C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

help !! what could be rubbing in the driver rear?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 c32
help !! what could be rubbing in the driver rear?

so here is my situation.
19x9.5 et32 or 31 et
goodyear gsd 265-30-19.

so i rolled the lip as much as i could and shaved down the piece where the rear bumper meets the quarter panel.
i didn't relocate the bolt, but i shave pretty much up to that point.

i am on h&r coilovers and they seem very soft. when i am in standing the trunk trying to put weight on the car, it looks like everything clears.
but driving on the freeway i will hit a big bump and bottom out and something rubs. Only the driver rear.
I can't figure it out anymore. I feel like I have shaved all I could, any ideas ?

pics are from this link
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/134561-just-wanted-share-pics-my-new-wheels.html
the coilovers are as high as they can be in the rear. I am wondering if its time to get a stiffer suspension set up.
thanks in advance
Eric
Old 02-01-2006, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Eric,

It could be this little hex screw. I'm borrowing this picture from Peter (pc527) as he was helping me with my setup. Try locating this thing in the rear to see if it's rubbing on it. Do you see shiny spots anywhere?
Attached Thumbnails help !! what could be rubbing in the driver rear?-6646627.dscn2955.jpg  
Old 02-01-2006, 02:06 AM

AMG 55, 335i, Mini Cooper S
I have a similar problem, my car ony rubs under hard accleration. When the suspension compress the rear wheels will roll forward just a bit. My tires rub more towards the passenger door. If you look at the wheel arch on the drive side like a clock I would say it is about 11:00. Have you tired adding more negative camber, or you can shave the inside of the wheel hub down. I removed 8mm off the front of my HRE's because they were sticking too far out and creasing my front fenders when I turned.
Good luck and by the way you have a very nice ride
Mario
Old 02-01-2006, 12:33 PM

02 c32
Originally Posted by sdsilverm3
Eric,

It could be this little hex screw. I'm borrowing this picture from Peter (pc527) as he was helping me with my setup. Try locating this thing in the rear to see if it's rubbing on it. Do you see shiny spots anywhere?

Thanks for the tip. I will try to take a look a that bolt.
I know where the bolt attaches at we shaved the hell out of it. but stop just shy of the bolt.

you have no rubbing problems in the rear? your ride is way tucked.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:35 PM

02 c32
Originally Posted by E55Cent
I have a similar problem, my car ony rubs under hard accleration. When the suspension compress the rear wheels will roll forward just a bit. My tires rub more towards the passenger door. If you look at the wheel arch on the drive side like a clock I would say it is about 11:00. Have you tired adding more negative camber, or you can shave the inside of the wheel hub down. I removed 8mm off the front of my HRE's because they were sticking too far out and creasing my front fenders when I turned.
Good luck and by the way you have a very nice ride
Mario
The thought has crossed my mind mario. Just to shave down the hub and the adding camber. I would hate to ruin the tires faster, but i think i hate rubbing even more.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by eglee413
Thanks for the tip. I will try to take a look a that bolt.
I know where the bolt attaches at we shaved the hell out of it. but stop just shy of the bolt.

you have no rubbing problems in the rear? your ride is way tucked.
I have a slight rub when I corner very hard or have people in the back. I need to get it back on the lift to take care of it once and for all. I rarely have people in my back seat so it's not a big deal right now but I'm sure it'll start to annoy me when I can't take turns the way I want to. Good luck with this because I know it can be difficult to locate if it's just a very slight rub.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:31 PM

02 c32
the other option i was thinking is since the shock and spring are separate in the rear. maybe changing to a stiffer koni in the rear.
any thoughts?
Old 02-01-2006, 08:01 PM

'14 428i M-Sport, '02 C32 AMG
i have H&R coilovers on my c32, and 265/30/19 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires as well. it rubbed like crazy. i raised the rear H&R coilover to the highest position, no more rub. the goodyears have a tall sidewall, and 265 is quite wide already for the w203. fyi my fenders were rolled as well
Old 02-01-2006, 08:19 PM

02 c32
kev, i am at the higest setting in the rears too. maybe playing with the camber might do something ? i dunno. what a pain.
i like the tires alot, but with all these problems, i might go to toyo or falken in the future.

off topic, but i would love to see your car in person some day. i am in the east bay fremont area. ironically, i used to own a e36 also.... small world.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:41 PM

'14 428i M-Sport, '02 C32 AMG
eglee - i used to have falken grb-fk451 and my car was really really low in the rear with 265/30/19 no rubbing even with people riding in the back. the goodyears are considerably more difficult to fit without rubbing...

i am in san mateo / burlingame area. in la right now tho.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:32 PM

05 c55
my car was rubbing for the longest time over bumps, hard cornering, and acceleration especially when i had people in the back. the wheels are 19 X 9.5 in the rear so i knew i had the right size. i took it to the local shop and they just took my spacers out (i didn't even know i had spacers)and it was fine (and FREE). take it to a wheel shop and ask them for advice. just a thought