Question for the experience AMG owners!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 C55 AMG
Question for the experience AMG owners!

I love my new C55 but my only concern is that, a couple of days after I got it, the engine stalled when I shift from park to reverse to drive. I brought it back to the dealership and they checked everything and said nothing was wrong, the only thing they could come up with was the fuel in the car and they tested that and it came out okay. It hasn't happened again.

The other thing is that it seems a little slow of the start. I can't tell if they engine is still learning my driving style or if the transmission has an issue. Should I be flooring the pedal to feel the 362hp? Somedays the engine is great espically on the highway but sometime i feel like the transmission doesn't want to shift to the next gear.

Any help would be great!
Old 11-03-2005, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Compared to my wife's A4 1.8T and other Honda cars I have driven in the past, both the C240 I had and my current C55 have fairly slow "throttle response" when pressing the accelerator lightly. Push the pedal a little more, and the car flies with speed. It's very gradual, and I've gotten use to it. If you're coming from a car with quicker throttle response, you may feel like the car is sluggish off the start. Just learn to press the pedal more to get speed.

I think Mercedes deliberately does this to ensure that most drivers get smooth, non-jerky acceleration from a stop (compared to other brands). Also, make sure you have the transmission in "S" mode. If you're in "C" mode, the car starts in 2nd gear and it feels even more sluggish.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:54 PM

2005 C55 AMG
If you want a quicker downshift hold the gear shifter to the left for a second, it will go to optimum gear selection and fly.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:58 PM

C55 SILVER / ASH
Originally Posted by AMGpowerc55
I love my new C55 but my only concern is that, a couple of days after I got it, the engine stalled when I shift from park to reverse to drive. I brought it back to the dealership and they checked everything and said nothing was wrong, the only thing they could come up with was the fuel in the car and they tested that and it came out okay. It hasn't happened again.

The other thing is that it seems a little slow of the start. I can't tell if they engine is still learning my driving style or if the transmission has an issue. Should I be flooring the pedal to feel the 362hp? Somedays the engine is great espically on the highway but sometime i feel like the transmission doesn't want to shift to the next gear.

Any help would be great!
I don't know about thee stalling but like two M cars I owned previously, the throttle truly keeps digging with every milimeter you push down. Try it in M mode or S and make sure you are not in C.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:04 PM
Almost a Member!

'06 C55 AMG
Thanks for the help! I try it out!!
Old 11-03-2005, 06:39 PM
Almost a Member!

02 C32 AMG 05 E55 AMG
I was wondering about that too...Since my C32 is a lease return..it also only has 27k miles on it..and the preivious owners were older..so i'd imagine they didn't work the car often..how long does it usually take for the car to get used to you? I still feel the jerky motions between 1-2.

Originally Posted by AMGpowerc55

Any help would be great!
Old 11-03-2005, 06:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Many people have claimed the TBA reset has a nice effect for this kind of thing.

I did it and I swear it feels more...linear I guess?...but it's hard to know for sure.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:58 PM

2002 c32
Originally Posted by rockgt302
If you want a quicker downshift hold the gear shifter to the left for a second, it will go to optimum gear selection and fly.
Do you mean 'hold it' or do you mean just flick it over there to down shift one gear?...if it's the former, I've never heard of that and how do you (or the car rather) define 'optimum'.

If it's the latter, I wouldn't call that gear optimum - often I had to go left 2-3 times to get that one

Just curious.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:11 PM

2002 c32
Originally Posted by Bif powell
Do you mean 'hold it' or do you mean just flick it over there to down shift one gear?...if it's the former, I've never heard of that and how do you (or the car rather) define 'optimum'.

If it's the latter, I wouldn't call that gear optimum - often I had to go left 2-3 times to get that one

Just curious.
I tried this tonight. I see what you mean. Very cool. Every day I find new things to love about this car
Old 11-04-2005, 07:44 AM

2005 C55 AMG
You have to hold it for about a sec or 2
Old 11-04-2005, 12:19 PM

My car seem to adapt my driving style form minute to minute. say if I drive the car very hard for few minutes, the transmission suddenly become more responsive. If I drive in slow going traffic for like 10 mins, the transmission becomes lazy again. Lazy means premature upshift and unwilling to kick down.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Not sure about AMG cars.... but a Porsche technician told me that Cayenne's computer samples the last 6 miles of driving behavior..... if you're agressive, then the car will adjust.... I think AMG should have something like that also.