either way, would you definitely have to change your rims? Both setups are ride height adjustable, so have there been people who have had rubbing issues w/ the H&R CO's?

I know that for brand new BASIC c.o.'s, they're cheaper than H&R in terms of $, but not necessarily cheaper in quality.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:42 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Hey Frank, I'm not sure how the TEIN's compare to the H&R's because I've never rode in a car with the H&R coilovers. Either way, would you definitely have to change your rims? Both setups are ride height adjustable, so have there been people who have had rubbing issues w/ the H&R CO's?

I know that for brand new BASIC c.o.'s, they're cheaper than H&R in terms of $, but not necessarily cheaper in quality.
I will definitely change the rims. they sticks out because of the spacers needed to clear the caliper. However the rims will work for those without the large caliper without any need of using the spacers. The other solution is to run 225s in the front if I do get the coils, but I hate leaving the lip exposed.

I've tried it on my friend's car with cupkit and it works, but go any lower than cupkit it definitely won't work unless you don't have big brake kit which you can run them without the spacers.

so yea...I might put these up to trade or sell and get something else if I go with the TEIN basic or ss.

Last edited by FrankW; 08-26-2005 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

I will definitely change the rims. they sticks out because of the spacers needed to clear the caliper. However the rims will work for those without the large caliper without any need of using the spacers. The other solution is to run 225s in the front if I do get the coils, but I hate leaving the lip exposed.

I've tried it on my friend's car with cupkit and it works, but go any lower than cupkit it definitely won't work unless you don't have big brake kit which you can run them without the spacers.

so yea...I might put these up to trade or sell and get something else if I go with the TEIN basic or ss.
here's the thing though, if the cupkit works okay, then you can always adjust the ride height of the Basic's or SS's to match the height of the H&R cupkit. And, if you go with the SS's, you could adjust the dampening so the reverb doesn't rock the car as much to prevent any rubbing.

It might be able to work without swapping out the rims, but if you intended on doing that anyway, that's cool too...But I wouldn't doubt that it would still work.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:02 PM

SLK32
Glad to hear that someone else is looking to make a product for MB's. But (isn't there always a but) unless Tein has made some significant changes in the last 2 years their products left something to be desired.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by 430
Glad to hear that someone else is looking to make a product for MB's. But (isn't there always a but) unless Tein has made some significant changes in the last 2 years their products left something to be desired.
Have you had bad experiences with their products? All my experiences and stories I've been told have been good as far as their products are concerned - all the way from JDM cars to some M3's.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:21 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
here's the thing though, if the cupkit works okay, then you can always adjust the ride height of the Basic's or SS's to match the height of the H&R cupkit. And, if you go with the SS's, you could adjust the dampening so the reverb doesn't rock the car as much to prevent any rubbing.

It might be able to work without swapping out the rims, but if you intended on doing that anyway, that's cool too...But I wouldn't doubt that it would still work.
but I wanna go lower :P since my Renntech springs aready set the car at similiar height as the cupkit
Old 08-27-2005, 09:23 PM

SLK32
Have you had bad experiences with their products? All my experiences and stories I've been told have been good as far as their products are concerned - all the way from JDM cars to some M3's.
Yes, I have seen the older ones (non-teflon coated) ones rust very quickly. I looked at the shock dyno charts and compared them to other comprably priced systems and they are just blown away. I have seen the Tein's blow out due to being set near the bottom of their recommended ranges. All of these have been in Japanese auto's. It may be that they have corrected the issues I have seen, it has been a couple of years.

Of course it is not like we have a large selection so the coil over they build may blow our current offerings away. Hell, it should not be too dificult to build something better than the H&R's.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

but I wanna go lower :P since my Renntech springs aready set the car at similiar height as the cupkit
Ahh, I see. In that case, definitely understand.