C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

TEIN Basic and Super Street coilovers (Update on post 177)...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
TEIN Basic and Super Street coilovers (Update on post 177)...

are almost done with development.

TEIN has listed the pricing for both the Basic and Super Street coilover setups available for the w203.

I haven't inquired as to whether these would work fine with the 230 Kompressor, however, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't fit. I have an email into TEIN to make sure.

Anyways, just wanted to let those who are interested know. Check their website here for more info:

LINK: TEIN coilovers

It looks like the BASIC coilovers (ride height adjustable) are going to be $890 retail and the SUPER STREET coilovers (fully adjustable) are going to be $1,400 retail.

Even though the prices are listed, it still says they are "coming soon", which who knows what the means (in terms of "availability).

I'm planning on getting these as soon as possible, but if anybody has the cash and gets them first, let us know how they come out. I'm very curious to see how they'll compare to the Bilstein, Carlsson and KW setups.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blk thing
very very nice! 10q for the info.

i sure will be in the line to get this set-up as soon as they come out ... can't wait!
Old 04-11-2005, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What makes you guys want Tein's more than H&Rs or KWs or Bilstiens or Carlssons?

Do you know who winds their springs? Or if they use another companies struts/shocks?
Old 04-11-2005, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Originally Posted by nukblazi
What makes you guys want Tein's more than H&Rs or KWs or Bilstiens or Carlssons?

Do you know who winds their springs? Or if they use another companies struts/shocks?
Same questions I was gonna ask. But then again nuk and I got great prices on our KWs .

flip
Old 04-11-2005, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport

I've known a few peeps with M3's and my cousins have them on their cars as well. All of them swear by TEIN's. I've driven some my cousins' cars (Mitsubishi Galant / EVO VIII MR) and I love the feel of the suspension.

nukblazi, don't know who winds the springs, but if you know, please enlighten me. I'm just going based on other people's experience with the TEIN coilovers (in particular the Super Street coilovers).
Old 04-11-2005, 10:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally Posted by drexappeal
nukblazi, don't know who winds the springs, but if you know, please enlighten me. I'm just going based on other people's experience with the TEIN coilovers (in particular the Super Street coilovers).
Yeah, many Honda people swear by them, which is why I'd be interested in 'em. Plus, 16 levels of dampening would be nice. Besides, their mascot is so damn cute!
Old 04-11-2005, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

nukblazi, wanted to let a while go by until I asked you, but how do you like the KW's? Noticed you indicated some fitament problems with your H&R's before and possibly needed to put in spacers.

Are you having the same problems with the KW's? How's the comfort/performance factor on those?

I haven't set myself on TEIN's, but based on performance/price, those are my number 1 option right now. I like the 16 levels of dampening available (the little increments make a difference), even though the bottom, middle and top settings will in essence, be the same. My 2nd option will probably be the Bilstein's. Carlsson RS's are a little too expensive for my needs and since the platform for the Carlsson's are based on the Bilstein shocks, I see no significant reason to get the Carlsson's (aside from the fact that Carlsson is an MB specific tuner). The KW's are last on my list (mostly because I don't know too much about them and haven't heard any significant information that would change my mind).

If you could fill me in on how you like them, my decision could be swayed (which would be a good thing because I'll be able to make a logical decision on my setup). My mind won't be made up until I drop the $ to my installer for my rims and my coilovers.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
I've heard good things about TEIN's.
I opted for the CARLSSON (Bilstein) RS kit. I think both are highly good set-ups.

16 levels of dampening is a plus, not sure you might ever use the full range, but it's a "nice to have". The CARLSSON-BILSTEIN RS set-up also allows for dampening (9 or 10 points), and so far I've only used it in about 2 or 3 different settings.

You're right though, CARLSSON is a MB specific tuner.

At this point, I think it comes down to $$$ on how much you want to throw at it:
TEIN vs CARLSSON.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by Saprissa
I've heard good things about TEIN's.
16 levels of dampening is a plus, not sure you might ever use the full range, but it's a "nice to have". The CARLSSON-BILSTEIN RS set-up also allows for dampening (9 or 10 points), and so far I've only used it in about 2 or 3 different settings.

You're right though, CARLSSON is a MB specific tuner.

At this point, I think it comes down to $$$ on how much you want to throw at it:
TEIN vs CARLSSON.
Absolutely, Saprissa. Thought about not really using the full range, but like you said, I thought it was a "nice to have" option, but not necessarily something I was gonna be using all the time.

Did you pay the full amount for your Carlsson RS's? That actually is the ONLY reason I wouldn't get them right now. Just can't seem to justify it in my head, knowing that TEIN has the good reputation it has for suspension set ups and is much more "affordable" to me. We'll see what happens.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Dr.,
I got a considerable discount on the CARLSSON RS due to a special relationship I have with my MB tuner. Mostly based on the amount of work I've had done to my car there. The full price is a bit scary, and I too would have gone for something more "affordable", although it's all relative at some point.

I say, if it's just a $$$ thing, then definitely go with the TEIN.

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
Old 04-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by Saprissa
Dr.,
I got a considerable discount on the CARLSSON RS due to a special relationship I have with my MB tuner. Mostly based on the amount of work I've had done to my car there. The full price is a bit scary, and I too would have gone for something more "affordable", although it's all relative at some point.

I say, if it's just a $$$ thing, then definitely go with the TEIN.

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
Carlos, that's dope man! It's always good to get hookups. Majority of it is a $ decision, but part of the decision that is still wavering is the MB tuner thing. I always said that if I hook up my Benz like I did my MX-6 before, I'd do it the "right" way. In other words, "don't go cheap"...LOL. I'm still wavering, but considering the deal that I'll probably get on the TEIN's, I'll probably stick with those once they truly become available.

As far as I've heard, even if the price is already on the website, my cousin still had to wait another 4-6 months for them to actually be "available" to the public. He said that the price was listed on their website (for the Galant/Eclipse - almost identical chassis platform) for around that long before anybody was able to actually buy them.

Who knows, maybe I'll be able to get a great deal by that time that'll compete with what I'm going to be getting the Super Street TEIN's for. We'll just have to see.

Drex
Old 04-11-2005, 04:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Unfortunately, their website's saying "Not Compatable" as far as the EDFC's concerned.

So your "wishlist" (and mine!) may never happen.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by tommy
Unfortunately, their website's saying "Not Compatable" as far as the EDFC's concerned.

So your "wishlist" (and mine!) may never happen.
Tommy, I know! I hope that they find a way to make it compatible. If not, oh well, but I was all set to mount the EDFC where the Ash Tray is! It would've been a nice spot for the EDFC.

I actually already have my email in to TEIN about that. Still haven't gotten a reply, so I'll post whatever they say once I receive a reply. I tried to call them, but they put me on hold too long.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Here's an update from TEIN (replying to my email)

Yes we are still in development for application for the W203. However, you would need to contact the Mercedes dealer to ask if the fitments are the same for the 240 and 230 models. Unfortunately, we have not test fitted the 240 and 230 yet. Thank you for your interest in Tein High Performance Suspension Products.

Best regards,
Sales

JH Staff @ TEIN USA INC.
9798 Firestone Blvd.
Downey, CA 90241
Phone: (562)861-9161
Fax: (562)861-9171
www.tein.com
From what I gather, since the other coilover setups seem to be working fine for C230 (coupes and sedans), I don't see any reason why it wouldn't fit, so unless somebody else can find a good reason to check with MB for fitament issues with regard to different models, I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume that the TEIN's will fit just like any of the other coilovers.

As for the 240's, even though they haven't tested, I don't think that'll be a problem at all.

I have a reply email in to them regarding the EDFC (once again, cuz it wasn't answered in this email) and the time frame that they expect "development" to be concluded and have the coilovers actually available for purchase.

I'll give you all updates once I receive them.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

While I'm no expert on inter-C class product swapping, I did just look at H&R's website, and the part # was the same for the c/o application for the sedan (230/320) and the 230 coupe.
I guess that my only concern if they are compatable is that they have different weight distributions, and that maybe the sedan/coupes should have different spring rates. Of course, I could be wrong because I have a very low suspension IQ.

As far as the 240, if you're modding it, you're silly.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

While I'm no expert on inter-C class product swapping, I did just look at H&R's website, and the part # was the same for the c/o application for the sedan (230/320) and the 230 coupe.
I guess that my only concern if they are compatable is that they have different weight distributions, and that maybe the sedan/coupes should have different spring rates. Of course, I could be wrong because I have a very low suspension IQ.

As far as the 240, if you're modding it, you're silly.
Ha- I have your answers young Jedis.

Fitment issues. Simply a matter of a 235 tire with a hude rim protector on a 17x8.5 wheel up front. SSR fitment thread With pics

KW installation was great, their design of the upper wheel carrier mount is amazing, perfect, strong, and easier to get a wrench on. KW install thread With pics

What are coilovers? Thread here.

The Carlssons are just the PSS-9 system with a bigger price tag. (Mono-tube)
The PSS-9 isn't exactly readily available, so is expensive. (Mono-tube)
The H&R is a H&R wound spring and Bilstein shocks/struts (Mon-Tube)

The KWs are Eibach springs and Koni internals. It is NOT a mono tube, so you can dial in rebound without relatively adjusting bump (compression). This is good because compression stays static, you don't end up with a dynamically performing strut.

I love the KWs, they are great, and KW has a different part number for the coupe over the sedan. Why? The coupe and sedan require different spring rates and different valving and have slightly different geometry. How do I know this???

The H&R spring perch would rub my 235 Toyo's on my stock C7s. There was a much larger gap with the OEM strut. The KW for the coupe provides ~ more inside wheel clearance. I couldn't even bolt my SSR and PS2 235s onto the car with the H&R, with the KWs, it's just barely touching the housing.

YES, you can use the H&R, Carlsson, and PSS-9 on the coupe, but it's not exactly right. It works, in Tommy's case, it's a DD and would be fine, Tommy's not putting 19"s and 235s up front anytime soon. For me, I suffered with fitment issues. Stock I could fit my 245s up front, no rubbing.

You need to find out if they use another company's parts/kits/complete systems... Sorry to the Carlsson folks who paid full price but, you only over paid for a PSS-9 system with Carlsson branding.

I like my KWs better than the H&Rs, but I race the car. If not, there's no need for adjustment really. The only benefit is that you can soften the ride a bit. Too soft and it will be bouncey, too stiff and it'll be too rigid.

A lot of Spec series races mandate Bilsteins. However, I am not sold on the mono-tube design. Spec series use tactics to limit performance, to equalize it. Moton's, Penske's, now those are some serious struts/shocks. KW's are at that level, but from what I've read they are my choice over the others, and through our source we could've gotten any of the systems for around the same price. So $ wasn't the determining factor.

The Autohaus Pmpano team USED to use the TEINs, not the KW Race, so I dunno, but you never know who's using a sponsors equip, i.e., paid to use it. The switched to Moton's, which is the top top of the line. $5000 for the full system in most cases.

I personally recommend KWs for people not flinching at the price, but the H&Rs work and are cheaper, the ride is stiff but good, and the handling is predictable and consistant. I almost used the H&R springs with my KW struts/shocks.

Tommy, my car was corner weighted, it was fine.

Thomas
Old 04-11-2005, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Thomas, you're the freakin' Man!...LOL...Thanks for all the info. I found some useful information that is listed on the Japan website that isn't on the USA website:

http://www.tein.co.jp/compproe.html

From what I can deduct, they fabricate both their springs and shocks, therefore the coilovers are completely TEIN parts.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Just got an email from them - here it is:

Thomas,

Currently we still in development for our Super Street & Basic application for the sedan and coupe. Please check back with us in 2-3 months for release dates. Thank you for your interest in Tein High Performance Suspension Products.

Best regards,
Sales

Geez, check back in 2-3 months to find out how much longer to wait? Makes KW sound good!
Old 04-12-2005, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Just got an email from them - here it is:

Thomas,

Currently we still in development for our Super Street & Basic application for the sedan and coupe. Please check back with us in 2-3 months for release dates. Thank you for your interest in Tein High Performance Suspension Products.

Best regards,
Sales

Geez, check back in 2-3 months to find out how much longer to wait? Makes KW sound good!
LOL...Hahaha...Tommy, check out the reply they gave me for my 2nd email!

Thank you for you interest in Tein High Performance Suspension Products. Unfortunately, we are still awaiting release dates from Japan. Please check back with us in 2-3 months. Thanks again for your patience and support.
Can't say I wasn't anticipating this though, based on what my cousin told me his experience was waiting for the Galant/Eclipse setup to be available. Hopefully, within that 2-3 month span, they'll find a way to make the EDFC compatible! Now that would definitely be worth the wait!

My cousin has the EDFC on his car and it is is nice! Although it's the ultimate in laziness (instead of actually going underneath the hood or trunk to adjust), it's still cool to have the controls available at the touch of a button or two! Well, guess I'll just have to be patient. Kinda good though, cuz it'll give me time to save up for both my rims and the Super Street's so that I can get them all at once.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

TEIN needs your help for fitment...

Alright guys,

Just got off the phone with a TEIN representative (Mark Masuda). They were interested in using my car 2004.5 230 K SS for fitment. Unfortunately, I can't afford to offer up my car for the possible duration of days they would need it - 1 day (minimum, assuming that all the parts would be the same as the 240/320 in terms of fitment).

In order for them to start offering the coilovers to the public, they need to make sure they test all the possibilities (to offer a "quality" product).

So, that being said, they are looking for someone who would be willing to offer up their C 230 Kompressor Sport Sedan for fitment. Like I mentioned above, if the fitment works exactly as it did for the 240/320 that they've already tested, it will be a minimum of 1 day that you would not have your car. Mark mentioned that they want a sedan first because they tend to be heavier than coupes. They would rather go with "heavier" fitments first because it will be easier to deal with the lighter coupe versions once they have completed sedan fitments.

They will need the car during Business hours M-F.

Anybody interested? For those that are, you can contact TEIN USA, which is in Downey, CA (Southern California/Los Angeles area)

TEIN is located at:
9798 Firestone Blvd. Downey, CA 90241 U.S.A.
Phone Number 562-861-9161

Mark Masuda is the guy that I spoke with, but if you can't get in touch with him, he said that anybody over there can help you out. Somebody please step up to the plate! If I could afford giving up my car for a couple days, I would, but there's no way I can afford to do that right now. No buses run through my area (I live in the hills, so closest bus stop is 5 miles up and down a bunch of hills).

Last edited by drexappeal; 04-13-2005 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Alright guys,

Just got off the phone with a TEIN representative (Mark Masuda). They were interested in using my car 2004.5 230 K SS for fitment. Unfortunately, I can't afford to offer up my car for the possible duration of days they would need it - 1 day (minimum, assuming that all the parts would be the same as the 240/320 in terms of fitment).

In order for them to start offering the coilovers to the public, they need to make sure they test all the possibilities (to offer a "quality" product).

So, that being said, they are looking for someone who would be willing to offer up their C 230 Kompressor Sport Sedan for fitment. Like I mentioned above, if the fitment works exactly as it did for the 240/320 that they've already tested, it will be a minimum of 1 day that you would not have your car. Mark mentioned that they want a sedan first because they tend to be heavier than coupes. They would rather go with "heavier" fitments first because it will be easier to deal with the lighter coupe versions once they have completed sedan fitments.

They will need the car during Business hours M-F.

Anybody interested? For those that are, you can contact TEIN USA, which is in Downey, CA (Southern California/Los Angeles area)

TEIN is located at:
9798 Firestone Blvd. Downey, CA 90241 U.S.A.
Phone Number 562-861-9161

Mark Masuda is the guy that I spoke with, but if you can't get in touch with him, he said that anybody over there can help you out. Somebody please step up to the plate! If I could afford giving up my car for a couple days, I would, but there's no way I can afford to do that right now. No buses run through my area (I live in the hills, so closest bus stop is 5 miles up and down a bunch of hills).
Dude??? What's a loaner? 25 -40 a day... need a loan punk?
Old 04-14-2005, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Hahaha...Thomas, that's hilarious man. Actually, it didn't sound like they would need the car for very long...Best thing is that whoever can afford to do this during weekdays should call to see how long Max. I lost interest once they said 1 day because my car is a daily commuter.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hahaha...Thomas, that's hilarious man. Actually, it didn't sound like they would need the car for very long...Best thing is that whoever can afford to do this during weekdays should call to see how long Max. I lost interest once they said 1 day because my car is a daily commuter.
Honestly, since it benefits the development of C Class products, I would be willing to go half with you or another person on a loaner (Max $40-$50/day) to let them test fit.

I've asked others for help on products we all "swear" we want and no one steps up. I need to set an example.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Honestly, since it benefits the development of C Class products, I would be willing to go half with you or another person on a loaner (Max $40-$50/day) to let them test fit.

I've asked others for help on products we all "swear" we want and no one steps up. I need to set an example.
Thomas, I appreciate the offer. Actually, I'm gonna talk to my cousin and see if he'd be down with me using his car for a day or two. He works at home, so he might be aight with it.

I'm reconsidering, but I'll probably call them sometime next week about it.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

Actually, that's pretty cheesy of them to not offer to pay for a loaner for you while you're helping them out. I'd understand if this were a one-off application from a local shop, but it's not.

Having said that, I'd pay the other half of Nuk's offer. There, you now have a free loaner, and no excuses. Yes, I'm serious.

Did Mark say anything about the EDFC??

Another weird thing - I'm pretty sure that the coupe is heavier than the sedan when equipped with the panorama sunroof. So they really should be testing the app on a ccoupe with the roof, following their logic.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TEIN Basic and Super Street coilovers (Update on post 177)...