C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C32 AMG supercharger? how many liters per revolution?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2005 | 05:58 PM
Almost a Member!

1990 VW corrado AMG s'charger
C32 AMG supercharger? how many liters per revolution?

Hey guys Im new to the forum Im here for pretty much informational purposes.

I am transplanting an SLK32 AMG supercharger into my 1990 VW corrado, just due to the fact that I found one on ebay and the fact that my stock supercharger is crap and broke.

things I need to know:
1. what is the output in liters per revolution of this charger, I have a close guess but I need exacts.
2. what is the pulley size of this charger (yes I know it has an EM clutch and can not be changed)
3. what is the size of the crank pulley (diameter) on an SLK32 AMG or a C32 AMG?

I already did the calculations and it will go into my Corrado with approx 25 psi :v , YES MY CAR CAN HANDLE IT, I have spent 2 years upgrading the damn thing so I dont want to hear "it wont fit" or "its too big for your car" EVEN if it puts out 1.6 L per revolution it will work. 42 lb injectors and a custom chip are fixing that increase of boost.

remember Im just here for information.... Thank you.
Old 12-31-2005 | 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by potatonet
Hey guys Im new to the forum Im here for pretty much informational purposes.

I am transplanting an SLK32 AMG supercharger into my 1990 VW corrado, just due to the fact that I found one on ebay and the fact that my stock supercharger is crap and broke.

things I need to know:
1. what is the output in liters per revolution of this charger, I have a close guess but I need exacts.
2. what is the pulley size of this charger (yes I know it has an EM clutch and can not be changed)
3. what is the size of the crank pulley (diameter) on an SLK32 AMG or a C32 AMG?

I already did the calculations and it will go into my Corrado with approx 25 psi :v , YES MY CAR CAN HANDLE IT, I have spent 2 years upgrading the damn thing so I dont want to hear "it wont fit" or "its too big for your car" EVEN if it puts out 1.6 L per revolution it will work. 42 lb injectors and a custom chip are fixing that increase of boost.

remember Im just here for information.... Thank you.
The people you need to ask are the SC maker, as seen on the actual SC unit itself. The SC has been profiled and several PDF files exist on its functional characteristics.

The voume discharged depends on the air temp doesnt it. So it then also depends on your charged air cooling system which then also determines the amount of boost you will be getting. Since you claim to handle 25PSI I dont see that it makes any difference since the SC wont deliver that.

As for the size of pulleys and so on you need to calculate not only what is used but also what can fit and how on earth you plan to get a belt to operate this function. So long as you stay within the RPM limits of the unit there should be no issues in getting it run at Vmax.

Buying the SC unit is very easy. Getting it to run is something else entirely.
Old 12-31-2005 | 07:50 PM
Almost a Member!

you try and contact IHI and see if they give you an english response, they are based in japan only reason why I am asking here is because you are mercedes enthusiasts and would be more likely to know.

Yes the volume discharged does indeed vary with air temperature, hotter air = less air as we all know, I did take this into account when I calculated, based the air temperature at 105 F which is about how hot the air was after exiting the charger before. I have an intercooler thats large enough to handle the air and cool it down.

2 things you forgot to factor into your "the unit wont deliver that"

1. the AMG engine is 3.2 liters and my engine is 1.8 liters, the change of displacement = more pressure buildup which means 25 psi, if you really want to see why I am right go here. http://www.sprintex.com.au/Opcon_Autorotor.asp

2. the output of the charger in liters per minute is 16858, forget RPMs for a minute. for my system to recieve 20 psi only takes 12500 liters per minute. Now once we figure my crank pulley size into the equation the AMG charger only puts out ~13500 liters per minute. This equates to my system @ 25 PSI. Yes I do have a wastegate (all superchargers do, dont tell me they dont its called a diverter valve in some systems) and at full throttle it is closed fully, Thus giving me 25 psi @ full throttle.

all 25 psi will be used with the 42 lb injectors and stage V chip. how do I plan on getting a belt to operate this? my car came stock with a 6 slot ribbed belt, the same spacing between slots as the mercedes AMG model. the AMG model has 7 grooves I am just not using the last one. Remember my car is stock supercharged it has the room and the ability to do this. the belt I had before will work, I just have to mount the charger correctly.

as far as charger speed and not blowing it up. the maximum charger speed is above 15k rpms I asked mercedes tech (their germany tech), an amg upgrade kit (evosport) allows for a crank pulley @ 7 ", mine right now is 5.25", I will not run it @ Vmax.

The output I stated before is when it comes stock. the 7" pulley brings it up about 1500 more liters per minute.

yes buying the charger is something completely different than mounting it, good thing for me people have mounted various lysholm chargers on corrados some even bigger than this one (biggest one I have seen is 1.3L per revolution). and the other good thing is that I am getting my degree in mechanical engineering and Im in my 3rd year, so Ive got a few good sources for information as well as knowledge of statics for mounting.

ALL I NEED IS THE STOCK CRANK SIZE OF AN AMG MERCEDES C32 OR SLK 32.

Last edited by potatonet; 12-31-2005 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-31-2005 | 09:11 PM
rrf

diameter is 6 inches +/- 1 RCH.
Old 01-10-2006 | 02:10 AM
Almost a Member!

yay thank you! rrf I <3 U =-)
Old 01-10-2006 | 09:26 PM
Almost a Member!

anyone know how many liters of the wierd and expensive fluid for the supercharger I am supposed to use to fill this charger?
Old 01-10-2006 | 11:30 PM
Vadim-SoCal

anyone know how many liters of the wierd and expensive fluid for the supercharger I am supposed to use to fill this charger?
Do not open it up. It is a pain to reseal it properly. It has lifetime fluid.
Old 01-10-2006 | 11:52 PM
Almost a Member!

being that you seem to know how that system works, where is the oil sealed and how does it get in there? I am going to trust you and not touch it, it came off a wrecked car and was moved around a lot (not always topside up), I just thought that it would need to be filled somehow or that I would have lost a lot of fluid somehow.
Old 01-11-2006 | 12:24 PM
Vadim-SoCal

Oil is sealed in the front section, right behind kompressor clutch. There is no drain or breather. So unless you see oil traces coming from the front you are OK.
Old 01-11-2006 | 01:33 PM
Almost a Member!

no oil seepage at all, thats very interesting to know. Thanks =-)

Jonathan
Old 01-14-2006 | 02:22 AM
Almost a Member!

ok 3 questions:

1. Can I clean the screws off very easily, some sort of chemical I can use, just want to make it a little less dirty.

2. when I turn the charger the spinning slightly gets tougher on 1 of the blades of the 5 bladed screw, not the 3 lobed screw. I only know its the 5 blade screw because I marked it with a sharpy and every time the mark comes around to the top it gets a little tougher to spin. I know the clearances are everything in this charger but I am wondering if I can easily remove the screws or something so that I can see if it will cure the problem, IF I keep spinning it with my hand it will spin I just dont want any problems later, thats all.

3. How does this thing keep cool when the lobed screw is going @ 17k RPMS? is there oil that goes where the screws are? I know there is oil inside the casing for the gears but It seems like screws would start to melt at the temp that it produces.....
Old 01-14-2006 | 10:17 AM

2002 c32
FWIW I think you're going to have better luck here:

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/index.php

If you haven't been there already. Much more technical discussions going on from my experience. It's fast over there though, might not want to post a diatribe, just deal with one small issue at a time and work through it.
Old 01-14-2006 | 11:25 AM
Vadim-SoCal

gets tougher
Most likely one of the lobes is bent or the bearing on the that lobe is damaged. Perhaps this is why it is off the car.

There is no simple way to fix it. IHI does not provide replacement parts yet. Sometime next year, once their exclusive runs out with AMG.

Even if you did get a new lobe, you will need to get a set of special tools and pullers to dis-assemble and re-assemble the kompressor.

Sorry to bring the bad news.
Old 01-14-2006 | 01:41 PM
Almost a Member!

I did the math and if a lobe were bent 1/40" any direction the charger wouldnt spin, either a piece of something is stuck up there or a piece of something was stuck up there and slightly dented something, it spins freely so its going on the car till it blows up, I am buying more of these when I can find them so not to worry.

the car was wrecked in the rear, no damage to the front of the car, 23k miles on the car when it was wrecked. engine worked fine before...

soooo how does it keep lubricated?
Old 01-14-2006 | 07:31 PM
Vadim-SoCal

Lifetime fluid in the front gear section, behind kompressor clutch.
Old 01-14-2006 | 07:56 PM
Almost a Member!

snazzy, thanks vadim =-)
Old 01-15-2006 | 01:06 PM
Vadim-SoCal

Old 01-15-2006 | 04:08 PM

2002 c32
Originally Posted by potatonet
I did the math and if a lobe were bent 1/40" any direction the charger wouldnt spin, either a piece of something is stuck up there or a piece of something was stuck up there and slightly dented something, it spins freely so its going on the car till it blows up, I am buying more of these when I can find them so not to worry.

the car was wrecked in the rear, no damage to the front of the car, 23k miles on the car when it was wrecked. engine worked fine before...

soooo how does it keep lubricated?
alldata says this in the Supercharger Oil specification section:

Specifications

Supercharger oil

Type Mobil Jet Oil II
Old 01-15-2006 | 05:31 PM
Almost a Member!

hehe now if only I had alldata ;-)
Old 01-15-2006 | 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars and boats!
All Data service center is the shizzznnattt if you keep it updated!!!