C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Does anybody road race their C32's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does anybody road race their C32's?

I used to open track race quite a bit, although it was previously in a Z06 Corvette, but since the C32 is all I got now - she went to the track a few weeks ago!

I went to Willow Springs (Big Track) and ran a few 20 minute open track sessions. Completely cooked a set of brand new tires, but learned alot about the limits of the stock C32. This car is great in a straight line, but man does she suck in racing conditions.

On the way home, I came to the conclusion it was Mod time! I had no idea that setting the car up for some fun weekend road racing would be so difficult!

Can anybody that has road raced their C32 chime in? I'm looking for ideas on how to get the suspension under control, get some decent additional power, and additional braking in to the equation? I see a ton of vendors mentioned, but which ones are race-ready?

Also, has anybody outfitted their C32 with 5pts, racing seat and roll bar? Where did you get the parts. I can't even seem to find autocross stuff that is sold to bolt in to the C32.

I've been searching for months, but can't seem to find anybody that's mod'd their C32 for road racing.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:13 AM
Almost a Member!

I'm sorta in the same situation. I love my C32 but I realized quickly that this car is not designed for the twisties.. I'm going to start with a set of Bilstein PSS9's, a set of H&R swaybars, and a new set of tires. As for braking I don't think there are any upgrades available that would be better than the stock AMG calipers. So for no I'm going to get a decent set of Porterfields.

Good Luck
Old 10-08-2005, 11:30 AM

02 C32R
you might want to (like he said) upgrade the pads to porterfield, get some ss braided lines and better brake fluid.. all of which can be found here click here browse around and you will find all the above plus a few other brake components you might want.. please keep us posted as to what you find for suspension upgrades that work since I will be doing this in the coming year..
Old 10-08-2005, 10:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who did you drive with at Willow Springs? What was your lap time?

Want to continue tracking a car? Get your Z06 back! If you are a serious track junkie, you will never be satisfied regardless of how much money you toss at this car. In stock form, the car is way too soft in suspension when driven at its limit. Even with agressive coilovers, it does not "feel" like a track car, but can be very fast, just not as engaging as other cars and definately not as rewarding to drive, although the C32 will probably do similar times when mod'd. Most owners who will lap that track in the high 1:50's and 2:00's will think the car is fine and capable, as you are not driving it at its limit. At the high 1:40's, the car starts to fall off in cornering capabilities. At mid 1:40's stock, the car is a mess, riding on its bump stops and offering a numb feel and lack of responsiveness, pushing in the corners and unsteady under heavy braking. I don't think anyone can run a sub 1:40 in a stock C32 at that track. At the C32's fastest lap speed, you will cord the left front front tire in one day at that track. At the Streets of Willow, you will cord a set of fronts by lunch! The C32 is severly camber challenged when pushed to its limits and there is little you can do about it except drive slower, or cut the strut towers and install custom camber plates with at least 3 degrees of negative camber.

Suspension upgrades will help significantly. The Bilstein PSS-9 and KW V2 coilovers are preferred for the track over the H&R's, but the Bilsteins are not very comfortable for street driving compared with stock or the H&R's. RENNtech springs are a favorite upgrade and make a big difference. Stoptech makes a great BBK for the car. H&R sways are the way to go. Schroth does not make a four point belt approved for the car. Custom roll bar is the only way to go as no one makes a "standard" fitment. Run Motul RBF600 fluid and upgrade the pads to a higher temp pad capable of 1,000+ degrees. Porterfield's are one of only a few pads available for the car. Fortunately, the big track is easy on brakes.

99.9% of MB owners don't track their cars, unlike many Corvette and BMW owners which has a huge aftermarket for their needs.

Good luck. Let us know what you do.

What tires were you running and how did they look after each session?
Old 10-08-2005, 10:32 PM
Almost a Member!

Hmm my C32 is my daily driver... I was thinking about purchasing the Bilstein coilovers next spring. I thought if I set them half way it would be better than the stock suspension. I wonder if I should look at the KW's instead.

I'm surprised more owners don't track their cars. Is it because the C32 is better suited for the dragstrip?

Thanks
Old 10-09-2005, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by smgC32
Who did you drive with at Willow Springs? What was your lap time?

Want to continue tracking a car? Get your Z06 back! If you are a serious track junkie, you will never be satisfied regardless of how much money you toss at this car. In stock form, the car is way too soft in suspension when driven at its limit. Even with agressive coilovers, it does not "feel" like a track car, but can be very fast, just not as engaging as other cars and definately not as rewarding to drive, although the C32 will probably do similar times when mod'd. Most owners who will lap that track in the high 1:50's and 2:00's will think the car is fine and capable, as you are not driving it at its limit. At the high 1:40's, the car starts to fall off in cornering capabilities. At mid 1:40's stock, the car is a mess, riding on its bump stops and offering a numb feel and lack of responsiveness, pushing in the corners and unsteady under heavy braking. I don't think anyone can run a sub 1:40 in a stock C32 at that track. At the C32's fastest lap speed, you will cord the left front front tire in one day at that track. At the Streets of Willow, you will cord a set of fronts by lunch! The C32 is severly camber challenged when pushed to its limits and there is little you can do about it except drive slower, or cut the strut towers and install custom camber plates with at least 3 degrees of negative camber.

Suspension upgrades will help significantly. The Bilstein PSS-9 and KW V2 coilovers are preferred for the track over the H&R's, but the Bilsteins are not very comfortable for street driving compared with stock or the H&R's. RENNtech springs are a favorite upgrade and make a big difference. Stoptech makes a great BBK for the car. H&R sways are the way to go. Schroth does not make a four point belt approved for the car. Custom roll bar is the only way to go as no one makes a "standard" fitment. Run Motul RBF600 fluid and upgrade the pads to a higher temp pad capable of 1,000+ degrees. Porterfield's are one of only a few pads available for the car. Fortunately, the big track is easy on brakes.

99.9% of MB owners don't track their cars, unlike many Corvette and BMW owners which has a huge aftermarket for their needs.

Good luck. Let us know what you do.

What tires were you running and how did they look after each session?
OK - sounds like you may be a fellow track junkie!

I drove with a bunch of buddies that rent out the track on Wednesdays once per month. More info on the open tracking at http://www.opentrackracing.com Several of my buds are now running NASA Pro, one of them (Paul Mumford - Rest in peace) was at the top of the game in his privately owned Viper comp coupe. I've also got a few friends racing Cup and one guy that owns a Trans-Am team. Every time I hang out with these guys, the addiction kicks in again!!

I was running consistent 1:31's on street tires on the big track. I got the C32 down to a 1:38 but it was painful! I was on the track for a total of about 40 minutes that day, and creamed a new set of tires. Front left took the worst beating. I could only get about 2-3 hot laps before the tires gave up. Tires were nothing special - stock size, Pirelli's or something like that. The car dives in pretty hard and the balance is all off. Turning corners at 100MPH was hard without a 5 pt harness as well. I had to work a different line, and with the traction control off (well, mostly off I guess) I was able to get it to drift pretty well and get my corner entry/exit speeds up. I was ROLLING through turn 8 at about 120-125, but it was SCARY, especially exiting turn 9!!!

When I had the Z06 I was getting decently fast and the car was lean on safety equipment. I had an off-track excursion at ButtonWillow at about 140 MPH, almost rolled it and pretty much decided to get a purpose built car at that time. Additionally, my pro racing buddies were giving me tons of crap about running a street car on a track. My dedicated track car will be in the spec racer direction, probably with a Stohr DSR or something similar. Radicals are cool, but WAY overpriced. Guys are getting the Radicals and Stohr's down to 1:19 and lower at WSIR if you can believe that!

Anyway, until I get that purpose built ride, the C32 is it. Problem is that apparently NOBODY makes any autocross or racing gear for these things. I have already started fabricating some stuff (harness bar, seat brackets for my racing seat, timing equipment holder). I'm entertaining the idea of doing a few mods and going for my track record in the Z and beating it with the AMG.

Hell, maybe it's just cheaper to get a shifter kart to keep the skills sharp, and leave the little C32 alone...well, maybe not COMPLETELY alone!
Old 10-09-2005, 04:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
w212 E63 / 996tt
Good timing of this thread! I am going to Willow Springs on the 16th (Sunday) for a half day. I have already purchased a set of new tires (BFG G-force sport) at a reasonable price and will see how they hold up. I was told by a few friends to bring a spare tire or two just in case. Is this a good idea? I currently have no suspension mods and will probably find myself doing the basic mods after my first track day.

A question for all the track stars...
Will I be able to drive my car home (las vegas) after the track day is over? Will my brakes still b e usable and or reliable?
Old 10-09-2005, 08:33 AM

Obsidian E55
Use your last lap to cool down your brakes/discs.

Aftewr exiting the track DO NOT APPLY THE HAND BRAKE for a good 15/20 minutes to allow for brakes to cool off completly, otherwise they will all melt/stick together.

As for the condition of the tyres you will be able to judge that for yourself after your session if they are still road worthy or not.

Have a great day and enjoy/be careful too.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
Originally Posted by p51aviator
I was ROLLING through turn 8 at about 120-125, but it was SCARY, especially exiting turn 9!!!
Sorry but a stock C32 will not go through turn 8 at Willows at 120-125mph. At about 110mph it will push off the outside of the track. Even my C32 with plenty of front suspension mods will run off turn 8 at anything over 120mph.

Maybe your car is not stock or your speedo is off
Old 10-09-2005, 12:52 PM

The C32 will never see a 1:31 regardless of mods at the big track. Your 1:31 is the fastest time I have ever heard of in a Z06 with street tires. Was your car stock, or fully modd'd? At 1:38, that puts your time within a few seconds of EvoSport's time with a modd'd C32. Were you using an in-car timer? Were you running Pirelli's or what is something else? What does the tire look like after two sessions? What were the hot and cold air pressures and temps?

Let us know how your harness bar looks. Can you post a picture of the prototype?
Old 10-09-2005, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Roseylv
Good timing of this thread! I am going to Willow Springs on the 16th (Sunday) for a half day. I have already purchased a set of new tires (BFG G-force sport) at a reasonable price and will see how they hold up. I was told by a few friends to bring a spare tire or two just in case. Is this a good idea? I currently have no suspension mods and will probably find myself doing the basic mods after my first track day.

Will I be able to drive my car home (las vegas) after the track day is over? Will my brakes still b e usable and or reliable?
In a half day, you should be fine to drive home. Although full tread street tires tend to chunk at track events, but you probably will not drive more than 90 minutes in a half day. Be sure to heat cycle the tires several days before the event. Are you driving the big track or the Streets? Change your brake fluid before the event if you have not done so in the last 12 months. Even if you boil your fluid, you will be OK on the drive home as the system will not be operating over 400 degrees F on the freeway. The big track is easy on brakes, but the Streets will eat them for (and by) lunch!

Let us know how it was.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
H&R sways are the way to go.
Steve, are you running the H&R swaybars? I am thinking of having a 30mm front bar built and then maybe change the rear to something stiffer if required. The M3 and other front strut type suspension systems are running 30mm front and 25mm rear bars. I think it will help even more than the 26mm H&R bar.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Zeppelin
Sorry but a stock C32 will not go through turn 8 at Willows at 120-125mph. At about 110mph it will push off the outside of the track. Even my C32 with plenty of front suspension mods will run off turn 8 at anything over 120mph.

Maybe your car is not stock or your speedo is off
I'll take you for a ride, if you like. Maybe you need to work on your line.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:14 PM

The C32 will never see a 1:31 regardless of mods at the big track. Your 1:31 is the fastest time I have ever heard of in a Z06 with street tires. Was your car stock, or fully modd'd? At 1:38, that puts your time within a few seconds of EvoSport's time with a modd'd C32. Were you using an in-car timer? Were you running Pirelli's or what is something else? What does the tire look like after two sessions? What were the hot and cold air pressures and temps?

Let us know how your harness bar looks. Can you post a picture of the prototype?
I've got some friends that are sub :30's on streets in both Vipers and Vettes. Keep in mind that the guys that are dropping in to the hight '20's are running R Compounds with mods. I maintain low '30's on the stock Eagle F1's. Actually a pretty good tire, in my opinion.

My Z06 was mod'd; putting out close to 450 HP at the crank (I think the dyno was near 390 RWHP) but it's been a while.

As for the C32.

Best time was second session, air pressure dialed in from first session, 2nd lap, no traffic. Yes, I'm running Motul, no I didn't notice any braking issues. It was still a pretty cool track just starting to warm up. I had a clean line and was following a buddy around the track

I've got a lot of laps there, and went out with low pressure on the left side, especially low on the left front (27-28). Tires were showing wear after first session, and pretty much cooked after second session. Left front close to corded, but I expected as much.

In car timer is a hot-lap.

I'm more than happy to meet anybody at the track that is interested. I really don't mind backing up my times at the track; I'll lay them down again.

Anybody that runs WSIR knows that some days are good, some days are not. Track conditions, weather, and whatever doesn't break or tweak when you are there are all factors.

As for next trip out, I was considering getting some extra wheels with some R Compounds. Sparco seat and harness bar will be in.

I'll post pictures in the next few weeks. I honestly haven't worked on this for a while and I'll need to dig it out. Basically, it's the same concept as the hardbar used in the corvettes.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
sounds so fun! i have gots to get my car to the track.

may i suggest, 1 piece forged 18" wheels + KW V2 or 3 + H&R sway bars + michilin PS2

and do a before and after on the track time. i think you will see a significant difference.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
I'll take you for a ride, if you like. Maybe you need to work on your line.

Both Zepp and SMG (and my self) have spent many days at willow and there is no way the C32 can run that quickly through turn 8 let alone run a 1:38.

At the euro tuner shootout three years ago RENNtech ran their car which had 400 hp, a big brake kit and suspension work (on Sport cups) and that car ran a 1:36.xx. This was with a professional driver from the ALMS.

If SMG can put a 1:37 down with his modded (but still stock motor) car there is no chance your car can run a 1:38.

Your times all seem to be about 10 seconds off. A good friend runs with NASA in his 500+ hp S4 road race car (3000 lb car -- no interior no ac no heater nothing) and he walks right past all but the faster full road race Z-06 cars. His lap time at big willow is a 1:31.

I think we need to make a trip to big willow....
Old 10-09-2005, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars and boats!
ill admit that im more of a drag strip junkie then a track junkie but for the track, I know a set of good tires will help greatly... the Kumho V700 or even the MX are great when warmed up. I think the Kumho MX is a great compromise b/w a full rain/street tire and a tire for teh track.

as far as suspension, I have renntech springs but im going to try a set of front and rear swaybars to kill off that massive body roll (speaking from experience at autocrossing).

As far as brakes, my Stoptech BBKs are already sitting in my room, should be installed next week. (thanks to Neal @ www.euroteckmotorsports.com )

I think my motor is putting down enough power to the wheels... it doesnt need to be touched anymore.

Im going to try tracking my car at Homestead Speedway in South FL soon after I get all the above mentioned mods!!
Old 10-09-2005, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
Sounds like an interest in road racing C32s is going back up. This is a great news, for a while I gave up MB owners and road racing. Looks like it is time to dust out those drawing for suspension parts.

How about MB AMG vs. BMW M vs. Audi S on a Willow big track?
Old 10-09-2005, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Vadim @ evosport
Sounds like an interest in road racing C32s is going back up. This is a great news, for a while I gave up MB owners and road racing. Looks like it is time to dust out those drawing for suspension parts.

How about MB AMG vs. BMW M vs. Audi S on a Willow big track?
whats this about suspension parts????
Old 10-09-2005, 11:25 PM

Hey Vadim, sign me up!

P51, next time you go let me know and I will join you. It will be nice to show the other marques what an MB can do at the track.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
whats this about suspension parts????
Front and rear camber kits, bigger sway bars (bigger than earlier kit), stiffer bushings and whatever else it will take to put W203 chassis on equal footing with other makes.

Give me PM or e-mail for more details.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by CynCarvin32

Both Zepp and SMG (and my self) have spent many days at willow and there is no way the C32 can run that quickly through turn 8 let alone run a 1:38.

At the euro tuner shootout three years ago RENNtech ran their car which had 400 hp, a big brake kit and suspension work (on Sport cups) and that car ran a 1:36.xx. This was with a professional driver from the ALMS.

If SMG can put a 1:37 down with his modded (but still stock motor) car there is no chance your car can run a 1:38.

Your times all seem to be about 10 seconds off. A good friend runs with NASA in his 500+ hp S4 road race car (3000 lb car -- no interior no ac no heater nothing) and he walks right past all but the faster full road race Z-06 cars. His lap time at big willow is a 1:31.

I think we need to make a trip to big willow....
You're killin' me dude!! 10 seconds?? Man - you must have some slow friends! No offense, but if you friend has the S4 you mention, and is only throwing down a 1:31, he should give it to somebody that can drive.

I got plenty of people that know what I throw down at Willow; I've got no reason to BS you. Maybe I just got a little more right foot than other people you know.

Why don't you let me know when y'all are going to be there, and I'll join you and lay down the sub 1:40 for ya in person...in my stock...yes, stock, C32...and I'll drive it home.

This is almost as amusing as when the Viper guys thought they could spank the Vette guys. There's plenty of guys with fast cars, but a whole lot less can drive them.

Not that I got anything to prove to you...but here ya go:

http://www.opentrackchallenge.com/re...ass_02_ws.html

OTC, 2004, 5 laps and we moved on. I was the driver, car #32. Please note the 1:328 on street tires in the Z06. Not a 1:31 but hell it wasn't even my car. I was co-driving with the owner, and I'd only driven the car for 15 min before I got those times and we had to move on to the next track.

We've got the track rented on November 16. Click here to register: http://www.opentrackracing.com/otrev...istration.html

Let me know who wants to go and let the smack begin!
Old 10-10-2005, 03:08 AM

Hey Vadim, sign me up!

P51, next time you go let me know and I will join you. It will be nice to show the other marques what an MB can do at the track.
I just replied to CynCarvin -

My buds got the track on 11/16, so if you or anybody else can make it, could be fun. Only hard part is that it's on a Wednesday.

I'll see if I can talk some of my buds in to bringing out some of their toys...

Here's the link to register for the 16th: http://www.opentrackracing.com/otrev...istration.html
Old 10-10-2005, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Roseylv

Don't get crazy and you'll be able to drive it home. No prize money, no point in over-doing it and destroying the car.

Unless you have the space, I'd probably pass on hauling tires with you and just buy one on the way home if you need it, but that's just me.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
You're killin' me dude!! 10 seconds?? Man - you must have some slow friends! No offense, but if you friend has the S4 you mention, and is only throwing down a 1:31, he should give it to somebody that can drive.

I got plenty of people that know what I throw down at Willow; I've got no reason to BS you. Maybe I just got a little more right foot than other people you know.

Why don't you let me know when y'all are going to be there, and I'll join you and lay down the sub 1:40 for ya in person...in my stock...yes, stock, C32...and I'll drive it home.

This is almost as amusing as when the Viper guys thought they could spank the Vette guys. There's plenty of guys with fast cars, but a whole lot less can drive them.

Not that I got anything to prove to you...but here ya go:

http://www.opentrackchallenge.com/re...ass_02_ws.html

OTC, 2004, 5 laps and we moved on. I was the driver, car #32. Please note the 1:328 on street tires in the Z06. Not a 1:31 but hell it wasn't even my car. I was co-driving with the owner, and I'd only driven the car for 15 min before I got those times and we had to move on to the next track.

We've got the track rented on November 16. Click here to register: http://www.opentrackracing.com/otrev...istration.html

Let me know who wants to go and let the smack begin!
hmm, OTC, eh? The S4 guy that was mentioned did OTC as has another friend of ours with a fully prepared E46 M3. He did a few open laps with me in the passenger seat, through turn 8; he was ~135-138mph, maybe hit 140 once. I don't think we have ever done 120 *around* 8 when the C32 was stock. Coming *in* to 8 yes, all day long, but that speed could not be carried around 8 in its entirety. To my recollection.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does anybody road race their C32's?