Does anybody road race their C32's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 03:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300SEL
Originally Posted by Vadim @ evosport
Sounds like an interest in road racing C32s is going back up. This is a great news, for a while I gave up MB owners and road racing. Looks like it is time to dust out those drawing for suspension parts.

How about MB AMG vs. BMW M vs. Audi S on a Willow big track?
I think you have 3-4 kit sales that I know of for sure, if you can be cash positive from that, by all means do it. The C32 is in dire need of front camber and the offset bushing kits available now are unreliable.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
w212 E63 / 996tt
Thanks for the input everyone.
I'll be at the track with my brother who drives a M3 smg and his buddy in a Massarati. It should be lots of fun.

Vadim, I placed an order a week or so ago and I hoped it has already shipped. I need those heat spacers and sl55 y-pipe. They should arrive just in time.
Suspension mods.....interesting. I'll be in line for some big sway bars and so forth after I realize my car is not track worthy
Old 10-10-2005, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
Originally Posted by schwarzwagen
I think you have 3-4 kit sales that I know of for sure, if you can be cash positive from that, by all means do it. The C32 is in dire need of front camber and the offset bushing kits available now are unreliable.
Don't hold your breath for any camber kits to come on the market. There is no way to increase the front negative camber without major cost or by losing front tire size:

If you increase the length of the front lower control arm the front tire is pushed out so far that the tire will contact the fender.

In order to push the top of the front strut in you will need a custom coilover with smaller diameter front spring. Too expensive.

Just use the 10 cent washer method and get your -2.5 camber and be done with it. Granted -2.5 is not enough for the C32, it will still only ride on half the front tire through the turns, but it is all we can get.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
P51aviator, I will see today if I can make the 16th date. 1:38 is hard to believe, but I will take your word for it. The only way it is possible is to run the speed you suggest in turn 8, which most people aren't comfortable doing, is if you maintain full throttle with minor adjustments out of six all the way to the braking zone before turn nine and trail brake into nine maintaining 95mph through the apex, you will hit over 145 on the front straight prior to turn entry into turn one. This would be good for a few seconds at least. I couldn't do it in a stock suspension with ESP off, but I commend you for holding on through that section. You must be an outstanding and experienced driver.

When did you get your car and why did you decide to buy a C32?
Old 10-10-2005, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
think you have 3-4 kit sales that I know of for sure, if you can be cash positive from that, by all means do it. The C32 is in dire need of front camber and the offset bushing kits available now are unreliable.
This is exactly what I thought too. I have an idea I want to try out. it might work or it might not, we will have to see.

Vadim, I placed an order a week or so ago and I hoped it has already shipped. I need those heat spacers and sl55 y-pipe. They should arrive just in time.
Suspension mods.....interesting. I'll be in line for some big sway bars and so forth after I realize my car is not track worthy
Let me have Mike at sales check on your order.

Thank you everyone for their interest in suspension for C32s. I will put it back on my development list and will keep you guys updated.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smgC32
P51aviator, I will see today if I can make the 16th date. 1:38 is hard to believe, but I will take your word for it. The only way it is possible is to run the speed you suggest in turn 8, which most people aren't comfortable doing, is if you maintain full throttle with minor adjustments out of six all the way to the braking zone before turn nine and trail brake into nine maintaining 95mph through the apex, you will hit over 145 on the front straight prior to turn entry into turn one. This would be good for a few seconds at least. I couldn't do it in a stock suspension with ESP off, but I commend you for holding on through that section. You must be an outstanding and experienced driver.

When did you get your car and why did you decide to buy a C32?
There are an easy 2-3 seconds on the turn 8-9 entry/exit speeds. 9 scares a lot of people; so does 1. I carry a lot of speed through 8-9-1, and the only time I lift after 6 is on entry to 8 and when I brake for 9. It's a SCARY ride in this car, but a helluva rush!! My line through 8 is fairly straight (hard to explain). My speeds are based on when I took a look at the speedo - honestly, I'm not staring at the speedo through 8 and 9, but I saw 120+ at the apex of 8; Kind of have my hands full. I'm definitely over 140 on the front straight before braking for 1, which I do very late and carry a LOT of speed through that corner.

We bought the car for my wife about 15 months ago. We had a child, I sold the Z06, gave my wife the Tahoe and inherited the C32 (which didn't accommodate the car seat too well). The C32 purchase was an impulse buy; we went in for a larger sedan, but once I test drove the C32 it was sold. Never thought I'd drive it more than part time, but it's been my daily driver for about a year now. It ended up at the track out of curiosity more than anything.

It would be cool if you and a few others could make it on the 16th. It's good fun and it would be nice to see what guys have done to mod the C32.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Originally Posted by Zeppelin
Don't hold your breath for any camber kits to come on the market. There is no way to increase the front negative camber without major cost or by losing front tire size:

If you increase the length of the front lower control arm the front tire is pushed out so far that the tire will contact the fender.

In order to push the top of the front strut in you will need a custom coilover with smaller diameter front spring. Too expensive.

Just use the 10 cent washer method and get your -2.5 camber and be done with it. Granted -2.5 is not enough for the C32, it will still only ride on half the front tire through the turns, but it is all we can get.
Exactly, Cyn had that problem when he was running the offset bushings...
Old 10-10-2005, 06:25 PM

'07 E63; 05 C55 gone; '02 C32 gone;1996 SL320;1978 280CE Gone
Vadim: Don't forget those of us who now have the C55. We need camber too. What is the washer method for getting -2.5 degrees camber? I put in camber bolts and got about 1.5 degrees. I suggested washers, and the tech at the dealer said that it could not be done with washers.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by p51aviator
I just replied to CynCarvin -

My buds got the track on 11/16, so if you or anybody else can make it, could be fun. Only hard part is that it's on a Wednesday.

I'll see if I can talk some of my buds in to bringing out some of their toys...

Here's the link to register for the 16th: http://www.opentrackracing.com/otrev...istration.html
November 16th? Willow Springs? I’m a member of the Motor Press Guild (MPG). We have the Streets of Willow all day Wednesday November 16th and both tracks on Thursday November 17th. The 16th is Tuner and Factory Performance Day. There should be plenty of toys on the streets. Rob Allen (AMG Product Manager for Mercedes-Benz USA) spoke to us in March at the MPG luncheon. I’m hopeful that some preproduction 6.3 liter information will be available as well as the usual AMG press fleet.

MPG track days basically consist of manufacturers bringing their cars out for a day with the press. Spending all day, at speed, in manufacturer’s cars, on their nickel with no limits is hard work - but somebody’s go to do it. I'll try to find some time to wander over on Wednesday to see you hot shoes at work.

Here are some photos from previous MPG track days. Having driven a Z06 at willow, the last shot should be familiar to you.
Attached Thumbnails Does anybody road race their C32's?-rentwreck.jpg   Does anybody road race their C32's?-rentwreck2.jpg  
Old 10-10-2005, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by schwarzwagen
Exactly, Cyn had that problem when he was running the offset bushings...
but all u need to do is roll the lips a bit and then do the by hand fender rolling to get rid of the rub!

Honestly with rolled lips a bit of rub wont hurt because there is no rough metal to cut the tire. Not classy buts do able. We know it an issue and if we have to put on some flares or crack all the paint and re-do it AGAIN we will

Quest for camber.... will stop at nothing!
Old 10-11-2005, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by MarcusF
November 16th? Willow Springs? I’m a member of the Motor Press Guild (MPG). We have the Streets of Willow all day Wednesday November 16th and both tracks on Thursday November 17th. The 16th is Tuner and Factory Performance Day. There should be plenty of toys on the streets. Rob Allen (AMG Product Manager for Mercedes-Benz USA) spoke to us in March at the MPG luncheon. I’m hopeful that some preproduction 6.3 liter information will be available as well as the usual AMG press fleet.

MPG track days basically consist of manufacturers bringing their cars out for a day with the press. Spending all day, at speed, in manufacturer’s cars, on their nickel with no limits is hard work - but somebody’s go to do it. I'll try to find some time to wander over on Wednesday to see you hot shoes at work.

Here are some photos from previous MPG track days. Having driven a Z06 at willow, the last shot should be familiar to you.
I'll probably be the only 4-door running in the red group again. Hard to miss. You should see us flying by from your seats as we roll through turn 8. Stop by and say hello, and if you need some help working out those manufacturer rides, let me know!

I'm going to see if my friend Mike can bring out some of his Trans-Am cars or other assorted wicked toys. There was a new Z06 with manufacturer plates on it last month when they ran. I've even been on the track with an original GT-40 if you can believe that. Never know what you'll see out there with this group.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:17 AM

I'm just thrilled that this topic came up. I'd love to track my car, but only if I can actually have fun doing it - and I came to MB from M3 land (three generations! ), so I'm spoiled. Vadim, count me in on suspension mods. Even for the street, the C32 needs a LOT of work!
Old 10-11-2005, 01:00 PM

Roseylv, what organization are you driving with? Big track or Streets?

P51aviator, I will call and sign up today. See you there! Are you planning on taking your car to the Streets as well?
Old 10-12-2005, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
The formula is no secret for setting up a street/track car. And a lot of good suggestions have been mentioned. I've made every mistake possible in setting up street cars for the track and I'm passing this vaulable information on to you. The dilemma is a 3400lbs car needs to be stiff to run at tracks like WSIR. You will never achieve a low 1:30s car with a C32 and still have it streetable to run the spring rates necessary for those times. If you want to wear a kidney belt to drive on the street then go for it.

If you are as good a driver as you say you can have a ball beating up a lot of so called hi performance cars. I've seen lightweight BMW M3's run low 1:32's and they had a lot less hp than the C32. But they weighed 2700lbs!

My list would be as follows in this order.
Saftey equiptment (belts, bars and seat) assuming you have helmet and gloves.
Brakes (pagid pads and Castrol SRF fluid)
Wider wheels ft and rear with R compound tires.
At this point I'd take a racing school. If your still interested in the car you haven't put a ton of $ in it.
Springs and shocks (I don't think Renntech are stiff enough for your application.) You need to see a suspension guru (like a Jae Lee in San Diego who does all the national record holders) This will be way cheaper in the long run.
Bigger brakes
Last, more horsepower.

Like most enthusiasts (track junkies) will start in reverse order. Just can't help the DNA.

BTW, 1:31 at WSIR in a C5 ZO6 on street tires is amazing. The late Paul Mumford ran a prepared Viper on Hoosiers and ran a 1:31.43 at Viper Days.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
w212 E63 / 996tt
smgc32...the organization is Fast Lane and our half day event is on the streets of Willow.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:26 AM

Roseylv, what organization are you driving with? Big track or Streets?

P51aviator, I will call and sign up today. See you there! Are you planning on taking your car to the Streets as well?
I think the C32 would fair better at streets, and would love to try it, but no I'll just be at the Big Track for the day.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Brady
BTW, 1:31 at WSIR in a C5 ZO6 on street tires is amazing. The late Paul Mumford ran a prepared Viper on Hoosiers and ran a 1:31.43 at Viper Days.
I think Paul also rolled a mid 30's in his Benz, did he not? Correct me if I'm wrong, but he was well in to the '20's in his Viper before he got the Comp Coupe.

You knew Paul?
Old 10-14-2005, 04:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by p51aviator
I think the C32 would fair better at streets, and would love to try it, but no I'll just be at the Big Track for the day.
having driven with smg in his C32 for upwards of 10 track days at the streets the car has no business being there. It only kills the tires, destroys the brakes ( a full race brake kit too), nukes the motor, and sucks up 3 tanks of gas in a day.

The big track is where the car belongs and we will see you on the 16th for sure. Looking very forward to it!
Old 10-14-2005, 11:54 AM

Are best times are in the 1:33's at the Streets and the car is a handful. This is a good time for any street car, but it could be an awsome car if it was built right to begin with from the factory. We destroy and cord front tires by lunch time and have to carry spares. The bushings don't like the berms, ESP can't decide what to do even when off, the inside rear tire smokes like a fireworks show, and it takes four tanks of gas door to door, usually netting 5.68mpg. More camber in the front and an LSD, and we think we could run in the 1:30-1:31's which is quite a feat in a W203.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Are best times are in the 1:33's at the Streets and the car is a handful. This is a good time for any street car, but it could be an awsome car if it was built right to begin with from the factory. We destroy and cord front tires by lunch time and have to carry spares. The bushings don't like the berms, ESP can't decide what to do even when off, the inside rear tire smokes like a fireworks show, and it takes four tanks of gas door to door, usually netting 5.68mpg. More camber in the front and an LSD, and we think we could run in the 1:30-1:31's which is quite a feat in a W203.
No the bushings dont like non intentional kerb hopping!

keep it on the road this time!!!!
Old 10-14-2005, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
The formula is no secret for setting up a street/track car. And a lot of good suggestions have been mentioned. I've made every mistake possible in setting up street cars for the track and I'm passing this vaulable information on to you. The dilemma is a 3400lbs car needs to be stiff to run at tracks like WSIR. You will never achieve a low 1:30s car with a C32 and still have it streetable to run the spring rates necessary for those times. If you want to wear a kidney belt to drive on the street then go for it.

If you are as good a driver as you say you can have a ball beating up a lot of so called hi performance cars. I've seen lightweight BMW M3's run low 1:32's and they had a lot less hp than the C32. But they weighed 2700lbs!

My list would be as follows in this order.
Saftey equiptment (belts, bars and seat) assuming you have helmet and gloves.
Brakes (pagid pads and Castrol SRF fluid)
Wider wheels ft and rear with R compound tires.
At this point I'd take a racing school. If your still interested in the car you haven't put a ton of $ in it.
Springs and shocks (I don't think Renntech are stiff enough for your application.) You need to see a suspension guru (like a Jae Lee in San Diego who does all the national record holders) This will be way cheaper in the long run.
Bigger brakes
Last, more horsepower.

Like most enthusiasts (track junkies) will start in reverse order. Just can't help the DNA.

All great points and I agree fully. We have done almost all those mods already but maybe some even stiffer springs would help. The Carlsson kit is firm but clearly increasing the shock valving and not the spring rate is far from ideal.

We have more upgrades planned andthis car will be quick!

As for the lap times in a street tire Z-06, I agree SCCA cars dont run nearly that quickly and they have serious suspensions and hoosiers. But im always open to being proven very wrong!
Old 10-14-2005, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
having driven with smg in his C32 for upwards of 10 track days at the streets the car has no business being there. It only kills the tires, destroys the brakes ( a full race brake kit too), nukes the motor, and sucks up 3 tanks of gas in a day.

The big track is where the car belongs and we will see you on the 16th for sure. Looking very forward to it!
My Z06 was pointless there. The ricers with wings ate me up.

Glad to hear you'll make it on the 16th. Should be fun.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:14 AM

AMG C43, 1999
Well I may have to come down to Willow with my 1999, AMG C43 for all this fun and BS.

I hope I can get into the low 1:30's with my car. Only time will tell. But I do not have any of the tire wear issues you guys have.

Jeff

Last edited by speedybenz; 10-16-2005 at 02:30 AM.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:18 AM

Speedy, try and come out tht day. I already registered. Oh, and by the way, could you make me a set of double wishbones like your car so I can make it past the third session without resorting to testing the strength of Dunlop's steel belts...
Old 10-17-2005, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Speedy, try and come out tht day. I already registered. Oh, and by the way, could you make me a set of double wishbones like your car so I can make it past the third session without resorting to testing the strength of Dunlop's steel belts...
no kidding, outside tread blocks commiting mass suicide is not a pretty site to behold.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does anybody road race their C32's?