Does anybody road race their C32's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
What a sleepy thread... j/k

You guys still planning on hitting the track next week? As JAME55 would say "Vids and pics, please"
Old 11-10-2005, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chappy
What a sleepy thread... j/k

You guys still planning on hitting the track next week? As JAME55 would say "Vids and pics, please"
This thread totally fell asleep!

I'm absolutely going to be there. I don't know about vids, but will definitely take some pics and post them back here.

SMG, you going, right? Anybody else?
Old 11-10-2005, 01:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
I've been lurking on this thread since it started and it's the best car thread EVAR!

I really appreciate the even tone and obviously experienced posters and it might be sad, but this thread just makes me want to go to the "Big Track" and do it up. I don't care if it I get 3:21 it sounds just awesome!
Old 11-10-2005, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Already registered! And I will be bringing three cars.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
The weather is scheduled to be better next week than today's dirzzle-fest.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:38 PM

It's great to see the C32 road racers out again. I stopped coming to this board because I thought that all the C32 road racers had left to other marquis. It is great to hear from everybody again.

I too used to track my car and had a lot of fun doing it. After spending much money on wheels, suspension and brakes I still wasn't satisfied. The problem is that the limit is very fleeting in this car and without adequate feel it is hard to tell when you might overstep it.

I haven't tracked my car at all this year because I now race go-karts. They are much faster and I actually get to race and pull of divebomb passes instead of waiting for a wave by to pass. Also i compete against young gunz who are aspiring to be the next great racer so the competition is hard to beat.

I do miss my C32 and hope to take it back out to the track next year. I hope that EvoSport will have some new developments by then. I plan to keep this car for a few more years and take it to the track some more. Sometimes going 100mph in a go kart 1" off the ground just doesn't have the same level of comfort as clicking away hot laps in a luxurious leather interior with AirConditioning and music in the backgournd

Also would be interested to hear what times are like for the streets of willow course. I raced it in my go-kart and want to see what a 30hp machine posted compared to a 350hp machine.

Good luck and take some videos if possible.

Prasith
Old 11-10-2005, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Prasith32
It's great to see the C32 road racers out again. I stopped coming to this board because I thought that all the C32 road racers had left to other marquis. It is great to hear from everybody again.

I too used to track my car and had a lot of fun doing it. After spending much money on wheels, suspension and brakes I still wasn't satisfied. The problem is that the limit is very fleeting in this car and without adequate feel it is hard to tell when you might overstep it.

I haven't tracked my car at all this year because I now race go-karts. They are much faster and I actually get to race and pull of divebomb passes instead of waiting for a wave by to pass. Also i compete against young gunz who are aspiring to be the next great racer so the competition is hard to beat.

I do miss my C32 and hope to take it back out to the track next year. I hope that EvoSport will have some new developments by then. I plan to keep this car for a few more years and take it to the track some more. Sometimes going 100mph in a go kart 1" off the ground just doesn't have the same level of comfort as clicking away hot laps in a luxurious leather interior with AirConditioning and music in the backgournd

Also would be interested to hear what times are like for the streets of willow course. I raced it in my go-kart and want to see what a 30hp machine posted compared to a 350hp machine.

Good luck and take some videos if possible.

Prasith
I am down to a 1:34.8 and SMG is down to a low 1:33

not to bad for a C32

the 325is track car does the same stunt in 1:29.xx
Old 11-10-2005, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by smgC32
registered and ready to drive!!!!

see u there!
Old 11-10-2005, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
Unfortunately, I will not be able to make it to the track.

The good news, is that we are making progress to add more camber to the front and will be posting more info on the products, pricing and availability very shortly.

Thank you for your interest.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:07 PM

Cyn, SMG,

I raced there in the summer on a rotax single gear kart and I was running laps of 1:25.xx and a hot lap of high 1:24. In a shifter the fast time is more like a 1:20.xx. That track is so tight it would feel small even for a formula ford.

Any of you all interested in racing some go-karts. I will be down there in So-Cal for a big race on Dec 2-3 and have a good friend that owns a kart shop that can rent some out for the day. I will be glad to show some of you car guys around

Prasith
Old 11-10-2005, 10:27 PM

I want to go! Sign me up. I will take the day off. What track?
Old 11-11-2005, 02:06 AM

smg,

Here are the details. There is a race on December 3-4th that I will be racing in. It is the last race of the season and it is a very competitive field. I expect 20+ people in the class that I am running.

I am also going to be testing/practising on December 2nd and that is just an open track day. I will also be practising on December 4th or 5th (not sure which day yet).

You can join on either of those days (Dec 2nd or 4/5) though I think the 4th/5th will have a lot less traffic for sure.

Also if you are interested you may be able to participate in the race given your past racing experience. Though I have to warn you the speed on these things takes a little while to get the hang of (at least for me). Also the kart does not tolerate much jerkiness (brake or steering) at all unless you like spinning. I am sure you would be ok though.

PM or email me if you are interested. I will check and see if my friend has another kart available.

Anybody else interested in some karting? I must warn you that these are not your little fun karts. The have over 4 times the power and 1/3 the weight.

The only downside is that you will get hooked faster than any drug and then start thinking how much kart racing your C32 can fetch.

Prasith
Old 11-11-2005, 02:12 AM

Sorry to do a little thread hijacking there.

Back to road racing these beasts. How do you feel the carlsson performs on some of the bumpy sections of the streets track. I know the stock suspension felt very floaty over bumps.

Are the KW's any better?

Prasith
Old 11-11-2005, 12:18 PM

The Carlsson's perform quite well at SOWs. Given their extremely stiff characteristics, there is absolutely no float at all. The real problem is keeping the power on the ground with the open diff. LSD anyone

will pm you regarding the karting. Dec 2,4, or 5 is OK. Shifter or auto?
Old 11-11-2005, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
Originally Posted by Vadim @ evosport

The good news, is that we are making progress to add more camber to the front and will be posting more info on the products, pricing and availability very shortly.

Vadim,

Will this kit allow the non trackers to correct the front camber back to stock?
Old 11-12-2005, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by smgC32
Three??
Old 11-13-2005, 12:15 PM

Paul Mumford (rest in peace) and my M5 at Willow Springs....

P51 aviator-

If you hung out with the Mumford crew, I am sure that we have met. I went to a bunch of the Viper events.

I did not know Paul very well, but I met him many times. He was absolutely the best amateur driver that I have ever seen. At one of the Willow Springs events I started talking to him about cars and racing - I had my 2003 M5 with me and asked him if he would take me and some of my buddies out on the track for a few laps to see what line he was using.

Three of us jumped in the car with Mumford and he did about 10 laps. The best time was 1:38 in my stock M5 with three passengers! When we got back in the pits someone came over and mentioned that he did a 1:38 - in is coc ky manner, he replied that if he knew people were timing him then he really would have pushed it.

He then got in his Viper with street tires and did a 1:30 or 1:31.

The Open Track events were amazing. I have never participated, but I did go out and see some of the laps. Mumford really dominated with his Viper. He was really something to watch.

Last edited by lange; 11-13-2005 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by lange
P51 aviator-

If you hung out with the Mumford crew, I am sure that we have met. I went to a bunch of the Viper events.

I did not know Paul very well, but I met him many times. He was absolutely the best amateur driver that I have ever seen. At one of the Willow Springs events I started talking to him about cars and racing - I had my 2003 M5 with me and asked him if he would take me and some of my buddies out on the track for a few laps to see what line he was using.

Three of us jumped in the car with Mumford and he did about 10 laps. The best time was 1:38 in my stock M5 with three passengers! When we got back in the pits someone came over and mentioned that he did a 1:38 - in is coc ky manner, he replied that if he knew people were timing him then he really would have pushed it.

He then got in his Viper with street tires and did a 1:30 or 1:31.

The Open Track events were amazing. I have never participated, but I did go out and see some of the laps. Mumford really dominated with his Viper. He was really something to watch.
PMUM was a stud, and checked out far before his time. I would have loved to taken that ride in the M5!

I think he got into the high :20's on street tires in his Viper. He was sick fast in his Comp Coupe! I got to do the parade lap with him at Laguna Seca when he won the Speedvision race there a few years ago. It's a good memory.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
Where are the pics? I passed through the big track on my way to the Streets of Willow on Wednesday. I saw a couple of C240’s in the parking lot. Were any C32’s on the track?

At the big track on Thursday, MBUSA provided us with a CLS, SLK, R, SL, and two CLS55's. We had full access to everything except the CLS55’s. They brought those out at lunch where Tommy Kendall (MB driver) was giving ride alongs during the break. In the hands of a competent driver, that is one unbelievably fast car. For me, riding with a factory/pro driver always redefines what fast really is. The driver in the Ford GT photo is Parnelli Jones. Ford had him give ride alongs as well.
Attached Thumbnails Does anybody road race their C32's?-rentwreck2.jpg   Does anybody road race their C32's?-rentwreck.jpg  
Old 11-18-2005, 06:36 PM

C32
Go-Karts

Prasith32,

I too race go-karts (not to get off the C32 subject too far), but if anyone is interested in driving your ///AMG to Sacramento, CA. I can get our track in Davis for 1/2 day to do some hot laps. I could provide 10 karts + the kart track. It would have to be durring the week. If intrerested, or would like details, e-mail me at: craig@ddicentral.com
Old 11-18-2005, 09:26 PM

'14 428i M-Sport, '02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Vadim @ evosport

thanks vadim sounds like a good plan, please keep us updated how about a monoball conversion for all the linkage we could use the turn in response and plus could get more out of our alignments. i'm sure people road racing c32's wouldn't mind a little extra noise or stiffness - the c32's too soft, even with h&r coilovers.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by MarcusF
Where are the pics? I passed through the big track on my way to the Streets of Willow on Wednesday. I saw a couple of C240’s in the parking lot. Were any C32’s on the track?
I think we all blew it on the pics, but there were a lot of people snapping them so when I find some at the other website, I'll bring them over.

It was good to meet SMG and CYN - it was a blast. 2 C32's on the track, and DANG SMG has some mods!! I threw in the H&R coil over set-up on the night before track day and was on the track without any tuning and the car ran a 1:40. The original AMG suspension was a lot more predictable, but I think once I get the suspension dialed in, it will run consistent high :30's. The tires were crap and the suspension needs work, but the difference between my car and SMG's car was amazing. The H&R feels a little too soft and some more camber would have certainly helped the front left tire a bit!

Time to keep modding....need more power, brakes and tire!! Hell, maybe its time to just buy a Z06 again and keep this as my daily driver!

Good day though, a lot of fun!
Old 11-19-2005, 12:47 AM

'14 428i M-Sport, '02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by p51aviator
I think we all blew it on the pics, but there were a lot of people snapping them so when I find some at the other website, I'll bring them over.

It was good to meet SMG and CYN - it was a blast. 2 C32's on the track, and DANG SMG has some mods!! I threw in the H&R coil over set-up on the night before track day and was on the track without any tuning and the car ran a 1:40. The original AMG suspension was a lot more predictable, but I think once I get the suspension dialed in, it will run consistent high :30's. The tires were crap and the suspension needs work, but the difference between my car and SMG's car was amazing. The H&R feels a little too soft and some more camber would have certainly helped the front left tire a bit!

Time to keep modding....need more power, brakes and tire!! Hell, maybe its time to just buy a Z06 again and keep this as my daily driver!

Good day though, a lot of fun!
sounds like a fun day. i need to get my car prepped for track as well. i need some brake pads and lines, proper alignment and corner balance, sway bars, and a set of good tires. i have H&R coilovers on my car, have had them for quite some time. i agree H&R is still too soft...but please explain wut u mean by dialing them in. are you talking about letting the suspension settle or fiddling with the ride heights? because the H&Rs are only height-adjustable to my knowledge. what can we do about the camber? i hear the front tires are too positive - does anybody make camber plates or something? and the speedybenz camber arms are only for the rears, i think? anyway, sounds like it was a fun day - the c32's aren't designed to track but it's not all that uncapable i think, with the proper setup.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by KompressorKev
...but please explain wut u mean by dialing them in. are you talking about letting the suspension settle or fiddling with the ride heights? because the H&Rs are only height-adjustable to my knowledge..
Yes, I mean working with the ride height, and experimenting with tire combinations and pressures. When I left the house Wednesday morning, the car was lowered exactly 1 3/4" all the way around. When I got home, all four corners were someplace else; the car definitely settled. I found a guy locally that does alignments so I'm going to take it in to him and start working with it; I'll hit WSIR every month or so and see what the results are. After riding in SMG's car, I want to rip the H&R stuff out and replace it with some adjustable shocks/struts and different springs!

Tomorrow I'm going to raise the car back up some. It's sitting almost 2" lower in the front which is just too much for me. Riding like a ricer!
Old 11-19-2005, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
Let me know the next time you guys head out to WSIR, I just installed C55 struts and shocks on my C32 and they are a little too stiff on the street for my taste, but should prove better on the track. I C32 struts with the H&R springs was perfect on the street, but a little under-damped on the track.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does anybody road race their C32's?