Detailed look at EVO's RS4 vs M3 vs C55 article

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Detailed look at EVO's RS4 vs M3 vs C55 article

Hi all. I finally picked up February's issue of UK's Evo magazine. As mentioned in another earlier thread here, that issue had a comparison test between the RS4, M3 CS (competition package in N. America) and C55. I was really looking forward to read the article. As usual, I expected the C55 to come last in these comparisons, especially from "performance" oriented magazine like Evo. And my expectations were met, as the final score was the following: 5 stars for both the RS4 and M3 CS, and 4 stars for the C55. Ultimately, they chose the M3 CS to be the ultimate winner. It wasn't the fastest, but the great steering, balance when at the handling limit, and the sheer driving joy the M3 CS produced were the deciding factors.

However, when I read the article, I was pleasantly surprised by how well the C55 did, both by the numbers and by what the author of the article wrote.

To start off with, both the RS4 and and M3 CS are sort of a step above the C55. Compared to the S4, the RS4 has much more power and an active suspension management system which really helps minimize body roll during cornering. The M3 CS has the same super stiff suspension setup and the quicker steering ratio as the track oriented M3 CSL, which is a significant upgrade to the standard M3. Both the RS4 and M3 CS had significantly more rubber as well (265/30R19 on the M3 and 255/35R19 on the RS4) compared to the stock 245/35R18 on the C55.

They tested the cars in the winding roads in Wales and they also tested the cars on the Evo benchmark track (1.8miles). The lap times were the following: RS4 - 88.6 seconds, M3 CS - 89.8 seconds, C55 - 90.1 seconds.

The RS4 was clearly the fastest, being a full 1.2 seconds ahead of the M3 CS. However, the C55 was only 0.3 seconds behind the M3 CS. (I wonder how the standard M3 without the track oriented suspension and steering would have done. Consistent with the identical Nurburgring times, I still maintain that a C55's objective track performance is very comparable to the standard M3).

Last edited by PC Valkyrie; 02-06-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

some quotes from the article

The following are some quotes from the article (with an emphasis on what they thought about the C55).

"Parked side-by-side, all three cars gently pulsing to the beat of their potent engines and gradually shedding the thick layer of ice that's clinging to their bulging bodywork, it's the Audi that punches out of the fog and demands your attention. Of course, it's the least familiar, which lends it an air of mystery, but the beautiful multi-spoke alloys, bold face and heavily swollen arches combine to make the sober C55 look, well... limp. Even the M3 seems to be cowering in the RS4's presence."

"Incredibly, when you think of Mercedes integrity just a handful of years ago, the C55's interior feels cheap after the supreme quality and cool design of the RS4. The plastics are hopeless and the dash is a mess of tiny buttons with indecipherable legends. The C-class may be in the winter of its life, but the RS4 makes it feel obsolete already."

"The (C55's) ride isn't as settled as the Audi's: the damping feels slightly less controlled and there's certainly more body-roll and pitch. The steering has a dead patch either side of neutral but then weights-up nicely, and although it's by no means the most feelsome of systems it does start to feel more accurate the quicker you go."

"Like all AMG products, it's the engine that really defines the C55's character. It doesn't rev to the heavens like the RS4's V8, but in the mid-range you can feel the advantage of that extra displacement. Any throttle movement is rewarded with an instant, neck-snapping response, and the thick seam of torque morphs effortlessly into an anarchic, almost shocking top-end. The Mercedes' bombastic mid-range delivery makes even the RS4's mighty power unit feels like a VTEC. The C55 may have just five gears and be hampered by a conventional torque-converter auto, but it's clear that in a straight line fight it's anything but outmoded."

"And the Merc? Hayman didn't get off to a great start with it. He didn't realise you have to engage 'M' on the transmission tunnel for the steering-wheel-mounted up- and downshift buttons to work faithfully, and kept finding himself fully committed mid-corner only for the 'box to kickdown, the tail to snap sideways and the ESP to clumsily tidy things up. Now enlightened (he only had to ask) he's warming to it. 'Incredible torque,' he says, 'nice steering feel once you're up to speed, and although it rolls a bit at modest speeds, the body control is actually very crisp when you're on it.'"

"In fact I'm unexpectedly falling for the C55. It's so full of character you can almost forgive it the dodgy interior and staid lines. And despite a more understeery initial balance than either RS4 or stubbornly neutral M3, it's very easy to impose your own will on the car. The ESP can't be switched off completely, though, which is annoying on track or even on bone-dry, well-sighted roads, but on damp, leaf-strewn tarmac the system is perfectly judged in its most lenient setting (just prod the ESP button and watch for the yellow triangle glowing on the dash).

One particular corner illustrates the point perfectly. An uphill left taken in third and blind until the apex. Coax the front tyres onto line, feed in some power and immediately the V8 takes the modest-looking Pirelli rubber to its limit, the tail edging out enough to require just a flick of opposite lock. Keep a steady throttle and the C55 stays up on its toes, gently drifting, ESP allowing free rein.

As you crest the rise and see the road ahead is empty, a bit more gas adds to the angle. Too much and the ESP recovers the slide. Get it right, though, and the C55 dances with a delicious angle until the road straightens. Then it explodes along the next straight in one violent lunge. Few cars have such a grin factor."

"By contrast the Mercedes feels remarkably average on a quick squirt, but beneath the off-putting 'box and initially odd steering feel is a chassis that is incredibly engaging. Even so, it can't scale the heights of the Audi or BMW. It's a softer, less focussed product. Still, its peachy balance shows that AMG could really deliver the goods if they wanted to."

"No surprises then. It comes down to RS4 and M3 CS. After ten minutes behind the wheel the RS4 was my winner. It's got the looks, the interior, the edge on performance. Forty-eight hours later, the deft balance, awesome adjustability and sheer exuberance of the M3 CS seemed insurmountable. It gives you so many options, and I don't just mean you can oversteer it all day long (which you can). It has incredible balance, and it's so responsive to your inputs that you feel intimately involved through every part of every corner. For you and me, that's what really counts."
Old 02-06-2006, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
silver 2002 c32 amg
i got this copy as well just to read this comparison. Like you i didn't expect the c55 to do too well and was pleasantly suprised by some of the comments, not bad for what is basically a 5 year old design

the m3 still seems to win most of these comparisons which is understandable considering its such a driver focused product and is always praised for its rewarding drive. yet as a long term everyday driver many would seem to prefer the c55's more comfortable and forgiving nature and this has been stated by the mags which have done long term tests...

lets hope that mercedes/amg make the c63 and then we'll see how things stack up
Old 02-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Maybe it's just me but I much prefer the 2005/6 C class interior over the RS4's.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by timberman
ithe m3 still seems to win most of these comparisons which is understandable considering its such a driver focused product and is always praised for its rewarding drive. yet as a long term everyday driver many would seem to prefer the c55's more comfortable and forgiving nature and this has been stated by the mags which have done long term tests...
I totally agree with you. The more I think about this, the more impressed I am with the C55's objective performance on a track. As a track car (or if you regularly power-oversteer on the streets), there is no doubt the M3 is king in terms of driving experience and enjoyment. Because it is a "less focussed product" on the track, the C55 is a superior road car for most people, mainly because of a more forgiving ride, less road noise, and more accessible power in the low rpm range. Despite this, it hangs in with the track focused M3 CS (and the standard M3) if you need it to.

The RS4 is another story. The C55 and M3 are simply overpowered right now in terms of brute acceleration.

Last edited by PC Valkyrie; 02-07-2006 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Good article , thanks !
C55 rules!
Old 02-09-2006, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Link to article:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/roadtes...wer_shift.html
Old 02-09-2006, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
New engines for BMW and AMG

Just picked a few links and translated articles from bimmer forums:

New super engines from BMW

New super-engines from BMW ?
Saturday 04 February 2006 09:37:01 by Luca
Autobild has some news on future super-engines from BMW, mainly for the 3 and 5-Series. First of all, the already notorious 4-liter V8 from the Motorsport division for the new M3 (425 hp).
A range of turbocharged gasoline engine seems to be in the works. These should be denoted by the initials "tis" or "ti" depending on the "sportiness" of the model. There's talk of a 275 hp 4 cylinder engine and a 375 hp 6-inline.
In the end, the super-diesels. Autobild says that BMW wants the 4 cylinder 2 liter diesel engine to go over the 200 hp limit (soon!), while the 3.0 liter 6 cylinder engine should gain two new power steps (250 hp and 300 hp). Autobild doesn't say which of these engines will be a twin-turbo system like the 535d.

AMG new engines (in German)

BMW und Mercedes-Benz gehen ähnliche Wege. Während Audi vom Start weg den
Direkteinspritzer favorisiert, stellt die Konkurrenz Zug um Zug um. Die Münchener planen für den BMW M3 einen 4,4-Liter-V8-Sauger mit 425 PS und Siebengang-Doppelkupplungsgetriebe. Ob das reicht? Schließlich legt Mercedes die Meßlatte für den neuen C 63 AMG auf 503 PS. Im Hintergrund unternimmt bereits ein 5,5-Liter-V8-Biturbo mit über 600 PS erste Gehversuche.

Auch bei BMW ist nicht jeder Turbo-Benziner ein Hochleistungsmotor. Wie die Zusatzbezeichnungen ti und tis vermuten lassen, wird je nach Modell und Einsatzzweck gesplittet. Wo der eine Turbo schon bei 2000 Touren für maximalen Kraftschub sorgt, verteilt der andere Turbo durch sequentielle Aufladung seine Kraft über ein breiteres Drehzahlband. Die Leistungsspitzen liegen bei 275 PS für den Vierzylinder und bei etwa 375 PS für den Sechszylinder.

Auch die Diesel werden immer stärker. BMW will mit dem Zweiliter schon bald die 200-PS-Marke knacken. Der Dreiliter, der als Biturbo-Sechszylinder aktuell 286 PS mobilisiert, soll in zwei Leistungsschritten auf 250 und 300 PS zulegen. Keine Überraschungen hinten: Die Heckansichten zeigen wenig Neues. Audi und BMW setzen auf geteilte Leuchten, die C-Klasse wirkt dagegen dezent, fast schon etwas mutlos.

Translation:

BMWS and Mercedes Benz go similar ways. During AUDI away from the start that Direct A splash favored, changes the competition over course around course. The native of Munich plan for the BMW M3 a 4,4-Liter-V8-Sauger with 425 HP and filter course double clutch transmissions. Whether is enough? Finally Mercedes puts the measuring pole for new C 63 AMG to 503 HP. In the background already a 5,5-Liter-V8-Biturbo undertakes first going attempts also over 600 HP. Also with BMW each turbo- Benziner is not a high speed engine. As the auxiliary designations let assume ti and tis is split, depending upon model and targeted application. Where some turbo already provides with 2000 routes for maximum force thrust, the other turbo distributes its strength by sequential loading over a broader number of revolutions volume. The leistungsspitzen lie with 275 HP for the four-cylinder and with approximately 375 HP for the six cylinder. Also the Diesels continue to increase. BMW wants to crack the 200-PS-Marke with the two-litre already soon. The three-litre, which mobilizes up-to-date 286 HP as Biturbo six cylinder, is to add in two achievement steps on 250 and 300 HP. No surprises in the back: The tail opinions show little new. AUDI and BMWS set on divided lights, which C-class works against it dezent, nearly already somewhat courageless.

Another reader's translated version:

BMW and Mercedes-Benz go similar ways. While the Audi favors direct injection from the start, the competition (something something). The Munichers plan a 4.4 liter V8 sucker with 425 PS and 7 gear double shift transmission (?) for the BMW M3. Is that enough? After all, Mercedes 503 PS for the new C 63 AMG. In the background a 5.5 liter V8 Biturbo with over 600PS is trying its first steps.

Not every BMW Turbo is a high RPM motor. As the markings “ti” and “tis” can let you guess, they are split by model and purpose. Where one turbo applies itself to maximum power at 2000 RPM, the other Turbo spreads its power over a broader band. The (Leistungsspitzen = peak power?) are 275 PS for the 4 cylinder and about 375 PS for the 6 cylinder.

The Diesels are also continuing to become more powerful. BMW wants to break the 200 PS mark soon with its 2 liter. The 3 liter, that does 286 PS as Biturbo-6 cylinder, is supposed to go from 250 to 300 PS in two shifts. No surprises from behind: the rear view (?) show little that’s new. Audi and BMW use split lights (?), the C class in contrast looks almost without courage.

Last edited by cntlaw; 02-09-2006 at 09:06 PM.