C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

to upgrade plug wires, or not??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32R
to upgrade plug wires, or not??

OK, I have been thinking of upgrading the plugs and wires. I know I will want the denso iridium IK16's, but what plug wires do I go with?? I know there are magnacore wires, but what does everyone recomend??
Old 12-02-2005, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
I want to do this type of upgrade as well, could you tell me what this does?

Any performance increase?

Dinko
Old 12-02-2005, 02:12 PM

02 C32R
Originally Posted by dinko
Any performance increase?

Dinko
well I am not 100% sure, but I have a feeling it should add a little hp/tq. I think by adding a cooler plug, and when you can get a better "spark" via wires then it certainly cant hurt... I am just trying to find my options and how much $$ it will take to do this. I dont want to spend too much on this "mod", but if its just a few hundred I think it might be worth it. I havent done a lot of searching, but EVOsports sells this "package" for over $500... I didnt get a cost breakdown from them, but I found some denso iridium plugs for $10 a plug ($120 there) and I am now looking for some wires, I cant imagine that the wires themselves cost $400 (maybe they do), but this is where I am, looking for my options in plug wires.... If anyone has some info on plug wires please let me know....
Old 12-02-2005, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
Evosport sells this stuff.

Vadim - what plugs and wires do you guys carry? What type of performance gains can we expect from this upgrade if any at all?

Where can we get them for $10 a plug?

Last edited by dragonAMG; 12-02-2005 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:47 PM

02 C32R
Originally Posted by dragonAMG
Evosport sells this stuff.
Where can we get them for $10 a plug?
yes, but they charge over $500 for 12 plugs and wires (I think it was like $530).. A little too rich for me.

oops well $10.75 Denso IK plugs and again I havent even started searching the internet for these plugs, I accidentally found them on this site...
Old 12-02-2005, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars and boats!
Originally Posted by Dead Ringer
yes, but they charge over $500 for 12 plugs and wires (I think it was like $530).. A little too rich for me.

oops well $10.75 Denso IK plugs and again I havent even started searching the internet for these plugs, I accidentally found them on this site...
i think magnecore (sp?) makes sparkplug wire set for our cars
Old 12-02-2005, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
Originally Posted by BenzoAMGpower
i think magnecore (sp?) makes sparkplug wire set for our cars
I found this site - http://www.ultrarev.com/ecart/shopdi...lass&Year=2005
Old 12-02-2005, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
well I am not 100% sure, but I have a feeling it should add a little hp/tq. I think by adding a cooler plug, and when you can get a better "spark" via wires then it certainly cant hurt...
I know a little about ignition systems. What makes you feel a colder plug is needed/will be of some benefit?
Old 12-02-2005, 05:11 PM

2002 SLK 32 AMG
OK, I have been thinking of upgrading the plugs and wires. I know I will want the denso iridium IK16's, but what plug wires do I go with?? I know there are magnacore wires, but what does everyone recomend??
don't you want the IK20's. on the denso application guide it says our cars need the IK20's ??
Old 12-02-2005, 07:57 PM

02 C32R
Originally Posted by amgstyle
don't you want the IK20's. on the denso application guide it says our cars need the IK20's ??
read this thread denso plugs

then as to the question in regards to a "colder plug?" yes you need when there is extra boost... here I pulled this from Car Craft, its just a small portion about plugs and why you need a colder plug when turning up the wick on your engine:

Heat Range

Controlling the operating temperature of the plug’s firing tip is the single most important factor in spark plug design. “Heat range” is the relative temperature of the spark plug’s core nose, and it is determined by the length and diameter of the insulator tip, as well as the ability of the plug to transfer heat into the cooling system. A “cold” plug transfers heat rapidly from its firing end into the cooling system and is used to avoid core nose heat saturation where combustion-chamber or cylinder-head temperatures are relatively high. A “hot” plug has a slower heat transfer rate and is used to avoid fouling under relatively low chamber or head temperatures. What’s confusing is that a “hotter” (higher performance level) engine requires a colder plug because more power equals higher cylinder temperatures.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Regardless as to whether a spark plug is considered hot or cold, the ideal temperature for the center electrode of a spark plug is between 930 and 1560 degrees Fahrenheit. In that range, the insulator is burned clean and the electrodes don't melt. If the electrode temperature falls and stays below 930 degrees F, combustion by-products build up on the insulator. This causes misfires, lower spark energy, and fouled plugs. The solution to that problem is to use a hotter plug. If the plug is too hot, the electrode can burn away and pre-ignition can occur. This results in holed pistons. Given a choice, you always want to err on the cold side with spark plugs, but this isn’t voodoo. Even with unleaded gas you can read a plug to see if it’s overheated. Using an EGT probe is another option. I think the best option is to put the car on a dyno and use the combination of an EGT probe and checking the HC and NOx levels. This will tell you exactly how the ignition system is doing on a moded car.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:07 PM

02 C32R
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Regardless as to whether a spark plug is considered hot or cold, the ideal temperature for the center electrode of a spark plug is between 930 and 1560 degrees Fahrenheit. In that range, the insulator is burned clean and the electrodes don't melt. If the electrode temperature falls and stays below 930 degrees F, combustion by-products build up on the insulator. This causes misfires, lower spark energy, and fouled plugs. The solution to that problem is to use a hotter plug. If the plug is too hot, the electrode can burn away and pre-ignition can occur. This results in holed pistons. Given a choice, you always want to err on the cold side with spark plugs, but this isn’t voodoo. Even with unleaded gas you can read a plug to see if it’s overheated. Using an EGT probe is another option. I think the best option is to put the car on a dyno and use the combination of an EGT probe and checking the HC and NOx levels. This will tell you exactly how the ignition system is doing on a moded car.

OK, well I was going to go with them since that is what a few others have switched to, plus I live in Phoenix Az and the temps here during the summer are, well kinda hot, and I was figuring that with the increased pressures I am running, I should probably look into getting a cooler plug. I should probably stop by DynoComp and have them plop my car onto their dyno to see how its running and if I would benefit from doing this.... Again I am trying to get info on whether this is a good mod. It looks like I can grab the wires for just under $100, and the plugs for $130, this is do-able, which is better than $500+ .
Old 12-02-2005, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
I can understand how a colder plug may seem to make sense. This is a common mod for turbo owners who crank up the boost. Unfortunately, many of these same boost-a-holics find that they have low speed drivability problems due to fouled plugs. I put about 70,000 miles on an Rx7 in a single year, mostly in AZ, and mostly in the summer, so I know it gets blisteringly hot out there. I also found out something else; Bosch FI systems have an intake air thermosensor. When the intake temps exceed a predetermined level, the FI logic will make the car run rich. Rich AF levels and cold plugs are a bad combination.

Having said that, cooler plugs may be an improvement. I can’t honestly say that I know one way or the other. If it were me, I'd pull a couple of plugs and have a look. If the porcelain is ultra white, or cracked (gulp), the insultator is melted, or there are metallic specs in the porcelain, then the plugs are way too hot. A little tan is what you hope to see.