Needs oil?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 BMW X3M Comp
Needs oil?

Everytime I fill up, I check the oil. My oil level has always come back okay until yesterday. The car is always warm and sits long enough for the oil to run back down into the pan.

When I checked the oil level after filling up, it said "add 1qt." for the very first time. I re-did the check and it said oil level was okay. So I tried it a 3rd time to make sure and it said it was okay again. Later that day, I started to think about why, after only 3000 miles since my last oil change I could need 1qt of oil.

So I ran it again. This time it said "add 1.5 qt." WTF!?!? I ran it again, it said okay then the 3rd time, it said "add 1 qt". I decided to run it a 4th and final time and it said "add 1qt"

What would you do? I keep on getting different results. As of now, I'd rather be down 1 qt than be over 1 qt. Is there a way to manually check our oil? I want to be sure.

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2005, 11:53 PM

'05 C55 AMG
add one quart

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/118738-oil-level-question.html
Old 11-07-2005, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
Originally Posted by genechien
Thanks but it doesn't quite address my issue about the multiple readings. If it consistantly said add 1 qt, there would be no question but my results varied too much. Also, my car didn't pop up the message like someone in that thread implied. I ran the oil level check on my own and those were the results.

Some of those guys responding in that other post were *****s about it anyway and I would have a hard time taking advice from those idiots.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:38 AM

'05 C55 AMG
hmm i think that somewhere in the manual it says that you should wait 30 mins after driving the car to measure the oil so try measuring the oil on two different morning, before you start the car and while it's still cold. i think you get the best results then.

also, i think on another thread they mentioned that you can buy a dipstick from mercedes and manually measure the oil...why they didn't think to include a dipstick that probably costs $1 or less to make in China is beyond me
Old 11-07-2005, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by NY C32
Everytime I fill up, I check the oil. My oil level has always come back okay until yesterday. The car is always warm and sits long enough for the oil to run back down into the pan.

When I checked the oil level after filling up, it said "add 1qt." for the very first time. I re-did the check and it said oil level was okay. So I tried it a 3rd time to make sure and it said it was okay again. Later that day, I started to think about why, after only 3000 miles since my last oil change I could need 1qt of oil.

So I ran it again. This time it said "add 1.5 qt." WTF!?!? I ran it again, it said okay then the 3rd time, it said "add 1 qt". I decided to run it a 4th and final time and it said "add 1qt"

What would you do? I keep on getting different results. As of now, I'd rather be down 1 qt than be over 1 qt. Is there a way to manually check our oil? I want to be sure.

Thanks!
This may sound stupid but I have to ask - did you park your car at the same spot when you took your readings and was the car level ?