C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Need Advice on Adding More Power to HPS SC

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.11 average.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Your tuning does not look that horrible and will only get a few more hp so I dont see this car becoming a real barn burner. People and see this blowe taken apart and say it has SERIOUS flow issues and will never be a worth product.
But some salesman told him that the new and improved MP122H will be awesome! He sees an opportunity to come out with a new product that is going to shake the industry up! So shut your mouth, this new modified HPS kit is about to become the new standard in forced induction! All he has to do is find some knowledgeable engineers to completely redesign the system, someone to fabricate and test the system, and a reputable tuner to tune the system, and BAM, he's got a product.

AMGSC, do I send my deposit straight to you?
Old 01-19-2007, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVE
At willow springs I walked right past you like you were a sitting duck -- all the way down the front straight. It happened several times too so I doubt it was a fluke. Your car, with all due respect, is not that quick. I also blew away superC55 with his HPS C55 so I know these car are not that quick at all. He got the clue however and yanked off all his blower bs and went back to stock with headers, cams and an airbox and his car is faster than it was with the big fancy blower. Ask him and he will openly agree that the C32 RENNtech blew him away over and over and over - at willow springs and on the freeway. And that was before the C32 had a serious intercooler upgrade.

Your tuning does not look that horrible and will only get a few more hp so I dont see this car becoming a real barn burner. People have seen this blower taken apart and say it has SERIOUS flow issues and will never be a worthy product. Several people have said they are shocked it even makes ANY power over a stock car with its flow pattern. It may be nice looking and polished but it is really a very poorly designed product.
I'd want to track with you someday :p.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by jgsx
But some salesman told him that the new and improved MP122H will be awesome! He sees an opportunity to come out with a new product that is going to shake the industry up! So shut your mouth, this new modified HPS kit is about to become the new standard in forced induction! All he has to do is find some knowledgeable engineers to completely redesign the system, someone to fabricate and test the system, and a reputable tuner to tune the system, and BAM, he's got a product.

My Paypal account is AMGSC. I don't accept personal checks.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
At willow springs I walked right past you like you were a sitting duck -- all the way down the front straight. It happened several times too so I doubt it was a fluke. Your car, with all due respect, is not that quick. I also blew away superC55 with his HPS C55 so I know these car are not that quick at all. He got the clue however and yanked off all his blower bs and went back to stock with headers, cams and an airbox and his car is faster than it was with the big fancy blower. Ask him and he will openly agree that the C32 RENNtech blew him away over and over and over - at willow springs and on the freeway. And that was before the C32 had a serious intercooler upgrade.

Your tuning does not look that horrible and will only get a few more hp so I dont see this car becoming a real barn burner. People have seen this blower taken apart and say it has SERIOUS flow issues and will never be a worthy product. Several people have said they are shocked it even makes ANY power over a stock car with its flow pattern. It may be nice looking and polished but it is really a very poorly designed product.

I "think" I agree with your second paragraph, but my car went around the track only once and Brandon was driving since I did'nt have a helmet (Now I have two) He was not pushing it since it was not his car. As for Brandon's car, he did plenty of laps BUT he did NOT have the HPS kit on at Willow Springs. IT WAS STOCK at the time.

I now have PSS9's and about to get custom tuning done tomorrow. With the Quaife installed. I think I might be the one doing the walking on somebody's line.

Since I've got a "little" sweating from my head gaskets, I've decided to replace them with thicker phenolic gaskets to reduce the compression ratio. With the valve covers off I might as well get the port and polish before putting on the smaller pulley to increase the boost to 10psi. Finally I will replace the Bosch intercooler pump with the Massive Johnson pump that's still sitting in the bubble-wrapped box. I hope MechTech is up for this.

Last edited by AMGSC; 01-20-2007 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by AMGSC
I would like some advice on how to add more power to my car without having to spend more than $5K. HPS advises against modifying/changing the ECU, Headers, Exhausts, Intakes or just about anything else.

What are Green Filters or K&N Filters? Will they help. What about LSD? Any other suggestions.

I'm happy with the HPS system because I don't want to spend over $10K on the Charger. I know that roots blowers are not quite as powerful as Twin-Screw blowers but power kicks in earlier (lower RPM) I also heard they are a bit more reliable and simpler. Can anybody tell what else separates the new Eaton Roots blower from the Lysholm?.

I just needed a little differentiation from all the others and the extra kick when changing lanes. I'm too old (45) to track the car or set any records but if the value is there I would consider adding a few more performance options just for fun.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
I now have PSS9's and about to get custom tuning done tomorrow. With the Quaife installed. I think I might be the one doing the walking on somebody's line.

Since I've got a "little" sweating from my head gaskets, I've decided to replace them with thicker phenolic gaskets to reduce the compression ratio. With the valve covers off I might as well get the port and polish before putting on the smaller pulley to increase the boost to 10psi. Finally I will replace the Bosch intercooler pump with the Massive Johnson pump that's still sitting in the bubble-wrapped box. I hope MechTech is up for this.
I just needed a little differentiation from all the others and the extra kick when changing lanes. I'm too old (45) to track the car or set any records but if the value is there I would consider adding a few more performance options just for fun.
This 2nd post by you AMGSC was taken from your very 1st post on this marathon thread...

Hey Godfather!! It appears this 45 year old has found the fountain of youth!

Last edited by Thericker; 01-20-2007 at 04:08 AM.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by Thericker
This 2nd post by you AMGSC was taken from your very 1st post on this marathon thread...

What's up brother! Long time no talk! I'm working for SB county now but out of Santa maria area Carrying a piece and all....
Old 01-20-2007, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Thericker

My son loves exotic cars since he was 2yrs old. Now he's got every car and motorcyle racing video game on the market. Too bad I can't afford one of those when he's licenced but at least his need for speed won't be dissapointed by this "hand-me-down". Of course, He would only race it on the track and I'd teach him to drive safely on public roads.

Besides, I guess I was never quite satisfied with the power I was getting and power IS addictive.

Last edited by AMGSC; 01-20-2007 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz

I "think" I agree with your second paragraph, but my car went around the track only once and Brandon was driving since I did'nt have a helmet (Now I have two) He was not pushing it since it was not his car. As for Brandon's car, he did plenty of laps BUT he did NOT have the HPS kit on at Willow Springs. IT WAS STOCK at the time.

You are very mistaken. Ask him and ask his tech (who was in the car when we went out for a run). His tech said lets go see which car is faster (because he just had finished working on both cars and swore the C32 was quicker) so we went down the 10 freeway and from the begining of the on ramp till we both let off the C32 walked away. I am not here to say his car is slow and I am not here to say your car is slow but I will say I ran against BOTH when they had the blower kits and both cars were slower than the RENNtech C32.

Maybe my point really is you need to scrap this project and start again with one tuner and make a car that really is quick. There are so many tried and tested kits available with real gains that this project is just pointless. SuperC55 took his kit off because his dyno plot looked just like yours and he finally gave up and started taking actions against HPS. You should do the same. Your motor is starting to self destruct so I hope you see this and sell the car and start again fresh.

When you are ready to do battle at willow let us know! I am always up for a good track battle. Time to beat? 1:36.xx!

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 01-20-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz

See I dont hate this guy but this thread is so old and dead that it just gets annoying. He keeps asking people what they think and EVERYONE says you are crazy and to scrap the project. Every time he comes back with some crazy idea of how to put a bigger patch on this leaking dam.

His car is now showing a leaking head gasket and he just thinks he should lowe compression and add more boost. This blower has been taken apart by two tuners and both said the flow out of the blower is horrible and that it basically pumps air into a brick wall instead of into an exit tube. So if AMGSC thinks he can start adding more boost his really is mistaken.

I
Old 01-20-2007, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by The Godfather
What's up brother! Long time no talk! I'm working for SB county now but out of Santa maria area Carrying a piece and all....
Yo bro!! are you working for the PO, PO? or at a Yogi park station? protecting picnic baskets??lol seriously though, that's great to hear! I'm happy for you man...We should meet up for that beer we never had...... pm me for new cellio#
Old 01-20-2007, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
My son loves exotic cars since he was 2yrs old. Now he's got every car and motorcyle racing video game on the market. Too bad I can't afford one of those when he's licenced but at least his need for speed won't be dissapointed by this "hand-me-down". Of course, He would only race it on the track and I'd teach him to drive safely on public roads.

Besides, I guess I was never quite satisfied with the power I was getting and power IS addictive.
That's kool man! I've watched you turn into a Modaholic, speed junkie, like the rest of us!!

Last edited by Thericker; 01-21-2007 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

His car is now showing a leaking head gasket and he just thinks he should lowe compression and add more boost. This blower has been taken apart by two tuners and both said the flow out of the blower is horrible and that it basically pumps air into a brick wall instead of into an exit tube. So if AMGSC thinks he can start adding more boost his really is mistaken.
I honestly think you may be right about the flow problems but Adam keeps telling me that the NON-AMG motors had no problem making over 400rwp. He claimed that the programming on the AMG motors forced custom tuning because the computer would not adapt to the blower. I have no proof of what he's saying. Both guys I know personally won their law suit against HPS and I was there to testify on their behalf but in the end all they got was something like $1,400 because HPS claimed there were missing components when they returned their kit. I figure I could make some power and then sell it on Ebay for a bit more than than that. Maybe it's a bad strategy but at least all the other mods I've installed and the ones I will install will be compatible with a Kleemann or Renntech kit. I've seen the Carlsson Catalog also but their SC kit is outragiously priced and Brabus does not make aftermarket SC kit.

Right now my car is with a custom tuner who will take an entire week to reprogram the ECU. Once I get it back I will reach a final verdict and post my dyno results. Even if it makes the 425rwhp that the tuner assures me of, I may still sell the kit because I fear that it's no longer a good idea to keep it. I doubt anybody on this forum would be interested since most members here are C32 owners but a few C55 owners might be interested on other forums and on Ebay.

Last edited by AMGSC; 01-20-2007 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:53 PM

Not an AMG :(
Adam keeps telling me that the NON-AMG motors had no problem making over 400rwp. He claimed that the programming on the AMG motors forced custom tuning because the computer would not adapt to the blower. I have no proof of what he's saying. Both guys I know personally won their law suit against HPS and I was there to testify on their behalf but in the end all they got was something like $1,400 because HPS claimed there were missing components when they returned their kit. I figure I could make some power and then sell it on Ebay for a bit more than than that.
Right now my car is with a custom tuner who will take an entire week to reprogram the ECU. Once I get it back I will reach a final verdict and post my dyno results. Even if it makes the 425rwhp that the tuner assures me of, I may still sell the kit because I fear that it's no longer a good idea to keep it. I doubt anybody on this forum would be interested since most members here are C32 owners but a few C55 owners might be interested on other forums and on Ebay.
$1,400 settlement??? - that is f@#$ed up! Somebody needs to organize a 'sitdown' outside this establishment.
In your case, not only have you relinquished your chances of getting $1,400 by returning the SC, but you have also completely buggered up your motor. So all in all, you are going to be out about $15,000. I honestly feel sick and it's not even my car! - a beautiful 2006 C55 and the warranty is clearly null and void. HPS certainly wont accept responsibility either.
You said earlier that you have 'sweating' head gaskets? How do you know this? It's equally plausible that you have a warped or cracked head - especially given the beating this motor has taken. You can't be serious contemplating porting and polishing the heads and then increasing boost on this motor??!!!
Porting and polishing these heads will probably further weaken YOUR engine, not to mention making the water jackets and oil passages a potential weak point in the future. In addition, you may have much more damage than you thought - if you have a blown head gasket or cracked head, it puts air into the coolant system - a whole other set of problems! Hell, the cylinders could be warped.
I feel terrible for you dude - you have certainly tried everything with this current setup, but I wouldn't even chance going the proven route with Renntech/Kleemann/whatever. This motor is going ****-up and it's only a matter of time.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by boohooramblers
$1,400 settlement??? - that is f@#$ed up! Somebody needs to organize a 'sitdown' outside this establishment.
In your case, not only have you relinquished your chances of getting $1,400 by returning the SC, but you have also completely buggered up your motor. So all in all, you are going to be out about $15,000. I honestly feel sick and it's not even my car! - a beautiful 2006 C55 and the warranty is clearly null and void. HPS certainly wont accept responsibility either.
You said earlier that you have 'sweating' head gaskets? How do you know this? It's equally plausible that you have a warped or cracked head - especially given the beating this motor has taken. You can't be serious contemplating porting and polishing the heads and then increasing boost on this motor??!!!
Porting and polishing these heads will probably further weaken YOUR engine, not to mention making the water jackets and oil passages a potential weak point in the future. In addition, you may have much more damage than you thought - if you have a blown head gasket or cracked head, it puts air into the coolant system - a whole other set of problems! Hell, the cylinders could be warped.
I feel terrible for you dude - you have certainly tried everything with this current setup, but I wouldn't even chance going the proven route with Renntech/Kleemann/whatever. This motor is going ****-up and it's only a matter of time.
Even though I've dyno'd my car many times, I would say it's no more than AMG Jerry... Why doesn't anybody claim HIS motor is toast? Remember, my car is a few years newer...I checked out the entire engine at Status before leaving it for Speed Innovations and the entire staff could not detect any leaks. Mechtech and Linh saw some some signs of "sweating" but after I had my car steam cleaned a few weeks ago, there is not a trace of any more leaks.
The transmission is also just fine according to Josh and HOP. Everything is fine at this point but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:21 AM
SPONSOR

Even though I've dyno'd my car many times, I would say it's no more than AMG Jerry... Why doesn't anybody claim HIS motor is toast? Remember, my car is a few years newer...I checked out the entire engine at Status before leaving it for Speed Innovations and the entire staff could not detect any leaks. Mechtech and Linh saw some some signs of "sweating" but after I had my car steam cleaned a few weeks ago, there is not a trace of any more leaks.
The transmission is also just fine according to Josh and HOP. Everything is fine at this point but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

comparing your car to AMG-Jerry's is just ludicrious! He has not had the tuning issues that you have had....
Old 01-22-2007, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
comparing your car to AMG-Jerry's is just ludicrious! He has not had the tuning issues that you have had....
Because he is not running around with a very out of tune motor, with 11:1 compression and a really bad supercharger kit. With that compression ratio tuning is of the utmost importance as it could become a bucket of ratteling bolts really quickly.

Adding a blower should never be done with a nearly stock ecu or with an ecu written by a tuner who is 100% separated from the manufacturer of the blower.

RENNtech knows how to tune their cars, kleemann knows how to tune their cars, but HPS says their car needs no tuning? Think that might be related to the fact that no one at HPS has ever tuned anything before and only got into the car business because they had the ability to autocad out some designes and cnc the parts together with nice fittings?

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 01-22-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:37 AM
SPONSOR

Because he is not running around with a very out of tune motor, with 11:1 compression and a really bad supercharger kit. With that compression ratio tuning is of the utmost importance as it could become a bucket of ratteling bolts really quickly.

Adding a blower should never be done with a nearly stock ecu or with an ecu written by a tuner who is 100% separated from the manufacturer of the blower.

RENNtech knows how to tune their cars, kleemann knows how to tune their cars, but HPS says their car needs no tuning? Think that might be related to the fact that no one at HPS has ever tuned anything before and only got into the car business because they had the ability th autocad out some designes and cnc the parts together with nice fittings?
NICE!
Old 01-22-2007, 12:08 PM

AMG 55, 335i, Mini Cooper S

I was told last week that the M122 is no more. They were not happy with the power and are saying good by. I guess the M112 is still king.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:56 PM

Not an AMG :(
Sorry man - it just sounded worse from your post than it probably is - I hope your motor is all good.
Speaking of - did you decide to get rid of your blower? I assume one of these SC's is yours (since one of the photos has you in it)?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HPS-2...spagenameZWDVW
Old 01-22-2007, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by boohooramblers
Sorry man - it just sounded worse from your post than it probably is - I hope your motor is all good.
Speaking of - did you decide to get rid of your blower? I assume one of these SC's is yours (since one of the photos has you in it)?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HPS-2...spagenameZWDVW
I am willing to part with my kit for $3000 if Jessie can't make more power SAFELY. It will be cheaper than the other two listed on Ebay.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
$3K for a paper weight that doesn't make power? Good luck with your sale...
Old 01-23-2007, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E320CDI, CLK55, and a Smart
I am willing to part with my kit for $3000 if Jessie can't make more power SAFELY. It will be cheaper than the other two listed on Ebay.
Jessie is tuning your car now??? Oh boy.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dan ****
Jessie is tuning your car now??? Oh boy.
So do you have something to share? Did you know that he is gettin alot of play here through JLEVI for successfully tuning several C class cars including FrankW's C32 that made 351rwph and another C230 that made 228rwhp?
Old 01-23-2007, 08:58 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
You mean Jesse or Powerchip software that he "borrowed"???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.11 average.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on Adding More Power to HPS SC